TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

When TV Shows get Serious

City Guys

- Jamal gets robbed at gun point while closing his dad's restaurant. After the incident, Jamal gets a gun for protection. Later on, he hears someone in the restaurant while he's closing. Jamal thinks it's the robber again, so he shoots the person, only to find out that he accidentally shot his dad.

There was also the City Guys episode where that black author comes to the school and tells the kids to be proud of where they come from, but, Jamal takes it a little too far and becomes a racist thus alientating his friends. And then in the end, when he has that "Blacks only" meeting, he realizes he's been a racist, and apoligizes to his friends.

And I could have sworn there was an episode where that hot brunette girl got raped. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Also, California Dreams had that episode where Jake's chain smoking uncle visits. Jake starts smoking, which causes his friends to try and get him to stop. But he doesn't, until Jake's uncle gets lung cancer. However, that episode had a good amount of comedy (including the scene where Jake tries to not smoke for several hours!), so I don't know if that counts.

California Dreams also had the episode where Tiffany's mom returns, and the one where the father of a girl Tony's dating forbids him from seeing her, because Tony's black.

I intentionally ignored All in the Family because 90% of the episodes had serious plots to them, with a good amount of super-serious episodes too.

I'm starting to wonder if you like anything that the planet Earth has ever produced.

Guest LooneyTune

I love All in the Family, but it's nothing but a serious sitcom.

There was also the City Guys episode where that black author comes to the school and tells the kids to be proud of where they come from, but, Jamal takes it a little too far and becomes a racist thus alientating his friends. And then in the end, when he has that "Blacks only" meeting, he realizes he's been a racist, and apoligizes to his friends.

This is why sitcoms shouldn't go down the serious path. Every important issue is solved in an 30 minutes, and someone learns the error of their ways.

Guest Askewniverse
And I could have sworn there was an episode where that hot brunette girl got raped. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

It was the blonde girl, Cassidy, but I can't remember if she got raped. I remember a guy (played by the actor who played Jackson on USA High) giving her roofies, but that's about it.

Now you got me wanting to watch dinosaurs again (i havent seen that show since it was canceled years ago)

I remember one dinosep where a curseword is uttered on a tv show (the word? SCHMOO-I guess thats their word for you know what)

HOLY SCHMOO (I used to say that for fun)

And why is it that most of the "drug abuse" eps are about diet pills? cmon you know we were all waiting for the SBTB ep where Screech gets hooked on Crack (picture Tyronne Biguums with screechs voice lmao)

I miss city guys and dreams they dont show them anymore here

Guest LooneyTune

"Only with No Dose can you Overdose. In pharmacy stores near you!"

I forgot about Degrassi TNG and Junior. I can only comment on TNG. Most of the episodes were trying to be serious or trying to teach something. But there were a bunch of filler ones.

Ashley's dad's homosexuality. In the season finale of season 1. I think it was that..

Paige gets raped. The episode was called "Shout".

Craig's gets abused by his dad. His dad then dies in the season finale.

The school shouting with Rick dieing and Jimmy ending up in a wheelchair.

Marco comes out.

Ellie deals with cutting.

Emma wants to earn those bracelets all the girls have. She gives a couple blowjobs and gets a disease.

I'm probably missing some..

-"Saved By the Bell"-Jessie is hooked on Caffine pills

Jesse singing, "I'm so excited" while Zack tries to hug her....the funniest shit I had ever seen, especially knowing it was supposed to be serious. Man, those were some innocent times, when the hardest thing you could get on was No Dose.

I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO....SCARED!"

I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the episode. It's classic bad overacting.

really...i was embarassed FOR her.

But then came Showgirls and do I need to finish.

Also Step By Step had a few very special episodes I think. Of course none of them involved the Code-man beating the shit out of some girl.

Although the episode where the Jewish Liberation Front (sic?) man comes to the Bunker house by mistake, and at the end of the show gets into his car--BOOM!

Yow.

Yeah, I was gonna mention this one. Great TV.

How about WKRP- the station staff deals with the kids who were trampled

at the Who fiasco at Riverfront Stadium. And then they had to deal with

their pedophile boss...

The "Whits only" episode of Family Ties.

I remember a Mr. Belvedere when the youngest son's classmate had AIDS.

The Punky Brewster Challenger episode. OH, and when Cheri locked herself in

a fridge. Not William Perry though, some other Fridge.

Silver Spoons- the family went hunting and Ricky capped a deer. Sad stuff.

Facts of Life- Natalie learns that fat girls need to put out to keep their men around.

Did Wonder Years count as a comedy? There are a ton of VSEs there.

When someone kidnapped the red headed stepchild on Diff'rent Strokes. (Was this Gordon Jump again?)

The post-Phil Hartman era of NewsRadio.

Good Times when the dad died. Damn it, damn it!!!!!!

