TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Smackdown NOT to be Cancelled

Guest Loss
Make RAW a 3 hour show, and give 1 hour to the fucking cruiserweights!

That argument is so played, and would be such a huge flop anyway. Everyone who says this obviously never watched Nitro.

agreement...I'm even tired of supporting that arguement...I guess I'd like the brand split more if they moved guys around rather than having everyone that means anything all on one show...

this is purely a Selfish Ohhh SD doesn't Fit with our program scheme bullshit.

How is trying to distance themselves from the stigma of being a 'rasslin' network selfish?!?

UPN can go to hell. When Smackdown first came on the air that network had absolutely NOTHING and looked like it was going to be history within a couple of years. Smackdown absolutely SAVED UPN and this is the type of thanks it gets.

So now UPN feels like it's too good for Smackdown, that cracks me up. I hope UPN sinks.

UPN does not owe Smackdown anything, let alone a thanks. They don't want wrestling, fine, it's their right to not renew the contract. Smackdown got good ratings for them, but didn't help them compete against shows like Survivor or "Must See TV" on NBC. It makes sense for UPN to try & find a show that will help them gain credibility, and wrestling probably isn't the show to be doing that with.

this is purely a Selfish Ohhh SD doesn't Fit with our program scheme bullshit.

How is trying to distance themselves from the stigma of being a 'rasslin' network selfish?!?

UPN can go to hell. When Smackdown first came on the air that network had absolutely NOTHING and looked like it was going to be history within a couple of years. Smackdown absolutely SAVED UPN and this is the type of thanks it gets.

So now UPN feels like it's too good for Smackdown, that cracks me up. I hope UPN sinks.

UPN does not owe Smackdown anything, let alone a thanks. They don't want wrestling, fine, it's their right to not renew the contract. Smackdown got good ratings for them, but didn't help them compete against shows like Survivor or "Must See TV" on NBC. It makes sense for UPN to try & find a show that will help them gain credibility, and wrestling probably isn't the show to be doing that with.

But at one point, Smackdown was their ONLY hit show. The network was on it's way to shutting down before Smackdown came around, it helped keep them afloat and give them record breaking ratings (for UPN). I don't think any one show could take a crumbling network and have made it a major competitor for "Must See TV" all by itself. But look where UPN is now compared to when Smackdown first came on the air, now they are building itself up.

UPN owes Smackdown everything.

Guest Loss

I still say I hope it's true, just because it will force WWE to take a different approach, and they've been on cruise control far too long.

This sucks. I know Smackdown isn;t the greatest thing out there, but for someone like me who doesn't have cable or anything, this is the only professional wrestling I get to watch on a regular basis. I hope they change they mind, or maybe another broadcast station will pick them up.

Why don't you have cable?

Well..in the literal sense, Cable isn't available to everyone..but he could get Satelite TV, but maybe he doesn't want to spend $50+ a month on it.

DirecTV is $42.99 for one receiver with local channels.

Because my mom is a cheapskate, mostly

I should also point out that Keller has now thrown his hat in the pot and is saying his WWE source claims it is in fact true. This is going to get fun. Just sit back and watch the war of the wrestling reporters, folks.

I've so missed these IWC wars.

I don't know what Keller is doing. The story was that a Smackdown cancellation announcement had already been made. That story has been proven to be false.

Anything else is just speculation.

But at one point, Smackdown was their ONLY hit show. The network was on it's way to shutting down before Smackdown came around, it helped keep them afloat and give them record breaking ratings (for UPN). I don't think any one show could take a crumbling network and have made it a major competitor for "Must See TV" all by itself. But look where UPN is now compared to when Smackdown first came on the air, now they are building itself up.

Yes, at one point Smackdown was their #1 show ... and at the time, I'm sure UPN was stoked to have it. But that was then & this is now, and now they don't want to have a wrestling show on their network, and that's their right to choose.

What should they do, decide that they don't want to be associated with wrestling anymore but feel obligated to keep it on as a favor or a way of saying thank you?

Guest Loss

I should make it clear that I am pretty sure Meltzer is right in this case. I'm just hoping this results in a huge Battle of the Wrestling Megasites, just because it's been too long since something interesting has happened.

