TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Rob Van Dam DVD

is this set just matches, or is there a main feature?

Ill probably pick it up just for the hard to find matches from wcw and some more ecw footage.  I am not a big RVD mark or anything.

and about blurring.  if they didnt do that would the Fund sue them again? is that why? vince should just pay them off and get rid of the blurring and eiditing

The matches are the main feature.

I just picked up a copy during my lunch break today. Note to my fellow Canadians: It's at HMV now.

What's up with Canada getting a WWE release before we do? I thought they were usually a month or so behind us.

It's a conspiracy! :boxing:

If I could explain distribution inconsistencies to you, I would. Actually, instead, I'll spend that sort of time watching the DVD. :P (I can finally watch that Robbie V vs. Pat Rose match!)

On a side note, do you guys think there'll be much in the way of intros for RVD in the footage, particularly in ECW? It'll be funny watching the fans go "RE....SPECT....WALK!" while One Of A Kind (or RVD's other WWF theme) is playing.

is this set just matches, or is there a main feature?

Ill probably pick it up just for the hard to find matches from wcw and some more ecw footage.  I am not a big RVD mark or anything.

and about blurring.  if they didnt do that would the Fund sue them again? is that why? vince should just pay them off and get rid of the blurring and eiditing

The matches are the main feature.

I just picked up a copy during my lunch break today. Note to my fellow Canadians: It's at HMV now.

What's up with Canada getting a WWE release before we do? I thought they were usually a month or so behind us.

It's a conspiracy! :boxing:

If I could explain distribution inconsistencies to you, I would. Actually, instead, I'll spend that sort of time watching the DVD. :P (I can finally watch that Robbie V vs. Pat Rose match!)

On a side note, do you guys think there'll be much in the way of intros for RVD in the footage, particularly in ECW? It'll be funny watching the fans go "RE....SPECT....WALK!" while One Of A Kind (or RVD's other WWF theme) is playing.

I sincerely believe the ECW entrances will be edited all to hell. The only cool thing with ECW is that most of the time, the wrestlers weren't actually introduced until they were both/all in the ring.

Actually, allow myself to correct...uhh...myself on when I said the matches are the main feature:

Some matches are, some aren't. The three that aren't in the main feature are the Balls Mahoney, Sabu (Hostile City Showdown), and Pat Rose matches. Every other match you've seen is in the main listing. The main listing also has chapters of RVD talking about other things, such as the Van Dam Lift, the injury in 2000, the debut of the Van Terminator, the Five Star Frog Splash, and a comparison of ECW and WWE. Chapters-wise, it's a very unique WWE DVD, from the looks of it.

Too bad I don't have a DVD player at work.

wtf n o commercial for this yet, sd just casually put it on the bottom of the screen scroll last night. With RVD out this dvd will have less promotion so it may not sell well outside of us hardcore fans

Haha..they probably held out out so that he'd be hurt while the DVD could be doing buys.. you can look at it 2 ways...

1) Fans will go all over the DVD because RVD is out of action and they want to watch as much RVD stuff as they can...

OR..

2) The DVD will bomb.. and they will therefore have a reason to never push RVD past Tag Team Titles on Smackdown!.

Haha..they probably held out out so that he'd be hurt while the DVD could be doing buys.. you can look at it 2 ways...

1) Fans will go all over the DVD because RVD is out of action and they want to watch as much RVD stuff as they can...

OR..

2) The DVD will bomb.. and they will therefore have a reason to never push RVD past Tag Team Titles on Smackdown!.

I hate to break it you nate but I doubt Rob will ever be pushed past the midcard DVD or not

wtf n o commercial for this yet, sd just casually put it on the bottom of the screen scroll last night. With RVD out this dvd will have less promotion so it may not sell well outside of us hardcore fans

Well, the ECW DVD didn't have much promotion with it outside of Stacy Keibler shilling it before a Muhammad Hassan segment, and it's one of their best-selling DVDs ever.

The RVD DVD has potential of sales. This reminds me of when he came to the WWF in 2001 and no one in the company believed that he'd be instantly over. He was very over in July and August and once the fall hit, he was arguably the most over star in the company.

OR..

