TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I was listening to stern and he played a song called "I wanna Fuck You" by Akon. I'm shocked they play this on the radio. Even bleeped out.

Satellite Radio doesn't have to follow FCC guidelines. Hell, he shouldn't even have bleeped it out (if he indeed did)

FWIW, The song isn't bleeped out when it's played on terrestrial radio, it's played as "I Wanna Love You"

I was just watching my SNL Season One DVD last night and Loudon Wainwright III was the musical guest on one of the shows and I really enjoyed his performances.

I was wondering if there were any fans of his, who could recommend me some of his essential stuff that I should get?

I haven't heard any of his music, but the guy is hilarious as the Dad in the criminally-cancelled show Undeclared.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Can't help you on this one, either. I'm not really a fan of any Wainwrights or McGarrigles, though I read somewhere that Kate & Anna McGarrigle is supposed to be one of the best albums of the '70s or something.

Judging by the several new Arcade Fire songs I've heard in the last few days, I'm looking forward to the release of their new album Neon Bible, due out the first week of March. I'm not sure if the name is in reference to the novel by John Kennedy Toole who also wrote A Confederacy of Dunces.

Can't they go away into obscurity.

Anyways, at work today I was told I must be deaf for not listening to good quality music like Panic! at the Disco and Fall Out Boy. :wacko:

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Stories about mooks calling Fall Out Boy "good music" don't amuse me as much as they used to. I feel jaded.

What's your beef with the Arcade Fire?

They're still just one of the better known indie bands in this country, but in Canada—home of redbaron51—the band is treated as the Great White Hope of Rock in the media. They were even on the cover of the Canadian edition of Time! I'd probably dislike them a lot more than I do now if I lived there.

I was listening to stern and he played a song called "I wanna Fuck You" by Akon. I'm shocked they play this on the radio. Even bleeped out.

I'm surprised that people still listen to Howard Stern.

Gave Return to Cookie Mountain another try and reaffirmed my faith in second-chance listens. (I actually traded in Kid A after an underwhelming first listen and now it's one of my favorite albums ever.)

I'm not all the way through the album yet, but it's pretty hard to turn away from the sequence of "Hours" through "Wolf Like Me." I think Edwin mentioned it earlier in this thread - this is not an album that you want to try to cherry-pick through, because all of the songs basically flow into each other (from what I've heard so far). And those four songs that I referenced above are all fantastic.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

So glad you brought that up, because I feel the same way about that opening sequence, expect I stretch it out from the first track to "A Method." However, I think it does fall off after that, and I'm not backing down from my first-listen stance that there's just way too much shit going on sometimes. I really like the baritone sax in "Hours," since I'm just a big bari sax fan, but for every cool bari sax line, there's other noise being made that just feels like it's in the way. This is more during the second half, though. I like that first half a lot because it just sounds cool, but I have no real connection with what's being said or what's being played. It's just an more enjoyable listen than other things.

Stories about mooks calling Fall Out Boy "good music" don't amuse me as much as they used to. I feel jaded.

What's your beef with the Arcade Fire?

What Inc said, and especially the area I live in, where Alexisonfire is from, there are plenty of copy cat indie-emo bands that pop up every day. Not too mention, all of the teenagers here are emo freaks, and indie lovers and also bro's.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Arcade Fire isn't emo, but I don't want to discuss them anymore.

Hey now, we aren't running in the Prince Takamatsu Cup Nishinippon Round-Kyushu Ekiden, so don't be handing nothing over to me. I already got into an argument about the Arcade Fire on here once and it gave me a freakin' bleeding ulcer. I do agree that the Arcade Fire aren't an 'emo' band, dependent on a person's definition of the term.

Topic swerve - the bootlegs of Final Fantasy's Sept. 19th performance in Vancouver (available here, just for reference) are really disappointing. If your knack involves elaborate string arrangements and/or violin lines looped in sequence with a sampler pedal, you probably shouldn't be playing your tunes live on a cheap-ass electric piano. I would have never thought "Hey Dad" or "Arctic Circle" capable of solving insomnia, but here they are, in all their homogenous keyboard glory, completely bereft of any of the textural elements that made them so intriguing in their original form.

Strange. Is the piano thing something new with him, or just a weird experiment? When I saw him open for the (surprise, you can't escape!) Arcade Fire, he did all the sampling and loops live and it was actually really cool.

Strange. Is the piano thing something new with him, or just a weird experiment? When I saw him open for the (surprise, you can't escape!) Arcade Fire, he did all the sampling and loops live and it was actually really cool.

According to the last interview I read from him, he's actually wanting to branch out and write more songs on the piano. Which, if this performance is any indication, could be a disastrous career choice.

His "conventional" live stuff is very good, though - the Over The Top Festival bootleg is probably my favorite, from what I've heard. The looping trick with the violin is something that he took from Andrew Bird's live show, though.

Would I like Final Fantasy? I've not bothered listening to him mainly for his stage name.

I dunno. I think there's a chance of liking some of the better tracks from He Poos Clouds, but I don't know if I'd see you liking the rest of the album; save for "This Lamb Sells Condos", virtually every track is quirk arranged for string quartet. You might find it a bit gimmicky.

Hey now, we aren't running in the Prince Takamatsu Cup Nishinippon Round-Kyushu Ekiden, so don't be handing nothing over to me. I already got into an argument about the Arcade Fire on here once and it gave me a freakin' bleeding ulcer. I do agree that the Arcade Fire aren't an 'emo' band, dependent on a person's definition of the term.

Never mentioned that Arcade Fire was an emo band.

Its just this area I live in, spawns emo bands every day. I just don't get why they are so good and the fellatio's Canada gives to these guys & gals.

Oh yeah, I wasn't meaning that you said they were an emo band, I was just responding to Czech, The Baton Passer. I'm not sure how they got so extremely popular. I guess the stars just aligned or it was all Pitchforkmedia.com or...they came out when Napoleon Dynamite was really popular and the guitar player resembles him or they just make good music. I think they make good music. I think they have passion and this underlying 'fire' that make them engaging. I no longer think they're 'The Greatest Band Ever' like I did the first time that I heard their CD and after each of their concerts that I attended, especially the one at Austin City Limits 2005. I still do, however, think that they write catchy songs and put on a Hell of a live show, full of emotion and passion, however real or coreographed it may be. If I had my druthers, I'd go see TV on the Radio (which I will be doing for a record-setting 5th time April 6th in Houston. I hope Jaleel gives me the 'head-nod' thing again!) over the Arcade Fire in a heartbeat, but I'd go see Arcade Fire over alot of other bands.