TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs

I didn't say that Camby's shot was the best I've ever seen, but when Bruce Bowen is sticking Earl, he should rethink his options.

Man, David Stern ain't taking shit from no one

DALLAS (AP) -- The NBA fined Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy $100,000 -- the largest amount ever for a coach -- on Monday, a day after he accused officials of targeting center Yao Ming this postseason and said Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is to blame.

While Van Gundy laughed off the penalty and Yao offered to pick up half the tab, the matter jumped to another, far more serious level. Commissioner David Stern called the fine "an intermediary step," adding that an investigation will continue once the Rockets finish their playoff run.

He said further punishment is possible, even implying that Van Gundy could face a lifetime ban.

"If he's going to say things like that, he's not going to continue in this league," Stern said. "If the attitude reflected in those comments continues to be public, he's going to have a big problem with me as long as I'm commissioner."

After the Rockets' 103-100 loss to the Mavericks in Game 5 Monday night, Van Gundy called Stern's statement "interesting." But the coach stood by what he had said.

"I didn't see anything wrong with what I said," Van Gundy explained. "But certainly, obviously, for a statement like that to come out, he obviously differs. ... That's all right."

Stern said the league is both furious at what Van Gundy said and that he refuses to divulge the official he claims told him that referees "were looking at Yao harder because of Mark's complaints" to the league office.

"This is the first case I can remember when an allegation has been made and the perpetrator hasn't cooperated," Stern said. "At this time of year, there usually is a craziness in the land that has to do with referees as coaches jockey for position. This one, in our view, set a new low for that. That's why the fine is what it was and that's why the investigation is continuing."

Van Gundy got himself into trouble by telling three reporters at the team hotel in Dallas on Sunday night that a referee not working the playoffs called him after the Rockets went up 2-0 and warned that Yao was mentioned in an online evaluation from supervisor of officials Ronnie Nunn.

Van Gundy added that because Cuban "has been hard on" the league and officials, "he's gotten the benefit."

"I didn't think that really worked in the NBA, but in this case it has," Van Gundy said.

He stood by his complaints Monday and said he's made many of them privately to the league all season.

"I said what I said. I believe what I believe and I've seen what I've seen. They've got to do what they think is right," Van Gundy said. "I would watch all of (Yao's) 20 fouls with anyone. And I would have no problems making my case that he's not refereed appropriately. I stand by that."

For the most part, though, Van Gundy cracked jokes about the fallout, saying things like his wife might make him sleep on the porch. He also laughed about the fine coming from league vice president Stu Jackson, who in 1989 was coach of the Knicks and hired Van Gundy as an assistant.

"Stu brought me into the NBA so he giveth, and now he taketh away," Van Gundy said.

He teased the team's PR director, who was standing next to him, for allowing him to speak to reporters on a travel day -- "Gee, no more non-mandatory media days for me," he said -- and especially got a kick out of his fine being "double worst" the previous largest, a $50,000 hit on Pat Riley in 2003 and Phil Jackson in 2004.

"If that's the worst thing that's happened in the NBA from a coaching perspective, so be it," he said.

As for protecting his source, Van Gundy practically rolled his eyes at his refusal to give up his friend during his conversation with league security.

"I felt like I was in Watergate or something," he said.

When told about reporters who are facing 18 months in jail for protecting sources, Van Gundy laughed and said, "My guy would have to be on his own. I'd cut him loose."

Van Gundy clarified that his complaints aren't with the officials, but with the way officials are asked to call games _ such as having certain points of emphasis.

"Believe me, I've been blessed to make enough money that if this goes to good causes, that's a good thing," said Van Gundy, in the second year of an $18 million, four-year contract.

However, he may not have to pay the whole thing. Yao offered to split the fee because "coach was talking about me."

"I feel I need to do it that way," Yao said.

Cuban, who has been fined more than $1 million since buying the team five years ago, found little irony in someone getting fined for comments involving him and his pet target, the way officials do their job.

"It's nice to see someone else buying the coffee and danish for the NBA," he said.

