TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

TNA on WGN?

Credit: Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter

Multiple TNA sources say the company is on the verge of announcing a new TV deal in the United States. The announcement could come within the next week or two, but they are bound by a confidentiality agreeing at this point and can't detail what it is to anyone yet. The best guess at this point, since Spike TV has said they don't have interest in TNA, is that TNA struck a deal with WGN, which as noted here previously was the fallback plan if Spike TV didn't work out. WGN was once a Superstation much like TBS, but it's ratings are just a blip on the cable map at this point and they've done nothing to create a niche image for themselves or invest in quality first-run original programming. They're basically back in the '80s still when it comes to their schedule, airing Chicago sports, syndicated reruns, and local Chicago news programs. TNA could get a good deal with airtime on WGN, so it's possible they've negotiated to get a Monday night primetime slot in the hour preceding Raw, if not two hours with a one-hour overlap.

Jeff Jarrett has talked about that dating back more than two years as TNA's eventual goal, since he remembers fondly the adrenaline of being in the middle of the Monday Night War era on both sides - WWF and later WCW. His argument is that wrestling fans look at Monday night at Wresting Night, and if they were to be the same night as Raw, it would give them instant credibility as a serious up-and-coming competitor to WWE. With TNA's lease at Universal Studios expiring in June, and with WWE's new agreement with NBC Universal, there has been speculation that TNA will be moving its tapings elsewhere. If they could save on the weekly fee they pay Fox Sports Net for their off-prime-time slots, they might be able to invest in more frequent tapings (although probably not anything live due to the satellite expense) and also meet payroll on a timely basis.

Guest MikeSC

Umm, JJ would be wise to avoid a Monday night time slot on a station nobody watches to begin with.

Then again, he'd have a ready explanation for shitty ratings...

-=Mike

Umm, JJ would be wise to avoid a Monday night time slot on a station nobody watches to begin with.

Then again, he'd have a ready explanation for shitty ratings...

-=Mike

WGN is available in over 65 million homes (which is more than TNT had when Nitro started or TNN had when they picked up ECW). 75% of those homes have WGN on channel 1-24, so the station is easy to find. It's a real sleeping giant of a network, and the Cubs still do great ratings for them.

If they're getting a primetime slot (or even a good slot as opposed to the afternoon crap), it'd be a great move. Not to mention Chicago is the natural place to center a promotion to compete with WWE.

There are also some very strong crossover opportunities with the Tribune newspapers (LA Times, Chicago Tribune and dozens of others) and the Tribune also owns TV stations all over the country (and part of the WB network). They're the fourth-largest media company in the US and produce quite a few TV shows as well.

The other thing is since WGN has little original programming, they run ads like crazy for what original programming they have. I saw a lot for some "Extreme Paintball" show that's starting in the *Fall* that airs on Saturday Mornings. They'll have a lot more support than they did at FSN.

I think the 8-10 EST slot on Mondays is open when they currently show movies and it would have minimal interference with sports.

Guest MikeSC

Nobody is questioning WGN's audience penetration or the like.

What I'm saying is that almost nobody watches them and TNA hasn't really changed that for FSN. It'd be silly to expect that to be different with WGN.

It seems, to me, that JJ is shooting for excuses should the ratings be as bad as they have been on FSN.

-=Mike

I think it could be a good move. WWF had a show on WGN Saturday mornings in the mid '90s (I think it was called "Blast Off"), and that did horribly, but I think that is because WGN didn't advertise it at all (besides the fact that it was a crappy recap show, which WWF already had two or three of by that point). If WGN promotes it a lot, and TNA can get the word out, I think the show could end up doing well.

As far as being on Monday night...what does TNA really have to lose at this point? Their ratings probably can't get much lower than what they currently get on FSN. I think it could create some genuine interest and excitement, being on the same night as RAW. If anything, it might be nice to have an option to switch to during boring interview segments and crappy matches from WWE's show.

I'm not even a big TNA fan at all (I can't stand Jeff Jarrett), but anything to create some extra competition for WWE at this point is a great thing, IMO.

As everyone knows, the success of WCW Nitro on TNT helped TNT promote awful series after the show, including "Robin Hood" and "Mortal Kombat: the Series" (I loved the ending, tho).

What awful new series will pop up after TNA on WGN?

Valley Girls With Badges?

maybe old episodes of Friday the 13th: The Series

I remember when Robin Hood debuted, and the main event of that Nitro right before it was Hogan v Giant, and, in an attempt to keep wrestling fans watching, and so give RH a ratings boost, they aired clips of Hogan v Giant between the first few commercial breaks of RH. The funny thing was that even though Hogan v Giant had long since ended, they presented the clips as if they were live, and that the match had been going on since Nitro went off the air.

Two things are key here.

1.) Is WGN going to have a uniform time slot for TNA - would be an improvement over the current FSN slot where some markets (D.C., for example) air Impact at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning.

2.) Will TNA have to pay WGN for the slot, as they're doing now with FSN.

If TNA can get a solid, uniform timeslot it would help their exposure. And if they no longer have to pay funds for the slot, that'll help their financial bottom line.

This is minor good news, if true. Not going to make them a threat to the WWE at ALL, but it will help the company.

