TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

10yr girl old cuffed and dragged to jail for...

Scissors.

Posted on Sat, Dec. 11, 2004

Scissors get girl in legal trouble

The 10-year-old was handcuffed and taken to a police station after scissors were found in her book bag.

By Susan Snyder

Inquirer Staff Writer

A 10-year-old fourth-grade girl at Holme Elementary School in the Far Northeast was pulled out of class, handcuffed, and taken to the local police station in the back of a police wagon earlier this week after a pair of 8-inch scissors were found in her book bag, according to authorities and her angry mother.

School district and police officials said yesterday that they were following state law and procedures in dealing with students who have weapons on school property. They say that those rules demand police be called and that procedures call for handcuffing suspects regardless of age or crime.

Porsche Brown's mother, Rose Jackson, was outraged.

"My daughter cried and cried," Jackson said yesterday. "She had no idea what she did was wrong. I think that was way too harsh."

Jackson said principal Ethel M. Cabry had known Porsche for four years and should have called her home.

"I want something done to that principal and that teacher. They didn't notify me about my baby. They called the police," Jackson said.

District spokesman Fernando Gallard acknowledged that Cabry had not called Jackson but said that school police called her when they phoned city police.

School district officials acknowledged that the girl was not using the item as a weapon or threatening anyone with it. The scissors were found Thursday morning during a search of students' belongings after something was discovered missing from the teacher's desk area, Gallard said.

The scissors, however, qualified as a possible weapon under a long-standing state law, and the school followed proper procedure by calling city police, he said.

Porsche will be suspended for five days, and the district will then decide whether to expel her to a disciplinary school or allow her to return to Holme, he said.

City police, meanwhile, decided not to charge her with a crime because they determined that she had no intent to use the scissors as a weapon, said Inspector William Colarulo, a police spokesman. In fact, police believe she had the scissors to unwrap a new CD, Colarulo said.

He defended the police officers' decision to handcuff the child and take her to Eighth Police District headquarters. All suspects, regardless of age or crime, are handcuffed, he said. "The officers acted in good faith," he said.

Jackson, who maintained that her daughter had the scissors for a previous school assignment, said that if the district acted based on state law, the law must be changed.

"This should be done per case," based on circumstances. She said her daughter did nothing to warrant police intervention: "She's like, 'Mom, we use scissors in school.' "

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/lo...10390856.htm?1c

The big question in this story:

Why the hell did the parents name their daughter Porsche?

Awful.

Guest BDC

...how hard is it to take away scissors from a 8 year old? I mean, the wife of one of my professors worked in a urban middle school and took a gun from a kid without a second thought. She thought it was fake, but whatever.

School district officials acknowledged that the girl was not using the item as a weapon or threatening anyone with it. The scissors were found Thursday morning during a search of students' belongings after something was discovered missing from the teacher's desk area, Gallard said.

The scissors, however, qualified as a possible weapon under a long-standing state law, and the school followed proper procedure by calling city police, he said.

Porsche will be suspended for five days, and the district will then decide whether to expel her to a disciplinary school or allow her to return to Holme, he said.

That passage right there makes no sense. You KNOW she wasn't doing anything like threatening someone.. but you aren't sure if you will let her back? WTF?

Scissors?

IN SCHOOL!

Surely you jest.

I blame everyone involved for just being stupid. Well, not the daughter and mother but the school and police.

Guest Failed Mascot

Its not surprising that our education rates are so low when they keep kicking kids out of school for bringing in SCHOOL SUPPLIES. I know a kid around here was suspended for a week for bringing in a fountain pen. The metal tip was "too sharp" for school.

Guest CronoT

If those district officials think the mother of that girl will be sending her back to any school in their district, they're either drunk, retarded or both. Considering school officials nowadays, they probably are.

Guest LooneyTune

I guess all those super-sharp pencils I use to bring to school would get me 20 years to life.

