TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BlackFlagg

X-Men 3 director announced...

Guest El Satanico

He's also friends with Guy Ritchie, and has been a producer on all of Ritchie's films. He's also married to Claudia Schiffer and his father is an English aristocrat who is a godson of King George VI..

Ya know, I've always said "The X-Men movies need alittle cockney".

He's also friends with Guy Ritchie, and has been a producer on all of Ritchie's films. He's also married to Claudia Schiffer and his father is an English aristocrat who is a godson of King George VI..

Ya know, I've always said "The X-Men movies need alittle cockney".

The only good thing about this is that we might just get Claudia Schiffer to play Emma Frost. But this blows badly and makes me wish they would just fucking wait for Singer to either get fired from/finished working on Superman or just bite the bullet and bring Whedon onboard, since at least Whedon's cult status would distract from the major problems with the film.

BTW what's wrong with Whedon? Sure he writes a shitty X-Book but given the poor state of the movie franchise team, he could do a passible job provided he focused on Iceman, Rogue, Storm, Wolverine, Professor X, and Nightcrawler; a six-some that offers a pretty reasonable facimile of the Buffy casts*. Which means Whedon could use his arch-types and not fuck things up even more....

*Comparisions to that line-up/Buffy:

Wolverine= Buffy

Rogue= Xander

Iceman= Willow

Storm= Giles

Nightcrawler= Cordy

Professor X= Angel

Why isn't Singer directing?

Essentially he was offered the chance to direct Superman and have free reign towards the direction of the film but on the condition that he had to take the offer right then and there, which purposely meant that Singer couldn't do X-Men 3 and that rather than wait patiently for Singer to finish Superman, the studio basically severed ties with him and announced that they would replace him as director for X-Men 3 since the studio wants to rush out X-Men 3 ASAP, presumably do to the fact that they won't have Spiderman 3 done until 2007.

Why isn't Singer directing?

Essentially he was offered the chance to direct Superman and have free reign towards the direction of the film but on the condition that he had to take the offer right then and there, which purposely meant that Singer couldn't do X-Men 3 and that rather than wait patiently for Singer to finish Superman, the studio basically severed ties with him and announced that they would replace him as director for X-Men 3 since the studio wants to rush out X-Men 3 ASAP, presumably do to the fact that they won't have Spiderman 3 done until 2007.

I don't like the sound of that....

I wouldn't go as far as saying the ONLY one to say it. They do say he is overrated, but that is because he gets press because he is Joss Whedon, thus making him overrated(according to alot of people) I personally think he is a very good writer in the X books, not the best, but not the worse either.

Joss whedon is VERY good at directing actors, but he is not very good at setting up shots and the like. Give him a great DP, and he could really direct the hell out of a movie.

I would rather him write the thing than direct it though.

Guest El Satanico

The important thing here, is that the main writer from X2 is returning.

The one movie this guy directed is supposedly good, so there's no reason to expect that this guy will ruin X3.

Guest El Satanico

James Marsden...:shrugs:...He's replaceable

Syxx, trust me I'm well aware of that and you can say it in reference to the net in general.

Famke Jansen will be back to play Phoenix, however.

Also, I heard that Singer had some heat with the studio, and the studio jumped at the opportunity to can him. Might just be rumors though.

And you can't blame Marsden for leaving- he was one of the most underused actors in X2.

The X-Men franchise is seemingly falling apart before our eyes. Once the Salkind's turned over the rights to the Supes franchise, it was all down hill from there.

Watch as Hugh Jackman gets to co-produce and co-write the new movie.

I hope the franchise can keep going strong.

Right.

My post above was actually a riff on the Superman franchise post #2. Reeve got a lot of creative control with the movies, which didn't do them any good, and the Salkind's turned over the producing rights after the 2nd movie as well and the drop in film quality showed on the screen. Funny stuff, especially when Reeve would blow off responsibility for the shitty storylines he helped come up with for Supes 4, which was a total train wreck in front of and behind the camera.

"I would rather him write the thing than direct it though."

*Remembers Alien: Resurrection, shudders*

"Its not Singer and all sequels supposedly suck, so El Satanico, expect it on a smarks board."

Considering how few comic-book based movies are actually even decent, skepticism is expected. Plus, even decent directors can screw up majorly with comic book films. A director who doesn't quite "get it" can tank a movie, even if it has a solid script.