I hate to break it you nate but I doubt Rob will ever be pushed past the midcard DVD or not

What I meant by that was that WWE would have a reason now to shove it in all the Smart Marks faces... "Rob Van Dam can't sell DVD's so obviously he can't draw"

$21.99 at HMV (which is normally a much better price than most 2-disc WWE sets I've seen) and I noticed it at roughly $27 or $28 at Music World earlier today.

Guest spidyfan77

My dad actually got it for about 16.00, I'm figuring at Suncoast. There are a couple of reactions I am having to this DVD. 1. It won't sell for shit since RVD is hurt and thus they aren't even promoting it at all. 2. It might sell very well since it is following the very successful ECW DVD. I dunno if selling DVDs is really a harbinger for your future push though.

Having seen it I have to say the overall DVD leaves sort of a sad, longing "What if?" vibe. As in what if ECW hadn't gone under and that Rhino/RVD feud taken place? What if RVD hadn't been buried about 18 months into his WWF tenure?

As far as matches go, I dunno about the selection. There was just way too much from his pre 1998 career, and let's face it, RVD wasn't shit before he won the TV title in ECW. I mean that storyline wise, credibility wise, etc. The DVD is fascinating though in you see his early, almost David Flair type appearance (what's with the rosey red cheeks, haha?), then his early ECW stuff where he had no clue how to do a hardcore style, then as he figured that style out and went overboard with the violent spotfests, then finally as a highly exciting and polished performer he became by 1998.

A forgotten jewel on the DVD is the GAC 01 match with Jerry Lynn, which honestly I had totally forgotten about, possibly due to being sick of that feud at the time and also due to being more intrigued at the unfinished RVD/Rhino feud. But that match itself was a hell of a good match in retrospect, given a strangely different vibe due to Jerry working it totally as a heel with Cyrus in his corner and no Bill Alfonso to be found.

My dad actually got it for about 16.00, I'm figuring at Suncoast. There are a couple of reactions I am having to this DVD. 1. It won't sell for shit since RVD is hurt and thus they aren't even promoting it at all. 2. It might sell very well since it is following the very successful ECW DVD. I dunno if selling DVDs is really a harbinger for your future push though.

Having seen it I have to say the overall DVD leaves sort of a sad, longing "What if?" vibe. As in what if ECW hadn't gone under and that Rhino/RVD feud taken place? What if RVD hadn't been buried about 18 months into his WWF tenure?

As far as matches go, I dunno about the selection. There was just way too much from his pre 1998 career, and let's face it, RVD wasn't shit before he won the TV title in ECW. I mean that storyline wise, credibility wise, etc. The DVD is fascinating though in you see his early, almost David Flair type appearance (what's with the rosey red cheeks, haha?), then his early ECW stuff where he had no clue how to do a hardcore style, then as he figured that style out and went overboard with the violent spotfests, then finally as a highly exciting and polished performer he became by 1998.

A forgotten jewel on the DVD is the GAC 01 match with Jerry Lynn, which honestly I had totally forgotten about, possibly due to being sick of that feud at the time and also due to being more intrigued at the unfinished RVD/Rhino feud. But that match itself was a hell of a good match in retrospect, given a strangely different vibe due to Jerry working it totally as a heel with Cyrus in his corner and no Bill Alfonso to be found.

I agree with you about the "what if" comment. In all the footage on the DVD, you see how over RVD really was throughout his career, so it definitely leads to the "what if he was never buried?" The same holds water for RVD/Rhino.

However, I disagree about RVD not being worth anything until the TV title win. I think he started becoming much more well-known then, but I'd say 1996 is when he started making a name for himself with the Sabu feud. He really became one of the centres of attention in 1997 during the ECW invasion/Mr. Monday Night storyline. I think it was then that he became a household name and it helped that the ECW vs. WWF feud was much more well done than the Invasion storyline in 2001. I think the TV title reign got him noticed more along more fans, but he was definitely something before then.

I dont think that suncoast would ever have a two disc wwe set for 16 bucks. They always charge retail . (ex I got both Benoit and Foley dvds there for 29.95 each and hogans when it first came out for 24.95) Best Buy usually has them cheap when they first come out, then jacks up the price (ecw came out at 16.99 in nov., by the time I got a copy there in dec it was up to 23.95)

Well, like I said before my order for this DVD at DDD for only $5.99 went through, and I got the shipping confirmation email a while ago. I can't wait to check this DVD out.

