TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

People who are fans of Avant Rock and experimental rock should check out Akron/Family and Michael Gira's Angels of Light. Both are very very good.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I dug Godflesh's Pure out of mothballs today. I liked it even more than I remembered liking it, and I used to like it a great deal. One of the very few instances of good use of repetition in metal. The riffs are so minimalistic and easy, and they just go on and on and on, to where I get sick of it, but not enough to skip ahead, because there'll be some different thing in there, and I'll wonder how long that'd been going on since I was stuck on the guitar riff or the beat or something. The vocals are starchy and colorless, low in the mix, and harsh.

My Bonnaroo ticket arrived today...should be a fun time, and I wont be alone and at risk of death/arrest this time. Hopefully.

After seeing the Sasquatch festival (Pixies, Modest Mouse, Wilco, Arcade Fire, USE, Bloc Party) at the Gorge next Saturday I will have an 18 hour Greyhound layover in Fargo. Fortunately that same time will be a Modest Mouse show in Fargo.

I will be seeing Medina Lake (ex-members of Blank Theory) with a local band that reminds me of Snot tonight at my local music club...the awesome/furnace-like Warehouse in La Crosse Wisc.

Anybody here familiar with Gabby La La?

Guest Redhawk
I can't be the only person who prefers Game over 50 Cent.

You're not.

Guest Redhawk

I wonder what Puffy sees in Boyz N the Hood that he didn't see in Da Band. Seriously, give Fred, Chopper and Ness the kind of beats he gives BNTH and they'd have a Top 10 video too.

Hey you're the guy from La Crosse. Have any drunk college kids jumped off the bluffs to their doom lately? Seems to happen every year

No falls yet...

But we did have a guy get an icepick shoved in his skull outside a bar, that was strange...

And the guy that shot someone, had a 15 hour standoff with police, then revealed he had been keeping his dead mom in the freezer for the last 4 1/2 years...

Too many psychos in Wisconsin.

I don't like 50 Cent. But I do like G Unit. Weird.

I like some 50 cent songs, but i really don't like him as a rapper. I don't like G Unit, and i don't know about the Game, i haven't heard 1 song

I went to Mindless Self Indulgence last night, it was alright, the lead singer is the weirdest man alive, he's got a crazy voice.

The venue they played at is a bowling alley/bar in omaha, and i've seen many concert there, and I hate the place.

Thank God, i recently learned they are gonna bulldoze the place to make room for a Super-Duper 2 Story Wal-Mart. YES!

Guest Derek Bailey

I'm sure I posted this before, but it doesn't appear to be here. So, on the days old topic of covers...

I heard that Stereophonics have done a cover of 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it yet, but I suspect that it will challenge Muse's version of Lightning Bolt's 'Dracula Mountain' in the brutally tearing all intensity out of a song stakes.

I'm sure I posted this before, but it doesn't appear to be here. So, on the days old topic of covers...

I heard that Stereophonics have done a cover of 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it yet, but I suspect that it will challenge Muse's version of Lightning Bolt's 'Dracula Mountain' in the brutally tearing all intensity out of a song stakes.

Have you heard Uncle Tupelo's version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog." I prefer it to the original.

I'm tempted to buy their Anthology comp reading that. I've got all their original albums but it has about 5 different songs not on any of them like that cover and some live cuts, plus it's dead cheap on Amazon.co.uk.

Well, keep in mind I don't care much for the version of the song that appears on the Stooges' s/t. It, much like the rest of the album, suffers from very sterile production, which robs the songs of their energy.

When I was in Columbus, I heard this band called McCluskey, I believe. The end of their single featured the line Our own lead singer is a sex criminal over and over again, which I thought was the greatest thing I've ever heard. Anyone have any info on these guys? If I got their name right, that is.

McLusky is indeed the name of the band. That song is called She Will Only Bring You Happiness, and is my favorite of theirs. The two albums I've heard, McLusky Do Dallas and The Difference Between You And Me Is I'm Not On Fire, are both solid if unspectacular.

McLusky does this awesome song I know but don't know the title of. It's all about my dad being bigger then your dad and taking more drugs then a touring funk bad. Killer song.

I want to be locked in a recording studio with Agent of Oblivion, a variety of musical instruments and related equipment, and an unlimited supply of alcohol and hallucinogenic drugs, and see what happens.

It's probably not really worth what I'm paying for it but seeing Metric, Do Make Say Think, Broken Social Scene and Modest Mouse for $45.00 is probably going to rip shit up based on BSS alone.

McLusky does this awesome song I know but don't know the title of. It's all about my dad being bigger then your dad and taking more drugs then a touring funk bad. Killer song.

That song is called 'To Hell With Good Intentions' and is a great song. It used to get quite a bit of air time on MTV2 a few years back.

Guest Lawlerm

I'd just like to plug the fact i'm going here

www.rockamring.de

and here

www.hurricane.de

:headbang:

Why are there so many more big festivals in Europe than in North America? I've never understood. There's the Coachella, the odd tour (Lollapalooza, Warped etc.) and South By Southwest (which isn't really a festival as much as an industry shindig) but thats about it. How come?

I just downloaded Lyrics Born's Same Shit, Different Day. I'm only a couple tracks into it, but so far, this shit is BANANAS. B.A.N.A.N.A.S. bananas. It's not just remixed tracks, it's all new material with remixed beats. It's grand, I tell you. Inc, you're gonna love this when you hear it.

If Panopticon was Isis' first album, I don't think they would be labeled as a metal band. Other than Aaron Turner's occasionally growled vocals—which are buried low in the mix and rarely occur, anyway—they seem more akin to Mogwai than (insert a particular metal band's name here).

It's to my understanding that their earlier stuff is more metal; the only of their earlier albums I've heard—Oceanic—appears to be so.