TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Thomas Haden Church cast as villain for Spider-Man

I don't get why some people get so upset with the prospect of Topher Grace doing Venom. If they go the route where he's a guy who (somehow, symbiotic suit or not) get powers similar to Spiderman, but uses them for personal gain instead of helping others, it would make for a much more interesting story. So look at it like this: he's a nerdy kid who gets walked all over by the world and he somehow get's these awesome powers, but he doesn't have that Uncle Ben influence like Peter, so he turns out bad. Then you can have Parker thinking to himself "if I didn't have the good upbringing I did, could I have turned out like this guy?"

That, I think, makes for a much more interseting story than "Big dumb muscle guy who hates Spiderman gets alien suit and goes psycho."

And to be honest, I think a lot of people who have this mad love for Venom have never read the comics (probably watched the animated series) and don't realize what a shitty character he actually is.

There's already some especulation regarding what's the reflection in Spidey's eye. Some say it's Venom's face, while others say it's an image of somebody holding a person up in arms. Guys?

It just looks like the street below to me. I have it on full enlarge and it doesn't look like anything but an alleyway to me.

Then of course it could be nothing. Could be people seeing things where there's nothing, like when some swore they saw Boba Fett on Episode I.

There's already some especulation regarding what's the reflection in Spidey's eye. Some say it's Venom's face, while others say it's an image of somebody holding a person up in arms. Guys?

It just looks like the street below to me. I have it on full enlarge and it doesn't look like anything but an alleyway to me.

Same here. Given the past posters, I think something will be added closer to the release, once more stuff is confirmed, images have been released, but for now, with everything staying so secretive, they aren't going to give anything yet.

As they only have the original cast signed up untill the end of Spiderman III the following will happen:

- Sony/Rami etc have all publicly stated that the plan is for 6 films.

- They will sign Tobey Maguire to a Keanue-Reeves-Matrix-Sequels sized deal for films IV-VI. 8 figures + points.

Spiderman III - Spiderman takes on the Sandman, destroying a city block in the process, and becoming the subject of a police hunt, leading him to encounter the police captains daughter Gwen Stacey. Peter is on the outer at The Bugle for breaking up Mary-Jane and JJs son, leading to Eddie Brock(Topher Grace) becoming JJ's go to guy for photography. A heated rivalry ensures as Brock has always looked up to Peter and his life, and Eddie Brock develops a huge crush on MJ. Harry takes up the mantle of The GreenGoblin/HobGobblin and is the main villian. JJs son goes on a mission to outspace and an alien Sympiote attaches itself to the ship. Spiderman has to help save the crew when the landing goes wrong and finds the Sympiote. Having had difficulties surviving the attacks of two enemies at the same time (Gobblin/Sandman teamup) he uses the Symbiote as a black suit to increase his abillities. Harry feels angered by Spiderman's role in his father's death, and decides Peter should lose someone he cares greatly for. The GreenGoblin re-enacts the bridge scene from the first movie, and MJ dies this time. Spiderman and The Gobblin have an epic fight where Harry is defeated, but Spiderman cannot kill him. Peter realises the suit is starting to take control so he ditches it. Eddie Brock is enraged at Spiderman and the GreenGoblin for MJ's death and kills Harry it a fit of rage. Then while contemplating killing himself over what he has done he finds the Sympiote suit, which is also angry at Spiderman for his rejection, and becomes Venom in the final frames of the movie.

Spiderman IV - Spiderman Vs Venom. Detailed setup of Dr. Conners transformation into the Lizard, perhaps he regrows his arm at the end of the movie. Peter and Gwen get serious.

Spiderman V - Spiderman Vs The Lizard & either Electro/Scorpion/Vulture/Rhino etc. Mix in the Black Cat as a potential Love intrest.

Spiderman VI - Spiderman and the Sinister 6: Spiderman takes on the Sinister 6 comprised of GreenGoblin(III), DocOck, Sandman, Venom, The Lizard and either Electro/Scorpion/Vulture/Rhino etc.

Umm is this what you think will happen or do you know?

Because if it is true, then thanks for spoiling something asshole.

I don't get why some people get so upset with the prospect of Topher Grace doing Venom. If they go the route where he's a guy who (somehow, symbiotic suit or not) get powers similar to Spiderman, but uses them for personal gain instead of helping others, it would make for a much more interesting story. So look at it like this: he's a nerdy kid who gets walked all over by the world and he somehow get's these awesome powers, but he doesn't have that Uncle Ben influence like Peter, so he turns out bad. Then you can have Parker thinking to himself "if I didn't have the good upbringing I did, could I have turned out like this guy?"

That, I think, makes for a much more interseting story than "Big dumb muscle guy who hates Spiderman gets alien suit and goes psycho."

