TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Name wrestlers and their greatest opponents

Guest Loss

I definitely agree with Savage/Hogan and Hennig/Bret. If we're looking at their entire careers, and not just the WWF, I'd probably still have Hogan as Savage's best opponent, but I'd have Nick Bockwinkel as Hennig's best.

Guest LooneyTune

Randy Savage returns, as he's my pick for best opponent for the Ultimate Warrior. Coming on a close second is Rick Rude. Everyone else outside a few rare occasions, Warrior hasn't exactly been too good.

Guest Rrrsh

Yah, Warrior's best matches were with Savage. Even his matches with Rude were a big dropoff from his matches with Randy.

I think the definition of a great rivalry is that is inspires both guys to put on matches that are much better than either one's usual work.

With that in mind, I've got two modern ones I wanna mention:

Rikishi vs. Val Venis. Holy shit, but these two just beat the fuck out of each other for like two months straight, doing spots & taking bumps that I didn't know was possible for them, while providing a feeling of real hate that is so necessary for a great feud. Plus, I doubt anyone will beat Rikishi's record for Most Weight On A Cage Dive.

Kane vs. Albert. No, I'm serious, did you see their matches together? These two hosses put on some of the best big-man matches since Vader's heyday, absolutely murdering their giant bodies in bouts that were better than they had any right to be.

I know most people will disagree, but I felt that Sting's best opponent was Vader. Those two always had really good matches. Sting and Flair had classics, of course, but eventually I felt that their matches became too formulaic. Either way, I'm sure most people will agree that Sting was Vader's best opponent in America.

I know most people will disagree, but I felt that Sting's best opponent was Vader. Those two always had really good matches. Sting and Flair had classics, of course, but eventually I felt that their matches became too formulaic. Either way, I'm sure most people will agree that Sting was Vader's best opponent in America.

I would have to agree with this. With Sting and Flair, their matches were so formulaic, that you could all the spots before they happened. Sting and Vader's matches were far more varied and intense. They certainly help prop up WCW during a dire 1993, and Sting himself believes that their matches are what kept WCW from totally falling apart that year.

Guest wildpegasus

Yokozuna -- Bret Hart. I really wish everyone could see their MSG cage match. It destroys WMX.

Bret Hart -- Either Dynamite or Henning

Ric Flair -- Steamboat

Dynamite -- Tiger Mask

Lyger -- Sano

Scorpio -- Benoit

Benoit -- As for Benoit, it's very tough. His best WWE opponent is either Lesnar, Mysterio, Austin or Jericho.

Best of all time is very tough as well. Benoit's great when he's in there as a heel with highfliers like Sasuke. I think I'll have to give it overall to Eddie though. They haven't meshed as well underneath the WWE ring for the most part but they have had several great matches such as 7/4/95, 7/13/95, BOSJ 96 and 11/18/95 WCW. But than you got guys like Johnny Smith and Owen Hart who I could see Benoit having his best match against under ideal circumstances.

Guest LooneyTune

It was definitely a toss up between Flair and Vader, but I decided to go with the guy who had the confidence in Sting to put him over as a Main Eventer (without actually losing) when Sting was still an under-card guy.

Guest Rrrsh
Benoit -- As for Benoit, it's very tough. His best WWE opponent is either Lesnar, Mysterio, Austin or Jericho.

Lesnar and Mysterio?

I am trying to remember ANY singles matches they had. I know they were part of some kick ass Tag match in the SD 6 and had a real fun Triple Threat match, but am I forgetting a great singles match they had?

As for Lesnar, other than that one match on Smackdown they had late in 03, I can't remember them ever facing each other. Are you basing this comment on one match?

Hart-Austin.

I'm interested, for those of you that listed others for those two, what makes you think they're above it? Those of you that went with Bret-Owen, for example.

Guest LooneyTune

Two entirely different angles. The Bret/Owen angle was booked as a clash of brothers over jealousy and familiarity in the ring with the other, wihle Austin/Bret was two guys hating each others guts.

Austin/Bret had great matches as did Owen/Bret. Austin/Bret worked better in a more intense fassion, while Owen/Hart was a lot of mat wrestling and scientific (a.k.a logical) submission work.

I completely agree with that. I think the Sting-Flair series, especially the first Clash match, is totally overrated. Like HTQ said, they were predictable, and repetitive, often repeating the same spots several times within one match. I much more enjoy the Sting-Vader series, which I think is one of the best of all-time, and for Flair, I thought dozens of opponents had better matches with him than Sting.

Guest LooneyTune

Well a lot of people had good matches with Flair (as obvious as the nose on Michael Jackons faces), but Flair was one of the best opponents for Sting. Vader was better for a more intense match, while Flair was good for a straight match, which kinda goes into the Bret argument. Different strokes for different folks.

Guest Ray

"Lesnar and Mysterio?

I am trying to remember ANY singles matches they had. I know they were part of some kick ass Tag match in the SD 6 and had a real fun Triple Threat match, but am I forgetting a great singles match they had?"

Benoit and Mysterio had a great singles match on Smackdown in October 2002. It's very underrated.

Bret Hart's greatest opponent was Steve Austin.  Anyone doubting this is a mega-mark or just being silly.

Dispute this.  I'd like to see the argument, concerning money-drawing and/or mark-emotionial investment.

Bret vs. Austin at WM13 was a great match, but so was his match with Owen at WM10. They were different kinds of matches, but they were both great. The fans probably gave the same amount of emotional investment to either. I personally like the Owen one better because of the story at Mania. He beats Bret only to watch his bro crowned as champ at the end, held up as the hero.

