TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Pro Football HOFers active or recently retired

Been done, but it's good conversation.

Whose a lock if they retire today, who's borderline, who still needs a few more years? What retired players will make it, but just aren't eligible yet?

If they retire today:

Emmitt Smith

Jerome Bettis

Brett Favre

Jerry Rice

I also think it is safe to say that Eagles Donovan McNabb, Terrell Owens and Brian Dawkins will all get in eventually too.

Off the top of my head: Ray Lewis, Troy Aikman, Darrell Green, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Brett Favre, Emmitt Smith, and Bruce Smith are pretty much all sure bets.

Hate to say it...but Tom Brady is probably a lock as well.

Two SBs is an accomplishment, no doubt, but I think he should win another one just to really shut people up, and also not disappear off the face of the earth like a certain hot quarterback from a couple years ago... I won't say his name, but it rhymes with "Burt Barner"

Hate to say it...but Tom Brady is probably a lock as well.

Two SBs is an accomplishment, no doubt, but I think he should win another one just to really shut people up, and also not disappear off the face of the earth like a certain hot quarterback from a couple years ago... I won't say his name, but it rhymes with "Burt Barner"

Also, you have to look at someone like Terrel Davis. After Denver's second SB, and his 2000 yard years, he looked like a stone cold mortal lock, but injuries happen.

Although, if Brady strings together another few years of even average play, or another SB MVP, I think that he will make it in.

Brian Dawkins is an interesting one. He's been one of the best, but hasn't made that many Pro Bowls or redefined the position. I would vote yes on him, but I'm extremely biased. I would like to hear from non Eagles fans on him.

Tom Brady needs a few more years of above average play to be anywhere near a HOFer ... two SB's is not enough, and his stats don't justify him being inducted into a Hall.

And, as an impartial observer, no, Dawkins is not HOF-material. The Hall is supposed to be for great players, not for very good ones. Too many very good players are getting inducted into HOFs ... across the board, not just NFL ... and it's diluting the accomplishment.

Has Thurman Thomas been elected yet? Andre Reed, James Lofton, Cornelius Bennett? Those are all the Buffalo picks that I think of now, Levy and Kelly are in already, and Smith is a lock as well.

Here are a few borderline picks that are active: Eddie George, Peter Boulware, Priest Holmes.

I'd say no to Eddie George. To much competition at his position, and he definitely doesn't pass the excitement factor needed for a running back.

Priest has an awfully long way to go, and I don't think that his legs will hold out that long. He has been amazing the past 3 1/2 years in KC, but that's not nearly long enough to make it to the Hall, again see Davis, Terrell.

That Eddie George's career YPC average is less than 4 is a solid argument against him too, IMO. Just carrying the ball a lot doesn't make you a great player just as simply playing a long time doesn't make you a great player.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Brady gets in on the Jeter exception.

Dawkins certainly deserves consideration. He's been the best saftey in the league for several years now.

guys who I think are mortal locks (not previously mentioned) are Jon Ogden and Marvin Harrison

does Sam Madison have a shot?

Has Thurman Thomas been elected yet? Andre Reed, James Lofton, Cornelius Bennett? Those are all the Buffalo picks that I think of now, Levy and Kelly are in already, and Smith is a lock as well.

Here are a few borderline picks that are active: Eddie George, Peter Boulware, Priest Holmes.

as a fellow Buffalo fan, the only early 90s Bills I can honestly see going to the hall would be Thomas, Smith and Reed...I don't think Lofton and Bennett made a big enough splash in their positions to warrant a spot...

Brady gets in on the Jeter exception.

Dawkins certainly deserves consideration. He's been the best saftey in the league for several years now.

guys who I think are mortal locks (not previously mentioned) are Jon Ogden and Marvin Harrison

does Sam Madison have a shot?

Dawkins has not been the best safety in the league for years, I don't know what you're talking about. This is just false.

If Vinatieri keeps his level of play up for 3-5 more years (hell, he could probably go another 7-10, since this is only his 9th year), he should be a near lock. Especially if he adds more clutch kicks to his resume, because I'm sure some people would equate inducting a kicker to baseball inducting a closer; the guy has to be REALLY good at what he did.

