TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Jarrett meeting with Viacom

From Meltzer:

--From a Spike source, Jeff Jarrett had a brief meeting with a mid-level executive yesterday about getting on the network. There wasn't any real interest expressed from the Spike side. The discussions were not about a Monday night time slot. The feeling from the network is even if TNA could do a 1.5 in a good time slot, and its track record on FSN indicates it couldn't come close to that number, Spike could get the same rating with a McGyver repeat at no cost, and get far more advertising revenue because it's hard to sell wrestling. (thanks to Alex Marvez)

TNA competing with Raw? Riiiiiight. What will HHH/Batista, Jericho/Hassan, and Benoit/Orton be competing with?

Oh, Abyss squashing talent in a minute, Jeff Hardy hitting a sloppy Swanton, Dustin Rhodes NWA Title chase, and Lex Lovett Vs. The Outlaw.

Pass.

Guest MikeSC
Here's Keller's full update about the situation:

Jeff Jarrett met with Spike TV in New York this week to discuss the potential of TNA moving to the cable channel this fall after WWE's programming contract expires. Jarrett was said to be "extremely upbeat" and "optimistic" coming out of the meeting.

Spike executives are said to be interested because it is an established product with a three year track record of producing network-ready shows, plus the pricetag would be much lower than WWE to make up for what would certainly be lower ratings initially than what Spike is used to. Plus, Spike officials walked away from negotiations with Vince McMahon with animosity toward WWE. "Vince has a way of being pompous in those types of meetings, and network execs aren't used to that. They're used to being the pompous ones," says one source familiar with the situation.

There isn't any confirmation whether there is any clause in its contract with WWE that would prevent it from airing TNA immediately after the final WWE Raw program airs. Conceivably, TNA could be introduced to Raw viewers by airing a one-hour special immediately following the final Raw broadcast or airing in Raw's timeslot the following week.

Spike TV would be able to provide production funding to allow TNA to increase the quality of the look and feel of the show so it would fully compete with WWE on that level. The influx of revenue from Spike would also allow TNA to run actual arenas rather than running tapings exclusively at Universal Studios, assuming TNA wanted to shake-up that aspect of its shows.

TNA has also had recent discussions with one other major cable network that would be able to clear a weekday primetime slot for the program.

There is one major top level star who has expressed serious interest in working for TNA should it ever get a national primetime television clearance. His involvement from the onset would assure TNA of attracting WWE fans from day one of any new primetime clearance.

Keller seems to be ignoring that networks are not so much concerned as producing "network-ready" shows (which, no, they don't have a long track record of doing) but rather, whether they can bring respectable ratings (and they have a 3-year track record of not doing so).

-=Mike

TNA competing with Raw? Riiiiiight. What will HHH/Batista, Jericho/Hassan, and Benoit/Orton be competing with?

Oh, Abyss squashing talent in a minute, Jeff Hardy hitting a sloppy Swanton, Dustin Rhodes NWA Title chase, and Lex Lovett Vs. The Outlaw.

Pass.

Don't forget Monty Brown vs Try "another gimmick please" tan, Buck Quartermane vs Syxx-pac, Apollo vs Flying Elvis Sonny, and Shocker being held down by the rednecks who don't understand lucha libre.

Maybe the serious star is Matt Hardy?

He no longer has a reason to stay in the WWE since he has apparently invested his money wisely and he might want to get away from Lita, Edge and the entire WWE locker room that just shrugged their shoulders.

2Gold, that's one of the most interesting ideas I've heard all week. After all, his brother does work for TNA. Anyone know when Matt's contract comes up for renewal?

There is one major top level star who has expressed serious interest in working for TNA should it ever get a national primetime television clearance. His involvement from the onset would assure TNA of attracting WWE fans from day one of any new primetime clearance.

Matt Hardy? :lol:

Guest MikeSC

And companies that exist solely because a larger company permits them to do so don't get TV deals.

No network exec wants the fallout should, say, Panda pull out of TNA.

-=Mike

Major star? Hmmm...what major star has been at odds with the WWE recently...knows that the regime is now under HHH and Nipple H control...can't stand both of them....and is free to do as he wants...and was watching old Memphis and Nashville shows lately (according to interviews....)

AND...knows how huge he could be in showing how HE can compete and really shake thing up....who could cement a place in everybody's mind????

Who???

CANNNNNNNNNNNNN YOUUUUUUUUUUUU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WHAT THE ROCK....ISSSSSSS COOKING?

If (and we, as in everybody on this board have no full knowledge yet) Rock does indeed own The Rock...what is to stop this? The man, singlehandedly, could make TNA true competition to WWE programming. He could bring aboard new people, and, the $$$ does not matter to him as much (inside reports say Spy Hunter and Doom may do $100 mil + each, maybe).

Just throwing that out there.

You know, you can talk all you want about the "stigma" of wrestling, but back when the WWE used to run on USA, I knew exactly what channel it was, and I'd always flip over there to watch movies and stuff. The lead-in of WWE got me into "La Femme Nikita" as well.

Now, I honestly couldn't tell you what channel USA is on TV, and it's never one of the channels I flip through. However, despite the fact that I can't think of one show besides WWE that I watch on Spike even semi-regularly, I always flip through it as one of my main channels that I check for shows on.