And to be honest, I think a lot of people who have this mad love for Venom have never read the comics (probably watched the animated series) and don't realize what a shitty character he actually is.

Early Venom was great, but some time around the early-mid 90's they changed him, and ruined him, for a lot of fans such as myself.

As they only have the original cast signed up untill the end of Spiderman III the following will happen:

- Sony/Rami etc have all publicly stated that the plan is for 6 films.

- They will sign Tobey Maguire to a Keanue-Reeves-Matrix-Sequels sized deal for films IV-VI. 8 figures + points.

Spiderman III - Spiderman takes on the Sandman, destroying a city block in the process, and becoming the subject of a police hunt, leading him to encounter the police captains daughter Gwen Stacey. Peter is on the outer at The Bugle for breaking up Mary-Jane and JJs son, leading to Eddie Brock(Topher Grace) becoming JJ's go to guy for photography. A heated rivalry ensures as Brock has always looked up to Peter and his life, and Eddie Brock develops a huge crush on MJ. Harry takes up the mantle of The GreenGoblin/HobGobblin and is the main villian. JJs son goes on a mission to outspace and an alien Sympiote attaches itself to the ship. Spiderman has to help save the crew when the landing goes wrong and finds the Sympiote. Having had difficulties surviving the attacks of two enemies at the same time (Gobblin/Sandman teamup) he uses the Symbiote as a black suit to increase his abillities. Harry feels angered by Spiderman's role in his father's death, and decides Peter should lose someone he cares greatly for. The GreenGoblin re-enacts the bridge scene from the first movie, and MJ dies this time. Spiderman and The Gobblin have an epic fight where Harry is defeated, but Spiderman cannot kill him. Peter realises the suit is starting to take control so he ditches it. Eddie Brock is enraged at Spiderman and the GreenGoblin for MJ's death and kills Harry it a fit of rage. Then while contemplating killing himself over what he has done he finds the Sympiote suit, which is also angry at Spiderman for his rejection, and becomes Venom in the final frames of the movie.

Spiderman IV - Spiderman Vs Venom. Detailed setup of Dr. Conners transformation into the Lizard, perhaps he regrows his arm at the end of the movie. Peter and Gwen get serious.

Spiderman V - Spiderman Vs The Lizard & either Electro/Scorpion/Vulture/Rhino etc. Mix in the Black Cat as a potential Love intrest.

Spiderman VI - Spiderman and the Sinister 6: Spiderman takes on the Sinister 6 comprised of GreenGoblin(III), DocOck, Sandman, Venom, The Lizard and either Electro/Scorpion/Vulture/Rhino etc.

Umm is this what you think will happen or do you know?

Because if it is true, then thanks for spoiling something asshole.

Hahahahahahhaha, you think studios actually plan 4 movies ahead? That's a good one.

I think that was IGN.com's 'dream' scenario for the Spiderman series.

Sorry, I'm going to turn this into a comics nerd thread.

That's such bullshit. Venom was fucking terrific until the end of ASM #375 in the SM continuity. From the start of his own series, they ruined him, but Venom was created in 1988, and Marvel was desperate to create another viable character (let's be real, the last American comic character who was big is Wolverine, created in 1974.) Venom was seriously overeposed.

Past that he was written like shit, but so was every single Marvel character.

Venom was never supposed to be a 'dumb muscle guy.' He was fucking crafty, and malicious. Look at his second and fourth ASM appearances. He fucks with Peter right in front of Aunt May, plays cat and mouse with SM and ALWAYS wins that game, and in general just enjoys fucking with SM without threatening his family (which is an important difference from the Osbornes)

The main problem is Venom was created in 1988, overexposed from the get-go (since he was very popular), and then fell victom to terrible mid-90's Marvel writing, which affected every character.

EDIT: One thing that's for sure is that Eddie Brock's origin was complete shit. They did it MUCH better in Ultimate SM, and I think that sort of motivation is what they're going with with Topher. In that regards, I say fucking go for it.

That's such bullshit. Venom was fucking terrific until the end of ASM #375 in the SM continuity. From the start of his own series, they ruined him, but Venom was created in 1988, and Marvel was desperate to create another viable character (let's be real, the last American comic character who was big is Wolverine, created in 1974.) Venom was seriously overeposed.

Venom was never supposed to be a 'dumb muscle guy.' He was fucking crafty, and malicious. Look at his second and fourth ASM appearances. He fucks with Peter right in front of Aunt May, plays cat and mouse with SM and ALWAYS wins that game, and in general just enjoys fucking with SM without threatening his family (which is an important difference from the Osbornes)

The main problem is Venom was created in 1988, overexposed from the get-go (since he was very popular), and then fell victom to terrible mid-90's Marvel writing, which affected every character.

