TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Did anybody get a PSP?

I recently got Mr. Driller for the DS really cheap, but I just don't see the point in the game. is there something I'm possibly missing?

Just the basic drill down the fastest way possible and using the normal match the colors strategy to desend faster. Is DS Mr. Driller Spirits the same as GBA Mr. Driller A japanese game?

Is DS Mr. Driller Spirits the same as GBA Mr. Driller A japanese game?

No, that one was real heavy on story.

This one is more or less a slightly modified recreation of the same Mr Driller game that appeared on multiple consoles around 2000. The import version of the DS game has far more features and content that got cut because the translation team was too lazy to read all that Japanese, but obviously if you're not fluent you're going to have some problems.

From 1up.com:

Official PSP Sales

Sony reveals their own numbers.

by Patrick Klepek

04/08/2005

Sony Computer Entertainment America says their PSP hardware sold 500,000 units in its first two days of launch. The launch generated a total of $150 million in sales for the company.

Sales into the second week of release reportedly "remained strong," but the company hasn't released official numbers. One million units were shipped to retailers to support the launch.

----------

Not bad for a system with surprisingly little advance advertising (at least as far as I've experienced).

I wonder how many PSP got sent back.

I know some Walmart stores in the area have sent many back because of the price

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2005 Sales

1.) PlayStation 2 - 44,117 | 40,398 | 686,831

2.) Nintendo DS - 42,023 | 55,825 | 527,393

3.) PSP - 33,911 | 43,043 | 667,074

4.) Game Boy Advance SP - 17,710 | 14,904 | 230,470

5.) GameCube - 3,754 | 4,568 | 78,338

6.) Game Boy Advance - 1,074 | 653 | 7,980

7.) Xbox - 335 | 406 | 5,347

1.) Tekken 5 (PS2, Namco) - 174,064 | NEW

2.) World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution (PS2, Konami) - 66,953 | 305,264

3.) Touch! Kirby (NDS, Nintendo) - 32,766 | 108,131

4.) Wild Arms: The 4th Detonator (PS2, SCE) 26,998 | 158,378

5.) Shining Force Neo (PS2, Sega) - 18,352 | 81,127

6.) Memories Off After Rain Vol. 3 (PS2, Kid) - 17,845 | NEW

7.) Shin Sangoku Musou 4 (PS2, Koei) - 16,853 | 841,657

8.) Rockman EXE 5 Team of Colonels (GBA, Capcom) - 12,028 | 142,000

9.) Egg Monster HERO (NDS, Square Enix) - 11,647 | 42,866

10.) BLEACH ~Heat The Soul~ (PSP, SCE) - 10,457 | 47,135

They're the Japanese sales, showing that the DS is still in the lead with hardware and software sales. The introduction of the new coloured DS machines has been a key strategy in Nintendo maintaining their winning streak at the moment. Since I'm slowly becoming more and more of a DS fan, this pleases me.

Also, OUCH on Tekken's first week sales, which are WAY under what Namco expected it to sell. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they estimated that 500k would shift in the first week of sales.

It's nice to see Egg Monster HERO and Touch! Kirby on there!

Both the DS and PSP will bring in big numbers, and that's good news for everyone as far as I'm concerned.

Those numbers for Tekken 5 are not really for the first week. It was only on sale for 3 days for that list. 174,000 is not bad for a fighting game in Japan. Namco expecting 500,000 is insane.

E3's supposed to shed light on the "new Game Boy." For now, I'm sure people are hesitant to adopt if they think something better is coming so soon.

Of course, a PSP can't really play DS games, but a PSP can emulate GB/GBC/GBA/NES games rather well.

That GTA that appeared on the PSP's list of upcoming games--does it actually exist? Not even a screenshot has appeared yet.

I got a PSP almost a month ago...

I found it in the mall parking lot in it's protective carrying case with Need for Speed Underground: Rivals. It works perfectly, but I've been out of power for over a week, so I need to buy a charger soon.

Well, I did it. I finally broke down and bought a PSP (with 1.50 firmware). I did it right now for two reasons:

-As time goes by, the PSPs with 1.50 firmware will become rare, as others like me try to get their hands on it.

-As the release date for GTA: LCS gets closer, the prices of used PSPs are likely to go up a little bit.

I paid $206, and I got the PSP value pack with everything that came with it, as well as the Twisted Metal game. I then went to eBay and bought a 1gb memory stick for about $86.xx after shipping.

