TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WM21 to be Kurt Angle's Final Match?

Wade Keller wrote this addendum to his RAW recap of the Shawn Michaels' interview:

More planting of seeds for the Angle-Michaels match at WM, which very well could be Angle's final WWE match.

Discuss.

File this one under: Well, duh.

I mean, the closeup shot of Angle clutching at his obviously numb hand at the Rumble was a sobering visual of what this man is putting himself through for over a year now. He's a shell of his former self, he's risking permanent injury if he continues like this.

Let him go all out with Michaels at Mania and call it a career. He'll have an agent job for life and I'm sure they could find something for him to do on air. (Hell, maybe WWE films could keep him occupied for a little while, give Kurt the acting bug to take his mind off of it).

He should of course get the full blown surgery ala Austin, Benoit, etc. that he's desperately needed from the beginning and take a year off to rest and then, who knows, like his opponent, Michaels maybe with a few years of proper rest and training he could heal and have one last comeback...

What was the jist of what Michaels' said? I missed it due to Valentines Day hijinx

Just said that he didn't forget what Angle did to him at Rumble and insinuated he'd be at No Way Out to cost Angle his match with Cena.

Keller was just giving his opinion (possibily guided by some inside info he has?) that it might be Angle's last match.

I hope he's right.

Methinks this is Wade Keller making a story out of a non-story. Heck, Flair could retire from the ring at WM21 too! Of course, Flair could retire ANYTIME. Ditto for Angle. Kurt's made it very clear he will go until he is physically unable to do so. Plus, I'm not sure that jobbing to HBK in the 2nd or 3rd match from the top is the way he wants to go out.

Methinks this is Wade Keller making a story out of a non-story. Heck, Flair could retire from the ring at WM21 too! Of course, Flair could retire ANYTIME. Ditto for Angle. Kurt's made it very clear he will go until he is physically unable to do so. Plus, I'm not sure that jobbing to HBK in the 2nd or 3rd match from the top is the way he wants to go out.

Kurt is a walking time bomb. Flair might be old, but he's still in good enough shape to wrestle his current style and schedule....

EDIT: Nevermind. You were referring to more surgery for Angle.

The suggested surgery for Angle in 2003 would've ended his career. Any present surgery would be of the same consequence.

I think you all are missing the point here. Kurt tried the experimental to extend his career- it didn't work. He's needed the full blown surgery from the start. Wrestlemania 19 vs. Brock should have been his last match.

I think Kurt will come to the same realisation Steve Austin came to 2 years ago. Remember, we didn't see that one coming...

I think you all are missing the point here. Kurt tried the experimental to extend his career- it didn't work. He's needed the full blown surgery from the start. Wrestlemania 19 vs. Brock should have been his last match.

You also assumed that Angle can come back from full-blown surgery.

He can't.

You also assumed that Angle can come back from full-blown surgery.

He can't.

I never assumed that. I'm just saying if Kurt wants to hold on to a miracle, he can look to Michaels who after 4 years of R&R could make a comeback.

Realistically though, Kurt gets the surgery, is given some roles in WWE films to bring him into acting and then has an agent job for life, and an on air role as a manager/commentator/general manager whatever if he wants it.

Yeah I hope Angle retires soon too. It's not that I don't enjoy watching him wrestle or even do a promo but I have this feeling he's going to 'Dynamite Kid' his life and end up suffering some serious consequences because of it.

More likely he will "Orndorff" his career if he puts the surgery off.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

SummerSlam 2005.

WWE Title match, Title .VS. Career: Cena .VS. Angle.

That would be better.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
No it wouldn't. With Michaels, Angle has a shot to go out with a legendary match.

The first signs of how over-rated Angle/Michaels will be.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
It would be much much better than Angle/Cena, and much more memorable.

If it's the Main Event of SummerSlam, and hyped hugely as possibly Angle's last match, it would be more memorable to WWE fans. Not that it would be a better match, of course.

I misspoke with LEGENDARY, but Michaels-Angle without a doubt has a good chance to be a great match, and would be much better than Angle-Cena.

Angle-Cena, Title vs. Career just makes no sense in so many aspects.

