TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

The Field of 65: 3/13/05 is Judgement Day.

And in less than 1 hour, and less than 19 hours, we will know the field of the men's and women's teams in the biggest college tournament in the world. The wait is almost over. It is March Madness 2005.

And this thread is where you put your selection knowlege to test. Can you guess the field of 65? Take your shot here.

Well hopefully Dayton's 108 RPI is really around 35. :D

I always thought something didn't seem right in Miami (OH) and their RPI staying in the 20's despite their collapse down the stretch.

At this point, it looks like DePaul, Buffalo, Notre Dame and Maryland are going to be the last four teams left (I have UAB in the tournament already). Notre Dame and Maryland are the teams I'd like to see miss the cut, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them will get in.

Just so you guys know, I won all three of my leagues last year, and intend on continuing my streak.

I may not win but I think that my boys (LSU) will be primed for a Sweet Sixteen run depending on their bracket assignment.

Considering they're going into the tourney winning 7 out of their last 8, with that loss being in OT to Kentucky by 2 in the SEC Tournament, that's pretty damn good.

(Before LSU pulled off their turnaround earlier this year, Kentucky beat them by 20 or 30 points.)

They're probably looking at a 5-seed, give or take a level depending on other teams' performances.

Oh okay. Sorry KingPK. If you want to delete this go ahead.

If not. Here we go.

Here are my picks.

Mutiple Bid Conference Represenatives. (Automatic Bid of Multiple Bid Leauges in Italics) (42)

ACC: UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Ga. Tech (4)

Big East: Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, Pittsburgh, West Virgina. (6)

Big 10: Illinois, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota (4)

Big 12: Oklahoma, Kansas, OSU, Texas Tech, Texas, Iowa State (6)

Big West: Pacific, Utah State (2)

CUSA: Louisville, Cincinatti, Charlotte (3)

Missouri Valley: Southern Illinois, Creighton (2)

Mountain West: Utah, New Mexico (2)

Pac-10: Arizona, Washington, Stanford, UCLA (4)

SEC: Kentucky, Alabamba, Flordia, LSU, Mississippi State (5)

WCC: Gonzaga, St Mary's (2)

WAC: Nevada, UTEP (2)

Automatic Bids of definite one Bid Conferences (15)

Vermont: America East

Central Floridia: Atlantic Sun

Montana: Big Sky

Winthrop: Big South

Old Dominion: CAA

Wisconsin-Milwaukee: Horizion

Penn: Ivy Leauge

Niagara: MAAC

Ohio: MAC

Oakland: Mid Continent

Deleware State: MEAC

Fairleigh Dickinson: Northeastern

Eastern Kentucky: Ohio Valley

Chattanooga: Southern

La-Lafayette: Sun Belt

Automatic Bids of likely one Bid Conferences (3)

Ohio: Mid-America

George Washington: Atlantic-10

Bucknell: Patriot (This is more in Memorandium)

Conferences yet to be determined that will get one bid (2)

Southland

Southwestern

As of Sunday Morning at 7:38 AM in the morning, there are in all honesty only Three Bids left with Pacific losing in the Big West Final. And I will bet Dollars to Donuts that two of those final 3 Bids are taken by these two teams.

NC State and Iowa.

So there IS only 1 Spot left for these 15 "Legit" Teams.

Miami OH

UAB

Buffalo

DePaul

Northern Iowa

Indiana

Maryland

Notre Dame

Saint Joseph's

Wichita State

Holy Cross

Davidson

Vanderbilt

Texas A&M

Virginia Tech

Personally I think VT, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Davidson, Holy Cross, and now Witchia State are gone, and not much explanation is needed as to why.

And now that we know what we know, I would also put St Joes, Buffalo, and Miami (Ohio) on the "you're just watching to be disappointed list."

So that means we have Nothern Iowa, Norte Dame, UAB, DePaul, Maryland and Indiana with any shot left at the last bid. And looking at their resumes by the numbers, I would pick UAB just over DePaul, who was basically eliminated by losing UAB.

However, more years than not, a Power or Major Conference steals a bid that should go to a deserving team, and I think this year is also one of those years. So Notre Dame may just end up stealing it.

-----------------------------------------

So here is my final Field of 65

Conferences getting more than 1 bid, and teams that will get in. (Automatic Bid of Multiple Bid Leauges in Italics) (45)

ACC: UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Ga. Tech, NC State (5)

Big East: Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame* West Virginia (7*)

Big 10: Illinois, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa (5)

Big 12: Oklahoma, Kansas, OSU, Texas Tech, Texas, Iowa State (6)

Big West: Pacific, Utah State (2)

CUSA: Louisville, Cincinatti, Charlotte, UAB* (4*)

Missouri Valley: Southern Illinois, Creighton (2)

Mountain West: Utah, New Mexico (2)

Pac-10: Arizona, Washington, Stanford, UCLA (4)

SEC: Kentucky, Alabamba, Flordia, LSU, Mississippi State (5)

WCC: Gonzaga, St Mary's (2)

WAC: Nevada, UTEP (2)

Automatic Bids of definite One Bid Conferences (18)

