TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

Rock leaving WWE?

On Wrestling Classics they are talking about a rumor that in the newest Observer it says The Rock and the WWE have agreed to part ways after his contract ends in March. I know he's basically gone now, but still him actually being totally and completely gone from the WWE would be very weird.

This is all just a rumor though, does anyone here have the latest issue of the Observer, or know anyone who has it?

They might as well pay him on a per appearance basis as opposed to having him under contract. Its not like he's going to work TNA or something stupid like that while not under contract (they probably couldn't afford him anyway).

Well, the question is then:

Who gets the biggest rub in the history of "sports entertainment?"

Orton?

Jericho?

Benoit?

JBL?

Shelton?

HHH?

Paul London?????

Guest Brian
Well, the question is then:

Who gets the biggest rub in the history of "sports entertainment?"

Orton?

Jericho?

Benoit?

JBL?

Shelton?

HHH?

Paul London?????

Rock's been jobbed out so much it's not a novelty.

I SO wish Rock was on Smackdown. I used to hate his TV work, but he;d help Smackdown so much just with his aura and crediblity in the main event.

Guest Trivia247

guess this means he has taken his ball and gone to Hollywood full time..

we won't be seeing him at 80 years old with a walker gumming...

"JjJjJUsttt bring it"

as he predicted he would when Austin up and left the company

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Its kinda disappointing that the Rock has neglected the WWE so much. I'd like to see him more often, but I guess he's gotta put food on his table.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Me too. It's not like they couldn't fly him out to Raw at least for 2 times a month.

dude, thats not the point. he does need time off, too.

Yeah but considering he doesn't even have a lead role in Be Cool...it's not like he was filming/promotion/production stuff every single day. He's down in some island now filming Doom so obviously that's not going to work out with wrestling...but you gotta think, he could of at least shown up for house shows more often on the West Coast and have a 15 minute promo or 10 minute match...certainly isn't going to kill him. And they could of flown him out to Raw more often.

I'm not saying make him work a full scheudle and do movies on top of that...but at least make an effort. Triple H was able to do that in late 2003.

It's stastically proven in wrestling that if there is a huge name like Rock or Austin or Foley or Hogan...when there is promotion prior to their apperance, both TV ratings and ticket sales go a lot higher than normal shows. With Rock it's gotten to the point where it's like "Okay, they are on Southern California and/or Miami so he's going to show up." Fuck...if they should do a show in Chicago or Boston or something...fans should be thinking "That would be awesome if Rock showed up tonight" instead of not even thinking about it...or thinking "Well, he's definately not going to be here."

It doesn't matter if they made him a WWE Spokesperson (like Michaels in 2000) or special ref for matches or I don't know...some stupid reason that would make sense for why he's on the show every once in a while, but at least on a basis of not every six months doing pointless segments. Or have him come and do a dark match or something for a crowd if he's not going to have a big role on TV...I don't know, just anything. I remember reading about he LEFT during the show after he did the Diva angle, I'm sure he had a flight to catch...but damn, talk about not giving a crap and no wonder, he's got good reason to the way he's used. He could give a flying fuck...same with the rumored JBL/Rock match...god, if that happens, disaster is written all over it unless he can come up with a miracle.

Being predictable is what kills this company and when they try to change that, they do it in the WRONG manner (I don't even have to start with this.)

On Wrestling Classics they are talking about a rumor that in the newest Observer it says The Rock and the WWE have agreed to part ways after his contract ends in March. I know he's basically gone now, but still him actually being totally and completely gone from the WWE would be very weird.

This is all just a rumor though, does anyone here have the latest issue of the Observer, or know anyone who has it?

But isnt he pretty much guarrenteed to be at Wrestlemania 21 (which is early April this year)? So, wouldn't that blow out the "end of March" talk?

The latest Observer isn't out yet.

I believe some subscribers in the United Kingdom actually receive the Observer earlier in the week the way these printing schedules work, so it could be out for those people at least.