Well, like I said before my order for this DVD at DDD for only $5.99 went through, and I got the shipping confirmation email a while ago. I can't wait to check this DVD out.

good for you down. thats great luck there.

Best Buy didnt have an ad in my sunday paper so Im not sure. better check the net

Guest M. Harry Smilac
My dad actually got it for about 16.00, I'm figuring at Suncoast.  There are a couple of reactions I am having to this DVD.  1.  It won't sell for shit since RVD is hurt and thus they aren't even promoting it at all.  2.  It might sell very well since it is following the very successful ECW DVD. I dunno if selling DVDs is really a harbinger for your future push though.

Having seen it I have to say the overall DVD leaves sort of a sad, longing "What if?" vibe.  As in what if ECW hadn't gone under and that Rhino/RVD feud taken place?  What if RVD hadn't been buried about 18 months into his WWF tenure? 

As far as matches go, I dunno about the selection.  There was just way too much from his pre 1998 career, and let's face it, RVD wasn't shit before he won the TV title in ECW.  I mean that storyline wise, credibility wise, etc.  The DVD is fascinating though in you see his early, almost David Flair type appearance (what's with the rosey red cheeks, haha?), then his early ECW stuff where he had no clue how to do a hardcore style, then as he figured that style out and went overboard with the violent spotfests, then finally as a highly exciting and polished performer he became by 1998.

A forgotten jewel on the DVD is the GAC 01 match with Jerry Lynn, which honestly I had totally forgotten about, possibly due to being sick of that feud at the time and also due to being more intrigued at the unfinished RVD/Rhino feud.  But that match itself was a hell of a good match in retrospect, given a strangely different vibe due to Jerry working it totally as a heel with Cyrus in his corner and no Bill Alfonso to be found.

I agree with you about the "what if" comment. In all the footage on the DVD, you see how over RVD really was throughout his career, so it definitely leads to the "what if he was never buried?" The same holds water for RVD/Rhino.

However, I disagree about RVD not being worth anything until the TV title win. I think he started becoming much more well-known then, but I'd say 1996 is when he started making a name for himself with the Sabu feud. He really became one of the centres of attention in 1997 during the ECW invasion/Mr. Monday Night storyline. I think it was then that he became a household name and it helped that the ECW vs. WWF feud was much more well done than the Invasion storyline in 2001. I think the TV title reign got him noticed more along more fans, but he was definitely something before then.

He also forgot his teaming with Sabu.The eliminators match on the dvd reminded me of just how good of a team they were.

Some things I noticed.

-RVD's early selling was terrible.Ppl would literally mock him in the crowd when he let out his fake ass "Owwwww" everytime.

-Thank god he got rid of those horridly fake looking karate chops he used in the Axl Rotten match.

-The pile driver towards the end of the Dreamer match that RVD takes is THEE greatest pile driver sell of all time, hands down.He get's no less then 2 feet of air when his head bounces off the mat.Absolutely sick.

-The living dangerously match blew me away as much re-watching it last night as it did the first time.The ending is a bit odd but at the time it played in to the storyline well and at least Jerry doesn't get knocked out.My personal fav of their series and fav rvd match ever.

-Even as the lameness that is Scotty Flamingo, Raven was getting some tremendous heat.Just watching their match was eerie as all hell thinking about where their careers have taken them since.

The only bad thing about the dvd is the theme editing.

The effect of RVD's music hitting at GAC 01 is totally lost.Thankfully I still have the domestic dvd for that.

Also on the Bam Bam match is seems like their is crowd noise placed atop what is already there as it is hard to make out what half the chants are and it sounds really muffled compared to the other matches.

Wish they woulda waited another week or two till they had the rights to the ECW music.

How is this DVD going to make any money if WWE is not even acknowledging it's existence, Benoit, Eddie, ECW and even the fucking Diva search had more exposure than the RVD dvd. Eventually WWE management (HHH) will use the poor dvd sales excuse as a reason for RVD's depush.

Guest rawmvp

Damn, I wish they waited another week, too. I hate RVD's current --and very shitty -- theme music. It takes away from his Coolness Factor.

