TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mindless_Aggression

Spots that should've been the finish...

Guest Fook_Theta

Bah you people are all stupid.

The way you book this finish is Angle applying his tiny-arm half nelson bomb. He then uses his tiny arm to apply the mandible claw to Michael's gullet, wherein Michaels taps out due to how far Angle can shove his hand down Michael's throat.

Anything involving the freakish tiny arm will get ****

Maybe I read wrong, but this is a thread about spots that should have been the finish. Not who should have went over in a specific match.

Putting this back on topic: The first HITC spot Foley took. Easily. The match should have been stopped at that point, there was little way they were going to top that. Plus it would have put over how sadistic UT had gotten, and the match's dangerousness. Instead they went on, and Foley nearly killed himself. Fun times.

Hell, I'm a huge HBK mark and not Jericho's biggest fan in the world, but I think that Jericho should have won that match. Shawn already proved he wasn't a shell of his former self by winning the World Title at Survivor Series.

Jericho's character may be bullet proof but his drawing power isn't. He's lost virtually every big match he's been in whether it be to HHH, HBK, whoever. He got a win over Rock for the WCW title that nobody remembers, and he beat Rock and Austin in the same night for the undisputed title. With in a month it was made perfectly clear to anyone watching that he was just holding HHH's belts. They've had so many chances to salvage his drawing power and I think they've finally blown it. He's been in the company for over 5 1/2 years now and is pretty much in the same spot in which he started. I think that can safely be attributed to losing in matches where he should have won, such as the WM against Shawn.

Maybe I read wrong, but this is a thread about spots that should have been the finish. Not who should have went over in a specific match.

Threads sometimes veer a little off-topic. As long as the discussion is intelligent, it's all good.

...did I just see "Shawn Michaels" and "draw" in the same sentence?

As in, he was a bigger draw than Jericho in their respective careers overall, yes. I know these things aren't easy to "prove" but I stand by my belief. Than again, Jericho hasn't main evented much so it's not a fair comparison. And HBK was, at times, associated with some awful buyrates/drawn houses. Overall winner: Michaels.

Putting this back on topic: The first HITC spot Foley took. Easily. The match should have been stopped at that point, there was little way they were going to top that. Plus it would have put over how sadistic UT had gotten, and the match's dangerousness. Instead they went on, and Foley nearly killed himself. Fun times.

Good point. And the actual finish ended up being rather anticlimatic, all things considered.

It should be noted that the Michaels/Jericho discussion ended.

Raven. Jeff Jarrett. "Destiny."

DOUBLE SUPERKICK CONCHAIRTO. Ruined the match, ruined the company, ruined Raven's career, and ruined everybody's opinion on JJ.

Guest LooneyTune
It should be noted that the Michaels/Jericho discussion ended.

Raven. Jeff Jarrett. "Destiny."

DOUBLE SUPERKICK CONCHAIRTO. Ruined the match, ruined the company, ruined Raven's career, and ruined everybody's opinion on JJ.

I think I paid for 1 TNA PPV after that in the year 2003, thats how fucking pissed it made me. I did get to see some shows, thanks to a friend having free (a.k.a illegal) cable.

I always thought that the Guerrero/Rock match before Summerslam 02 should've ended in a frog splash after Guerrero pulled out that swank counter to the Rock Bottom.

But alas, it was Guerrero.

Similiar to that match, the ending to HBK v Edge from Raw last week. Shawn kicks out of a million moves from Edge, and yet he hits one superkick and it's all over. Way to bury Edge.

*Waits for the "Michaels needed the win to look strong for WM" argument*

Similiar to that match, the ending to HBK v Edge from Raw last week. Shawn kicks out of a million moves from Edge, and yet he hits one superkick and it's all over. Way to bury Edge.

And I can guess who one of those people will be.

Shawn's almost certain to win at WM anyway, so it would have at least added fire to see Kurt screw Shawn out of the win, and given Shawn another dimension to his horrible promo on Monday.

It should be noted that the lowest rating in Raw history came during Michaels title reign in 1996, and that during said reign he also headlined one of the worst drawing MSG house shows in history.

It should also be noted that he main evented Wrestlemania 14 and 20 which were extremely successful. He was a fair part of the success of Summer Slam 2002. The 1997 Royal Rumble with him in the main event sold 48,000 tickets during a downtime for the company. He's been apart of countless of other successful ppv's and houses.