In terms of drawing and moneymaking...who knows? I didn't watch WWF from 1993 until 1999, so I missed that period of Bret. I have read some on it and it seems like his feuds all failed, save for the ones with ole HBK and Austin. And possibly Owen.

I think it's a tough question.

chris benoits best opponent, ( atleast in wwe) was steve austin. i dont think benoit and angle ever did anything but make each others finishing holds look as unimportant as possible.

Curt Henning - Nick Bockwinkel

Bret Hart - Steve Austin

HBK - Razor Ramon

Triple H - Mick Foley

The Rock - Steve Austin

The Undertaker - HBK

Eddie Guerrero - Dean Malenko

Sting - Vader

Ric Flair - Obvious

Randy Savage - Ric Flair

Hulk Hogan - Randy Savage

Booker T. - Chris Benoit

Hart-Austin.

I'm interested, for those of you  that listed others for those two, what makes you think they're above it?

I've listed The Rock for Austin for the following reasons...

Austin had his first big match against Bret at Survivor Series 1996, the very show Rocky made his debut. Austin was the hated heel, while Rocky initally was a face, both however were on the verge of having the fans make them and break them.

They met for the first time in their short but entertaining IC title feud, Austin was mega-face, Rocky was starting to really get going in his People's Champion heel run. Vince stripped Austin of the title and awarded it to Rocky (fore shadowing in two ways, intentional or not). The feud culminates at the Rumble when Austin is victorious by elminating Rocky last.

Survivor Series 98 after both have successful World and IC title reigns, Rocky is on the verge of being a mega-face himself but swerves to the Corporation and with Vince's help becomes World Champion, Vince himself having screwed Austin out of the that very title.

They clash at WM15 were Austin is triumphant proving that he is Rocky's superior.

They cross paths on and off after Rocky's face turn, before Austin is injured.

Rocky wins the title in large part due to Austin's involvment at Backlash 2000. They share a stare post match as if to setup the next year.

Austin returns and Rocky is prime suspect for his car induced injury. They clash in the 6 pack Hell In A Cell and then as two of the final three in the 2001 Rumble.

Austin goes to Wrestlemania as Rumble winner while Rocky regains the title to setup the best WM main event of all time (IMO). In Austin's absence, Rocky arguably became the man, now Austin is back to prove a point. However Austin is no longer good enough to defeat the more experienced Rocky, Austin turns to Vince for help and Austin is victorious. (Reverse of SS98).

Rocky is suspended and Austin turns to WCW.

Vince brings Rocky back to help out the WWF and its Rocky pinning Austin at yet another Surivior Series (2001) to banish WCW from Sports-Entertainment.

Both become victims of the Vince intorduced nWo, but are also both triumphant over nWo opponents at WM18.

Both leave the WWF/E in the summer of 2002, with Rocky even making the speech about Austin taking his ball home.

Both return in February of 2003 and Rocky challenges Austin to a match at WM19 to prove to everyone he is better and end is WM jinx against Austin.

Rocky finally defeats Austin at WM19 to end a feud that spanned almost 6 years, three WM Main Events, and involved the World Title more often than not.

That for me is why Austin-Rock is the top of both men's lists.

i dont think benoit and angle ever did anything but make each others finishing holds look as unimportant as possible.

Not really. The Angleslam was already dead as a finisher by then, and Benoit tapping clean to the heel hook anklelock at the Rumble didn't exactly hurt that hold.

The crossface wasn't affected either.

Guest bigm350

Who was Harley Race's greatest opponent? Possibly Flair, but when Flair came along, wasn't Race starting to approach the twilight of his career? Would it be Jack Brisco, any of the Funks? I've only seen Race's later work, and none of his work from the late sixties-seventies. Its a shame.

Guest Trivia247
I disagree about Taker-Foley. I enjoyed HBK's matches with Taker a lot better.

The reason why it would be Foley over Michaels, because despite the short DX feud Michaels had with the Undertaker, Mick Foley's Mankind was the Nemesis of the Undertaker and his bane for years. In fact was the only one to truly get over on the Undertaker during the Waning years of his Dead man gimmick. somehow the Mandible Claw causes the knock out submission of the man who wouldn't tap unless it was some contrived circumstance, like a rollup Triangle choke persay.

Guest LooneyTune

Yeah, in 1996, Mankind actually was booked STRONG against the Undertaker, and beat him at King of the Ring and Summerslam, and also buried him alive at the PPV titled.... Buried Alive. Almost all of their matches from 1996-97 were pretty good too, so it's not like the matches sucked.

Guest Trivia247

So you quite simply equate the topic with a Great match, though they were plenty in One SHot Feuds...

But also long term feuds with many matches on TV and PPV..

Hogan vs Andre lasted early 87 to Summer of 88.

Hogan vs Savage was actually a shorter time but far more intense matches and stuff in between.

think this would go to the Nemesis Factor in opponents.

Bret Hart vs HBK pretty much since 92 or 93 they feuded on and Off from the IC to World title.

i'll stipulate HBK vs Razor as another good case.

recent history..

HHH vs SCSA

Undertaker vs Kane, (Not good matches as a Smark standpoint but a Long feud that spanned in years on and off)

Rock vs HHH

Rock vs SCSA

Foley vs HHH (We can say starting from 97 and ending at 2000)

etc etc

and for a Non WWF example..

Raven vs Dreamer.... Start from 95 and finally ends almost officially after the WWF invasion angle when Dreamer finally Defeated Raven on Raw to remain on the Raw show.