TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jason

Which SmackDown youngster

Guest Jason

Although the RAW brand has its fair share of young performers, SmackDown is more often than not the place were WWE debut new characters to the fans and allow their workers to develop their skills and personas on the biggest stage possible. Some of those men, such as Shelton Benjamin, have wound up performing on Monday nights, but more often than not, SmackDown prospects stay on to become SmackDown megastars, and the current batch will be no different.

In the past we’ve seen young rookies such as Brock Lesnar and John Cena go from being no-name blank canvases, to some of the biggest drawing stars in WWE who could be the men that carry the promotion into the future. But what about the modern day prospects? Which of the current bunch do you see making it in WWE? Out of the many new characters that have arrives (all below) who do you think will be the one that lasts the full-length and have the most prosperous career with World Wrestling Entertainment?

Carlito Caribbean Cool?

Perhaps the odds on favourite of the lot to become a long term star in World Wrestling Entertainment. The talented 24 year old won the prestigious United States championship on his debut with the SmackDown brand, and only lost it though an unexpected injury. Although he’s unable to step into the ring, Carlito remains on the forefront of Thursday Nights and looks set to reset his feud with John Cena once he’s given the all clear to compete. He’s got charisma, a promising character and ever-improving ring skills.

Luther Raines?

Although not generally a ‘youngster’ anymore, the 33 year old Raines is still a new comer to the SmackDown brand, and has gone from strength to strength since his debut. A man with an imposing physic, good mic skills and a large ring arsenal doesn’t come too often, but Luther looks to fit the bill. Is he a long term investment though?

Rene Dupree?

The youngest champion in WWE history, Rene Dupree celebrated his 21st birthday on December 15th with 2 WWE Tag-Team title reigns under his belt. At 21, most Professional wrestlers are still learning their trade and only dreaming of a place in the spotlight, but Rene has proven to be a worthy member of either WWE brand. At times, we see young performers move up and down from OVW to WWE, and Rene could easily have been one such case, but since his arrival on WWE television at a mere 19 years of age, Dupree has stayed put and looks to be getting stronger and stronger. With a successful heel Tag-Title run behind him, Rene could be on the verge of another big singles push, and this time could very well be larger than the last.

Paul London?

The man who made a name for himself dazzling fan in the Ring of Honor is widely accepted to be perhaps the most underutilized worker in World Wrestling Entertainment. At 5’11’’ inches tall, London isn’t exactly too short to WWE champion some day. Both Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero are working proof of that. An amazing talented performer who is young, gifted and has the desire to go all the way, Paul London could be huge for WWE some day, if ever used correctly.

Orlando Jordan?

He was going nowhere fast until he took sides with WWE champion JBL, and since then he’s became a full-time character on SmackDown. Although not always competing, Orlando Jordan is gaining valuable exposure in his current role, which historically has proven a success for future stars. The only thing certain about Orlando is, he’s a very talented performer, but only time will tell if he can take the next step and become a big star in his own right.

Mark Jindrak?

At 27, Mark Jindrak is an experienced worker who has been through a lot of changes in his career. When he first arrived in WCW with his Tag-Team partner Sean O’Haire, many people though Vince McMahon would be rubbing his hands at the prospect signing and moulding these two young talents into big-name singles stars. A few years on, and a WCW purchase later, Sean O’Haire has come and gone from World Wrestling Entertainment, and Mark Jindrak remains. Jindrak is currently in the safe role of a stable, but sooner or later he’s going to have to return to the singles ranks, which will make or break him. Mark was still a relatively unknown performer with WWE fans, and considering he had zero mic-time, it isn’t a wonder that his ‘Reflection of perfection’ gimmick ended so abruptly. As part of the Kurt Angle faction, Jindrak, like Orlando with JBL’s stable, is gaining valuable exposure and should really be given at least some time on the mic. Could Jindrak be a great turn-around story, or will he fade out like so many others?

You could also choose from Charlie Haas, who is in his 30s but still a new name when compared to others, and Cruiserweight Akio. I didn't include John Cena as he's pretty much a cert to be huge, so everyone would rightfully name him. So which of the young SmackDown talents do you see being the longest-lasting and most success?

If London keeps his head down, doesn't complain, and continues to build up a grass-roots smark filled fan base, he will continue to grow in popularity...and when Vince/Steph/Shane/Trips et al look up and see this "vanilla midget" as the only vet standing amongst the steroid freaks....we have the HBK/Benoit/Eddie of the new age...

I've always liked Mark Jindrak ever since he and Sean O'Haire were a tag team back in WCW's final days. I've always been hoping that he would get a decent push, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen for a while.

Once this whole crap is over with. I could see Charlie Haas having a break-out year in 2005 much like his former partner Benny. If Charlie doesn't win the US title till Dec,31,2005 though. hes done for

I would like Paul London to be CW Champion and Rene Dupree or Rey Mysterio to finally become United States sometime next year. Mark Jindrak could go places once they give him a gimmick that can connect with fans even though he really should have stayed as the Narcissit because I felt it was working out for him.

Guest Fook_Theta

Realistically, Luther has the best short term shot. Watch Velocity some time, he just has that look that WWE loves for heels. He would need to be booked around to be a decent heel champion, which I don't think Smackdown! crew plan on doing.

Paul London / Akio getting a nice push would be grand. Paul London seems like he has enough personality to keep a feud going, with the moveset to keep things fresh in the ring. He does need some sort of edge beyond the "Stomp, stomp, CRAZY BABYFACE" stuff. He acts too much like a teenager right now to be considered a badass like most(all?) former major champions were.

For Reigns and Jindrak to get anywhere near 'over', they're going to have to get some sort of personality. Right now, they're just a pair of generic looking tall guys with good bodies, who follow Kurt Angle around. They have no distinctive personality or persona at all, and there is nothing about them whatsoever that makes them leap off the screen.

I'd love to see Paul London work his way up, as I could easily see him someday becoming another HBK/Guerrero style star.

And that's why I want to see them keep the Cruiserweight title as far away from his as possible, as it would probably be a deathknell for his chances to move up.

Haas has the best chance to be a future headliner, and he's still "young" career wise.

London and Akio could be big, but will they ever get a chance?

I've been hearing this "future world champion" shit about Dupree since day one and I just don't see it. I don't see anything that makes him stand out and his performance in the ring is underwhelming. Fuck Renee Dupree.

Guest Phenom
Haas has the best chance to be a future headliner, and he's still "young" career wise.

London and Akio could be big, but will they ever get a chance?

I've been hearing this "future world champion" shit about Dupree since day one and I just don't see it. I don't see anything that makes him stand out and his performance in the ring is underwhelming. Fuck Renee Dupree.

You, sir, have made a new enemy.

Guest theanswer1824

seriously, charlie hass.

if they took him out of his trashy love triangle plot and give him a 'pure wrestler' storyline, it'd be great. that's if they took it serious.

Lodon's 2 week mini-feud with Booker was off the charts, way better than any of the Cena Matches. I hope he sticks with it and the WWE realizes they have their next guy in the tradition of HBK and Gurrero. Whoever said he can't be typecaste as a Cruiserweight is right.

Guest Rrrsh

Haas and Cool seems to be the obvious choice.

Altho they will try their hardest for Luther, I just think they will get fed up with generic-ness.

I`m gonna have to go with Haas.Great heel potential.

CCC,Luther and Rene can get the shot too.As for London,as much as I like him i just can seem him moving that much op the ladder.

Guest Korgath
Three way tie.

Joy Giovanni, Amy Weber or Michelle McCool.

Michelle's not worth mentioning.

Ah heck, neither are the others.