TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Strangest crowd reaction ever

I'm not talking about sheep-like tendancies, (i.e. cheering for the Bushwackers) or certain cities acting "smarkish" (i.e. Philly in ECW's heyday) I mean just doing things that totally surprised you

Actually one that really had me shaking my head was Royal Rumble 2000, before Kurt Angle's match at MSG he ran down Patrick Ewing and the crowd lustly booed him. That had me wondering how many of those fans actually KNEW anything about the Knicks and the Patrick Ewing era as Ewing was hated by the time he left for never winning a championship. In other words, had the crowd been full of Knick fans, Angle would have been cheered for those comments!

Steve

I was a bit shocked at the WWE NY crowd shitting on The Rock's taped promo for Raw X. I know NY crowds are smarkish, but usually everyone pops for The Rock.

It wasn't too surprising, but it was a bit strange to hear crowds calling Lita a slut during that pregnancy angle when she was suppose to be the the sympathetic babyface.

Guys love a slut, but only if she's sleeping with them.

It wasn't too surprising, but it was a bit strange to hear crowds calling Lita a slut during that pregnancy angle when she was suppose to be the the sympathetic babyface.

Guys love a slut, but only if she's sleeping with them.

Well, with Lita's reputation, her crowd reaction isn't much of a mystery then.

True story paraphrased from F4W:

At a WWE house show, a hot looking girl in the audience was getting some attention. Guys were hooting and hollering at her, and calling for her to show her breasts. She teased it and teased it, before finally showing her breasts. The guys cheered her, but, as she was being taken out of the arena by security, those very same guys were chanting, "Slut, slut, slut."

Honestly, I'm a bit suprised that Jericho gets a good pop in New York. Pretty boys tend not to, but he always has.

I think that can be put down to Jericho being considered a great worker, and the fact that he's never pushed or presented as a pretty boy, at least not the type that NY'ers hate.

I'm not talking about sheep-like tendancies, (i.e. cheering for the Bushwackers) or certain cities acting "smarkish" (i.e. Philly in ECW's heyday) I mean just doing things that totally surprised you

Actually one that really had me shaking my head was Royal Rumble 2000, before Kurt Angle's match at MSG he ran down Patrick Ewing and the crowd lustly booed him. That had me wondering how many of those fans actually KNEW anything about the Knicks and the Patrick Ewing era as Ewing was hated by the time he left for never winning a championship. In other words, had the crowd been full of Knick fans, Angle would have been cheered for those comments!

Steve

Ewing wasn't hated by the time he was left. I know a lot of people, myself included, were very pissed about the trade. It was just a smear campaign by the media and Knicks management- the fans still loved Patrick.

And Ewing was still on the Knicks in Jan 2000. He was traded in Sept 2000

I know it's just the way the Japanese fans are, but MAN, some of the reactions they were giving/not giving on RAW and SD were just odd. The whole clapping in unison bit was weird...as was them making no sound while JR and the King are trying to sell the main event.

It was just so odd to hear them freaking out over the match, while the fans were SILENT.

I know it's just the way the Japanese fans are, but MAN, some of the reactions they were giving/not giving on RAW and SD were just odd. The whole clapping in unison bit was weird...as was them making no sound while JR and the King are trying to sell the main event.

It was just so odd to hear them freaking out over the match, while the fans were SILENT.

I liked the appreciative golf-clap applause when the ref held up the belt before the Edge-HHH match.

One that really took me by surprise was when Triple H came back to MSG in January 2002. I mean he gets this big ovation by the crowd and then during his interview there is one guy who yells a suprisingly loud "You Suck" to him. Just laughed out loud to that.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

Not really a "crowd" reaction, but at a Smackdown before Coach turned heel, (you know, when he wasn't funny), Coach was in the ring talking about something or other, (this wasn't part of show and it didn't air), but two guys who hated Coach shouted this at him...

Guy#1: "Hey, Coach..."

*Coach looks over*

Guy#2: "...eat SHIT!"

The look on Coach's face was priceless.

That had me wondering how many of those fans actually KNEW anything about the Knicks and the Patrick Ewing era as Ewing was hated by the time he left for never winning a championship.

No. Just no.

The tabloid media attempted to tear down Ewing. That was not representative of the average Knicks fan. Ewing got a standing O when he returned to MSG with Seattle, standing O when he returned with Orlando, standing O when he was coaching with Washington, standing O coaching with Houston......you get the point.

The Powers of Pain/Demolition double turn at Survivor Series 88. Crowd had no idea what was going on and sort of just gave up trying to figure anything out.

Also have to add Brian Pillman's debut in ECW. The crowd popped huge for him and then when he started to call them "smart marks" and the like, they just died like that. It was the quietest I've ever heard the ECW arena. Just great stuff to start out a great year for ECW.

