TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

XBox

Okay, I traded in my PS2 and the few games I had for an Xbox and some games yesterday...my main reasoning was that A. all the PS2 games I currently owned were also on XBox and B. XBox has all the good Star Wars games and I'm a Star Wars nerd...basically I shoulda just bought an XBox all along when I made my decision...

Anyway, in addition to the system, I picked up X-Men Legends, Knights Of The Old Republic and Fable...I will probably get KOTOR 2 at some point as well...

Basically I'm asking for some good recommendations...i'm not set up for XBox Live yet so don't recommend a game that isn't fun unless you're set up for that...

thanks for any help and advice, guys...

X-Men Legends was a good pick-up. I still haven't opened KOTOR.

All the ESPN sports games are good. They're better online, but very fun on single player as well and they're only $15-20 each.

WrestleMania 21 is coming out next week.

Definitely get the GTA Double Pack if you haven't already beaten GTA 3 and Vice City.

Really, I can't help much other than that. I just got my Xbox in November, I don't rent much, and I got most of my Xbox games specifically with online play in mind since I have plenty of great single player games on GameCube.

As for Star Wars, the Lego Star Wars game seems quite charming and has received good reviews. The only drawback is its extreme brevity. The Episode III game is coming out on May 5th.

I would recommend Ninja Gaiden. It's a little difficult at times, but still a pretty fun game. You just have to get used to the camera, which needs re-centering sometimes.

I played the Star Wars Lego game last week, and I highly recommend it. Its very well designed, and quite addicting.

Guest MikeSC

Republic Commando is quite good --- and if you can handle some still-brutal difficulty, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is excellent.

-=Mike

X-Men Legends was a good pick-up. I still haven't opened KOTOR.

All the ESPN sports games are good. They're better online, but very fun on single player as well and they're only $15-20 each.

WrestleMania 21 is coming out next week.

Definitely get the GTA Double Pack if you haven't already beaten GTA 3 and Vice City.

Really, I can't help much other than that. I just got my Xbox in November, I don't rent much, and I got most of my Xbox games specifically with online play in mind since I have plenty of great single player games on GameCube.

As for Star Wars, the Lego Star Wars game seems quite charming and has received good reviews. The only drawback is its extreme brevity. The Episode III game is coming out on May 5th.

I was going to get X-Men on PS2, glad I waited...

I had NBA 2K5 and MLB 2K5 on PS2, it wouldn't kill my wallet to get MLB again, but I may just go with MVP, I've decided that MLB isn't as great as it could have been...

how are the wrestling games on X-Box? I'm not a huge fan of the Smackdown series...by the way, I thought the Wrestlemania titled games were on Gamecube? No?

I've beaten all 3 PS2 GTA's and as mind numbing as it was to go through Vice City and San Andreas, I have no desire to play any of those games again...

I was kinda curious about the Star Wars Lego game, I may have to at least rent that one...

Ninja Gaiden, is it true you can unlike the original Nintendo games? if so, I'm there, that was my favorite NES series, hands down...

I'm not huge on FPS games, but I may at least rent Republic Commando...

thanks for the help guys...

Guest SpiderFan

Doom III: Collecters Edition is a good buy. You get Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Doom III all w/ co-op play.

Both Halo's, obviously.

All are fun. Even if you aren't big on FPS, they're at least worth a rental.

Ninja Gaiden, is it true you can unlike the original Nintendo games? if so, I'm there, that was my favorite NES series, hands down...

Yes, you can unlock the originals.

MVP's by far the best baseball game, but it's twice the price of MLB. MLB's only worth shit for online as far as I'm concerned, though. I should've excluded that when I mentioned the ESPN games.

Halo 1 and 2 are fantastic, but not everyone likes the 1 player mode and you're not big on FPS's, so I don't know. Then again, I'm a FPS newbie myself (only owned GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and the Halos). If you get Live, however, Halo 2 is a must buy.

I am 99% sure that the NES Gaidens are unlockable on the Xbox game.

The Xbox WWE games, Raw and Raw 2, sucked hard. However, WrestleMania 21 (developed by completely different people than the GC games) has gotten great praise (just ask Spree), it looks amazing, and although this doesn't affect you now, you can wrestle matches and defend belts online. Go to gamingRing.com for videos and all the info you could ever desire.

If you want a wrestling game just wait until Wrestlemania 21 is out in another two weeks. Raw 2 wasn't all that bad as some people make it sound, it can be fun, say when you are doing multi-player through the season mode but the main problems was the fact its slow and A.I. sucks.

Ninja Gaiden is a must buy game. The game can get really frustrating but its worth it, there really isn't a game that can frustrate someone so much.

Star Wars Republic Commando is a cool game, a little differant than other Star Wars games but the change is done well.

Lego Star Wars is a cool game, it actually surprised me on how fun it is.

Splinter Cell, any of them, are good if you like slow paced games that you actually have to take your time with, Thief as well is a good one.

Halo and Halo 2 as well.

Guest Vitamin X

All the recommendations made in this thread have been great, I'll throw in Project Gotham Racing 2, Morrowind: GOTY edition, and Crimson Skies as additional recommendations.

Basically, Xbox has a much smaller library, but a higher good game to crap ratio than PS2. I only envy PS2ers for their better selection of RPGs and for an occasional game that interests me, but yeah anything that comes out multiplatform is always better on Xbox.

And even though you don't have it now, you should invest in getting Live in the future, it'll make playing your Xbox like 10x better.

If you can find it, I suggest the Jet Set Radio Future/Sega GT double pack. JSRF is a freaking amazing game. Got it the other day and played it like crazy, and the cel-shading, as well as the overall environments, and the many characters make for an awesome game.

