TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Why ya like...

Cubs: Grew up watching WGN on C-Band, Harry made me laugh and the Cubs were on every day before that stupid MLB television rule.

What exactly, in detail, is that rule, anyway? I think there might be a similar one in place with the NBA because the Bulls used to be on WGN a lot more.

Some kind of broadcasting rule signed by the NBA and the MLB that pretty much assures FSN gets a majority of the games, which is just plain stupid and annoying.

It's such bull, I used to watch every Cubs game and now I get maybe two a week if lucky since I can't get FSN Chicago.

The Bulls really got hit hard though it seems since I hardly ever see mention of the Bulls on WGN anymore. Which is just weird since they used to be on every damn night.

Football

New Orleans Saints- I've lived less than an hour away from New Orleans my entire life, so it was only natural.

Pittsburgh Steelers- Big Ben this year impressed me and I've become a bandwagon fan.

Carolina Panthers- They were underdogs (1-15 a few years back) and I felt sorry for them. Then the Saints foolishly let Jake Delhomme sign with them and now they are major contenders. Jake is a home state hero on so many levels.

Baseball

White Sox- Lame reason, but my little league team was the White Sox. We catch the games here on WGN and I became a huge Frank Thomas fan as a result.

Cubs- The whole WGN thing...

Red Sox - because they feud with the Yankees.

Colleges-

Nicholls State University- I got my degree there, and spent five straight football seasons in the stadium screaming when I wasn't playing. (in band) Now I'm a member of the Alumni Federation, and probably next year joining the Athletic (sp?) Booster Club.

Tulane- When I was in High School, they invited us to go play for them since they don't have a marching band apparently. They won the game we went to like 67-30 whatever against LA Tech. That was they year they went undefeated, 1998 I think.

Boise State- Blue turf... like whoa... Yeah.

Troy State- Yeah they always killed us in football when they were still I-AA and the year we played them while they were transitioning to I-A, but when we drove out there for the game, the boosters there were very nice to us and gave us all kinds of free concessions. Now it's good to see them being competitive at the I-A level.

I don't buy into the LSU hype like most people in the state. I did go to a game this year for the first time, and it was impressive, but not life changing like some people I know have claimed. In 2003 I intentionally bought an OU hat just to be an antagonist to the people around here. And No, I'm not saying I'm an OU fan.

I've hated Eagles fans since they cheered the neck injury that would end Michael Irvin's career on that horrible Veterans Field turf. Good thing they went 3-13 or 5-11 that season (I forget), but they've only become even more obnoxious during their recent success (and consequent annual choking). It's one, albeit one of many, reason as to why I'm cheering for a division rival to obliterate them this week.

You make it out like all of Veterans Stadium was cheering the injury when only about 30% of them did it. I was at that game, I should know(I wasn't cheering though, Irvin was a jackass when he played but I don't stoop that low.)

Los Angeles Dodgers

Los Angeles Lakers

Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

All local team's. They're the only ones I'll live and die with.

The Rams sucked for 10 years too long before they finally won the '00 Superbowl for me to stay on the wagon with them. After they left LA, I stopped caring about them though. That win is still bittersweet. Too bad, I always liked watching Eric Dickerson run with the ball.

NBA

Portland Trailblazers- The local team so I grew up supporting them. The early 90's teams were great. I still am a fan after all their crap. I loved JR Rider too

Detroit Pistons- Rasheed, Chauncey, & Rip.

MLB

Seattle Mariners- The closest MLB team so their always on TV. And Ichiro rocks

Redsox- Im a Pedro fan so I ended up liking them a few years ago

NFL

Detroit Lions- Barry Sanders fan back in the day and Joey Harrington

Tampa Bay- Loved Lynch, Sapp, Alstott, and Brooks. Too bad the 1st two are gone

NHL

Detroit Redwings- I dunno, I guess cause I like Federov

NCAA

Oregon Ducks- local college and cooler than OSU. By far my favorite college team for any sport

Florida State- Been a fan since mid 90's

Gonzaga- They just kick ass

Arizona Basketball- Ive been a fan since Mike Bibby and Miles Simon roamed the hardwood

I lived in the Toronto area for the first 6 years of my life, so that's where my Leafs and Jays fandom comes from. I'm the only Leaf fan in my whole extended family (although my Dad liked them for a bit there, before the rivalry with the Sens picked up, but he'll never admit to it), which pretty much makes me the target of a lot of abuse at family gatherings, as most of them are Habs fans.

