TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

President Bush seeks advice from Clinton, Father

washingtontimes.com

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE -- President Bush solicited foreign policy advice from former President Bill Clinton at CIA briefings this week and even told Mr. Clinton that he liked his approach to reforming Social Security.

This whole situation with President's Clinton and Bush becoming buddies, and know looking like current President Bush becoming part ot the dynamic duo. Is just, really weird.

washingtontimes.com

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE -- President Bush solicited foreign policy advice from former President Bill Clinton at CIA briefings this week and even told Mr. Clinton that he liked his approach to reforming Social Security.

This whole situation with President's Clinton and Bush becoming buddies, and know looking like current President Bush becoming part ot the dynamic duo. Is just, really weird.

I think it all started at the opening of the Clinton Library. Bush Sr. supposedly gave some sort of really complimentary speech, and the two have become bosom buddies ever since.

It is kind of bizarre to see them together, but honestly, it should be THAT weird if you think about it. Clinton was really more of a moderate guy, politically, and he's charismatic as hell.

Ford is just inches away from his trip in a coffin and doesn't go out in public anymore, from what I heard. Carter deserves to be out in left field by himself.

And of course Bush liked Clinton's way -- Democrats weren't in hysterics over it back then. Odd how back in '98 Social Security was facing a crisis, but now it's A-OK...

Odd how back in '98 Social Security was facing a crisis, but now it's A-OK...

"Clinton said it" doesn't make it any more false.

I don't know what to make of the Bill & George stuff, except Clinton is somewhat of a media whore and Bush may be seeking ways to connect with moderate Democrats without looking weak or compromised. Even though I don't like the guy, it's kind of unfortunate for him that he landed in the middle of a firestorm of the GOP's "Us VS Them, fight like it's life or death" brand of politics.

Or any more true. (Wait, does that make sense?)

OK, I'll try this -- I don't care that "Clinton said it," just the fact the same people that were supporting him back then are now on the other side of the debate.

Although I will say this regarding the whole Clinton/Bush matter. It's funny how Big Media and other talking head pundits always whine about Reps/Dems not getting along, and now that there are former Dem and Rep. presidents becoming BUTT buddies, there seems to be a mood of "OK, what's the catch?" going on...

That comment was based on projections made in 1997 that have since been revised.

I'm not saying there's not a problem with Social Security, but to use a 7 year old Clinton quote as proof of a future event is dubious reasoning.

I get the feeling a nuke could be headed for the US and democrats/republicans would still be arguing on what should be done about the nuke.

Clinton hanging out with the Bush family? Why not? Not like his own party gives a flying damn about him. Everything he says they just go "pfft, whatever Bill" and go back to yelling into the mic for an hour.

Clinton may have a load of bad ideas, but every once and a while he has a good one. If Bush wants to work with Clinton, great. I'd rather he worked with a democrat who actually thought of new ideas and had wiggle room than a room of Democrats who put their fingers in their ears and scream "LA LA LA, WE'RE RIGHT!"

Be nice if both sides would work together on things than acting like a bunch of seven year olds fighting over an action figure.

That comment was based on projections made in 1997 that have since been revised.

Source plz (don't mean to be a smart-ass here, I'm actually curious...)

I don't know what to make of the Bill & George stuff, except Clinton is somewhat of a media whore and Bush may be seeking ways to connect with moderate Democrats without looking weak or compromised. Even though I don't like the guy, it's kind of unfortunate for him that he landed in the middle of a firestorm of the GOP's "Us VS Them, fight like it's life or death" brand of politics.

Yeah, what about Howard Dean's "Republicans are demons incarnated and I hate them and they need to be deposed and then we're going to Washington, YAAAAH!" brand of politics?

Source plz (don't mean to be a smart-ass here, I'm actually curious...)

I don't have all the details, but I do know that all predictions about the future of Social Security are based on the health of the economy. Since analysts kept expecting that the economy would stop growing eventually, they kept predicting trouble for social security and it would never happen, as the economy kept doing better and better.

Things are on a decline, which gives them a bit more realistic of a view about when a problem will occur, but if the economy rises again (and more than a few people around here will tell you it will) then the date will likely be pushed off into a point in the future we can't determine again.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, what about Howard Dean's "Republicans are demons incarnated and I hate them and they need to be deposed and then we're going to Washington, YAAAAH!" brand of politics?

It's awesome.

That's what distinguished Dean as "The Outsider" and what makes Moore a kook.

Aggressive politics does have it's advantages, as it organizes a base that may have lacked the will to try their hardest in the campaign, but it only really works well for the base, to the general public it looks like the party platform is to create a bunch of TV ads calling everyone who disagrees with them a nitwit.

And that's sort of where the GOP has been since now, and it's really weird because their base helped them win a Presidential Election and can't get much more active than it already is. But still the frothing rampage continues, as they're now whipping at accusing courts that rule against their agenda of letting politics cloud their judgment. The reason why they're doing this is simply because it's the only part of government left that they can not say is swinged firmly on their side.

