TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jer

Tekken 5

For the card users, what have you done to customize your character(s)?

I'm using Asuka and use the callname First Round Fodder. My P outfit has white pants with a red top. My K outfit has the black body suit with blue top, braids (actually pigtails), bookworm glasses, and leg warmers. Obviously I'm using the K outfit more often.

I've got Kazuya in a white suit, with black gloves, a pocket watch and scythe on his back. I also have bought sunglasses, but they looked pretty dumb so I unequiped them. He looks really cool. Rank is 4th Dan, with a w/l record of something like 182/38.

I'm going to play tomorrow. We should have Bruce, Kuma and Wang. Looking forward to trying out the bear and Bruce.

I'm a 2nd Dan with a 202-160 record. Getting owned by tourney players for the sake of learning the system is a great way to make your record float around .500.

Bruce is really cool. Cheese knees are reanimted, not as damaging, and harder to juggle with, but he's got a lot of new stuff to make up for it. His 2P outfit is good too. Finally he has an outfit that isn't just shorts.

I am really impressed with Bruce, actually all the TRCs at this point. I love how they've reanimted tons of the old moves for them. They no longer feel like they're thrown together.

The exception is Kuma. He still sucks, I can already tell. What is Namco's problem? They obviously like him because he's in every game time and time again, yet all they ever give him is comedy moves. I'm sick of having to rely on f+1, f+1+2 and HBS+2. Playing as Kuma feels so limiting and shallow.

And I am pretty sure Kuma no longer has fat character properties for being juggled. He launches and floats just like anyone else. Doesn't jack too?

I've got a Julia, 5th Dan (I had a promotion match to a named rank today, but I lost, dammit). She's 2P outfit, all black. I have her white 2P clothes too, so I can switch it up if I want. She has a squirrel, which looks really goofy, a cowboy hat, and sunglasses that you can barely see. She's about 268-67. Yay lines of scrubs.

I've also got a 3rd Dan Raven that's about 62-14. He's 2P outfit and has a ridiculous looking straw hat. Both my characters are named Jer. I'm very creative.

I agree about the quality of the TRCs. One thing I really liked about T4 was that there weren't any clones. All the characters felt unique. That's still true now, even though there's like 10 more characters, including characters that used to be clones. A cast of 30 characters without any clones is really pretty amazing.

I'm not sure, maybe it's just psychological, but Jack-5 seems easier to juggle. He launches like everyone else, though. That's good for me, he didn't used to get launched by Chang ch 111, iirc.

A squirrel? Is it alive and like moving around, or like a toy one? What is it doing, just sitting on her shoulder? I saw that Law can get river crabs attached to his back.

Yeah, fat characters used to have that weird way of selling launchers where they'd like kinda lean back instead of being launched. I don't think I've seen it in 5 at all.

It's like a toy one, it looks kind of anime-ish, very unrealistic. It's very yellow. It's magically attached to her back.

Ugh, I hate how everything magically floats on their backs.

I just got a Tekken 3 board today. Hooked it up and played it just now. So old school.

Marduk has a championship belt that appears to be stapled directly onto his shoulder.

Are there any sites with images of the items look like on your character? I kinda hate plunking down gold for something that looks like crap.

Tekkenzaibatsu.com's forums have an IC card board with threads for each character. Most of them have a bunch of pics.

Yay new TRCs here! Got to play as Devil Jin once, he looks great but just plays like TTT Jin, kinda boring. His lasers that he doesn't have real control of are a cool plot touch, but they seem really useless. I tried 3+4, and he just jumps up, holds his head and lands. Worst move ever, heh, unless there's some followup. Played against Ganryu once. It looks like he has a lot of new stuff, and he looks good. Not deformed like he used to.

My favorite part of the new release is probably Devil Jin's stage. It looks so awesome, probably my second favorite stage behind Moonlit Wilderness. Jinpachi's stage is also released with the new character batch. It kinda sucks, though, since so much dust and other shit flys up whenever anyone hits the ground that it obscures your vision. If someone knocks you down and then does a low on Jinpachi's stage, you can barely see it.

I read Devil Jin has some kind of airblocking with his wings. See anything like that?

Nope, didn't see that. I don't think I've even seen anyone jump on purpose, except to hopkick or something.

And alas, break is over, and I'm back at college, three hours from a machine. :(

OK, somebody explain frame advantage since I have no idea what people are talking about over at Tekken Zaibatsu.

They're talking about how long it takes to be able to react after doing a move or blocking a move. This is how people determine which moves are safe and which are risky.

For example, if I am Kazuya and you block a Wind God fist you have frame advantage of 8. Meaning you have 8 frames to counter attack me. That isn't much at all, so the WGF is a safe move. I can throw it out without worrying if you're going to punish me if you block. However if you block WS+2 you have an advantage of 18 frames, which is much less safe.

