TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

When TV Shows get Serious

I remember a drug episode of Fresh Prince where some guy offers Will a bottle of uppers and Will humors him, only for Carlton to mistakenly take them and end up in the hospital later on.

Remember the show "Dinosaurs". I remember there was a just say no episode which said that kids need to stay away from drugs so that no more "special episodes" can get made. God, I loved that show.

Of course, Dinosaurs ended up doing a "special episode" for the finale, where the dinosaurs went extinct because Earl messed with nature and killed some plants, or something like that.

Remember the show "Dinosaurs". I remember there was a just say no episode which said that kids need to stay away from drugs so that no more "special episodes" can get made. God, I loved that show.

Of course, Dinosaurs ended up doing a "special episode" for the finale, where the dinosaurs went extinct because Earl messed with nature and killed some plants, or something like that.

Well, that was a shitty way to end the show. But I'll always love that show, no matter what.

Fresh Prince - When Will's Dad comes back and Will meets him for the first time, then the dad leaves again

Ah yeah. That was also the loudest moment on Fresh Prince when he is yelling about how he will be better than him and Uncle Phil hugs him when he wants to know why his dad doesn't want him. That was the first time I felt that this acting thing might work out for Will Smith.

I saw this episode again recently, and it gave me the chills. I've been trying in vain to find Will's monologue since. A great, great scene.

Yeah, it always gives me chills too. Will's monologue, plus the crying was enough. Then they had to show the statue of the father and son which made it even more sad.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Fresh Prince seemed to be nothing but "very special" epsiodes the last couple of seasons.

Guest El Satanico

Well, that was a shitty way to end the show. But I'll always love that show, no matter what.

Actually it was a fitting way to end a sitcom about Dinosaurs.

...Dinosaurs need to be released on DVD..."gotta love them"

Oh man that was a good show. Ahead of its time. Its time being "when I was old enough to understand it fully."

I remember a Different World episode about racism as well. I didn't watch that show but I remember liking it. Had to do with "Nigger" being spray painted on somebody's car. I liked it because they had each party tell their side of the story, which were comically biased.

I remember that one...Ron got asked if he though he was better than the white guys, and his response was classic:

"Only in football, basketball and track! And I won't even get into that personal endowment thing, 'cause I know how sensitive you guys are about that."

Guest cosbywasmurdered

What about the South Park when Kenny gets cancer or something and Kyle or Stan refuses to see him only changing his mind too late.

I thought that was oddly serious though there was plenty of the usual SP stuff in the episode.

The only show I can remember to never have a "serious episode" was Married with Children.

The last episode of Cheers had some serious moments in it, but it wasn't a total serious episode.

Guest LooneyTune

Seinfeld... nothing that I recall. Even when a character dies (Susan to be the most specific), they play off it with comedy because George (Jason Alexanders character) wanted to get out of the wedding so badly, that he didn't even care she was dead.

Coach got pretty serious towards the end when Hayden and Christine wanted to have a baby. There was also one where Luther met his biological father, which I always thought was a little far fetched considering Jerry Van Dyke was in his 70s at the time. Paul Dooley played his father, with makeup making him look near 100

Guest netslob
What about the South Park when Kenny gets cancer or something and Kyle or Stan refuses to see him only changing his mind too late.

I thought that was oddly serious though there was plenty of the usual SP stuff in the episode.

i agree, Matt and Trey actually made a very touching episode in spite of themselves. particularly with the stuff involving the softer side of Cartman (except for the ending, of course), and Stan showing up too late.

I don't know if what was supposed to be serious or not, but the Family Guy episode where Peter grows a big beard, and Brian likes the old woman. The end scene, with Brian having the virtual reality fantasy about himself, and the old lady getting married, and having kids was kind of disturbing and it didn't seem like it was intended to be funny, in the traditional Family Guy sort of way.

"Diffrerent Strokes"-The child molestor episode. It seems like these days, it's the pinnacle of the "special epiosode"

Dudley Ramsey and TV's Gordon Jump play Neptune King of the Sea.

Different Strokes had plenty of "special episodes"

Arnold and Kimberly are kidnapped

Robbie Jason becomes an alcoholic

Kimberly becomes bulemic

Special Guest star Kareem Abdual Jabbar playing a substitue teacher, slaps Arnold.

Guest LooneyTune

Family Ties - I think Tom Hanks plays the alcoholic brother of the wife of the family.

Roseanne had a few, like the one when they find out Jackie was getting beat on by her boyfriend, think it was even a two part episode because I remember the first part ending with Dan getting arrested for hitting the guy.

I don't know if what was supposed to be serious or not, but the Family Guy episode where Peter grows a big beard, and Brian likes the old woman. The end scene, with Brian having the virtual reality fantasy about himself, and the old lady getting married, and having kids was kind of disturbing and it didn't seem like it was intended to be funny, in the traditional Family Guy sort of way.

Yeah I don't know what they were going for at the end there. That was weird, and I think like the second-to-last episode or so.

Family Ties: When Alex's friend is killed in a car accident, and Alex is singing "Borbn to be Wild" with his dead friend, in a dream seguence in the kitchen.

That was a classic one, and the first one that sprang to mind when I read this topic.

Roseanne had a few, like the one when they find out Jackie was getting beat on by her boyfriend, think it was even a two part episode because I remember the first part ending with Dan getting arrested for hitting the guy.

Didn't Dan actually die in one of them? That's about as "special" as it gets.

BTW, since "Saved by the Bell" was mentioned so many times, I'm shocked no one brought up the one about environmentalism, where they struck oil on the football field (or something) and the resulting spill killed Mr. Belding's pet duck. At least I think it was his pet duck. It was SOMEONE's pet duck.

Guest LooneyTune

Yeah, that was a two-part episode (the cut off being like you mentioned, Dan beating the crap out of the dick, which isn't seen). It seemed like half the episodes of Roseanne were serious, but with some comedy added in to keep it light-hearted.

That one was brought up.

My favorite "special episode" was probably the "Coming Out" of Ellen... because it was hyped up like crazy and really didn't amount to much as far as the show went, and it ended up cancelled relatively quickly afterwards.

Guest LooneyTune

Ellens career sure has sucked since that happend...

Her show becamse non-stop lesbo-loving, then I think she had another show that got canceled in a season, and now she has what I think is the worst daytime talk show... and she can't dance worth a shit.

Yea- Roseanne pretty much became a drama with comedic overtones in the last half of the series.

Dan didn't die- he had a heart attack and when he recovered he got into a huge fight with Roseanne and they seperated. They reconciled and all that lottery shit occurred.

In the finale it was revaled Dan did die of the heart attack but that rambling monologue by Roseanne really didn't make much sense.

I forgot one... actually two...

SPORTS NIGHT...

Issac's stroke, and Jeremy's freak out in the woods. The sexual harrasment one was good too.

Sports Night always seemed more like a Comedrama, than a regular tv comedy.

I think it was something about the carnivores suddenly developing a taste for plants and ate all of them up, forcing the herbivores to declare war on them and a nuclear war erupts, causing a nuclear winter that freezes them all to death.

I might be mixing episodes, but I clearly remember Robbie being "drafted" to fight in a war in an episode that was made to look like an old newsreel.

Full House had a couple. Some that I can remember..

-When Papouli dies, Michelle takes it really bad etc..

-Michelle getting thrown off the horse and the amnesia

I don't remember exactly what happened but I have memory of Steph and Gia - fighting/smoking...