And it was only 3.99. And Sega GT, 2002 of all things, beats pretty much most of the newer racing games I've played, like..SRS, and the Gran Turismo games. (never really liked them, haven't played the newest one though)

Guest Vitamin X
yeah, Live will happen one of these days, I'm sure...i was contemplating Morrowmind...it LOOKED good, but I've been burned by that before...

Yeah it takes a bit to get into as well, but once you do, you're hooked. It's very open-ended too.

If you can find it, I suggest the Jet Set Radio Future/Sega GT double pack. JSRF is a freaking amazing game. Got it the other day and played it like crazy, and the cel-shading, as well as the overall environments, and the many characters make for an awesome game.

And it was only 3.99. And Sega GT, 2002 of all things, beats pretty much most of the newer racing games I've played, like..SRS, and the Gran Turismo games. (never really liked them, haven't played the newest one though)

They have shit-tons of those at every game store around here for $5 or less. I'd pick one up if I could find one with a case. The first Jet Grind game was pretty fun on Dreamcast.

You know a 5 dollar game I like? Brute Force. Yeah, I know alot of people weren't feeling it, but I think it is a pretty kickass game. Expecially once you have your whole crew and you are trying to get through the stage without losing a squad member.

Guest Askewniverse
XBox has all the good Star Wars games and I'm a Star Wars nerd...basically I shoulda just bought an XBox all along when I made my decision...

Battlefront is a decent Star Wars game. It's worth a rental just to shoot Ewoks. If you have the Star Wars Trilogy DVD box set, there's a playable demo on the Bonus Materials disc.

Project Gotham Racing 2 and Need for Speed: Underground 2 are both pretty damn good.

UFC: Tapout is a decent fighting game, though lots of people seem to prefer other fighters, such as the DOA series.

Guest Coffey

I'm throwing Burnout 3's name into the hat. Probably my favorite X-Box game. The Fight Night games are good too.

Guest Coffey

Burnout 3 is a lot more than "ooh, look at the pretty crashes." Have you bothered to play the game? I spent a long time trying to get gold medals in everything. The racing in the game is good too you know.

The only thing that I don't like about the game is the announcer and you can shut him off.

I forgot Tiger Woods. Sure, a new version will be out in September, but the game is fantastic and it's only $30. Actually, since you don't have Live, you might as well just go for the 2004 version which is almost as good and should be dirt cheap. I hate golf and I love those games.

And I completely forgot that the SWT box set had a Battlefront demo. I played the game once when it came out, but I hadn't seen the Star Wars movies yet, and I was drunk so I forgot most of it. I think I'll pop in that demo tonight.

Ninja Gaiden

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Chronicles of Riddick

Crimson Skies

Project Gotham 2

Halo 2

Doom 3

KOTOR and KOTOR 2

and of course...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the first one).

All of those are Xbox exclusive (well...to console anyway) and fun. Splinter Cell isn't XBox exclusive...but it damn well should be

Splinter Cell isn't XBox exclusive...but it damn well should be

I agree with that.

Might as well leave it where it's better suited.

And some of the games I was already gonna recommend have been recommended already.

Rainbow Six 3 is another decent game for this

Okay, feedback so far for my first experience with the XBox:

KOTOR is freaking addictive, I can't stop playing! I'm going the goodie goodie route my first time through...I'll go the dark path next time...

X-Men is pretty fun, I kinda like hack n' slash games like this with that RPG element going on, plus I'm a X-Men mark...

haven't played Fable yet...

I went to pick up MVP 2005 and another controller but the store I went to had MLB on sale for 13.77 so I couldn't resist picking it up again...is it just me or are the graphics better on XBox than the PS2?

will be getting Ninja Gaiden and KOTOR2 this weekend provided that used spot I got the XBox at still has them used...

Ha... You're going to end up like me, getting nearly 20 Xbox games within months of purchasing the system and still having several unopened/unplayed titles while at the same time buying more.

Then again, you won't be spending dozens upon dozens of your gaming hours on Xbox Live, so maybe not.

Also, between all the Star Wars hype for Episode III, the long running KOTOR II thread, re-watching the Trilogy DVDs (I've only watched the movies 2 or 3 times, ever) and now your post, I'm sooooo tempted to open KOTOR... But I have so many games I've started and haven't finished, including 3 or 4 other RPGs.

Decisions, decisions...

Oh shit, I almost forgot. Do you have broadband, Lushus? If so, I have a free 2 month trial for Xbox Live that I will give you. It expired on 3/31, but according to people I've talked to, I can call Microsoft, telling them I just got the game that included the trial, give them the expired code, and they'll give me a new one.

If that's the case, it's all yours. You won't be able to talk to anyone unless you buy a headset (or just get a starter kit and extend your subscription with that) but you can at least try out your Live enabled games. I know you have at least one- MLB 2K5.

My main problem with not getting XBox Live just yet is time constraints, between work and being a father/husband (the wife doesn't care much for me spending hours in the basement), it's hard for me to even have a chance to play all that much...if that ever changes I will certainly take you up on the offer, thanks Matt...

oh and KOTOR honestly doesn't even feel very Star Wars-ish, probably because of the point in the timeline it falls under...but it still kicks a ton of ass!

All right... If you ever do want the trial code, just let me know. Then again, by that time, you may have already purchased another game with a trial code. They've got a batch of newer codes in recently released games such as Doom 3.

Guest Vitamin X

After playing the first KOTOR, you'll be disappointed with Fable and KOTOR II. Not because they're bad games mind you (although Fable was waaay too short and KOTOR II was too buggy/glitchy-and that's coming from someone who normally doesn't complain about that), but because the first KOTOR was sooo impeccably done from the storyline to the gameplay and everything. Knowing how much I enjoyed that has prompted me to pre-order (and still not pick up funny enough, because of money issues) Jade Empire which came out a WHILE ago now.