When I was younger, I hopped on the Cowboys bandwagon when they were winning Super Bowls in the early-90s, but I really don't care about them anymore. There's probably about 4 or 5 NFL teams that I mildy root for, but I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of any of them.

When I was really young, I was a pretty big Cardinals fan, pretty much since I liked the Blue Jays, too, and they were both birds who's feathers stood up on their head or something lame like that.

I cheered for the Expos mostly because I live about 2 hours from Montreal and would often go to their games when I would visit my uncle who lives there, but I doubt I'll care too much about the Nationals.

The Oilers are a distant second in terms of hockey teams, partially due to the Gretzky years, but mostly because of their 1st round upsets over Dallas and Colorado in the late-90s. I looked forward to those Dallas/Edmonton playoff games almost as much as I did to the Leaf games.

I was born and raised in San Diego so my favorite teams have always been the Padres and Chargers. I did root for the Angels in 2002 when they reached the playoffs but it was only for that post season.

Guest sek69

I've been a fan of all the Pittsburgh teams since I was old enough to sit up in front of the TV by myself.

I was born at the tail end of the Steelers Dynasty, so as any good Pittsburgher, my main love is football. There's a photo of me at 1 year old (circa 1979) in my playpen with a Steelers helmet on.

Lemme tell ya, after years of suffering with Bubby Brister, Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt, and Neil O' Donnell, it's funny to see all the bandwagon fans and the bandwagon haters jump on the Steelers now that we have a good QB.

(fun fact: Longest pass in Steelers history is a 90-something yard connection from Terry Bradshaw to fellow QB Mark Malone who was sort of the original slash)

It's also fun being a Pirates fan since the early 80s. I swear, I'm agnostic but if there's a Heaven in hope there's a special place reserved for Pirates fans who stuck with them after all the near 100 loss seasons in the mid 80s. Then again, we did get to see Barry Bonds make his major league debut in those cross-era 1986 uniforms with the 70s pillbox hat with the wetsuit-tight 80s uniforms.

Ducks - The first NHL game that I went to was at the Pond and before that I watched their games on TV. They are a good team that has been mismanaged by Disney.

Sacremento Kings - I hate the Lakers because it's expensive to see them play. I like SK because they are consistent. They make it to the playoffs each year and then lose. Sacremento is a good team.

White Sox- Lame reason, but my little league team was the White Sox. We catch the games here on WGN and I became a huge Frank Thomas fan as a result.

Pick one.

I don't live there, so I refuse to partake in the city rivalry madness.

Buffalo Bills: I'm from Montreal, so they were as close as it got for the NFL. Their four Super Bowl appearences and their great players in those days (Kelly, Thomas, Reed) made me a fan and to this day I still am.

Expos/Nationals: This goes back to the '94 season, where everyone in Montreal fell in love with the team, and I was no exception. I stuck with them to the end and will continue to cheer even if they're in D.C.

Detroit Red Wings: They had awesome talent in the mid 90's, plus my favorite player (Steve Yzerman) is on the Wings so that clinches it.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Cincinnati Reds

Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bearcats(basketball)

Michigan Wolverines (college football)

First three local and Michigan because I detest Ohio State.

Being from Australia i don't have any geographic ties to teams, so my favorites are pretty much just random teams i've liked and then stuck with.

NFL- Tennessee Titans. 1999 was the first year i really followed the NFL start to finish, early in the season the Titans caught my eye with guys like McNair and Eddie George and they've been my favorite team since.

MLB- Texas Rangers. Beyond paying a little attention to the playoffs and world series in past years last season was the first i really started following baseball, by chance the Rangers were in alot of the early games i watched so i decided to stick with them, with good timing as i miss the last few seasons of suck and get on board just as things are looking up.