Angle/Cena had a good match back at No Mercy 2003. Obviously, many people have forgotten about it, but it was pretty good. On the high end of 2003 WWE for sure.

Angle/HBK will not touch it.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
I misspoke with LEGENDARY, but Michaels-Angle without a doubt has a good chance to be a great match, and would be much better than Angle-Cena.

Angle and Cena had a feud last Summer when Angle was GM. They'll meet in the Finals of the tournament at No Way Out, and they had that No Mercy match in 2003.

Plenty of backstory.

Angle and Cena had a feud last Summer when Angle was GM. They'll meet in the Finals of the tournament at No Way Out, and they had that No Mercy match in 2003.

Plenty of backstory.

But if Angle is retiring after this match that means he wants to retire now, not in August.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

Plenty of backstory.

But if Angle is retiring after this match that means he wants to retire now, not in August.

Of course, but I just said it would be better if it was the main event of SummerSlam, not some semi-main event of WrestleMania. Right now, it will be hyped as a Raw .VS. Smackdown match, not (possibly) Angle's last match.

vs. Michaels at WrestleMania? vs. John Cena at SummerSlam?

What a hard choice.

You're right, it's not a choice at all. You go out at SummerSlam v. Cena, because then it actually matters and helps build someone up. Giving a retirement rub to a guy who is on the verge of retirement himself is beyond retarded. I would hate to see Angle's last match be with Michaels. Plus, like someone mentioned, there's good backstory with Angle and Cena, and if anything can legitimize Cena as a top guy it's not going over JBL, it's being the guy to retire Kurt F'n Angle (see: HHH/Mick Foley)

But this is all based on one man's speculation anyway, so I'm not putting any stock in it yet.

Plenty of backstory.

Of course, but I just said it would be better if it was the main event of SummerSlam, not some semi-main event of WrestleMania. Right now, it will be hyped as a Raw .VS. Smackdown match, not (possibly) Angle's last match.

But at the same time, if he gets a long reign as WWE Champion, and goes into Summerslam to defend against the top face(Cena), in a match billed as possibly his last match, everyone watching it knows he's going to lose, so that kills much of the suspense.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

Plenty of backstory.

But at the same time, if he gets a long reign as WWE Champion, and goes into Summerslam to defend against the top face(Cena), in a match billed as possibly his last match, everyone watching it knows he's going to lose, so that kills much of the suspense.

Cena would be going in as champion, after defeating JBL at WrestleMania 21. And, WWE is always predictable. There's never any suspense.

vs. Michaels at WrestleMania? vs. John Cena at SummerSlam?

What a hard choice.

You're right, it's not a choice at all. You go out at SummerSlam v. Cena, because then it actually matters and helps build someone up. Giving a retirement rub to a guy who is on the verge of retirement himself is beyond retarded. I would hate to see Angle's last match be with Michaels. Plus, like someone mentioned, there's good backstory with Angle and Cena, and if anything can legitimize Cena as a top guy it's not going over JBL, it's being the guy to retire Kurt F'n Angle (see: HHH/Mick Foley)

But this is all based on one man's speculation anyway, so I'm not putting any stock in it yet.

For some reason I think retiring Angle wouldn't be as a big deal as Foley's was or Taker's will be if done correctly.

People actually WANT another Cena/Angle feud!?!

I hate to be the second coming of Anglesault, but god, it was bad enough the first time around. The only saving grace was No Mercy's match. With Angle/Michaels, you have a potentially serious feud, which is what Smackdown needs. A straight up, old school feud. With Cena/Angle, the formula is predictably uninspiring. Cena makes fun of Angle, does some 'funny' raps, Angle gets mad, Cena wrestles Luther and Jindrak for a month. Oh, and we might even get to see Angle rapping again! It's not going to be like JBL who sofar has been given the chance to insult Cena in the good way (bringing up valid points). Angle will always be booked as a joke in these feuds.

there's good backstory with Angle and Cena

No there's not. They feuded a year and a half ago and then Cena didn't like Angle when he was GM. Which, again, was months ago. HBK/Angle has a current storyline, build off the Rumble, intrigue of a first time meeting. Angle/Cena is the same 'OMG you are disrespectful' theme as half of Cena's feuds.