TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DubWiser

Star Wars TV Series

Guest DubWiser

The Kevin Smith Rumblings have been around for a while, but here's Wacky Internet Rumor #2:

Those scoop-loving folks over at the IESB have again been stalking the movie premiere lines these days, and yet again uncovered some potentially HUGE information regarding Kevin's involvement in that much-rumored Star Wars TV project . As we know, George Lucas has been quoted stating that he sees the Star Wars universe heading into television after Episode III has come and gone, and Kevin has been mysteriously quiet when questioned about his involvement with such a project. Now,

"Back in Febuary of 2003 we here at the IESB started reporting about a possible Star Wars TV series. Nothing much was known except that George promised to keep Star Wars alive in other mediums besides film.

A few months ago we were the first to report that Kevin Smith was being considered for some kind of creative role in the upcoming Star Wars TV series. We even caught up with Kevin a couple of times and asked him about his rumored involvement. You can actually click here and here to see the video interviews.

As you can see in both of the interviews he does not deny that he is involved. He actually teases us quite a bit about the rumor. Even the News Askew website acknowledges that he might be involved in the TV series in some capacity.

We are not known for posting many rumors that are sent in by scoopers but this one has quite a bit of validity. This e-mail was sent to me early today and we went as far as trying to contact Kevin Smith's publicist but we have had no response as of yet. Take this as a rumor but if it turns out to be true remember that you heard it here first.

Guys,

You were the ones who had the star wars TV scoop up right?

OK, Can I be the first to confirm that?

I've been doing some [work] at Studio E Productions - the Annex - and a pal's working on a film called Through the Moebius Strip there concurrently.

It features Mark 'Star Wars' Hamill.

Which brings me to the news item.

Kevin Smith and Mark Hamill are doing the pilot for a new weekly Star Wars series. It'll feature Hamill as Skywalker in a 'pop up now and then' role, but mostly, it's new characters, set in the same world as the films.Lots of talk about it here, but don't expect anything until Episode III is out. Its a go project, but I don't think there's much on it yet.

Hope this helps."

So, remember now -- Anyone can make up a story and get the rumor to run rampant. However, something smells a bit true to us when we check out this one. Keep in mind, we don't know more than anyone else, but the secrecy seems possible and would certainly explain why Kevin hasn't outwardly confirmed OR denied his possible role in such a project. It's no secret the he and Hamill have been pals since filming J&SBSB, either. So it certainly is a well-written scoop, with the scent of plausibility. Regardless of that, if Kevin takes this one on, we're extremely interested to see what he'll do with the piece.

Discuss.

Guest LooneyTune

Oh... dear God, no! The only reason I like Star Wars better than Star Trek is because Star Trek was so B-Level looking with cheesy stage sets. Star Wars had the unique characters, locations, vehicles etc. Now if it's a regular TV series (weekly, bi-weekly) it won't be what George Lucas has been doing for the new movies (shit loads of Computer Animation) and will have to look below-par to them.

What next? He's going to release the Star Wars Christmas Special on DVD, with an Audio Track of him insulting it for 90 minutes?

It'll probably be based on the Young Jedi Knights Council or whatever that crappy book spin-off series was.

Guest Scud

I thought it was going to be a cartoon that was based around Luke Skywalker. That would be the easiest thing to do especially since Mark Hamill is a very good voice actor and there is already another Star Wars cartoon out. A cartoon about all of the stuff that happens after Return of the Jedi would be pretty cool but it doesn't sound like they are doing that now.

What next? He's going to release the Star Wars Christmas Special on DVD, with an Audio Track of him insulting it for 90 minutes?

Considering he wants to burn any and all bootlegs, probably not. It's not like he hasn't had a chance to make a buck off of it yet.

It'll probably be based on the Young Jedi Knights Council or whatever that crappy book spin-off series was.

Young Jedi Knights by Anderson and Moesta? It would pretty much have to be during that era, seeing as Hamill is a bit older now. Maybe do the adventures of Corran Horn or something...

Guest LooneyTune

I know he hates it, but why ruin everything by making a TV series? That will take away everything special about the movies (Episodes IV, V, and VI at least) Making a TV series is a better idea than that Christmas Special, but it still smells like a bad idea to me.

(hugs my Wookie)

Saying "George Lucas" and "Why" in the same sentence is now becoming a waste of breath.

I'm just thankful I have the original VHS box set of the films and not that edited horse hockey he released.

Saying "George Lucas" and "Why" in the same sentence is now becoming a waste of breath.

I'm just thankful I have the original VHS box set of the films and not that edited horse hockey he released.

Other than the CGI effects, I couldn't tell you the difference between the two.

Han didn't shoot first? I really could care less.

something tells me this is gonna suck. Bah... anyways, we had something pretty close to 'star wars the tv series' in terms of tone and adventure and exotic aliens, ass-kicking, and flash gorden type sci-fi action, with "Farscape." Let them do it, i bet it would kick all kinds of ass.

Guest SP-1

I really love the Special Edition haters. "OMG Georce Lucas shouldn't be allowed to complete his real vision because we can't handle change!"

It's cute.