Guest eBayBrison

I think it will be good for Smackdown to move to anothe channel. It gives them a chance to wipe the slate clean and not totally suck. Maybe re-draft and get a good mix of superstars on both shows. Right now Smackdown is so full of suckbag-ness that I ignore it each week.

Brison

I could be wrong, but isn't there like, 22 months left on UPN's current contract for Smackdown (I think that's what someone said earlier)? Even if UPN doesn't renew, it's not like WWE has to right now end the brand extension or find a new network to carry the show. Let's not get carried away here.

Networks fine tune themselves all the time...TBS used to be driven on wrestling, now it would be completely inappropriate to have wrestling on it, as it's more of an all comedy channel. If UPN doesn't want to renew, it's their right. WWE can always find a new channel to carry Smackdown!, though not necessarily another network (maybe WB is an option).

^WB is part of the same company as TNT and TBS, though.^

A Brief History of UPN

UPN has been around for 10 years now, and has only produced 4 memorable shows, two of which were Trek spin-offs. It was launched at roguhly the same time as the WB network (which has consistently aired popular shows like "Buffy", "Dawson's Creek", "7th Heaven", "Angel", "Charmed", "Smallville", and "Gilmore Girls") that regularly creams UPN in the ratings.

After its first six months, back in 1995, it cancelled every show on its line-up except "Star Trek Voyager". UPN picked up the rights to "Buffy" and "Roswell" in 2001, but neither show helped the network much. ("Roswell" was never a hit on WB, and "Buffy" suffered tremendously in level of quality the last 2 years it was on.)

Paramount almost launched UPN back in the late 70s, but plans were scrapped and its premiere show, "Star Trek: Phase Two", was changed into a feature film.

It was widely reported that the network was on its last legs in 1999, before Smackdown came along. Kevin Smith turned down their offer to broadcast his "Clerks" cartoon because he was told the network was almost dead. He tells the story on the cartoon's DVD commentary and credits wrestling with keeping UPN afloat (even wishing he'd taken UPN's offer, since ABC ended up dicking him over).

from PWBTS:

(Courtesy: BGWWrestling.com)

The Oakland Tribune earlier this week ran an article in which they claimed that WWE SmackDown! would be cancelled from UPN when their contract expires next year. Leslie Moonves, co-president and co-chief operating office for Viacom, which owns both CBS and UPN had the following to say in the article: "It still makes us a decent amount of money. When you think about the powerhouses of CBS and NBC on Thursday night, it's great counter-programming. (But) it doesn't fit into the overall (programming) strategy." The article originally made a pun about their being "no smackdowns" after the show's contract runs out next year. The wording of the online version of the story, which can be found here, has already been changed to say that UPN has not yet decided what the future of SmackDown! will be.

When contacted for comment about the article, UPN representative David Gardner had the following to say. "That story was completely eronious. They said they are going to be running a correction tomorrow, as well as correcting the story online." Gardner further said that the author of the Oakland Tribune article misinterpreted the statement made by Moosves, so there is "no need to panic."

Guest Teckneek
This will go down as the best thing to happen to WWE in quite some time, honestly. They need a wake-up call in the worst way that they can't just continue churning out whatever they're comfortable putting on TV and expect the networks to deal with sinking ratings and lost interest forever. I'm happy about this, because it means WWE is going to have to rethink their entire creative approach. Their backs are against the wall, and that sense of urgency hasn't been with anyone in WWE for a long while.

I totally agree. While I don't want Smackdown off UPN, I want WWE to have pressure because their product is awesome when they have their back up against the wall. If WWE does move from UPN, i would want it to goto USA, along wth all WWE product. They also need to make SmackDown! a live show.

Smackdown going live would be terrible. Not only is it far more expensive, but they also won't have the chance to edit out errors, which with guys like Heidenreich & Jindrak on the roster they desperately need the ability to do.

Yes, at one point Smackdown was their #1 show ... and at the time, I'm sure UPN was stoked to have it. But that was then & this is now, and now they don't want to have a wrestling show on their network, and that's their right to choose.

What should they do, decide that they don't want to be associated with wrestling anymore but feel obligated to keep it on as a favor or a way of saying thank you?

When a show saves your network from going down the tubes, you don't just go "okay, we don't want wrestling anymore, that's not us" when in fact, it is.