"My post above was actually a riff on the Superman franchise post #2. Reeve got a lot of creative control with the movies, which didn't do them any good, and the Salkind's turned over the producing rights after the 2nd movie as well and the drop in film quality showed on the screen. Fun stuff, look it up if you want. "

I know about Reeves having a heavy hand (pun intended) with the script for 4 (aka Captain Planet, the movie!), but I didn't know he had any say on Superman III. I'm quite surprised about that one. I thought it was just an exec who wanted to cash in Pryor.

Actually, I take it back.

The Salkinds still were the producers when Supes 3 was being made. In fact, they were the ones who came up with the "hip' and "contemporary" flick that saw a declining Richard Pryor mugging for the camera with the threat of some lameass super computer taking over the world.

It should have been about Brainiac.

Reeve, after the movie bombed, said he'd never do another Superman movie but was persuaded into doing 4 when he got script approval rights, along with a fat, fat pay day for the film. Cannon Films had licensed the the movie rights from the Salkinds and it was downhill from there. The budget was ridiculously low and about half of the movie and it's filmed scenes never made the final cut, making for one lame abortion that was meant to be released in time for Supes' 50th Anniversary but instead showed up a year later in theatres.

There were actually *two* Solar Men in the 4th film but the 1st one was completely cut out. It went from being about 3 hours long to 90 minutes of head scratching woe for the Man of Steel.

Reeve said he'd never do another Superman flick after this but much of the blame should have been shouldered by him. He had co-written the script and agreed to star in the abomination after getting script approval power before asking if he could co-write the flick itself.

Superman 4 will go down as one of the biggest fuck-ups in movie history. What began as Superman 4 and what ended up being the finished product were two very different things. Hideous, hideous stuff, with this X-Men 3 news almost mirroring the problems the post 2 movies faced after Richard Lester took over as director for 3. It was all downhill from there.

Right.

My post above was actually a riff on the Superman franchise post #2. Reeve got a lot of creative control with the movies, which didn't do them any good, and the Salkind's turned over the producing rights after the 2nd movie as well and the drop in film quality showed on the screen. Funny stuff, especially when Reeve would blow off responsibility for the shitty storylines he helped come up with for Supes 4, which was a total train wreck in front of and behind the camera.

Let's also not forget Richard Donner leaving midway thru the second movie. What probably would have been a tight and cohesive tale ended up being a mishmash. All the scenes with Gene Hackman in them were filmed by Donner. What Richard Lester gave us was Three Kryptonian Villains in the Boondocks LOL TEH PLANET HOOSTON~!!11!!!!1! There are a few other differences between the two directors' parts, but I can't help thinking the movie would have been a lot better if Donner had stayed on the whole time.

There's no way the Superman symbol net would have made the final cut in 2 if Donner had been directing. Hell, it probably wouldn't have been used at all. That thing always bugged me.

But, oh man, nothing bugged me more about Supes 2 than the Super kiss at the end. Patrick Duffy had nothing on that ending.

Guest JMA
Actually, I take it back.

The Salkinds still were the producers when Supes 3 was being made.  In fact, they were the ones who came up with the "hip' and "contemporary" flick that saw a declining Richard Pryor mugging for the camera with the threat of some lameass super computer taking over the world.

It should have been about Brainiac.

That would've been great. Especially if it was the Wolfman/Perez version of the character (the cyber-organic one).

And the fourth movie could've had the Parasite and the returning Lex Luthor.

Guest JMA
Let's also not forget Richard Donner leaving midway thru the second movie.  What probably would have been a tight and cohesive tale ended up being a mishmash.  All the scenes with Gene Hackman in them were filmed by Donner.  What Richard Lester gave us was Three Kryptonian Villains in the Boondocks LOL TEH PLANET HOOSTON~!!11!!!!1!  There are a few other differences between the two directors' parts, but I can't help thinking the movie would have been a lot better if Donner had stayed on the whole time.

I'm hoping that Warner Brothers eventually releases an extended version of Superman II.

Apparently, there's an online campaign that's set out to do just that--here.

I hope nobody is badmouthing Superman 2, because if so, I will come to their house and shake it to the ground.

ALL HAIL ZOD! RULER OF PLANET HOUSTON!

I'll forever hate Whedon for Alien Resurrection.

That wasn't his fault. The studio had it written, and re-written over and over again.

But I am a bit biased.