TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Did you ever get around to acquiring a fretless? I remember you talking about it.

A really nice six string, actually. Here's the general idea. Add in the lack of frets and natural wood finish at your leisure.

LB76.jpg

Guest Agent of Oblivion
EDIT: Unrelated, but I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking re: Blood Mountain. How beautifully structured is that album? Goddamn.

Flawlessly. There's some real grabby riffs there. On first spin, I honestly wasn't impressed, but then the digestion process took over.

At this point, my only real complaint is that yes, it's a little too polished, but no matter when the material is this good. The pair of "Siberian Divide" and "Pendulous Skin" is the most perfect album closer I've heard in the last couple of years.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

See, that's where this album succeeds where the previous two sort of failed, I think. Leviathan especially noodles off into the sunset, which doesn't really bother me, and even Remission does that, which is an album that really shouldn't. This one punches, and is immediately climactic.

A couple months ago when I went to the art museum there was some guy playing a Chapman Stick.

I don't remember what he played, but I tossed him some money, so he must have been allright

So, I was listening to the new Califone record today (on the recommendation of Pitchfork), and all I can say is..."Damn, Califone, where have you been all my life?" Seriously, that record is magnificent. First impressions put it right up there with the new TVOTR as the best thing I've heard all year.

I also heard the new Decemberists' cd today. I'm kinda disappointed. It's good...but...I dunno...it left me feeling kinda empty.

I liked it. It was the first Califone I'd ever heard, so I had nothing to judge it against. Maybe one of the Music Folder Elders can validate my opinion for me.

Here's the tracklist for the new The Band tribute cd...

Jack Johnson "I Shall Be Released"

The Allman Brothers "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"

Death Cab For Cutie "Rocking Chair"

My Morning Jacket "It Makes No Difference"

Lee Ann Womack "The Weight"

Jakob Dylan "Whispering Pines"

Gomez "Up On Cripple Creek"

Bruce Hornsby "King Harvest"

Rosanne Cash "Unfaithful Servant"

Blues Traveler "Rag Mama Rag"

Joe Henry "Bessie Smith"

Guster "This Wheel's On Fire"

Widespread Panic "Chest Fever"

John Hiatt & North Mississippi Allstars "Ain't No More Cane"

Jackie Greene "Look Out Cleveland"

Animal Liberation Orchestra "Ophelia"

Steve Reynolds "Stage Fright"

Josh Turner "When I Paint My Masterpiece"

Gov't Mule "The Shape I'm In"

The Allmans & Govt Mule should be good. Widespread Panic will try too hard. Lee Ann Womack & Josh Turner will sound like karaoke. A few others might wok..MMJ, Guster, Hiatt/NMA, Cash...

Jack Johnson (who I honestly dont mind if he just does his schtick and gets girls wet when they go to shows with me) just cant possibly work out.

Guest Felonies!
"Chest Fever" is such an odd song to cover.

I love the organ at the beginning.

I dont 'get' Widespread Panic.

I've known of their existence for years, but have never knowingly listened to them. I feel safe in assuming I wouldn't care for them.

And I like "Chest Fever," but I think it would take a truly weird band to come even close to pulling it off. That the Band—and they've even admitted as such—made it work was sort of like lightning in a bottle.

so i've never heard ray charles's original version of "i believe to my soul," but after hearing 3 white guy covers of it that all worked (van morrison, the animals, & elliot yamin on 'american idol'), i'm convinced it's a great song anyway.

and, 7 months ago, my girlfriend bought me a copy of the new cat power album on vinyl to show me that she loves me, even though she despises cat power. but i can't put it on my ipod, and i can only listen to it in the house when she's not around. which is never. so i've only been able to listen to my own birthday present twice.