TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pochorenella

WWE News and Tidbits for Jan. 14

All credit goes to PWInsider.com

- WWE RAW did a 3.8 rating this week off hours of 3.7 and 3.8. That is up from a 3.4 last week.

- Weekend ratings saw Velocity do a 0.6, Experience do a 0.5, and Heat do a 0.6.

- Rey Mysterio has put in a good word to WWE management about Psicosis so WWE is considering bringing him in. Super Crazy is still expected to come in soon as well.

- Believe it or not, Vince McMahon and Steve Austin will appear together as guests on "The Best Damn Sports Show Period" sometime next week. The most likely days are Wednesday or Thursday.

- Smackdown did an overnight rating of 4.1 last night.

- Based on his work at house shows, Chris Masters will debut on WWE TV as a heel.

So ratings are somewhat on the rise, it seems, both for RAW and SD! Over on Smackdown! Funaki in the Main Event=RATINGS, and RAW gained a half point from the previous week.

And it seems some cruisers are indeed coming to WWE. A Cruiserweight Division push? Stranger things have been known to happen.

Edited by pochorenella

Guest LooneyTune

For those who don't know, Psicosis has begun wrestling with the mask again, so we don't have to worry about the diseased booking of WCW crossing over.

Psicosis masked = better than Psicosis unmasked and dressed like a regular person.

For those who don't know, Psicosis has begun wrestling with the mask again, so we don't have to worry about the diseased booking of WCW crossing over.

Psicosis masked = better than Psicosis unmasked and dressed like a regular person.

Well, that's a good thing.

Although, like with Mysterio, Psichosis masked could NEVER appear in a WWE show in Mexico unless they want him booed out of the building and such.

So ratings are somewhat on the rise, it seems.

Weekend ratings saw Velocity do a 0.6, Experience do a 0.5, and Heat do a 0.6.

???

- WWE RAW did a 3.8 rating this week off hours of 3.7 and 3.8. That is up from a 3.4 last week.

Those shows shouldn't be expected to get high ratings anyways..surprised they've been doing as well as they have for so long. (mainly Heat)

There was a time when Smackdown could barely break 3.2, and hell..WWE as a whole couldn't break 3.4/3.5. So yes, ratings are up.

There was a time when Smackdown could barely break 3.2, and hell..WWE as a whole couldn't break 3.4/3.5. So yes, ratings are up.

SD's overnight rating is higher than the final rating. SD will probably come in around 3.5 or so for the final actual rating, which is about par for the course for the show.

Those shows shouldn't be expected to get high ratings anyways..surprised they've been doing as well as they have for so long. (mainly Heat)

Why shouldn't they be expected to get high ratings? Heat used to get 4's. Velocidential got 1's. That you consider such sharp declines and generally poor numbers "well" is mindboggling. Ok, that *you* consider it "well" isn't, but if it were anyone else...

The final rating will be a 3.3 +/ 0.2 as the overnights that had 4.0's before ended up with 3.4. 3.3 +/1 0.2 has been the average rating for a while.

Guest Loss

I do agree with Rudo. If the company doesn't give a shit about the weekend shows, why should the fans? Why should the networks? Why don't they just cancel them?

So ratings are somewhat on the rise, it seems.

Weekend ratings saw Velocity do a 0.6, Experience do a 0.5, and Heat do a 0.6.

???

I'm referring to RAW and Smackdown!, not the other shows.

Guest Loss

For the record, I also think it can only be good news that ratings are on the rise for both shows as they are trying to push some combo of Orton/Batista/Cena to the top and the march to WM is about to begin. Let's just hope they can sustain it over the long haul.

I do agree with Rudo. If the company doesn't give a shit about the weekend shows, why should the fans? Why should the networks? Why don't they just cancel them?

That's my point exactly. WWE seemingly doesn't give a shit about their weekend shows. they don't even ever promoting...except on that 'special' occasion, where you have Benoit wrestling on it or Trish defending her title or something. Other then that, nothings' really said about them. So if they don't care...fans shouldn't care, which is why it's amazing anyone...watches, which is why I would consider the .5's and .6's well/decent.