This little machine is far greater than I thought it was. I STILL stand behind there not being any games for it that are really must haves at the moment. I might pick up Lumines and Hot Shots Golf, but that'll be about it until GTA. The PSP game lineup really does suck, there isn't any question about that in my eyes.

Thank God I have a DS as well.

Anyway, here are the reasons why I'm really blown away with the PSP:

-While Twisted Metal isn't a great game in my eyes, I've never really liked it at all, I love the online feature. It's just too cool being able to play against people from all over the world on this little machine, in the bathroom, outside, in town, or just anywhere else. I've been playing that game just because that's so cool to me.

-Wow, do movies look great on this thing or what? The Spider-Man 2 UMD that came with it just looks amazing. I'm not about to lay down $15-$25 for movies I already have on DVD, but if I can ever find some used for $5-$8 or so, I'd gladly do so.

-Ok, if you stay up to date on PSP news, you know that this Sony is releasing the 2.0 firmware for the US tomorrow. The big thing is that it has a pretty solid browser for you to go online with (If you went ahead and updated using the Japanese update you might have used it already). Now I know that the browser would be great, but since I want to stay at 1.50 until they crack future firmware, I'm using the Tenchi browser hack. It isn't perfect, but I can get online on my PSP now. Thank God for people who know how to figure out this homebrew stuff. The Tenchi browser rocks, and it's easy to personalize.

-NES, GB, SNES, Genesis, etc... on the go. Need I say more?

-How can I not love having the new Family Guy movie on my PSP anywhere I go?

-Comic books, novels, manga, and other reading material to go? Again, I love it.

-Finally, the screen is just flat out beautiful. I'm shocked at how crisp and clean it looks, and I'm especially shocked at how large it really does look. I bought my PSP used, so it did have a few scratches on it. However, I followed the guide at IGN, and now my PSP is about 99.99% scratch-free. It's very easy to clean off.

Anyway, I'm a huge PSP fan now, this thing will go everywhere with me now.

For now though, it's still the DS for actual released games. Nintendo is still king on that front. :)

Well, not being the most tech savvy type (I have a cellphone only for emergencies, and it's bare bones; no MP3 player, I still use those big shiny discs), the PSP is still a bust AFAIC for games, so I'm not budging on that. UMD movies are a poor value, and since I drive myself around I don't really have any need or desire to watch movies on the go.

Sadly, both Nintendo and Sony were quite myopic with designing the controls. A clicky thumb-stick with analog capability would have done wonders for the DS, even though the touch screen can be used like one. PSP has nothing of the sort, which kind of ruins Ape Escape (and dual analogs would have been boss with Mega Man Legends). Both are short on buttons, although DS has the capability to replace them in other ways.

I'm looking into getting a DS around Christmas time. So far, not a single game on PSP looks like something I'd want the system for.

Supposedly the PS3 will play UMD movies (it's practically set in stone). PSP connectivity is a definite although how it works isn't clear. Heck, the PS3 supports the PSP memory sticks. So I bet PS3 will play PSP games (smaller disc size sure, but if Rev can do GC, should be no problem). However, letting that cat out of the bag could do a lot of harm to the PSP sales.

Like I said, the actual PSP game lineup is pure shit, with a few decent games (Hot Shots Golf and the such) and one really good one (Lumines, and that's just a puzzle game).

The only game that comes out for the rest of the year that looks like something that will be REALLY good is the GTA game, that's a must for me.

The DS on the other hand has a series of games about to come out, starting with Advance Wars, Nintendogs, and Pac N Roll (I want that one to be pretty good, but I doubt it will be since EGM game it a 6.83).

According to today's Famitsu, the Japanese remake of Gyakuten Saiban for the DS (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney in the US) will have a full English option to switch everything over to the US version of the game (complete with US logo, splash screens, etc.).

If you can't wait til the US release (EB says Oct. 17), the Japanese one is out on Sept. 15. Of course, the Japanese one costs like $20 more, but still.

Believe or not, Gyakuten Saiban is the one of the two games that makes me really want to get a DS, the other being Advance Wars DS.

I still feel very lukewarm for the PSP since there's no killer app game on it for me. The multimedia aspect is tempting, but the lack of games still turns me off.

I've been playing Taiko no Tatsujin for the PSP for the past day, and I am just flat out addictied to this game! We need some games like this for the PSP here in the states.

I'd love to have Gitaroo Man for the PSP. :)

I've also played the Japanese shooter Star Soldier, and I really like that one also. It's interesting how you play the game holding the PSP vertical.