When first learning about Van Gundy's comments, Cuban said in an e-mail that the accusations were "crazy" and "an insult to officials." He also noted that Dallas center Erick Dampier has picked up quick fouls in every game in this series.

"They don't officiate individual players differently," Cuban wrote.

Cuban said the Mavs sent the league a list of plays they thought could've been called moving screens on Yao and backup Dikembe Mutombo. He said the league responded that "nine were actually moving screens and should have been called but were not."

"So if anything, he has it completely backward," Cuban said.

Yao fouled out of Game 1 in 20 minutes. He had four fouls in Game 2, when he made 13 of 14 shots and scored 33 points, then had five fouls in each of the last two games.

Dampier fouled out of Game 4 in 18 minutes. He had five fouls in 19 minutes of Game 3

Van Gundy gonna snitch and people will get fired. He probably should've just left it alone.

Oh and the NBA refs are the worst. The phantom foul call at the end of Dallas vs. Rockets game was atrocious.

I like this quote from Cuban:

"They don't officiate individual players differently" Cuban wrote.

Utter bullshit.

Cuban thinks they officiate teams differently. I think both are correct.

Because it was funny watching Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson getting called for offensive fouls in the post on Sunday and Shaq not getting called for the same thing.

In the same instance, I think that you hit a guy like Iverson with the same force you hit Shaq, one is a foul the other isn't called.

I have no problems with refs missing calls and such, as they are human, but I do have a problem with obvious bias. That is what i think that Jeff is having a problem with.

But 100,000 is ridiculous.

I like this quote from Cuban:

"They don't officiate individual players differently" Cuban wrote.

Utter bullshit.

Cuban thinks they officiate teams differently. I think both are correct.

Because it was funny watching Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson getting called for offensive fouls in the post on Sunday and Shaq not getting called for the same thing.

In the same instance, I think that you hit a guy like Iverson with the same force you hit Shaq, one is a foul the other isn't called.

I have no problems with refs missing calls and such, as they are human, but I do have a problem with obvious bias. That is what i think that Jeff is having a problem with.

But 100,000 is ridiculous.

See I've always said that Shaq's move where he puts his shoulder into a guy, knocks them 5 feet away and dunks uncontested is, and should be an offensive foul. I don't know the exact wording, but I'm pretty sure the rule is that you can not go through a player who has an established position. Which is exactly what Shaq does. My brother has always argued that because Shaq is so strong it shouldn't be a foul. So does that mean that Rasheed Wallace could just shove Iverson out of his way every time he goes to the basket?

Shaqs main move is when he turns, he hits the defender with the back of his bicep or elbow to clear them out the way. Its the equivilant of holding a guy off with one hand and shooting with another. He did it 8 times in a row on Sunday, and Hubie Brown was showing it in super slowmo explaining why it should have been a easy call.

Bullshit. Shaq uses a drop step which is very similar to the drop step used by almost every post player in the league. It's just that since Shaq's bigger and stronger than any other post player in the league, his drop step can move someone three times as far as an average person would.

Sure, he occasionally clocks someone with the elbow accidentally, and sometimes the refs miss the call, but the only difference between Shaq and any other post player in the league is that he has more force behind his moves because he's bigger and stronger.

Bullshit. Shaq uses a drop step which is very similar to the drop step used by almost every post player in the league. It's just that since Shaq's bigger and stronger than any other post player in the league, his drop step can move someone three times as far as an average person would.

Sure, he occasionally clocks someone with the elbow accidentally, and sometimes the refs miss the call, but the only difference between Shaq and any other post player in the league is that he has more force behind his moves because he's bigger and stronger.

I would think the SUPER SLOW MOTION replays would have stopped this line of thinking or Shaq, I don't know, SAYING that he was committing offensive fouls on Dikembe Mutumbo after the finals against he Sixers would make people finally say "hey...maybe Shaq is commiting offensive fouls on his moves to the basket".