It's awesome.

It's also the source of the polarization, not anything the GOP instigated. The liberals controlled everything for decades. If they didn't have the executive branch, then they had the ledge and the courts...and the media. Once the GOP gets something of a foothold, then Moore and Dean and others come out of the woodwork and force the GOP to act.

And the scream was cool. It was what they needed, but they do not need someone saying that the opposition is evil and that he hates them.

I'm not surprised, Clinton (Bill at least) has sort of a reputation for taking some kind of delight in befriending political enemies. Also, I'd imagine party politics only goes so far, there is simply something more to being president that only someone else who's been a president could understand. Clinton has never been venomous towards Bush, and they actually have some stuff in common in terms political strengths.

what was funny though was before, when these bush/clinton getting all buddy-buddy reports started to come out, I was reading some right-wing site, and it was hilarious, everybody was coming up with these complicated rationalizations about how Bush couldn't possibly REALLY be becoming friends with Clinton, how Bush wouldn't REALLY associate with someone as awful a person as Clinton! Apparently not understanding the simple "it's all just politics" concept of making your political opponent look bad, and instead taking it all literally. Wingers (right and left) are truly the dumbest people in america.

I'm not surprised, Clinton (Bill at least) has sort of a reputation for taking some kind of delight in befriending political enemies. Also, I'd imagine party politics only goes so far, there is simply something more to being president that only someone else who's been a president could understand. Clinton has never been venomous towards Bush, and they actually have some stuff in common in terms political strengths.

what was funny though was before, when these bush/clinton getting all buddy-buddy reports started to come out, I was reading some right-wing site, and it was hilarious, everybody was coming up with these complicated rationalizations about how Bush couldn't possibly REALLY be becoming friends with Clinton, how Bush wouldn't REALLY associate with someone as awful a person as Clinton! Apparently not understanding the simple "it's all just politics" concept of making your political opponent look bad, and instead taking it all literally. Wingers (right and left) are truly the dumbest people in america.

Current President Bush, will replace his father when he gets too old. in all the charity work the two former Presidents are doing. Of course Bush 41 is in better health than Clinton. So it could be Father and Son, joining forces.

I'd guess that it might have something to do with Clinton's desire to be the next UN Secretary General. If he can get along with Bush and convince him that as UNSG he will advance the USA's agenda, that will significantly help him get the position. If Clinton can get the USA and China on his side then he's probably a lock for the job.

Guest MikeSC

Because we're taking in so much more money now?

The tax cuts DID work!!! :)

I'm not saying there's not a problem with Social Security, but to use a 7 year old Clinton quote as proof of a future event is dubious reasoning.

No, but common logic dictates that there is a huge problem facing us.

Clinton hanging out with the Bush family? Why not? Not like his own party gives a flying damn about him. Everything he says they just go "pfft, whatever Bill" and go back to yelling into the mic for an hour.

In their defense --- Clinton's term wasn't exactly the good days for the Dems. They only lost the Congress, most state governments, etc. under him.

-=Mike

Isn't the next UN Sec. General, supposed to be from an Asain country?

Even if Clinton wants something from it. Big deal, the work the two Presidents has done, as been charitable work so something good is coming from it. Besides, Clinton would be alot better than Kofi Annan.

Guest MikeSC

The Sec. Gen is ALSO not supposed to come from a permanent member of the Security Council.

-=Mike

It's awesome.

It's also the source of the polarization, not anything the GOP instigated. The liberals controlled everything for decades. If they didn't have the executive branch, then they had the ledge and the courts...and the media. Once the GOP gets something of a foothold, then Moore and Dean and others come out of the woodwork and force the GOP to act.

And the scream was cool. It was what they needed, but they do not need someone saying that the opposition is evil and that he hates them.

Actually, I voted for the guy with the unheard line of the year, "George W. Bush is a walking, talking corporation disguised as a human being" Not quite as aggressive as outright calling him evil and a liar, but still getting the point across.

Actually, I voted for the guy with the unheard line of the year, "George W. Bush is a walking, talking corporation disguised as a human being" Not quite as aggressive as outright calling him evil and a liar, but still getting the point across.

Nader?

Actually, I voted for the guy with the unheard line of the year, "George W. Bush is a walking, talking corporation disguised as a human being"  Not quite as aggressive as outright calling him evil and a liar, but still getting the point across.

Nader?

;)

Actually, I voted for the guy with the unheard line of the year, "George W. Bush is a walking, talking corporation disguised as a human being"  Not quite as aggressive as outright calling him evil and a liar, but still getting the point across.

Nader?

;)

I wouldn't have voted for him. My next choice was Badnarik.

The tax cuts DID work!!! :)

I was wondering about this myself. If the Bush economy is sooooo horrid, shouldn't Social Security be due to implode sometime next week?

In their defense --- Clinton's term wasn't exactly the good days for the Dems. They only lost the Congress, most state governments, etc. under him.

Don't forget all the Dems that jumped ship to the GOP -- oh, wait, you probably didn't hear about it...

I see your point.