TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

TNA on WGN?

An outdoor show would give me flash backs of WCW.

They'd better have a pool outside if they do it. Cuz someone is gonna go in the drink!

Yeah it would be mighty ironic if the last show of WWE's competition in the Monday Night Wars was outdoors and it begins again the same way....but yeah it probably wont happen.

As someone who lives 4 miles away from MSG and can't watch TNA if they go to WGN I fail to see how this deal is great for them. I would assume that you'd actually want coverage in New York City on basic cable which FSN actually provided. If they don't end up on Spike TV in October, then they've basically shut themselves out of (one of) the biggest TV market(s) in the entire country.

As someone who lives 4 miles away from MSG and can't watch TNA if they go to WGN I fail to see how this deal is great for them. I would assume that you'd actually want coverage in New York City on basic cable which FSN actually provided. If they don't end up on Spike TV in October, then they've basically shut themselves out of (one of) the biggest TV market(s) in the entire country.

Probably because the world doesn't revolve around New York City.

Reaching 70% of the country in a constant, great timeslot on a channel that isn't preempted on a channel people watch is better than reaching 90% in a changing terrible timeslot that's frequently preempted and on a channel people don't watch.

Reaching 70% of the country in a constant, great timeslot on a channel that isn't preempted on a channel people watch is better than reaching 90% in a changing terrible timeslot that's frequently preempted and on a channel people don't watch.

That would be true if you know, they weren't going head to head with the competition for half of the show. TNA's total viewers in NYC will be roughly 0%, because unless you have a dish, you won't get the show. It would be one thing to give up some small city like Milwaukee, it's kind of foolish to give up NYC. Hasn't it been proven that anywhere from 0.3-0.5 of SD's usual 3.0-3.2ish is strictly from NY when it's been pre-empted for baseball or football? I don't know, but it seems kind of silly to give up at least 10% of my audience for any reason.

That would be true if you know, they weren't going head to head with the competition for half of the show. TNA's total viewers in NYC will be roughly 0%, because unless you have a dish, you won't get the show. It would be one thing to give up some small city like Milwaukee, it's kind of foolish to give up NYC. Hasn't it been proven that anywhere from 0.3-0.5 of SD's usual 3.0-3.2ish is strictly from NY when it's been pre-empted for baseball or football? I don't know, but it seems kind of silly to give up at least 10% of my audience for any reason.

That's easily offset by the fact there are a ton more people watching TV at 8 pm than 4 pm, midnight on a Thursday, or Saturdays at 1 am.

Furthermore, we don't know the exact details of the deal yet. It could include syndication by WGN-owned WPIX in NYC in another timeslot.

1.4 rating at 8:00-10:00 PM > .3 rating at 3:00 PM and paying for your timeslot.

Simple as that.

While you may have some valid points, comparing a cut of ratings that the WWE loses from their programming to TNA's possible in that area is an unvalid comparison. NYC is one of WWE's best markets and TNA, even if they were on the same channel pentration and time as WWE, would still not even have that much of a significant fanbase in that area in the first place. Does that make sense?

I think something that needs to be addressed is that dish companies actually have really good penetration in most areas, so being on both DirecTV and Dish Network and at a good time is certainly an advantage.

*poops pants* *again*

They better get rid of the 6 sided ring if they want to be taken seriously.

TNA has done too many things that were similar to Vince's decisions (D.O.A Poll back at Victory Road, JJJ holding the belt in a period longer than 9 months, Abyss's character), and TNA's supposed to be CONTRASTED from the WWE, right??

I say the ring stays!

It's also why AJ Styles should have a relatively long reign as NWA Champion. For all the talk knocking Styles for being short and not that good on promo's, people who want big guys and lots of talking already have WWE for that. TNA needs to focus on their strengths, which is talented workers who are allowed to go all out.

The 6-sided ring rules! It doesn't hinder a match or anything and it separates the two companies. It's not "traditional", but it deosn't mean people are gonna laugh. I think people will tune in thinking it's interesting instead of completely bashing it.

Guest bushwickray

I live in NYC and I have DirecTV so that means I get WGN and al th regional sports network which means I get TNA and WEW and Puerto Rico wrestling.