You know, its kinda weird. The older you are, the less teachers seem to care. If a 1st grade has a fountain pen or those scissors they get the book throw at them, but if a 11th grader has the same thing, nothing happens.

Guest Failed Mascot

Not only is it weird, but also ironic if ya think about it. Teens are more likely to use them as a weapon than a younger child. I would think at least 95% of young children think of scissors as something to cut paper with and not people. A teen will easily see it as a weapon if needed.

I remember slugging some kid I didn't like in kindergarten upside the head with one of the wooden blocks. I had to stand at the wall for recess...if that happened today the kid's family would be suing mine, I'd be placed in juvi, and my parents would be put under a spotlight for my "violent behavior".

Guest LooneyTune

I'm still wondering... What kind of name is Porsche?! Thats like setting her up for hooker jokes like "There hasn't been a man yet who hasn't taken a ride in/on (a) Porsche."

Guest CronoT
I remember slugging some kid I didn't like in kindergarten upside the head with one of the wooden blocks. I had to stand at the wall for recess...

Ah, the indescretions of youth.... :P

I remember in the 4th grade ramming some commie Russian kid named Igor's head into a basketball post and I just got sent to the office and had a talking with.

Guest Failed Mascot

Yup, back in my day we learned our lessons via the Code of the SchoolYard. It appears Mr. Rant did as well.

Only time these teachers should be doing this shit is if the kids bring actual weapons. Otherwise let them get pushed and scrape their knees or kicked in the shin or whatever. That's what kids do.

Guest LooneyTune
I remember in the 4th grade ramming some commie Russian kid named Igor's head into a basketball post and I just got sent to the office and had a talking with.

You had the green-light on that move the second you found out his name was IGOR.

Guest Nanks

I cannot believe they let this potentially homicidal girl back out on the streets. Fucking ludicrously lenient Americans.

Some fat kid bully was giving me shit in Jr High, I guess because he was bigger and twice as wide as me, and after he actually shoved me over and I hit my head, I pulled his coat over his head, kicked him in the balls, and punched him several times in where I approximated his jaw was at.

I think I got suspended 2 days, but he never messed with me again.

These zero-tolerance policies are ridiculous. Some girl here where I live got EXPELLED from school for having a Motrin or Advil, something like that at school. It violated the school's zero tolerance drug policy. Fucking morons.

Just another "kid gets kicked out of school for having something resembling a weapon but not really" case. While not as inane as the expulsions for a plastic lunch knife or a 1 inch long GI-Joe toy gun, it still shows where we are as a society right now

Ironically, school officials will be so busy looking for faux weapons like these that they'll probably overlook when a kid brings in an actual weapon.

Guest Jason

well you wouldnt be saying that if theyd found some kid with fuckin scissor stab marks, theyre taking precautions, and with how crazy school violence gets they shouldnt be blamed, precautions were taken, i doubt shell get removed from the school as the cops say she had em for a cd, and who the fuck opns a cd rapper wit scissors anyway. anyway point is, theres not much harm done in the long run so whats the big deal

well you wouldnt be saying that if theyd found some kid with fuckin scissor stab marks, theyre taking precautions, and with how crazy school violence gets they shouldnt be blamed, precautions were taken, i doubt shell get removed from the school as the cops say she had em for a cd, and who the fuck opns a cd rapper wit scissors anyway. anyway point is, theres not much harm done in the long run so whats the big deal

:stupid:

Who opens a cd wrapper with scissors?

Answer: A 10 yr old girl.

I'd say dragging a little girl off in handcuffs for bringing in what used to be a common school supply is a rather interesting deal myself.

I blame white people. And I'm allowed too, cause I'm white.

Guest BDC

Listen very carefully, okay?

She WAS removed from school for having a PAIR OF SCISSORS.

Damn, let's just safety-proof the world, take out staplers, since you can whip the hell out of someone with one.

This is overreaction in a bad way and it is a big deal because people are too damned stupid to use any common sense.