TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Interesting matches we've never seen/heard about

Also from cawthon's site:

WWF @ Chicago, IL - AllState Arena - February 18, 2002 (13,967)

WWF Tag Team Champions Tazz & Spike Dudley defeated Brock Lesnar & Leviathan in a dark match.

It's kind of hard to believe that Brock & Batista once lost to Spike Dudley and a Smackdown announcer.  I just quite can't picture how that match would have went.

Well I prefer to refer to him as former ECW World Champion or the human suplex machine......but smackdown announcer works. I'd like to see this match to see how Lesnar and Batista worked as a team. To get to the point hopefully it went with Taz dropping both with a couple of suplexes and Spike nailing the DOUBLE STOMP OF DOOM.

Pretty much the very first match I ever saw was Steamboat vs. Muraco (w/ Mr. Fuji) on PrimeTime in late '86. I remember halfway through the match they put on their robes. Was it cold?

Sounds like it was one of their judo jacket matches.

First ever Rumble?

WWF @ St. Louis, MO - Arena - October 4, 1987

The One Man Gang won a Royal Rumble when both he and the Junkyard Dog went over the top at the same time after 12 minutes; pre-match stipulations stated the winner would earn a world title shot for the next show in St. Louis on 11/7 but OMG's title shot was announced during intermission, angering fans

I've heard that JYD won a Rumble prior to that but have no idea as to when / where. Maybe there's just some confusion over who won this particular match.

I got the results from both Inside Wrestling and the Observer so it's accurate.

First ever Rumble?

WWF @ St. Louis, MO - Arena - October 4, 1987

The One Man Gang won a Royal Rumble when both he and the Junkyard Dog went over the top at the same time after 12 minutes; pre-match stipulations stated the winner would earn a world title shot for the next show in St. Louis on 11/7 but OMG's title shot was announced during intermission, angering fans

I've heard that JYD won a Rumble prior to that but have no idea as to when / where. Maybe there's just some confusion over who won this particular match.

I got the results from both Inside Wrestling and the Observer so it's accurate.

Thanks.

Just for the sake of my confusion, can you clarify if you mean you got the results on the site from The Observer, or the fact that JYD won from THe Observer?

Cheers.

Actually both. Well, Meltzer has said JYD won the first Rumble but I've yet to figure out when that was and he's never provided any concrete info that I've seen. But the results of that night's card also came from the Observer newsletter.

For some reason I found this card to be interesting:

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - September 22, 1980

Televised on the MSG Network

The Hangman defeated Dominic DeNucci at 10:15

Rick Martel defeated Rick McGraw at 6:47 (Martel's MSG debut)

Les Thornton defeated Jose Estrada at 7:41

Pat Patterson defeated Johnny Rodz at 8:30

Pedro Morales defeated Afa at 3:34

Tony Atlas defeated Sika at 5:32

WWF IC Champion Ken Patera defeated Rene Goulet at 1:04

Larry Zbyszko defeated Tony Garea via disqualification at 13:34 when Garea failed to release an abdominal stretch after Zbyszko reached the ropes

Andre the Giant pinned Hulk Hogan at 12:25 when guest referee Gorilla Monsoon gave Hogan a fast count

WWF World Champion Bob Backlund defeated NWA World Champion Harley Race via disqualification at 35:14 when Race pulled the referee into Backlund as the NWA title holder was caught in a sleeper; this bout was not televised with the rest of the show, rather the Hogan / Andre match from Shea Stadium aired in its place

--Can someone explain the deal with Monsoon giving Hogan a fast count? I didn't know Monsoon was a heel at the time. And what was Hogan's status at the time? Was he not looked at then as the future of the company, I'm assuming? Also, a 35+ minute match ending in DQ...ouch. But since it was between WWF and NWA champs, I guess it had to end like that huh.

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - September 22, 1980

Andre the Giant pinned Hulk Hogan at 12:25 when guest referee Gorilla Monsoon gave Hogan a fast count

--Can someone explain the deal with Monsoon giving Hogan a fast count? I didn't know Monsoon was a heel at the time. And what was Hogan's status at the time? Was he not looked at then as the future of the company, I'm assuming?

Gorilla and Andre were babyface, Hogan was heel. It wasn't unusual at that time to have biased babyface guest referees like Monsoon or Chief Jay Strongbow. I don't understand the logic in that but whatever.

I doubt Hogan was looked at as the future of the company a full 4 years before he got the belt. He was just a top heel.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Hogan was a few months away at this point from having Vince Sr ship him to Mid Atlantic, Because of Rocky 3, Hogan quit/was fired and ended up doing the AWA instead

Anyone know where I can get the fancam of The Brawler/Michaels match?

In Thailand the other day, Chris Benoit faced Jaime Noble. I know that's a match many of us would have liked to seen.

Edit: Here's the write-up from the Observer website.

Chris Benoit beat Jamie Noble

I guess it should be money-making match if these two were put in the same ring at the PPV and no doubt ,this was excellent match.80% of the crowd couldn’t remember Noble but when the match started ,they were really into it until the finish.Noble’s chops were very stiff as you can here the smack entire the arena. Lots of basic chain wrestling moves ,which looked impressive.Benoit hit a multiple! german suplex but botched a diving headbutt.Anyway ,he put Noble in a crossface for the submission.

On youtube, I found some really interesting pairings. Don't know how many people know about them... Some of the intriguing ones.

Kenta Kobashi vs. The Big Bossman

Kobashi and Kawada vs. Stan Hansen and RVD (from sometime in 93, I think)

WWF @ Orlando, FL - Arena - May 10, 1999 (sell out)

Owen Hart pinned Kurt Angle with a spin kick

:(

On youtube, I found some really interesting pairings. Don't know how many people know about them... Some of the intriguing ones.

Kenta Kobashi vs. The Big Bossman

Kobashi and Kawada vs. Stan Hansen and RVD (from sometime in 93, I think)

Can you provide links for us lazy folks?

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Kurt Angle did an angle with Tiger Ali Singh on Heat that I'd like to see end up as a easter egg on the eventual Kurt DVD set

Guest Hadley

Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels, Febuary 1990 on wrestling challenge. I SO want to see that match, all ive seen is a review of it on cawthorn's site.

I just uploaded one that I think fits this topic:

Lou Thesz (74 years old) vs. Masahiro Chono (27 years old)

This match is from 12/26/1990, in Hamamatsu, Japan. The then 74 year old Lou Thesz, wrestling legend, takes on his then protege, Masahiro Chono, 27 years old at the time. This would be Lou Thesz's final pro wrestling match, after 58 years in the industry.