It was widely reported that the network was on its last legs in 1999, before Smackdown came along. Kevin Smith turned down their offer to broadcast his "Clerks" cartoon because he was told the network was almost dead. He tells the story on the cartoon's DVD commentary and credits wrestling with keeping UPN afloat (even wishing he'd taken UPN's offer, since ABC ended up dicking him over).

Even Kevin Smith agrees with me :lol:

I spoke with Susan Young, the author of The Oakland Tribune piece that Mike Johnson reported on yesterday, concerning Viacom's Leslie Moonves' comments about Smackdown's future on UPN.  She told me that the quote in the paper was 100 percent accurate but that she incorrectly wrote that Smackdown's contract would not be renewed when she should have written that it may not be renewed.  The quote took place when Moonves was talking about Smackdown's future on UPN last week.  Moonves said that he didn't know how much time was left on the contract and asked UPN President Dawn Ostroff, who was also at the interview with him.  She told him it expired in September of 2006.  He then said he wasn't sure of the future of WWE on UPN and said it may not be renewed, with Young saying the tone of his voice and demeanor implying that it would not be.

He then issued this quote, about Smackdown.  "It still makes us a decent amount of money," said Moonves. "When you think about the powerhouses of CBS and NBC on Thursday night, it's great counter-programming. (But) it doesn't fit into the overall (programming) strategy." 

The interesting part of this story is that people close to Moonves have told me that he is a very calculated businessman and doesn't say things unless there is a reason for it.  Transcripts of the session were logged and, according to three sources, the transcript of what was said made its way to WWE management last week, which many in the company feel was Moonves' intention all along.  With WWE negotiating a new deal for their cable TV shows with Spike TV, which also falls under Viacom's corporate umbrella, a number of people I spoke with feel that Moonves very well may have been sending a message to WWE that the future of Smackdown on UPN could be directly tied to the cable package remaining on Spike.  WWE has talked with other networks, including their former home at USA, about moving their programming when their deal expires.

To further the theory that Moonves' comments were calculated, UPN is aware of this story and contacted Young today asking only that her original story be changed to say that no decision has been made at this time on the future of Smackdown on UPN.  Young did note to me that in the past, when matters were what he considered serious, Moonves called her personally to talk about things she had written whereas today, a lower level publicist contacted her and asked for the change.

My own take is that this was a very calculated move by Moonves, made in the midst of serious contract discussions with WWE.  It's clear by the quote that he was sending WWE message.  According to a number of WWE sources today, it was a message that has been received loud and clear.

From the bastard stepchild of 1pop-ups.bullshit.con, under the heading "THE WHOLE TRUTH ON THE UPN-SMACKDOWN SITUATION WITH NEW FACTS "

Here's my take on Scherer. The guy is not as bad as people say. When it comes to backstage news at Raw, Smackdown, PPVs, he's usually dead on. He leaked the Flair/Bischoff fight, Steph/HHH engagement, Heyman's demotion, the infamous "pre-show talent meetings" in 2003, etc. But when it comes to long term plans and encompassing stories, he usually is wrong or gets things confused. He's no Meltzer, but he's solid, and IMO, better than Keller. He does deserve criticism here though

WB does not regularly cream UPN in the ratings. They seem to flip-flop between #5 and #6

I was referring to the last ten years as a whole. UPN seems to have gotten a new lease on life with popular shows like "Veronica Mars" and "America's Next Top Model". UPN cannot match the WB network's track record for hit shows, though.

Like I said, there have been years where UPN cancelled nearly its entire line-up (save "Star Trek"), while WB had shows like "Buffy", "Dawson's Creek", "Charmed", "Angel" (which was still pulling good numbers when it was cancelled), "Smallville", "Gilmore Girls" and "7th Heaven" which consistently pulled in good ratings for years.

Guest DVD Spree

Worked for Ted Turner.

Just being pedantic, but Smith never actually said that wrestling saved UPN. He basically said that that wrestling was all they had, hence comments like "Our asses and wrestling." But yes, he was indeed told by "the most powerful man in the <TV> universe" (go to View Askew to find out who it is) that UPN would be dead within months. For what it's worth, SmackDown! is indeed one of the main reasons why UPN is still alive today.