Vermont: America East

Central Floridia: Atlantic Sun

Montana: Big Sky

Winthrop: Big South

Old Dominion: CAA

Wisconsin-Milwaukee: Horizion

Penn: Ivy Leauge

Niagara: MAAC

Ohio: MAC

Oakland: Mid Continent

Deleware State: MEAC

Fairleigh Dickinson: Northeastern

Eastern Kentucky: Ohio Valley

Bucknell: Patriot

Chattanooga: Southern

SE Louisana :Southland

Alabamba A & M :SWAC

La-Lafayette: Sun Belt

Automatic Bids of One Bid Conferences, unless some act of god happens. (2)

Ohio: Mid-America

George Washington: Atlantic-10

Either UAB or Notre Dame will get the final spot in the tournament

Edited for the UCLA miss, and susequently edited for the Pacific loss, and my picks for the final 5 conference final winners.

Its pretty ironic that the team that gets the least media coverage in DC>>>>GW<<<< is the only team that will actually be in the big dance>>>>>Gtown/MD<<<<<<

Hoepfully we will get some respect. -

GW will get some respect for winning the A-10 West and the conference tourney, but it comes on a rebuilding year for many teams in the A-10. I refuse to call it a down year, because next year there will be 4-5 teams back in the tourney. (Dayton, X & St. Joe's lost a lot from their 2004 teams)

GW will be a 9 seed, if I had to guess.

Pac-10: Arizona, Washington, Stanford (3)

So there are 2 - 3 Spots left for these 15 "Legit" Teams.

Miami OH

UAB

Buffalo

DePaul

Northern Iowa

Indiana

Maryland

Notre Dame

Saint Joseph's

Wichita State

Holy Cross

Davidson

Vanderbilt

Texas A&M

Virginia Tech

Intentional or unintentional you left off UCLA who is a lock to get in.

GW will get some respect for winning the A-10 West and the conference tourney, but it comes on a rebuilding year for many teams in the A-10. I refuse to call it a down year, because next year there will be 4-5 teams back in the tourney. (Dayton, X & St. Joe's lost a lot from their 2004 teams)

GW will be a 9 seed, if I had to guess.

I have to agree with that sentiment. The Atlantic 10 will be fine. This is what happens when all the top and Mid Tier Teams Implode at once, and they all have to start over. Next Year will be better, by far. It can't get any worse with the 49ers coming into the leauge.

Though the A10 would do better to dump the Fordham's and Dunqense's of the world. And add teams like Manhattan, Old Dominion and Hofstra when the Big East Apoclaypse happens and it splits up, and the Basketball schools take some of the A-10s top Teams with them to form a new Conference.

Pac-10: Arizona, Washington, Stanford (3)

So there are 2 - 3 Spots left for these 15 "Legit" Teams.

Miami OH

UAB

Buffalo

DePaul

Northern Iowa

Indiana

Maryland

Notre Dame

Saint Joseph's

Wichita State

Holy Cross

Davidson

Vanderbilt

Texas A&M

Virginia Tech

Intentional or unintentional you left off UCLA who is a lock to get in.

That was what I was forgetting. I knew this would happen.

Edited Post coming up for the Snafu. Sorry about that.

I may not win but I think that my boys (LSU) will be primed for a Sweet Sixteen run depending on their bracket assignment.

Considering they're going into the tourney winning 7 out of their last 8, with that loss being in OT to Kentucky by 2 in the SEC Tournament, that's pretty damn good.

(Before LSU pulled off their turnaround earlier this year, Kentucky beat them by 20 or 30 points.)

They're probably looking at a 5-seed, give or take a level depending on other teams' performances.

Agree on LSU. Their big men are beasts! I kinda hope Bass goes pro or they could easily take my UK Wildcats place atop the SEC in the next couple of years.

Oh boy, so now we can hear a bunch of sports talking heads bitch about a handful of teams that didn't get invited to the tourney. I always hate that. "So-And-So should be in the tournament, blah blah blah." Shut up -- if those uninvited bubble teams would have won a few more games they would have made it. That's what makes them bubble teams...

I guarantee if MD makes it, they'll be in the same bracket with Duke that will set up like a 2nd or 3rd round game between the two if everything pans out.

But really, I just hope they go to the NIT...

I guarantee Duke and Kentucky will be in the same bracket.

I guarantee if MD makes it, they'll be in the same bracket with Duke that will set up like a 2nd or 3rd round game between the two if everything pans out.

That's not allowed to happen. Teams in the same conference are not allowed to be bracketed to meet each other until the latest possible convienence (i.e. if there are four or less teams, the final four; if there are five through eight teams, the elite eight). The only way they'd be allowed to play in the third round (Sweet Sixteen) is if nine teams from the ACC get into the tournament, which is not very likely at all.

Jason

But really, I just hope they go to the NIT...

...and lose to Georgetown. At least the Hoyas will give a damn. This season's Maryland team can't be bothered with a full effort except against North Carolina/Duke caliber squads. If the Terrapins get in the NCAA tourney, I can only interpret that as a nod to CBS for higher TV ratings in the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore television markets.