Guest PlatinumBoy
Yeah but considering he doesn't even have a lead role in Be Cool...it's not like he was filming/promotion/production stuff every single day. He's down in some island now filming Doom so obviously that's not going to work out with wrestling...but you gotta think, he could of at least shown up for house shows more often on the West Coast and have a 15 minute promo or 10 minute match...certainly isn't going to kill him. And they could of flown him out to Raw more often.

I'm not saying make him work a full scheudle and do movies on top of that...but at least make an effort. Triple H was able to do that in late 2003.

It's stastically proven in wrestling that if there is a huge name like Rock or Austin or Foley or Hogan...when there is promotion prior to their apperance, both TV ratings and ticket sales go a lot higher than normal shows. With Rock it's gotten to the point where it's like "Okay, they are on Southern California and/or Miami so he's going to show up." Fuck...if they should do a show in Chicago or Boston or something...fans should be thinking "That would be awesome if Rock showed up tonight" instead of not even thinking about it...or thinking "Well, he's definately not going to be here."

It doesn't matter if they made him a WWE Spokesperson (like Michaels in 2000) or special ref for matches or I don't know...some stupid reason that would make sense for why he's on the show every once in a while, but at least on a basis of not every six months doing pointless segments. Or have him come and do a dark match or something for a crowd if he's not going to have a big role on TV...I don't know, just anything. I remember reading about he LEFT during the show after he did the Diva angle, I'm sure he had a flight to catch...but damn, talk about not giving a crap and no wonder, he's got good reason to the way he's used. He could give a flying fuck...same with the rumored JBL/Rock match...god, if that happens, disaster is written all over it unless he can come up with a miracle.

Being predictable is what kills this company and when they try to change that, they do it in the WRONG manner (I don't even have to start with this.)

That would never happen during the Rock's filming. Why? He does action movies and physical roles. The movie folks wouldn't want him wrestling, because what happens if he tears a muscle, or breaks an arm? There goes that whole movie down the drain. If your some executive for "Random Rock Movie" are you going to want your star healthy, or let him wrestle every other week and risk him coming back with a torn ACL--which would change the movie from Rock kicking ass to him playing the bad guys in Scrabble.

If your some executive for "Random Rock Movie" are you going to want your star healthy, or let him wrestle every other week and risk him coming back with a torn ACL--which would change the movie from Rock kicking ass to him playing the bad guys in Scrabble.

Hey, I'd be entertained watching him play Scrabble...

I see your point concerning his health, but considering Rock's track record, he's always been able to keep himself in tip top physical condition and I don't believe that it's any different since he's been doing movies. And the main reason the majority of wrestlers get injuried is because the wear and tear on their body from wrestling five-six nights a week, and Rock wouldn't necessarily fall into the catagory. I didn't say have him wrestle 'every single week', but absoutely, freak accidents like that could happen that could cause a major concern with his action flicks.

He could still do run-ins and promos and such, with the occasional match every month or so. I mean, the Austin character from 2003 would make sense with him, except I wouldn't spend a portion of it having him just beat up random mid-carders (like Garrison Cade and La Resitance), much simliar to what Austin did.

I'm sure with some thinking WWE could find him a role that would make sense on a part time business...hell, give him his own Highlight Reel on Smackdown or something to that nature.

Sometimes when you sign on for a movie, there is a clause in your contract that you don't engage in dangerous physical activity. So Rock may not have a choice. He can show up and cut promos, but not wrestle.

I understand that a lot of high-paid sports stars have to sign the same kind of contract. If you spend 10 million on somebody and they hurt themselves skiing, you not only have an expensive player on the disabled list, you might have lost your season.

from Scherer at PWI:

For the last few days, I have been hearing that there are issues ongoing between Vince McMahon and The Rock.  According to a story making the rounds, Rock is said to be upset because Vince and WWE have yet to make an offer to renew Rock's contract.  Despite the fact that he is off in Hollywood making movies, Rock still has a WWE contract.  I am under the impression that one of the items covered in the contract is Rock's ability to use that name in his movie credits.  As things stand now, Rock is said to be saying that his appearing at WrestleMania is not a sure thing now, at least not until, or if, this conflict gets settled.  In fact, one person close to Rock told me that as of right now, he expects Rock won't be at Mania.  Getting confirmed details on this story has been tough, but in the interim, I just wanted to let you know what story is making the rounds.