Why shouldn't they be expected to get high ratings? Heat used to get 4's.

and when the hell was Heat getting 4's..?? Not unless it was around the time RAW was getting like 9's or something like that. (I believe they did at one point didn't they?) And if so, it's obvious wrestling's njot as popular as it once was, so why should Heat be expected to draw 4's..? (Or not even that much but you get the point)

Guest LooneyTune

When Heat first started airing, they actually put Main Eventers on a regular basis.

So ratings are somewhat on the rise, it seems, both for RAW and SD!

There, I edited it. Satisfied?

Nah.

It wasn't so much misrepresenting the "ratings gain" that I was dissatisfied with, as it was ignoring the depressing state of the B shows. That has been a long-time peeve of mine, though, and too many people look at shows like Heat and Velocity as filler rather than opportunities.

When Heat first started airing, they actually put Main Eventers on a regular basis.

It's obvious this is something they can't do anymore though.

I mean, they go and do something like give Benoit a match on Heat, which turns out to be great, and there's an uproar...about how they're degrading Benoit by reducing him to Heat. They give Jericho a match against stevie on Heat, that was good, and while not as much, and I can remember a few who enjoyed it, there was complaining.

So it's like people expect/want your Rosey vs Val Venis * affair. Or your Stevie vs random local jobber. Because evidently it's a problem when good superstars are actually put on these shows now..

edit-

Look at it this way. In one year, heats ratings have been cut in half. Has the WWE audience been cut in half in that time?

But the good thing is, it looks like that .3-.5 or whatever, that stopped watching Heat, are now watching RAW and/or SD. Which is their primary concern in the first place.

Guest LooneyTune

Don't forget, Sunday Night Heat was basically the #2 show before Smackdown started airing. Once that happend, it's been a steady decline down.

No.

The 0.5 that stopped watching Heat are more likely to stop watching RAW. They didn't exclusively watch Heat, they watched it to compliment Raw. If they don't care about Heat, that means they have a declining interest in the WWE and RAW. The first thing that goes is the B-shows. At its peak, I used to watch Heat, Metal, Jakked, Raw, Smackdown... I watched whatever I could. Now? Raw. And not even all of RAW. Occasionally Velocity. Rarely Smackdown. Barely Heat (before PPVs so I can see the sets ;) ). Never Experience, Afterburn, Bottom Line. I think thats the case with most people here.

Guest LooneyTune

Does anyone here actually watch Experience and the D-Shows? I think I've seen Afterburn once, it was like 1 a.m. when I couldn't sleep and nothing else was on T.V.

They stopped showing Afterburn and Bottom Line here when the channel that used to show them (as well as ECW and USWA back in the day) turned into a bible thumping channel.

I watch Experience because (and you can smack me for this if you must) I find Ivory funny on that show.

Thank God Psicosis might wear his mask again-He looks damn ugly without it, IMO

Besides, his mask totally kicks ass

I never did get why Bischoff thought that the guys like Mysterio, Juvi, and Psicosis would be more marketable without their masks.

Masks = Kids buying masks = more revenue at least in that department.

Maybe they would be more personable without the mask, so audiences could build emotional connections on a human level, whereas a mask could possibly cause a detachment. Masked cruisers would be judged only on action, and action without emotion will eventually become meaningless. There's only so much wrestlers can do to make fans go "ooh" and "aah" rather than "oh my god NO!" or "YES YES YES!" as would be the reaction when there is emotional investment involved. So then the marketability comes from people paying to cheer their favourites live or on PPV. Where it goes from "I might get the PPV to see this match" to "I must get the PPV to see if X wins".

Psicosis lost his mask in Mexico. They did the Kidman match just to make it seem like it happened in WCW.

I saw Psicosis a few months ago and he was still wrestling without his mask. It was in Mexico though, so maybe he's only wearing his mask stateside.

Psicosis lost his mask in Mexico. They did the Kidman match just to make it seem like it happened in WCW.

I saw Psicosis a few months ago and he was still wrestling without his mask. It was in Mexico though, so maybe he's only wearing his mask stateside.

Either that or there's something about a second Psicosis that I read about (or at least I think I read about) in the TNA folder a while back.

I think I read that there was a guy wearing Psicosis' mask in Mexico as well as the original Psicosis.

Life has been a blur for me this past year though, so I could be mistaken.