There is a HUGE difference between a drop step and a offensive foul, and Shaq knows HOW to do a drop step and he uses it against better defenders, but when he is playing guys that don't know how to play d on him, he will just bull through them because it is easier. Shaq clearing his way with the elbow is a technique that works well, and he is doing it on purpose, but it is still illegal.

Guest Redhawk

Good news for Bulls fans, I guess...

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Wizards suspended forward Kwame Brown on Tuesday for the remainder of the playoffs.

The announcement came after Brown, coach Eddie Jordan and president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld met for about 10 minutes before the team's practice.

"We had some philosophical differences," Grunfeld said, "and we're putting those behind us and focusing on the job at hand."

Brown won't travel with the team or participate in any practices for the remainder of the season. The Wizards are tied with the Chicago Bulls 2-2 in their Eastern Conference first-round series. Game 5 is Wednesday in Chicago.

"We're not going to get into specifics. We're going to do things a certain way. These players are committed to that," said Grunfeld, referring to the remaining players on the roster. "And those are the type of players we want around us."

Brown played only four minutes in the Game 3 victory Saturday, then didn't attend practice Sunday and Game 4 Monday. The team had said he was absent because of a stomach virus.

Asked whether Brown was sick, Grunfeld said: "He talked to our trainer and he told him he had a stomach flu."

Asked whether Brown was upset over a lack of playing time, Grunfeld said: "Everybody likes to play as much as they can. That's typical for the NBA."

The team's action throws into doubt Brown's future with the team. He turned down a multiyear contract extension last fall, which means he will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Grunfeld had previously said he would like to keep Brown. On Tuesday, he was more ambiguous.

"He's still part of our organization," Grunfeld said. "We'll deal with that in the offseason. He's going to be a restricted free agent in the summer, and we'll deal with that at the appropriate time."

A message left for Brown's agent was not immediately returned.

Brown has been a major disappointment for the Wizards since becoming the first high school player chosen No. 1 overall in the NBA draft in 2001. After a miserable two years dealing with the demanding Michael Jordan, Brown showed glimpses of his potential last season when he followed a 30-point, 19-rebound game against Sacramento with a 27 and 11 performance against Atlanta, but he often languished in single digits.

He averaged 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds for the season, just enough improvement for the Wizards to hope that his long awaited breakout was on the horizon.

But Brown broke a bone in his right foot during a pickup game last summer and started the season on the injured list. He played in just 42 games, starting 14, and was essentially a big-body role player off the bench. He averaged 7.0 points and 4.9 rebounds and was frequently booed at home.

Brown's numbers were much better on the road, a result, he claimed, of the treatment he received from the Wizards' fans. Gilbert Arenas even appealed to fans not to boo Brown before the Wizards' first home playoff game Saturday. The fans responded by cheering Brown graciously when he entered the game for his four minutes of play.

Guest Vitamin X

I think the bad news is knowing that the Wizards-Bulls series is squared up at 2 in a 7-game series and the winner goes on to face the Heat. I thought if one team or the other can stop it from going beyond 5 games that they'd have a chance especially if New Jersey actually put up a fight, which they did in their Game 2 against the Heat, but ended up getting swept anyways. Bulls and Wizards have just been beating the hell out of each other. Same for whoever has to go and face the Suns in the West.

While JVG might have a case about the refs, as a Rockets fan, I'm disappointed that he's made such a big deal about it. That just sends the message to the team that they're playing well enough to win (which they're obviously not) but are just getting screwed by the refs. He should be more angry with the lack of rebounding or careless turnovers.

Guest Redhawk

Padding his stats? When did you see Okafor missing shots on purpose just to get more rebounds? When did you see him calling timeouts with 13 seconds left in a 20-point blowout just to get one more shot off. THAT is padding stats. Playing the game and accumulating numbers is not.

What the hell was that? James Jones knocks the ball loose, then just stands there and lets Tinsley take a jump ball with Ricky Davis.

uh oh, Iverson jsut went down... he came down on Lindsey Hunter's foot.

EDIT: looks like he's ok. n/m

and on the very next play, he charges in right up to ben wallace. truly the man is fearless.