Guest The Mandingo Warrior

I think Hogan-Rock was weird, in the sense that I don't think anyone really expected that much of a loud, one-sided fan reaction. Obviously, some people were going to cheer for Hogan, but god damn! It sounded like there was not a single person cheering for the rock in the whole god damn sky dome. And then at the end there was a loud pop for the peoples elbow, and the rock winning..All the people cheering for the people's elbow were booing the rock out of the building a few seconds earlier. THAT was strange.

The Powers of Pain/Demolition double turn at Survivor Series 88.  Crowd had no idea what was going on and sort of just gave up trying to figure anything out.

I remember this. As the crowd was having a collective brain fart, the PoP held up Fuji as if to display their new heelness, but they sort of got a pop. It was only on the next TV when we saw interviews that we actually knew what the hell went on.

<<All the people cheering for the people's elbow were booing the rock out of the building a few seconds earlier. THAT was strange.>>

I guess it was like they were excited about seeing Hogan kick some ass, but they knew that Rock must win in the end.

I think Hogan-Rock was weird, in the sense that I don't think anyone really expected that much of a loud, one-sided fan reaction. Obviously, some people were going to cheer for Hogan, but god damn! It sounded like there was not a single person cheering for the rock in the whole god damn sky dome. And then at the end there was a loud pop for the peoples elbow, and the rock winning..All the people cheering for the people's elbow were booing the rock out of the building a few seconds earlier. THAT was strange.

I liked the part where the Rock is whipping Hogan with his weight belt and the crowd is booing him out the building and JR tries to justify it by saying "He's only retaliating...that's YOUR fault, fans"

For me, it would have to be Lesnar/Goldberg at WM. Two guys having their last match and the crowd absolutley rips them a new one. The commentator's reaction sold it:

"Yes, the rumors have surfaced...the internet rumors"

"Brock wants to go to the NFL"

I marked out for the huge "You Souled Out" chant while Brock was trying to stay calm.

Who was the goodbye chant directed towards? Lesnar? Goldberg? Both?

I think most of the WMXX reactions were all related to Brock. People shit on Goldberg the whole year he was around sans a couple of Raws and Summerslam 2003. By the time his contract was up, he'd got all the shit handed to him he was goning to get anyway.

Guest LooneyTune

Actually one that really had me shaking my head was Royal Rumble 2000, before Kurt Angle's match at MSG he ran down Patrick Ewing and the crowd lustly booed him.  That had me wondering how many of those fans actually KNEW anything about the Knicks and the Patrick Ewing era as Ewing was hated by the time he left for never winning a championship.  In other words, had the crowd been full of Knick fans, Angle would have been cheered for those comments!

Steve

Bob answered it already, but you do know how NBA fans (or sports in general) are, right?

For Example...

Karl Malone is still loved in Utah, despite leaving for the Lakers.

Reggie Miller sure as hell is still loved in Indiana despite retiring after this year without winning a championship.

Fans respect their teams history (usually), and for them to boo a legend who helped carry their team for years would be an insult.

Despite Miller, Ewing, and Malone playing on different teams around the country and different roles of the team, all share the same thing: respect from the fans, and sometimes that is more important than a championship (except for obsessed fans who want to WIN WIN WIN all the time).

On that note, Go Bobcats! Okafor for ROTY! (waves flag)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic, any time WWE goes to Toronto. Sometimes its a good thing, sometimes bad. See Wrestlemania X-8 (set up Rocks heel run; Hogans babyface run; HHH no reaction) or Summerslam 2004 (everything shat on except for a few over heels).

Guest Sturgis

It was directed toward Lesnar. I think MSG knew Goldberg was leaving, but respected and understood his decision.

I don't know if this counts or not, but it always struck me as strange that the ECW fans were so into Sid when he was there for that small run. Yes, I know that it was after ECW had blown up and thus there were marks mixed in with the mutants, but I always thought that it was strange to see him get such big reactions.

Guest LooneyTune

Sid has always been over with everyone, despite being shit in the ring. Good example is in 1989 as a Skyscraper, when fans chanted for Sid despite being a heel.

Guest BDC

People wanted to see Sid kill someone, not wrestle. :P

He did a run-in and beatdown on John Kronus and that was that. We didn't have to deal with the whole match.

I don't know if this counts or not, but it always struck me as strange that the ECW fans were so into Sid when he was there for that small run. Yes, I know that it was after ECW had blown up and thus there were marks mixed in with the mutants, but I always thought that it was strange to see him get such big reactions.

ECW fans went apeshit over 911 and Johnny Grunge. What's so odd about them doing the same for Sid?

Guest Hass of Pain

I was pretty shocked at the time to see the entire crowd turn on The Great American Bash 91 and chant for Ric Flair the whole time. I was also pretty shocked to see Hogan getting booed at the Rumble in 1991 when he pulled Sid out of the ring.