As for George Washington, people who know basketball already respect the team but I believe it is more a question of getting respect in the local D.C. area media than anything else.

That's not allowed to happen. Teams in the same conference are not allowed to be bracketed to meet each other until the latest possible convienence (i.e. if there are four or less teams, the final four; if there are five through eight teams, the elite eight). The only way they'd be allowed to play in the third round (Sweet Sixteen) is if nine teams from the ACC get into the tournament, which is not very likely at all.

Jason

I don't think it's quite that restrictive. For instance, a conference that gets four teams might have a 2 seed and a 9 seed in the same bracket. They just do their best to make it unlikely that matchups between teams from the same conference occur.

Jason

I don't think it's quite that restrictive. For instance, a conference that gets four teams might have a 2 seed and a 9 seed in the same bracket. They just do their best to make it unlikely that matchups between teams from the same conference occur.

It is entirely that restrictive. If a conference sends 4 or fewer teams, all of them must be in different regions. If a conference sends 5-8 teams, no more than two teams from the same conference can be in the same region, and those two teams cannot meet until the Elite Eight. It's an ironclad rule, one of the few the committee has (the other main one being that a team can't play in a site where they are the host).

Guest Shadow

Which usually ends up having at least 2-3 teams playing VERY close to their home site anyways where it becomes a virtual home game.

Also can I go ahead and express my hatred for them getting rid of the WEST/SOUTH/EAST/MIDWEST bracket concept and doing the new City bracket like Alberquque, Austin, Syracuse and Chicago.

You can gurantee that Illinois gets the #1 seed in Chicago Bracket.

I would love for them to do something classy like having the 4 brackets named after a legendary coach such as The John Wooden Bracket, Adolph Rupp Bracket, Dean Smith Bracket and some other legendary coach who may escape my mind right now.

My seed picks

Illinois-Chicago

Kentucky-Syracuse

UNC-Austin

Duke-Albuquerque

Washington=Chicago

Wake Forrest=Syracuse

Oklahoma St=Austin

Louisville=Albuquerque

Syracuse=Chicago

Arizona=Syracuse

Florida=Austin

Boston College=Albuquerque

Oklahoma=Chicago

UConn=Syracuse

Gonzaga=Austin

Kansas=Albuequerque

Georgia Tech=Chicago

Utah=Syracuse

Villanova=Austin

Wisconsin=Albuquerque

Pittsburgh=Chicago

Michigan St=Syracuse

LSU=Austin

Texas Tech=Albuquerque

Southern Illinois=Chicago

Alabama=Syracuse

Charlotte=Austin

Texas-Albequerque

Stanford=Chicago

West Virginia=Syracuse

Cincinnati=Austin

Pacific=Albequerque

Nevada=Chicago

Miss St=Syracuse

Minnesota=Austin

Creighton=Albequerque

North Carolina St=Chicago

George Washington=Syracuse

Iowa=Austin

UCLA=Albequerque

New Mexico=Chicago

Iowa St=Syracuse

St. Marys=Austin

UTEP=Albequerque

Ohio=Chicago

Vermont=Syracuse

Old Dominion=Austin

Northern Iowa=Albequerque

Wisc-Mil=Chicago

Buffalo=Syracuse

UL lafayette=Austin

Penn=Albequerque

Winthrop=Chicago

Utah St=Syracuse

Eastern Kentucky=Austin

Bucknell=Albequerque

Chattanoga=Chicago

UCF=Syracuse

Niagra=Austin

Northwestern St=Albequerque

Farleigh Dickinson=Chicago

Delaware St=Syracuse

Montana=Austin

Oakland/Other team in Play-In game=Albequerque

*I want to put MOH somewhere here very bad tho

Edited by Shadow

I'm scared to death of Georgia Tech getting stuck with Illinois. At least in your scenario, they'd have a chance of getting into the Syracuse bracket. But the way Kentucky's playing, it looks like they're going to give Wake their one seed and virtually guarantee GT a spot in the Chicago bracket.

Whoa? Kansas getting a 4 seed? Not likely. They're a 2 or 3 at the this point. OSU is a 2. OU is a 3 or 4.

I bet OSU and Kansas go to OKC and OU goes to Tuscon.

Syracuse=Chicago

Arizona=Syracuse

Florida=Austin

Oklahoma=Chicago

UConn=Syracuse

Gonzaga=Austin

Kansas=Albuequerque

There is NO way why BC should be ahead of UConn. They tied for the Big East regular season title and UConn got farther in the tourney.

Syracuse=Chicago

Arizona=Syracuse

Florida=Austin

Oklahoma=Chicago

UConn=Syracuse

Gonzaga=Austin

Kansas=Albuequerque

There is NO way why BC should be ahead of UConn. They tied for the Big East regular season title and UConn got farther in the tourney.

Boston College beat them head to head. Also, BC has no really bad losses, while UConn lost to UMass.

Since this is the hoops thread people are paying attention to right now, I just want to say that Jarrett Jack is one courageous mother fucker. He's out there on an ankle that he can barely even walk on, and he just hit two huge shots and then took a charge. If it were up to me, I'd just sit him on the bench and save him for the NCAAs, but this is still a hell of a gutty performance.