I gotta be honest, that really sucks if the Rock has a fallout with the WWE.

Rock is still the most entertaining guy on the roster, and it's fun when he comes back. I sort of expect him to see him at Wrestlemania just because he's always there. Hell I don't mind Austin coming back either, because guys like Rock/Austin/Foley are usually great when they come back a few times a year. Those are the guys fans still feel connected too.

I know the guy only comes back a few times a year, but keep in mind he doesn't even HAVE to do that. He could easily use the time off from making movies just to relax but instead he's usually in the WWE and putting guys over.

Guest Kliqster

I really, really, can't see The Rock leaving the WWE, I can't really explain why; it just doesn't seem right. I genuinely believe The Rock when he says he loves the business, and when his movie career does wrap up, he'll be back in a shot. Don't forget he's in his early thirties either, and unlike Taker, he'll still be capable of top notch matches well into his 40s.

Guest Kliqster
He'll piss on his father's grave by leaving.

I wasn't aware Rocky Johnson was dead. ;) :lol:

Guest Kliqster
He'll piss on his grandfather's grave by leaving.

:P

My thoughts exactly. Another reason why I can't see him leaving.

Guest Hass of Pain
I remember reading about he LEFT during the show after he did the Diva angle, I'm sure he had a flight to catch...but damn, talk about not giving a crap and no wonder, he's got good reason to the way he's used.

According to Keller and Meltzer everyone in the back still loves him and he's supposedly the exact same guy he's always been, so I doubt anyone was that offended when his schedule dictated that he had to leave before the show ended.

The reason The Rock can't be brought in every other week or so as someone suggested is that he's in the middle of shooting like his fourth or fifth straight film and most of the time that entails 15 hour days on the set on top of the Rock making time to keep in shape and spend time with his wife and his kids. In his best year in WWE, The Rock supposedly made around 4 million dollars beating his body up on the road 250 days a year. Now, he's making as much as 20 million dollars per film, protecting his body and attempting to conquer a field he has yet to be on top of. You can't expect the guy to just hop on a plane every week and spend 7 hours in transit per way (if he can even get a day off and clearance to do so from the studio) just do shoot some catchphrases, especially when he's got a wife and a kid who he hardly has time to spend time with.

It's pretty selfish to say he's "pissing on his father's grave" because he's not choosing to entertain you every week on Raw or Smackdown when a much better opportunity for his family presented itself. For one, his father isn't even dead and has done more than enough to soil his own reputation, and secondly he's done everything there is to do in wrestling and has put everyone from Brock Lesnar to Evolution to Goldberg to The Hurricane over. You can't fault a guy for not wanting to look like Steve Austin zipping around the ring on a four wheeler with no direction three years after his peak.

The Rock always say's he'll never leave wrestling because of the charge the live crowd gives him, and with Wrestlemania in LA I would bet anything he'll be making some sort of an appearance.

My guess is it's just a temporary impass with both sides stubbornly holding their ground. I could see the WWE actually asking The Rock to pay them to renew his deal considering the fact that he is using his WWE trademarked name and only appearing once or twice a year, and I am sure the holdup has something to do with something along those lines.

I thought it was a little inappropriate for McMahon to bash The Rock on The Bast Damn Sports show for accepting a role that wasn't a lead in his upcoming movie though. There are a ton of stars in the film, and it's like bashing George Clooney for appearing in Ocean's Twelve and it seemed a little dick (and anti-gay) from McMahon's standpoint.

Anyway, it will be resolved by Mania I'm guessing.