TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kkktookmybabyaway

We got Pope smoke...

Well, I have to admit that most of the Protestant Christians I've come to know have been of the Evangelical type, so they are what comprise the "Religious Right" for the most part. Represented by guys like Pat Robertson and James Dobson, it's hard to come off as more open-minded than Catholics.

Well, that's why when you hear "Southern Baptist," you run away. Fast.

I would like to say that many protestant chuches are quite liberal, like my own.

Here's our website

Read the previous weeks sermon. I'd post it, but it's a little long, (almost a page).

It's a pretty progressive chuch, and that's because it's RIGHT ;)

Living God people, not dead and gone. Don't put a period where God put a comma.

As for which denominations favor more interpretation and accept homosexuality, I'd say pretty much the vast majority of mainline Protestant churches. It's hard to gauge, because a lot of these churches are individual entities and not involved in a worldwide hierarchy like the Roman Catholic Church.

And "mainline" or "oldline" Protestantism is dying. Fast.

Evangelicalism is growing steadily and the Southern Baptists are the single largest Protestant denomination in the US. Pentecostalism is also growing quite rapidly.

Also I don't understand why the Single Priest thing is what makes Catholics crazy. They are called to serve the Church "like a bride". I don't agree with it, but it's not like it makes them horribly traditional or something.

The whole "like a bride" idea is a metaphor taken to literally.

As for which denominations favor more interpretation and accept homosexuality, I'd say pretty much the vast majority of mainline Protestant churches. It's hard to gauge, because a lot of these churches are individual entities and not involved in a worldwide hierarchy like the Roman Catholic Church.

Evangelicalism is growing steadily and the Southern Baptists are the single largest Protestant denomination in the US. Pentecostalism is also growing quite rapidly.

How the hell is Pentecostalism growing? I thought that was an 80s fad not unlike Lycra and Duran Duran.

Or "Hypercolor" shirts. When I was little I had one that went from mustard yellow to neon pink. I had it for like five years and it never stopped working. Those things rocked.

How the hell is Pentecostalism growing? I thought that was an 80s fad not unlike Lycra and Duran Duran.

It's the fastest growing segment of Christianity worldwide.

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/034957.htm

I'm not sure if it's growing quite as rapidly in the US, though.

Duran Duran will never die, my friend.

If you strike them down, they will return stronger than ever.

Pentacostals uses the most hardcore scare tactics to win converts I've ever seen.

At a church I went to in my misspent youth, they'd do a Christmas play every year. In the play, the Anti-Christ had already taken over the Earth, and on the eve of Jesus returning for the Battle of Armageddon, a lone Christian family (who weren't saved until after the rapture) evades the Anti-Christ's army and recollects how the Earth had fallen under his rule (including an assasination on the Anti-Christ, and his subsequent resurrection at the hands of the False Prophet). At the end of the play, several members of the family are captured by soldiers, but still refuse to take the Mark of the Beast. Jesus returns in the nick of time to save the family right as the soldiers are about to execute them point blank. They still do this production every Christmas season, complete with actors in soldier costumes with guns, guardtowers, search lights, and "Hell" set.

http://www.tribulationchristmas.com/

My favorite part was always when the soldiers would run around the auditorium at the very beginning yelling and pointing guns at audience members.