Sorry some of those shows are really old, ya whippasnappas.

Did Wonder Years count as a comedy? There are a ton of VSEs there.

Well he nver said they had to be comedies, everyone's assuming that, but nowhere in the description or first post did he specify for comedies only...but anyway, Wonder Years was one of those comedy/drama shows, the drama was probably a bigger part, but it had comedy in it.

I forgot about Degrassi TNG and Junior. I can only comment on TNG. Most of the episodes were trying to be serious or trying to teach something. But there were a bunch of filler ones.

Yeah, every single bad thing that can happen to a person happens on Degrassi: The Next Generation. Those poor kids. They've been through hell in only 4 seasons. Although, I think that's part of the reason why I watch that show. That, and there are some pretty damn attractive girls on it.

Emma wants to earn those bracelets all the girls have. She gives a couple blowjobs and gets a disease.

I'm probably missing some.

Wait, what?! When did this happened? Is that another episode that is banned in the U.S.A. along with the Craig/Manny abortion episodes?

Saved by the Bell - the one where the oil spill happens on campus when some company is digging for oil and it kills all these ducks. Zack rescues one but it ends up dying.

Family Matters - The episode where some gang attack's Harriett's sister's resturant and kick Eddie's ass.

Beverly Hills 90210 - The storylines where Luke Perry's character was addicted to cocaine, and also the blonde chick was too for a while.

Guest Fook
Family Matters - The episode where some gang attack's Harriett's sister's resturant and kick Eddie's ass.

IIRC, that episode had a retarded ending where Urkel used his transformation machine to turn into Bruce Lee and kicked all their asses.

I think that automatically disqualifies it from being a "very special episode".

IIRC, that episode had a retarded ending where Urkel used his transformation machine to turn into Bruce Lee and kicked all their asses.

Nah, it wasn't. It ended with Steve dressing up like a 'gangster' and trying to do a sting for Carl, but he and Lietunent (bah w/e) Murtoh (again, w/e) ended up handcuffing themselves to each other.

Guest LooneyTune

Steve turned into Bruce Lee when some punks in a bar started harrassing (bah on sp) Laura.

Saved by the Bell - the one where the oil spill happens on campus when some company is digging for oil and it kills all these ducks. Zack rescues one but it ends

I mentioned this one - but you bastards no sold it.

Silver Spoons- the family went hunting and Ricky capped a deer. Sad stuff.

Now that I remember it, there was another Silver Spoons episode about child abuse where Rick learns that a friend of his is being abused by his father.

Guest LooneyTune

Another Family Ties episode: Michael J. Fox (I forgot his character) and some other guy talk to someone on a hotline who wants to commit suicide.

Beverly Hills 90210 - The storylines where Luke Perry's character was addicted to cocaine, and also the blonde chick was too for a while.

Wasn't there the storyline about one of the blonde bitches getting beaten on by her boyfriend too

Wasn't there the storyline about one of the blonde bitches getting beaten on by her boyfriend too

Yes, Donna was getting hit by her then boyfriend Ray.

I once saw a funny interview with Jamie Walters (Ray) in which he was saying how angry fans were sending him letters saying "Quit Hurting Donna!" Very Amusing.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

I was just thinking, did "Spin City" or "Friends" or any of the other million sitcoms set in New York do a 9/11 show? I don't remember hearing anything at the time, but i don't see how they could just not comment on it.

The multi-racial gang is what stood out for me in that episode. Seeing the machine, and hearing Urkel mention Bruce. I knew the asian guy would attempt to Kung Fu fight, Urkel. Low and behold, Urkel vs the Asain gang member.

Guest LooneyTune

You know they've (Family Matters writing team) ran out of ideas when Steve turns into various characters, and invents a machine to get rid of his own character for a "Cooler" version.

I remember a Different World episode about racism as well. I didn't watch that show but I remember liking it. Had to do with "Nigger" being spray painted on somebody's car. I liked it because they had each party tell their side of the story, which were comically biased.

That was the episode where the college was playing some school in football and Ron sold his tickets so he stayed in the car to listen to the score. He made a bet with a group of white guys on the way in, Dean Cain was the ring leader and when Hillman won the game they came out and they were all pissed and got all racial with Ron.

Good times.

I'm probably missing some.

Wait, what?! When did this happened? Is that another episode that is banned in the U.S.A. along with the Craig/Manny abortion episodes?

I was going to ask the same thing...

on the Silver Spoons note, wasn't there an episode where Ricky ran away from home and wound up staying in some seedy ass motel in a high crime zone or something? Can anyone elaborate on that?

The Family Matters/Bruce Lee stuff reminds me how there were quite a few episodes of Step by Step where the stoner cousin and Bobby Ewing would bail one or more of the girls out of some trouble by kicking everyones' ass