But now...we'll hopefully hear "Walk" blare over the loudspeakers again when RVD returns from his injuries. Somehow, however, I have a premonition that HHH and the McMahons will be against it, because they fear RVD will be too over (again) for anybody's good.

BTW, I got the RVD DVD from Best Buy for 14.99. They're actually selling it there for 19.99, but I was like, " do you price match? Target has it for 5 bucks less." And the guy at the register was like, "We need an ad usually... let me summon the manager." So, a few other employees come over and give me weird looks after seeing RVD's incredibly gay-ass pose on the cover with neon coloring, and they decide to take me up on my honesty. Anyway, after enduring the humiliation, I scamper off, knowing I got a great deal.

Guest Super Leather

I got mine yesterday at Best Buy for about $20. It's not bad for what it is, which is mostly RVD introducing each match, with a little bit on his ankle injury, the Van Dam lift, and his different moves involving the use of chairs. I liked the Benoit and Guerrero DVDs more because of the career retrospectives, which this one doesn't really have except for the segments used in the extras.

There's still some interesting stuff in the extras, and the alternate commentary on the RVD/Balls match doesn't actually make me want to rip my hair out. Watching Robbie V is pretty funny too, but I imagine they could have used better matches than what they put on there...there's some pretty bad (albeit significant) matches on there.

Best match on there IMO is the Living Dangerously match vs. Jerry Lynn. Much better than the Hardcore Heaven match, especially since Lynn stays conscious the whole time.

$21.99 at HMV (which is normally a much better price than most 2-disc WWE sets I've seen) and I noticed it at roughly $27 or $28 at Music World earlier today.

It was $29.99 at the Music World here, so I guess I overpaid a little bit (though there's no HMV in town).

The only bad thing about the dvd is the theme editing.

The effect of RVD's music hitting at GAC 01 is totally lost.Thankfully I still have the domestic dvd for that.

Also on the Bam Bam match is seems like their is crowd noise placed atop what is already there as it is hard to make out what half the chants are and it sounds really muffled compared to the other matches.

Wish they woulda waited another week or two till they had the rights to the ECW music.

Does he come out to every match with "One of a Kind" or do they just start it with him in the ring most of the time? That's horrible. I can't help but think one of the reasons he's still in the midcard is his theme music. I just can't picture someone being in a main event with music that shitty. Walk was so loud and imposing, almost Austin-like. When it hit, the fans knew it was the guys' asses in the ring, they might as well go run and hide because they were all about to get the shit beat out of them. Wonder if there's any chance of them bringing it back.

What about the ECW DVD? They couldn't play the ECW theme on it?

Yeah changing the themes is horrid on these WWE DVDs of ECW stuff. It really kills the mood since ECW was very big on music like Walk and Enter Sandman, and when you hear that dubbed in crap it ruins the mood.

I kinda liked that Scotty Flamingo match on that, fascinating for a historical curio. I was shocked Robbie V won that one, haha. Scotty actually had somewhat of a push back then.

That Elims match was funny. I remember on RVD's old website he had these commentaries up badmouthing constantly jobbing to them. After seeing that match I know what he means...Sabu and RVD was such vastly better wrestlers than the Elims it wasn't even funny. Yeah they never beat them but ask anyone who saw those and it's pretty clear who the better wrestlers were.

Incidentally I always hated the ending of the LD match vs. Lynn, which makes me not care about the match itself. Personally I think the best RVD/Lynn match is the ECW Arena one where Lynn had hurt ribs (clip of it was on the DVD). The heat there was just unreal, an amazing example of the crowd begging for Jerry to win it finally but NOT really turning on RVD.

Guest M. Harry Smilac
the alternate commentary on the RVD/Balls match doesn't actually make me want to rip my hair out.

It did for me because they hardly say anything. :angry:

It's just basically Heyman putting over Balls every other comment and RVD sitting and watching the match saying nothing.When Heyman is not putting over Balls he offers up a few interesting facts but nothing too insightful.

Way too much dead air.

The "Before they were superstars" was cool to see RVD back in the day as a teenage fan being apart of one of Ted Dibiases little bits were he paid Rob a hundred dollars to kiss his bare foot.

Was this aired on confidential?

Other then that the extras that aren't matches are mostly all fluff and don't last longer then ten minutes each.