I think Chris Jericho's deal runs out in nine months. I might have the name wrong, but I remember reading that some major name's deal was set to expire this year.

I think Meltzer mentioned that it was a possibilty if he decided to run with the Fozzy thing more than he does now as TNA's schedule would be more condusive to touring with a band. 3 shows a month isn't hard to work in, WWE does something like 16 a month for each brand, I think.

And Keller is on crack if he thinks that Spike will dump a ton of money into TNA.

Guest MikeSC
CANNNNNNNNNNNNN YOUUUUUUUUUUUU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WHAT THE ROCK....ISSSSSSS COOKING?

If (and we, as in everybody on this board have no full knowledge yet) Rock does indeed own The Rock...what is to stop this? The man, singlehandedly, could make TNA true competition to WWE programming. He could bring aboard new people, and, the $$$ does not matter to him as much (inside reports say Spy Hunter and Doom may do $100 mil + each, maybe).

Just throwing that out there.

Go ahead and take it back. Rock doesn't need to wrestle ever again and would only do so out of loyalty for the company that made his movie career possible.

-=Mike

-- The discussions were not about a Monday night time slot. The feeling from the network is even if TNA could do a 1.5 in a good time slot, and its track record on FSN indicates it couldn't come close to that number

That's stupid. Nothing does a `1.5 on FSN. Impact (back when it wasnt complete shit) was consistently getting the highest ratings on the station every week.

Guest MikeSC
-- The discussions were not about a Monday night time slot. The feeling from the network is even if TNA could do a 1.5 in a good time slot, and its track record on FSN indicates it couldn't come close to that number

That's stupid. Nothing does a `1.5 on FSN. Impact (back when it wasnt complete shit) was consistently getting the highest ratings on the station every week.

And those ratings were...?

If RAW was on FSN, I guarantee it'd pull at least a 3.

-=Mike

The point, that you missed, was that Impact hasn't shown an ability to get any kind of decent to strong ratings.

Obviously, that was aimed that the kid.

No I didnt miss that. Impact blows right now.

My point, was that's not an excuse because nothing else on the network gets any better ratings either.

Guest MikeSC
The point, that you missed, was that Impact hasn't shown an ability to get any kind of decent to strong ratings.

Obviously, that was aimed that the kid.

No I didnt miss that. Impact blows right now.

My point, was that's not an excuse because nothing else on the network gets any better ratings either.

If "nothing" on that network draws --- that includes Impact.

Why would Spike take a fed that, in your own words, doesn't draw ratings?

-=Mike

-=Mike

Yes, I know that. Once again, its not that they cant draw ratings (which they cant, but for the purpose of arguement) it's that NOTHING on FSN draws ratings. Its not because the shows cant draw, its because FSN isnt a hig-ratings network like Spike or USA.

Comparing what a show would get on FSN to what that same show would get on USA or Spike is stupid, because their different channels with different ratings.

If Impact can't make an impact on even a small time channel like FSN, why should we expect them to make any kind of splash on a channel like Spike ? If Impact was any kind of good, they'd at least be getting gangbuster numbers when compared to everything else on FSN.

If Impact was doing the best ratings it could in current timeslot, FSN would move it. Obviously, FSN feel Impact is in the timeslot its ratings deserve. Should Impact ever do well, then FSN will give it a timeslot it would have shown it deserves.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Yes, I know that. Once again, its not that they cant draw ratings (which they cant, but for the purpose of arguement) it's that NOTHING on FSN draws ratings. Its not because the shows cant draw, its because FSN isnt a hig-ratings network like Spike or USA.

NOTHING, of course, includes TNA.

NOTHING on TNN drew ratings before RAW came aboard. RAW drew pretty decent numbers in spite of that.

Comparing what a show would get on FSN to what that same show would get on USA or Spike is stupid, because their different channels with different ratings.

WWE MADE Spike a national channel. Before them, it was Nashville. And if RAW went to FSN (any idea where it IS going, HTQ?), it'd draw good numbers there.

Impact won't draw squat on whatever network it was on.

I'd blame a lot of the lack of ratings on this lousy timeslot.

Infomercials don't get prime time slots.

And, people love to forget this, Impact IS an infomercial. It's paid programming and nothing more.

-=Mike

WWE MADE Spike a national channel. Before them, it was Nashville. And if RAW went to FSN (any idea where it IS going, HTQ?), it'd draw good numbers there.

USA and Vince will probably come to some sort of arrangement unless Vince tries to be stubborn about it. In this case, Vince needs to suck it in, because USA is the best option available. Anything else would likely be seen as a move down for WWE.

Guest MikeSC

I agree that a mvoe to anywhere but USA would be a step down --- but let's say Vince goes to FX or FSN and draws similar numbers.

Couldn't it be argued that it might help him with advertisers and network execs that he can put the asses in front of the TV sets on that channel at all times?

-=Mike

...If it showed up on TNT, I'd shit myself...

I think Vince would rather swallow his pride a little and go with whatever deal he can strike with USA than go to FX or FSN. USA has a certain name value that FX and FSN, whatever their penetration might be, just doesn't have, and I think Vince would rather go with a proven name like USA than try and make a name out of FX or FSN.

And Raw can't show up on TNT or any Turner network for another year at least.