TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Pro Football HOFers active or recently retired

Guest Vitamin X

Favre, Manning, and Rice obviously. Those are the only three shoo-ins I can think of at the top of my head. Most of the folks being mentioned in this thread are too young to see if they'll fall off the face of the earth or have a horrible injury, whatever. I agree with the Ted Washington pick, and of course Larry Allen, Kevin Mawae, Alan Faneca, and there's gotta be at least a couple nominations between the Chiefs, Colts, and Packers O-lines as well (I'd pick Rivera on the Pack's line).

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Sapp: Being "dominant" over a 4-5 year span is simply not HOF material. and I used to word dominant loosely.

Take into the account the position he plays. DTs don't dominate for has long as QB, or DE does. Their careers are also more likely to be shorter than others, and peak years shorter has well.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Take into the account the position he plays. DTs don't dominate for has long as QB, or DE does. Their careers are also more likely to be shorter than others, and peak years shorter has well.

How old was Ted Washington last year with the Pats? He held up well. so did John Randle. My point is that Sapp really only had 3-4 noteworthy years, it would be unfair to not exclude others who've managed to keep their play up to par for much longer. Plus at 30-31-32, he completely fell off, to the point were no one really wants him anymore.

Morten Anderson should be under heavy consideration.

Power- Has hit a 60 yard FG, one of the longest in NFL history. (Tied for #3, with 63 being the longest by both Tom Dempsey and Jason Elam.) He's also hit a 59 yard FG to tie him at #5.

He also has the record for most 50+ yard FGs in a season (8) and in a game (3).

Consistency- Has a lifetime PAT success ratio of 98.8% and a field goal success ratio of 79%, despite the fact that 45% of those kicks have come from 40 yards are longer.

Longevity- He has played in the league for TWENTY THREE years. Granted, he's a kicker, but that's still VERY impressive.

He is #3 in PAT attempts, PAT successes, and Field Goal attempts, is #2 in Field Goal successes, and within another year should be #2 or #1 in all these categories.

He should be a first-ballot HOF candidate, but people may be prejudiced against kickers.

They tend to be prejudiced. IIRC, there's only one kicker in the Hall (Jan Stenerud of the Kansas City Chiefs).

Warren Sapp in the HOF is just begging people to burn the building down.

Sapp should and will get in. In his prime he was one of the best DT's in the game.

for all of three years. plenty of guys have done it longer and better. The reason everyone knows Warren Sapps name is because his mouth is always open.

How old was Ted Washington last year with the Pats? He held up well. so did John Randle. My point is that Sapp really only had 3-4 noteworthy years, it would be unfair to not exclude others who've managed to keep their play up to par for much longer. Plus at 30-31-32, he completely fell off, to the point were no one really wants him anymore.

I never meant to exclude others. Didn't really think about whether or not Ted Washington deserves to make it. Now that I think about, Sapp isn't a HOFer at this point. You and Ripper were right he didn't have enough peak seasons, and his dropoff is pretty dramatic.