Yes, he is associated with some horrible buyrates/houses (as I previously stated). He’s had failures as well as successes. He was put on top of the card in the middle of the WWF’s worst period and he wasn’t a help. I never claimed he was. I’m not trying to slight Jericho either. I just claimed Michaels was a better draw throughout his career overall than Jericho. Period.

I always thought that the Guerrero/Rock match before Summerslam 02 should've ended in a frog splash after Guerrero pulled out that swank counter to the Rock Bottom.

But alas, it was Guerrero.

Damn! Makes me wish I had seen that match! I bet it was awesome.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

The 1997 Royal Rumble with him in the main event sold 48,000 tickets

One of the most heavily papered WWF events ever.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

And I can guess who one of those people will be.

Shawn's almost certain to win at WM anyway, so it would have at least added fire to see Kurt screw Shawn out of the win, and given Shawn another dimension to his horrible promo on Monday.

Just reading through the latest Observers and I thought I'd share some stuff that has been a subject of debate here lately.

- The finish of Michaels v. Edge last week was indeed Shawn getting his win back, not any grand plan to retain his heat for WM or anything noble like that.

from Scott's blog

The 1997 Royal Rumble with him in the main event sold 48,000 tickets

One of the most heavily papered WWF events ever.

To quote Dave Meltzer (who has much more time to analyze this silliness than I do):

"By the way, even with discounting tickets and all, and it wasn't the success at the gate they had hoped for, selling more than 48,000 tickets in San Antonio, Texas is nothing to sneeze at. Who else in history has ever come close to that? To use that as an example that Michaels isn't a good draw because they didn't sellout a 70,000 seat building is mind boggling."

Again, there were over 62,000 people in attendance; 48,000 PAID. For a non-Wrestlemania show. During a downtime for the company. Think about it.

It should also be noted that he main evented Wrestlemania 14 and 20 which were extremely successful.

What a ridiculous argument.

WM 14 featured Austin's final rise to the top, as well as Mike Tyson. I really don't think it mattered who Austin was going to wrestle; Austin and Tyson got that buyrate. HBK was more or less just a warm body.

WM 20 was billed for months as the greatest WM there was ever gonna be, and it featured a LOT of big matches. Again, I think HBK was more or less just another warm body in that match. I believe it would have drawn roughly the same with or without HBK.

Not that I'm against HBK, I just think that's a silly argument.

Guest LooneyTune

I don't know how WWE sold 48,000 tickets to Rumble 97... everyone was sitting on their hands for nearly the entire fucking show. Just mind boggling to see that nearly 50 K people bought tickets to see Shawn Michaels wrestle because he was the hometown boy.

Hogan should have beaten Sid at WM 8 with the legdrop, instead we got that stupid DQ finish.

Michaels should have tapped to Jericho at WM XIX.

Cena should have beaten The Undertaker at Vengeance with the steal chain / FU combo.

Orton should have beaten HBK with the RKO at Unforgiven after that awesome reversal!!! :angry:

Guerrero should have beaten Angle at WM XX with the Frog Splash, period.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

Maybe the WWE knew that Jericho wasn't dedicated to wrestling. Going by the interview he just did he doesn't seem to really care about wrestling much anymore and is considering retireing to do music.

I don't believe that's the case, and I think he should have gone over too but you never know.

So why not put him over somebody whose career could end the next week on a bad bump, considering the severity of his back injury just 5 years prior?

EDIT: Oh yeah, on-topic...

NECW MARCH BADNESS '04

"The Promise" Antonio Thomas vs. Maverick Wild© for the NECW Heavyweight title

Near-fall's galore in this solid ***1/2 match. However, the spot that should have ended it happened a few moves before the finish, when Maverick Wild nailed the Catatonic on Thomas from the middle rope (I believe that was this match when it happened), only for Thomas to kick out at 2. I think the finish was something closer to a roll-up, or something. I only saw the match once, when it was live, and I haven't been able to get ahold of a tape yet, so alas.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

Well Shawn's back has been fine since returning. If you're going to use possiblity of injuries as a deciding factor then Benoit shouldn't get a major push because he had his neck injury.

Maybe the WWE knew that Jericho wasn't dedicated to wrestling. Going by the interview he just did he doesn't seem to really care about wrestling much anymore and is considering retireing to do music.

I don't believe that's the case, and I think he should have gone over too but you never know.

I'm not sure that's fair to say, as his feud with Shawn was two years ago. His seeming indifference towards wrestling has seemed to come pretty recently.