Bettis most definitely will be in, as will Curtis Martin and Jerry Rice (whenever he actually decides to hang them up).

How about Junior Seau?

I think Derrick Brooks has an outside shot as does Ty Law.

I'm biased, but Brooks is a HOF. Might need a few more years to be a first ballot guy, but imo he was the best OLB in football for nearly a decade.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

as a fellow Buffalo fan, the only early 90s Bills I can honestly see going to the hall would be Thomas, Smith and Reed...I don't think Lofton and Bennett made a big enough splash in their positions to warrant a spot...

I think Lofton's in, either that or its the packers HOF he was elected to

Junior Seau.

He was one of the best linebackers in the 90's. It's too bad the team he played for was the Chargers. Now he's with the Dolphins, is injured, and is looking at retirement before next season starts.

He should get in.

The fact that Art Monk was not a lock when he retired when he held records for most receptions, consecutive games with a reception, and a few others, is a crime. To think Michael Irvin will be a first ballot HOFer because he has a gig on ESPN, while when you put their career stats side by side, Monk's are superior in every single category, besides number of times caught with drugs and hookers.

Morten Anderson should be under heavy consideration.

Power- Has hit a 60 yard FG, one of the longest in NFL history. (Tied for #3, with 63 being the longest by both Tom Dempsey and Jason Elam.) He's also hit a 59 yard FG to tie him at #5.

He also has the record for most 50+ yard FGs in a season (8) and in a game (3).

Consistency- Has a lifetime PAT success ratio of 98.8% and a field goal success ratio of 79%, despite the fact that 45% of those kicks have come from 40 yards are longer.

Longevity- He has played in the league for TWENTY THREE years. Granted, he's a kicker, but that's still VERY impressive.

He is #3 in PAT attempts, PAT successes, and Field Goal attempts, is #2 in Field Goal successes, and within another year should be #2 or #1 in all these categories.

He should be a first-ballot HOF candidate, but people may be prejudiced against kickers.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Warren Sapp won't get in. People just thought he was so excellent because he kept telling us that.

The fact that Art Monk was not a lock when he retired when he held records for most receptions, consecutive games with a reception, and a few others, is a crime.  To think Michael Irvin will be a first ballot HOFer because he has a gig on ESPN, while when you put their career stats side by side, Monk's are superior in every single category, besides number of times caught with drugs and hookers.

It isn't the Hall of Stats, it's the Hall of Fame.

Anyone who watched football in the 90's knows Irvin is a Hall of Famer. He was straight up dominant.

One guy who I think might make it is Ted Washington. Very underrated beast at NT who greatly improved a defense wherever he went. Plus has a SB ring.

The fact that Art Monk was not a lock when he retired when he held records for most receptions, consecutive games with a reception, and a few others, is a crime.  To think Michael Irvin will be a first ballot HOFer because he has a gig on ESPN, while when you put their career stats side by side, Monk's are superior in every single category, besides number of times caught with drugs and hookers.

Anyone who watched football in the 90's knows Irvin is a Hall of Famer. He was straight up dominant.

One guy who I think might make it is Ted Washington. Very underrated beast at NT who greatly improved a defense wherever he went. Plus has a SB ring.

Uh-huh and you ask Michael Irvin who defined Possesion Receiver in the 80's and he will say Art Monk and has said so many times before. Michael Irvin and Art Monk are similar players, that is why I compared the two. I am not even arguing against Michael Irvin going in, but I am saying with 100% conviction and stats/facts to back it up that if Irvin is a first ballot HOFer, then Monk should have been, and it is a joke that he is not in yet.

Warren Sapp in the HOF is just begging people to burn the building down.

Sapp should and will get in. In his prime he was one of the best DT's in the game.

That's the problem i see Andre Reed, Irving Fryar, Thurman Thomas, Curtis Martin, and Jerome Bettis having. The stats are there, but nothing really stands out wit any of these guys.