NBA- Portland Trailblazers. After losing interest a bit in the late 90's i got back into the NBA around 2000, for some reason i can't remember Portland bacame the team i liked and it's stayed that way through all the whining, bitching, in-fighting, arrests, pot smoking, game 7 4th quarter collapses, trading Jermaine O'Neal for Dale Davis, repeated playoff losses to the Lakers, the period where they seemed to collect every misfit asshole in the league and missing the playoffs for the first time in 20+ years, if i can survive all that in the space of about three seasons there isn't much else they could do that would turn me away.

Seattle Seahawks: Don't know why, just like them.

Peyton Manning: Always liked the guy even before the record stuff. He

seems like such a classy and humble guy.

Eli Manning: Still like him after the San Diego disaster.

Vancouver Canucks: Really liked Naslund and Morrison, but I hate Bertuzzi.

NHL:

Montreal Canadiens: My dad was a huge hab fan, and I grew up watching the Habs and detesting the Leafs. Where I live, your a Leaf or a Sabres fan. Habs fans are look differently here.

MLB:

Boston Red Sox: I liked them when I was little, until the Jays started to win World Series, then I bandwagoned them. I stopped watching Baseball after the strike, and got back into watching baseball a few years ago.

NBA:

Whatever team Steve Nash plays for, so this year...Phoenix.

NFL:

Seattle: Loved them since the early 90's, and my dad raised me as a fan of them too.

Green Bay: I think I this team because of the actual fans, and when they won the Superbowl in 96? That was a good team.

NBA:

Chicago Bulls: The '92 Finals with the Blazers started it - since then, I've been a die-hard fan.

San Antonio Spurs: From David Robinson to Tim Duncan, I've been following them with less of a watchful eye than I have the Bulls.

MLB:

Atlanta Braves: David Justice and Greg Maddux made me a fan - I had a soft spot for the underrated players they had there in the early 90's (Lemke, Pendleton, Nixon, Avery, Wohlers). The Big Three and Chipper have established them as my MLB team.

NFL:

San Francisco 49ers: The team that my parents handed down to me. To this day, my mother and I will watch the game together (although this year has been brutal to watch). Our family loved Joe Montana and Steve Young, although I followed the receiver core with more of a vigor.

NHL:

Los Angeles Kings: Gretzky... and then later Ziggy.

Niners fans to be all bandwagoners

Hey, I resent that! :P

However, you're absolutely right... most of them were bandwagoners, and it was obvious.

Anyway...

San Francisco 49ers - They were the first team I remember seeing play around the 1991 NFC Championship game, and it kinda stuck after that, as I adopted them as my favorite NFL team

Chicago Bulls - 1991 Finals against the Lakers started this. That was when I first started watching basketball, too.

Pick one.

I don't live there, so I refuse to partake in the city rivalry madness.

I don't care where you live. You can't like both.

ANYHOW...

Baseball: Above any other team in any sport, the Chicago Cubs. I like the Red Sox in the AL, and I'll track the A's a little bit to see how Billy Beane is doing but I don't actively root for them to win it all.

NHL: Ottawa Senators became my team when the Blackhawks screwed up with Theoren Fleury and absolutely fell apart in 03. I still hope one day the Hawks will rise again, though.

NFL: The Bears, I also enjoy the Colts.

NBA: Still a Chicago Bulls fan deep down, but I'll watch the Spurs, et al because I enjoy good basketball.

MLB:

The Braves: Been a fan of theirs since I can remember- before the dynasty. I loved watching TBS as a kid and I grew attached to watching them on TBS and I've lived and died with them ever since.

I've liked the Sox for a while but it's nothing like my love for the Braves- more that I want them to kill the Yankees.

NBA:

Nets: I was a Knicks and Nets fan growing up but once the Knicks ran Ewing out of town and Scott Layden was an incompetent jackass I decided to strictly root for the Nets. Even though the Nets traded K-Mart and traded for Carter- I'm still going to root for them.

NHL:

Canucks: My best friend and I both loved Pavel Bure and wanted them to beat the Rangers really badly in 1994 and it just stuck and I've been a fan ever since.

Leafs: I just like them- Maybe it was cause I've always had a fascination with Ontario as a kid or something but I've always liked the Maple Leafs.

NFL:

Saints: I was raised to be a Saints fan.

NCAA:

Memphis Tigers: Raised to be a Tigers fan