If you go to the Tekken 4 section of TZ and go to Frame Date you can get a better understanding of how it works.

Oh no, Steve has some situational infinite that everyone is flipping out about! Heh, TZ drama is too funny. I do hope they fix it though, because it just feels kind of glitchy. That stun on the (3),1,1 is way too long; it looks like Jinpachi's stun bullshit.

So have people decided that there's not another time release, and Heihachi won't be in the game?

What's up with all the T2 and T3 characters returning out of the blue into the cannon storyline? I thought Bruce died in a plane crash and Ogre had killed everyone else. :huh:

I saw that infinite thread. It's funny how people get all melodramatic and start comparing T5 to MKDA.

I'm convinced there's no more TRCs. I've been playing Devil Jin. Not as impressed with him as I am with the other TRCs. Ganryu seems cool though.

Bruce supposedly died in a plane crash, but Lei thought it was a cover up the whole time and that Bruce was still alive. Apparently Lei was right.

Baek was only attacked by Ogre and ended up in a coma for a year.

As for the others, everyone just assumed Ogre killed them. Namco never said anything about Wang or Ganryu being dead. People just assumed because they were gone and that Ogre had their moves that he must have killed them. Ogre having someone's moves had never meant anything, he had Anna, Lee and Kazuya moves and they were alive at the time. He had moves from Kuma and Bruce and they had never even met Ogre. The only people we know he killed is King and Jun.

Oh no, Steve has some situational infinite that everyone is flipping out about!  Heh, TZ drama is too funny.

I was just reading that thread. Broken characters must be fixed, no doubt, but calling the game an absolute piece of crap because of a single glitchy combo that's very situational is just dumb. I'm sure the drama is because Steve on top of the tier list. If it were Kuma with the glitchy situational combo, I guarantee hardly anybody would give as much of a damn. Hell, they'd probably even applaud it. "OMG Kuma has something useful!"

Kuma with an infinite would be a great day.

I remember when ff+2, JF salmon Hunter was found for Kuma in T4. Same kind of thing happened. The game is doomed, Kuma is now top tier, ect.

This being found does suck though. I hope it's not the first step in T5 getting the kind of hate T4 did. I'm sick of being treated like a second class citizen in the fighting game community because I play Tekken instead of VF or SC.

Oh, and Ganryu has a win pose where his eyebrows wiggle. This makes me laugh every time.

If Namco's willing to patch it, it really shouldn't be a problem. T5 is way better than the first release of SC2 was. SC2 version A was a mess, with glitchy bullshit all over the place, and a much easier, much more obvious infinate. Cassy's 44[A] was like +39 on hit and 36 frames to execute, so it was just an infinite to itself on normal hit, yay. And there were major universal glitches like fuzzy guard. Namco released a patch, and all that was fixed (although more problems came up later). It's not a big deal, as long as they don't just ignore problems when they come up.

Wow I just saw a video for Tekken 5 on a demo disk from the new Offical Playstation Magazine and now I want it that much more again.

As for the others, everyone just assumed Ogre killed them. Namco never said anything about Wang or Ganryu being dead. People just assumed because they were gone and that Ogre had their moves that he must have killed them. Ogre having someone's moves had never meant anything, he had Anna, Lee and Kazuya moves and they were alive at the time. He had moves from Kuma and Bruce and they had never even met Ogre. The only people we know he killed is King and Jun.

Well I thought that in the story when Orge defeated somebody, he killed them and took their soul hence how he learned their moves. :huh:

Well I thought that in the story when Orge defeated somebody, he killed them and took their soul hence how he learned their moves. :huh:

Namco never actually said that he did that. Everyone just assumed it because he had people's moves who weren't in Tekken 3. But that has never made sense. Look at his movelist. He has moves for Anna...who is IN Tekken 3. He has moves for Bruce...who "died" in a plane crash. He has moves for Kuma...who died of old age. He has moves for Kazuya...who had fallen into a volcano. Half his moves are from people he couldn't possibly have met. Yet because he has Wang's moves and Wang isn't in the game everybody just assumed Wang must be dead.

Ogre has people's moves just because namco wanted a big all powerful boss and a lot of people from Tekken 2 where missing from Tekken 3. That's it really.

Juh? Ogre killed King?

Yeah. The King in Tekken 3, 4 and 5 is a different guy than the one in Tekken 1 and 2.

God, playing as Kuma is so frustrating. His ff2 demon uppercut will just randomly pass through the opponent even when you CLEARLY should hit them. It's not just me either, as other Kuma fans are complaining about it at Zaibatsu. I had it happen to me like 3 times just last night. What is Namco's deal with screwing Kuma?