I have one question:

Are they paying or getting money for airing?

Cause if they are still paying, this is a moot point.

Nobody is questioning WGN's audience penetration or the like.

What I'm saying is that almost nobody watches them and TNA hasn't really changed that for FSN. It'd be silly to expect that to be different with WGN.

It seems, to me, that JJ is shooting for excuses should the ratings be as bad as they have been on FSN.

-=Mike

There's a bit of wisdom in the cable television business that states that most viewers can only keep in mind about ten or so channels at most (including broadcast channels) when deciding what to watch on television. It seems very doubtful that the young adult male viewers needed by TNA would have WGN in mind.

There are only 2 conditions were a WGN deal could be considered a step one: 1) If they are no longer paying to be aired 2) If they are getting a primetime or 2 hour slot. Otherwise, I'd say they'd be better off where they are. I wonder if Impact will move to WGN or if they will continue Impact and debut a new program, which was the rumored plan when Spike TV was being talked about.

Guest Joe_G

Well, I don't get WGN in my neck of the woods (central Massachusetts with Charter Cable), so that ain't good. Not that I watched TNA anyway, but it's nice have the option.

This could be a lateral move if large markets don't get WGN. TNA will increase revenue by being paid to be on TV, but they could lose out big time if PPV buys go down significantly.

Guest jlvideo

I think it would a great deal for TNA. I'd put their show on WGN on saturdays or sunday. Finding the right time slot can be tough. I hope it gets them more exposure and helps attract more interest. I believe WGN is pretty much everywhere on cable and satellite. Unless it gets bumped of a cubs/white sox games.

Guest MikeSC
Two things are key here.

1.) Is WGN going to have a uniform time slot for TNA - would be an improvement over the current FSN slot where some markets (D.C., for example) air Impact at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning.

2.) Will TNA have to pay WGN for the slot, as they're doing now with FSN.

If TNA can get a solid, uniform timeslot it would help their exposure. And if they no longer have to pay funds for the slot, that'll help their financial bottom line.

This is minor good news, if true. Not going to make them a threat to the WWE at ALL, but it will help the company.

I'll say this:

If they AREN'T paying, then WGN is run by idiots.

Honestly, their FSN ratings are pretty miserable.

-=Mike

Two things are key here.

1.)  Is WGN going to have a uniform time slot for TNA - would be an improvement over the current FSN slot where some markets (D.C., for example) air Impact at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning.

2.)  Will TNA have to pay WGN for the slot, as they're doing now with FSN.

If TNA can get a solid, uniform timeslot it would help their exposure.  And if they no longer have to pay funds for the slot, that'll help their financial bottom line.

This is minor good news, if true.  Not going to make them a threat to the WWE at ALL, but it will help the company.

I'll say this:

If they AREN'T paying, then WGN is run by idiots.

Honestly, their FSN ratings are pretty miserable.

-=Mike

They are?

I thought their FSN ratings were great considering the timeslot and what other shows on the network get.

Guest MikeSC

Anything in the 0.3 range is, by definition, terrible.

-=Mike

...Especially since pro wrestling can't draw advertisers for squat...

well everything on FSN is under 0.3...i think the average is like 0.15

So considering the average ratings on FSN. TNA is doing good.

Compared to RAW yes it's horrible. But thats a ridiculous comparison.

It would be stupid to run against WWE at this point. I really like TNA, but even I wouldn't watch one of their shows over Raw.

If they could manage to get on Monday nights before Raw, however, that'd be wonderful.

Suck x 3 is still Suck x 3. It doesn't make it any less sucky because there is more of it to go around.

so your saying that TNA should be pulling amazing ratings even though they are on a crappy network. doesn't make sense.

I understand that they should be getting better ratings than most of the shows, but saying they are getting horrible ratings is wrong if you take into account the network average.

Suck x 3 is still Suck x 3. It doesn't make it any less sucky because there is more of it to go around.

so your saying that TNA should be pulling amazing ratings even though they are on a crappy network. doesn't make sense.

I understand that they should be getting better ratings than most of the shows, but saying they are getting horrible ratings is wrong if you take into account the network average.

That would make no sense if that was what I saying. Quite how you managed to interpret what I said that way, I don't know.

Getting good ratings on FSN is akin to being the finest ice hockey player in all of Ecuador. It look good on the surface, but take any real look and you see that it's really not that big of a deal.

haha you're right.

I must have just miss-interpretted your post.

No doubt, it's good ratings for FSN, but in the big picture it doesn't mean shit.

The NWA could certainly draw better ratings with a decent time on WGN. The station does shit ratings mainly because aside from the Cubs they don't have much. A wrestling show could change that. I dunno about going for the Monday night slot though, but it might be an interesting slot for those fed up with HHH.

I consider it move up...if they don't have to pay.

WGN is a better network though.

I consider it move up...if they don't have to pay.

WGN is a better network though.

I'd consider any deal where they didn't have to pay a step up, even if it was a renegiotated deal for the same slot.

Ya i guess i should have re=phrased that. Any deal on WGW is better than FSN. even if they have to pay.

And any deal where they don't have to pay is also huge.