TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rising up out of the back seat-nuh

Preach to me!

Okay, I've kinda run out of new stuff to listen to on my lunch breaks, so can people reccommend some stuff to me. Please don't feel offended if I call you a cunt for your appalling taste in music.

Stuff I like:

Broken Social Scene

Madvillainy

Radiohead

Revolver

Animal Collective

Ikara Colt

Manic Street Preachers

Mechanical Animals

Outkast

Sigur Ros

The Libertines

Tindersticks

Blur

Mr Children

Dan The Automator

LCD Soundsystem

Bloc Party

Vitalic

Endtroducing

S Club

Stuff I hate

Encore

Bon Jovi

Robbie Williams

R&B

Blueberry Boat

Nu Metal

Ja Rule

Renee Zellweger

Oasis

Skate Metal

The Darkness

Guest P!NK.
Papa M

Try his Whatever, Mortal if you like folk-type stuff; Live from a Shark Cage if you think guitar-based, ambient instrumentals might be something you'd enjoy.

I'd throw Califone into the mix, if you like Animal Collective. They've got that same kind of experimental thing, mixed in with some folky-type stuff.

Also, I'd say check out some Yo La Tengo, starting with I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One. No real reason behind it, just a hunch.

Pribce good, but never got round to listening to anything outside the singles. Reccommend a solid album.

Sign O' the Times is a classic, as well as Lovesexy. And of course, there is the pure brilliance of Purple Rain.

Eh, I wouldn't check out Lovesexy unless you were already big into Prince.

I guess Purple Rain is the obv. starting point, even though I think he has about three better albums (1999, Sign o' the Times and Dirty Mind, for what it's worth).

Guest Agent of Oblivion

For a random cd to grab, try Dr. John's Gris Gris Gumbo Ya Ya. Greasy filthy stoned voodoo music.

Recent albums I really like:

Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

Morrissey - You are the Quarry

The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

Listen to the Smiths!

Morrissey's solo stuff is more hit and miss (due to the obvious lack of Marr's tunes) but still good.

And The Jam.

On Prince: like Inc said, Purple Rain is probably the obvious starting point, but your tastes suggest to me that you'd very much like starting off with Dirty Mind or 1999. The former is perfect kinky pop; the latter is is dirty jammy dance music with a slew of great hooks. Those 3 albums are definitely the first place I'd look, though. I love Sign o' the Times, but it'd be a daunting introduction.

Also, yes, always more Smiths.

I would reccomend The Shins. Either album is good.

You seem to have open horizons, Sonic Youth is great. I would buy Goo or their new album Sonic Nurse, maybe Dirty as well. Then if you like it, Daydream Nation and Murray Street, which are more abstract, but awesome.

If you like the Automator, get Deltron 3030 if you don't have it. It's tremendous.

The Clash's London Calling is one of those albums that should be in pretty much everyone's library. Tremendous stuff.

You probably at least know of Bjork, I'd download some of her stuff from Homeogenic, because it's a great album that got no radio play.

You might enjoy the first Unkle album quite a bit. It has Dj Shadow.

If you like DJ Shadow, you might like the Avalnches as well.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
If you like the Automator, get Deltron 3030 if you don't have it. It's tremendous.

And Dr. Octagon, bitch.

Pick up some Ducky Boys stuff. I've only heard a few tracks outside of when I saw them open for Rock And Shock '04 (when Misfits headlined, back in October), but it's pretty fun Boston punk in the vein of early DropKick Murphys.

Guest Fire and Knives

Shit, yeah, I forgot about the Avalanches. They're awesome. Get 'em.

K.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Pick up some Ducky Boys stuff. I've only heard a few tracks outside of when I saw them open for Rock And Shock '04 (when Misfits headlined, back in October), but it's pretty fun Boston punk in the vein of early DropKick Murphys.

Did you even look at what he said he listened to? Does it look like he'll be into that garbage? I'd wager a guess of no.

Some good reccommendations by the look of things. I'll report back on them as soon as I finish d/ling.

Of the stuff mentioned, I already own, and like, Deltron 3030, Dr Octagon, London Calling, Homogenic and like The Smiths (The Queen Is Dead sucks though). It looks as though Special K in particular got me.

Did you even look at what he said he listened to? Does it look like he'll be into that garbage? I'd wager a guess of no.

Actually, I did. Boston punk and skate punk? NOT THE SAME, JERKY. There's more of a minor hardcore influence in Boston punk, and a whole lot of rockabilly feel to it. It's pretty much punk at its most purest, or at least as pure as it can get these days.

Find some Deadites stuff, too. Decent goth-y dance shit, and a lot of their lyrics are wrestling-influenced.