I've also tried out Coded Arms, and I actually really like that one also. Sure the different areas look a lot alike, but for some reason I am really into it. I guess I'm just amazed that it's a portable game, a pretty decent portable FPS.

Then Lumines, of course I love that one.

Coded Arms is shit, I'm sorry. I wanted to like it, too.

I still only own one game, Metal Gear Acid, although I've rented Lumines and Wipeout and Twisted Metal as well. MGA is a very fun game, although it eventually reaches a point where you encounter a level that requires more thought than you're really willing to think and just put it down.

I'm an upgrade freak who always loves big version numbers, so I went ahead and upgraded to 1.51 as soon as possible before a hacker community had even really begun to exist yet (I think there was a regular B&W Game Boy emulator at the time, but it could crash your system for good if you used it wrong.) We all saw what an intelligent move that was.

Sensing that nobody is going to bother cracking that version, what everyone wants is the 2.0 browser and the cowboy hacking of 1.50, I jumped to Japanese 2.0 the very first day it appeared online, and before Sony could tell me that doing so voids my warranty. Sheesh. Well, I'm still pleased with it, and won't go to the US 2.0, because it will probably have FURTHER padlocks on it than the Japanese one did.

The browser is more useful to me than the game machine, since I'm too poor to afford a laptop. My computer and our big TV are on different floors, so it's nice to able to have an online walkthrough displayed on your PSP while playing a game, without having to get up and run upstairs to the computer.

I'm still not looking forward to much on PSP, but I'm also still not looking forward to anything other than internet-online Mario Kart on DS either, unless the pseudo-retro Mario platformer game turns out to be REALLY old-school in how it plays.

My problem with both these systems so far is that they both seem really oriented towards Japan, with any success in the US just being a happy coincidence that they don't really care about. The PSP web browser, ultimately, is a way of telling Japan to buy one because it displays web pages better than their cell phone without giving up too much portability. While that's fine, it means the software library is also going to be steered very hard towards Japan, with most the releases here being the games that can make it over with minimal culture clashing.

And I'm just not interested in Asian style gaming, thank you. Never really have been.

Holy.Crap.

I am trying out Virtua Tennis World Tour, and it's just awesome, AWESOME people! I'll be picking placing my order for this game ASAP.

I just can't freakin' believe this game is on a handheld system.

*drools*

"My problem with both these systems so far is that they both seem really oriented towards Japan, with any success in the US just being a happy coincidence that they don't really care about"

The PSP?! How do you mean?

Well, the release schedule is pure shit, with only the occasional platformer or puzzle game. Oh, and the obligatory Tony Hawk.

Meanwhile, in Japan, I mean jesus, they're already making sequels to the varoius anime licensed games they've already made with even more of that crap down the pipe.

Well, Bandai jumps on any new (Japanese) system. Just like the GC is riddled with licensed American crap games here, it's riddled with licensed anime crap over there.

However, Japan in general has embraced the DS more, in no small part because of Nintendogs.

And, hot damn--a game I actually want to play on PSP!!

http://game-science.com/news/001175.php

I'm still waiting on that Demon's Crest sequel, but this should do nicely, Capcom.

Looks like old school plus some bitchin' new art direction.

PSP having MK II, MK3, MKD, SFA 3 and Darkstalkers is tempting me to pick one up. If Tekken ever comes out I'll be sold.

DS on the other hand, still has nothing I'd want outside castlevania. What's with the Princess Peach game? Who is going to want that?

Here is the best game for the DS:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-.../section-games/

Buy it, and fucking LOVE it. It's buy the team that brought the world Gitaroo-Man for the PS2. I can't stop playing this one, it has me hooked. It's a Japanese game, but all games work on all DS systems.

You do not need to know any Japanese at all to be able to follow the story, since the visuals do a perfect job. It's a rhythm based game, like Gitaroo-Man and others like that, so you should get the basic idea just from that.

Oddly enough, my second favorite PSP game is from Japan also:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-.../section-games/

It's another rhythm based game, and I like this version better than the PS2 version that has actual drums. My favorite PSP game so far however is Virtua Tennis: World Tour. How ironic is it that my two favorite PSP games aren't even available here in the US.

Quick question for anyone in the know:

I got a PSP Saturday, and it's great, but I'm wondering how to put an MP4 movie I've already downloaded onto the PSP. It's really bugging me. Also, anyone know of any good PSP forums?