Like I've said in previous posts, it's been so long since I've seen the originals I don't even notice anything but the OBVIOUS changes (Hayden Christiansen, the ridiculous Jabba's Palace dance sequence, the Emperor dialogue change in ESB)...shit like who shot first, music changes, graphic additions etc. matter little to me...

I don't really see how this show would work, should it air. If it's live-action, the budget alone would have to be tremendous if they wanted it to look decent.

I'm not down with Kevin Smith being involved in this though......I don't know who decided that he has the talent to pull this thing off. Whoever they are, they're wrong.

I really love the Special Edition haters. "OMG Georce Lucas shouldn't be allowed to complete his real vision because we can't handle change!"

It's cute.

Actually it's more like, "George Lucas shouldn't be allowed to go back and completely fuck up his original films, when they were successful and worked just fine the way they were, by sticking in a ton of unnecessary-at-best, royally-shitty-at-worst additions, under the assinine explanation of it being his 'real vision'."

It's not about being afraid of change - it's seeing the changes and uniformly coming to the conclusion that the changes actually HURT the movies, rather than help them (which is, you know, the whole POINT of changing the films to begin with).

I haven't bought the SW DVD set, and I absolutely REFUSE too, until he relents and released the original versions. If he doesn't - Fuck him. That asshole doesn't get a dime of my money.

Guest SP-1

"He shouldn't be allowed," sez you. "Bah," sez I.

He created it. He wrote it. He had the vision. He has every right to want to get it as close to his vision as possible. I would expect no less of any artist.

Guest Crazy Dan

Well I fortunately have the originals on tape, before Lucas started making changes, so I am not too upset by it.

As for the TV show, man I saw the original TV show that was aired once back in the 70's that had Bea Arthur singing to aliens and no subtitles for the Wookie family. The only cool part of that show, was the animation that introduced Bobo Fett.

I don't know, I just have had a harder time getting into the new movies. I did like the second one better than the first, but the new movies are missing something. What I think it is that the characters in the originals, were far more interesting and likeable, than the new batch. I mean, how many found Anakin's dialogue with Natalie Portman's character (I forgot the name) unintentionally funny in part II. "I don't like the sand, becuase it is rough and hard. But you are nice and soft". I know this not exactly the dialogue, but comparing sand and a hot chick would make most women laugh at you, not make them fall in love with you. So I have had hard time believing that relationship. They really should not let nerds try to write love scenes. Only Obi Wan, played by McGruder, has been slightly interesting and even he is condescending. Lucas instance to keep writing the dialogue for these movies have been a minus, IMO. I am hoping part III will redeem this series, which from reading about, will have the most action. But give me parts IV - VI any day of the week, those were the better movies.

it's McGregor, not McGruder! :lol:

and yes he's been the best part of the prequels by far, followed by Christopher Lee...

to answer Spiff's post about Han no longer shooting first...you think it's takes away from his "scoundrelness"? I mean it was a split second difference between shots, it's not like he got into a huge showdown in the cantina initiated by Greedo...there are several instances where he shows that all he cares about is himself and his money...he won't help Obi-Wan and Luke until Obi-Wan bumps up the price tag...he won't go rescue Princess Leia until Luke brings up something about a reward...he tells Leia to hell with your rebellion I just want my money on their way to Yavin...as Luke is getting ready to battle the Death Star he tells him no thanks I got my cash I'm outta here...he hangs out in divebars and is disrepectful to everyone the whole movie...what more do you need to prove he's a scoundrel?

Ian McDiarmid has been the unquestionable king of the prequels.

Re: Han shooting 1st - that's the first real taste we get of what kind of guy he is. Shoot 1st, ask questions later. That sets him up for the entire trilogy. Changing that scene doesn't fit his character at that time in the movie. Furthermore, you can't tell me making that change was due to Lucas "creative vision" for the movies. If so, why didn't he have Greedo shoot 1st originally? It certainly wasn't due to technology restrictions. The only reason it was changed was because he didn't want Han to look like a bad guy. News flash - he was a "bad" guy at that point (not evil bad, but definitely not a choir boy). Seriously - give me a valid reason to make that change, because I can't think of one.

Plus, it's so much cooler when it was "yes, I bet you have *BLAST*"

"He shouldn't be allowed," sez you. "Bah," sez I.

He created it. He wrote it. He had the vision. He has every right to want to get it as close to his vision as possible. I would expect no less of any artist.

I agree with you in that it's his playground, and he can do what he wants. But personally I think that the "real vision" story is a half-truth. Did he want to add in Jabba and clean up FX like the landspeeder? Of course he did. Things like the Ronto, the ghost of Joey Lawrence and the multi-planet celebration at the end? I find that hard to believe. Just be honest, George, and say you like to tinker...

they are his movies. If he wants to crapify his movies by adding cartoony monsters and bobbles that don't match anything and are just stupid, he should be allowed. I'm just annoyed at the refusal to have the originals on DVD also (the replacement, rather than the changes). I'd pay a premium price on starwars.com or something for those originals ;)

Guest Vitamin X

Kevin Smith doing Star Wars?

I expect long, unnaturally drawn-out dialogue between C3P0 and R2D2 on completely unrelated topics.