EDIT: One thing that's for sure is that Eddie Brock's origin was complete shit. They did it MUCH better in Ultimate SM, and I think that sort of motivation is what they're going with with Topher. In that regards, I say fucking go for it.

Yeah, I probably should have said "what a shitty character he bacame." Marvel torched him in the 90's so badly that the character leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's why I'd rather see a new take on the character, more of a 'mirror Spiderman' AND a 'mirror Peter Parker.' I've actually never gotten into Ultimate Spider-Man, so I don't know if that version of Venom is viable or not.

Yeah, I probably should have said "what a shitty character he bacame." Marvel torched him in the 90's so badly that the character leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's why I'd rather see a new take on the character, more of a 'mirror Spiderman' AND a 'mirror Peter Parker.' I've actually never gotten into Ultimate Spider-Man, so I don't know if that version of Venom is viable or not.

The USM version of Venom is extremely viable IMO, specially if you want to translate it to the big screen. It connected Brock and Peter as childhood friends somewhat and that their parents worked on this "Venom Project" which consisted of an organic suit that could cure the human body's diseases enhancing its natural healing abilities. It sounds more down to earth than the regular 616 Marvel Universe origin and the cartoon origin (which is extremely cool BTW.)

Here's how I would lay it out...

Spiderman 3: Hobgoblin/Spiderman showdown kills Mary Jane, Spidey is generally just angry at everyone. Meanwhile childhood friend of Peter, Eddie Brock moves back into town with news of Peter's parents past. They had created a natural healing suit but something went wrong. Spidey joins with the suit and deals with Sandman and finally stops Hobgoblin. At the end he, with friend Gwen Stacey, abandons the suit. Eddie Brock who has become jealous with Peter joins with the suit.

Spiderman 4: Spidey falls in love with Gwen Stacey and fights Venom. Brock is put in prison with serial killer Cletus Kasady.

Spiderman 5: Venom/Spiderman/Everyone vs Carnage saga.

Spiderman 6: Peter merries Gwen and fights off the Sinister 6: Hobgoblin, Sandman, Mysterio, Electro, Vulture, Lizard (5 and 6 plants seeds for Sinister 6)

I don't get why some people get so upset with the prospect of Topher Grace doing Venom.

You know how you can just look at an actor and say whether or not you can take him seriously playing in what role? George Clooney as Batman for example. Yeah, that.

Well, seeing how they're trying to stay close to the comics storyline in the movies, I'd like to see big dumb guy story play out.

Well, 411 posted another teaser poster for 3. Looks pretty cool, although indistinct as to what exactly it's showing:

spidey3poster25fs.jpg

Could be Venom, could be Lizard. Shoot, could be a re-forming Sandman under a green light for all we know.

fucked w/it it Photoshop to get a better look:

spidey3.jpg

Look closely at his ass. Looks like a tail back there, no? but the teeth do seem a little Venom-ish. And the green could just be the lighting.

I'm still not quite buying its real, the guy at 411 says "I can't promise if its real or fake" so... ok then. the creature looks too familiar like something I've seen somewhere before, and something about the way the credits and hte 'not rated' are at the bottom looks amateurish.

Oh that's so fake. Look at the big 3 at the top. It was obviously cropped out from the real poster or else it would be properly alti-aliased against the black background.

I think it would be hillarious if they brought in some relatively obscure villain to be a big part of the movie, like Shocker or Scorpion.

I think it would be hillarious if they brought in some relatively obscure villain to be a big part of the movie, like Shocker or Scorpion.

They originally were going to have Spider-man 3 start off with Spidey chasing down The Vulture.

Doesn't that face look like what's reflecting on Spider-Man's eye on the first poster?

I still see the Goblin's head in the eye, if anything at all. The fact that the green poster isn't on any of the official Marvel/Spider-man movie websites makes me think it's fake, not to mention the sketchy lettering.

Another actor signed on:

The Palm Beach Post talked to 80-year-old Cliff Robertson, who revealed that Uncle Ben will make an appearance in Spider-Man 3:

Robertson, now known as Spider-Man's uncle, told Page Two he'll take back the ghostly personae of the murdered Ben Parker in Spider-Man 3.

"I just got a call that they were going to bring my character back to life again," he said. His part is being filmed in May.

Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst are back in the lead roles, Robertson said. But he pretended to lock off his mouth with a key when asked to give up more about the future blockbuster.

...Okaaay...

So the comics bring back Bucky and Jason Todd...and now Uncle Ben is being brought back.

People are right. NO ONE stays dead in the comic universe.

I don't think he meant bringing him back to life literally...that stuff is for Superman and the X-Men.

They'll probably just use Uncle Ben like they did in the second movie... Peter will be dreaming/imaginining a conversation with him. He did it right before he decided to quit being Spider-Man.