TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace309

Breaking Kayfabe, December 14, 2004!

It’s been a long time since I’ve been in the ring… or at least, it feels like it’s been ages. Walking out after Genesis was one of the hardest things I ever did, and I have to admit that I haven’t been entirely successful in avoiding the SWF like I was planning to. This whole law school thing is hard… but how could I resist when they came to Radio City Music Hall last week? They canceled one of the Christmas Shows for it, which, for those of you who aren’t from the real capital of New York State, is a big deal.

I stopped by backstage, earlier in the day, and I was happy to see all the guys in the back. I’m happy to see that Bill Hearford’s working as a road agent now, and he helped to lay out the Holy Hell match that Max King won. I’ll tell you, that King boy is doing everything right. At first, I’ll be honest, I was a little miffed that he was trying to steal my gimmick, but I’m pleased with how it’s turned out.

There was one guy who wasn’t there, though, and it disappointed me not to get the chance to see Mark Stevens one more time. I thought for sure that he’d have the book for the tag division by now, or at least be sharing it with Chris Raynor (but he’s a story for another day). As it is, though, Mark’s back home with Lynn and Christopher Edward, and I’m happy for him. (It’s been a long time since I’ve seen Christopher, and honestly I’ not sure if they’ll ever let me near him again after I gave him the onion out of one of my Gibsons. What can I say? It was late, after a show, and the kid came toddling up asking for a sip. If nothing else, the taste probably turned him off gin for at least another 15 years.)

Probably my favorite time with Mark was right before the Genesis match. King, Raynor and Edwin were traveling together, and Mark volunteered to go on the road with Landon and I, even though he probably would have had a better time with his Carnie buddies. Frankly, I think he just wanted his own bed, but it was still great of him to drive. Landon needed some good influence, since he’d picked up some bad habits traveling with Spike, Clark and Todd Royal. (As a side note, it’s nice to see Spike cleaning himself up. Here’s hoping he didn’t really burn a hole in his septum.) That’s what happens when you have young’ns traveling together, I guess, but I think Mark indoctrinated him fairly well.

We’d get together with King, Raynor and Edwin for dinner, and then usually drinks afterward. One night, we decided to go to a place with a dance floor. Landon was a little curious, since it was the middle of the week and most of us aren’t exactly the type to go out and do the old soft-shoe, but he came along just the same. He was the designated driver that night, but he didn’t seem to notice that instead of his usual Coronas, Stevens was drinking “gin and tonic” – actually, sparkling water with lime.

Edwin was, of course, out there cutting a rug, and he sidled up while I was on the floor grinding with some girl I’d never seen before. (Long story, but believe it or not I was single for most of the summer.) Well, lord knows I can’t compete with Eddie Mac, but with a couple of Gibsons in me, I’m not going to let him win without a fight.

A few minutes later, with Security grinning from the sidelines, Edwin and I were shooting around a little on the floor. Of course, Landon didn’t notice, but we were just playing around. I got up, and Edwin threw one of the nicest shoteis I’ve ever seen from him. I sold it like a champ, too, staggering all the way back to the bar and… tagging in Landon. He played along nicely, going over and messing around with Edwin once he realized that we were just putting on a show. He threw a shot into Edwin’s gut, and Edwin went over and… yup, tagged in the Heavy Hitter himself.

Mark stepped in and threw some nice-looking punches, then seamlessly called a setup spot. Thirty second later, he had Landon in the Seventh-Inning Stretch.

And dear god, did he stretch the kid.

Now, Mark’s usually not the type to shoot on a youngster, but it was all in good fun, and Landon tapped like a good little man. He didn’t try to fight his way out of it, and when Mark let him go, the whole place burst into cheers. As they headed back to the bar, Mark patted him on the shoulder and said, “And that, my friend, is why you always volunteer to buy the drinks.”

Mark was on Coronas the rest of the night, courtesy Mr. Maddix.

Nice. Seriously nice. I'd definitely like to see more of these!

The torch has been passed.

And I am happy.

Nice job Tom. The "On the Road" stories were always one of my favorite things to write, and i am glad to see them back.

Tom, whatever happened to that dark match you were planning.

Unfortunately, it butted up against finals, and sadly, finals > dark match.