That being said I still won't watch those crappy shows. TNA has a long way to go before i go out of my way to watch them. I ordered every single PPV the first year and when I realized that a company that was asking me to pay them every week so they could stay on the air didn't give a fuck what I or the other fans though and would do whatever they wanted I jumped ship. However if ROH or CZW got a show on Sunshine or WGN that's a duiffrent story.

i agree, i would like to see TNA's ring the size of AAA's 8 sided ring which if i remember correctly is huge.

Anybody got a pic of that please?

Tuesday's Impact tapings have been canceled. The next taping will follow the Slammiversary PPV

Source: http://www.tnawrestling.com

Guess thats it then. They are starting on WGN the Monday after Slam.

This could effect Slam negatively, due to no TV. Could push the company though to put on a kick ass event, despite the setbacks, as a good basis for WGN.

Its the ideal time to switch IMHO. 1st line should be 'We welcome you to a new year for TNA and the season premiere, on the new home of iMPACT, WGN'. This after the opening promo of the best bits of the last 3 years.

TNA really need to do recaps though on their website, play iMPACT instead of Xplosion and start pimping the new deal. Although, that post of their website takes you no where, so maybe they are typing up them up.

Guest netslob

i don't get it...why do they HAVE to be on Monday nights opposite RAW? don't they remember the last show that opposed RAW? where is it now? are they deliberately trying to kill their own company?

what's wrong with being the number 2 promotion in the U.S., if only just for now? they don't have neither the resources nor the fanbase to compete with Vince right now, it's that simple. i hope i'm wrong, but they're shooting themselves in the foot with this. why not another weeknight, Tuesday or Wednesday? going against RAW is friggin suicide. they will be crushed in that second hour.

Guest Desperate Housewife
what's wrong with being the number 2 promotion in the U.S., if only just for now? they don't have neither the resources nor the fanbase to compete with Vince right now,

It all goes back to Jarrett's ego and being refused a program with Austin. He's so pissed at Vince, he's blinded to everything else

what's wrong with being the number 2 promotion in the U.S., if only just for now?  they don't have neither the resources nor the fanbase to compete with Vince right now,

It all goes back to Jarrett's ego and being refused a program with Austin. He's so pissed at Vince, he's blinded to everything else

His major beef was with JR. Vince was for the program with Austin.

Austin was against it, and JR raised the biggest fuss about it.

he may be pissed at Vince for other reasons, but not this one.

Vince as a generalisation. Jarrett is still in this "I coulda been in HHH's spot" mode

what's wrong with being the number 2 promotion in the U.S., if only just for now?  they don't have neither the resources nor the fanbase to compete with Vince right now,

His major beef was with JR. Vince was for the program with Austin.

Austin was against it, and JR raised the biggest fuss about it.

he may be pissed at Vince for other reasons, but not this one.

I trust JR as a good judge of talent, and at that time in the WWF, Vince seemed to be listening to him. Just putting that out there.

Besides, Vince H-A-T-E-S Jeff Jarrett. Don't you remember when he mentioned him on RAW right after he bought WCW?

I'm not Jeff's shrink, but he does seem to have some issues with being accepted as a full-fledged main-eventing big-time superstar.

Stupidstar.

Actually, frankly, ever since he said that, I've never look at the guy in the same light

No doubt Jeff hates Vince for firing him on National TV. which i thought was funny

And at the time JR was a big influence backstage, i assume he still is.

The night after Jeff won the WCW, he ranted about JR on Nitro. I'm not sure if he mentioned Vince too or not.

Actually, frankly, ever since he said that, I've never look at the guy in the same light

Said what? Please don't tell he said the he should be in Triple H's spot.

According to Meltzer just now on LAW, it isn't a done deal, and the points of contention that are holding it up aren't small ones. He also said TNA is internally expecting the deal to come through, and that it could be announced as soon as Tuesday, but it isn't a certainty by any means.

"Cos everybody knows, I'm the stupidstar around here!!!!!!"

I think it was Mayhem or Starrcade in 2000, and Jarrett used that exact quote in his prematch rant against Bagwell. It was the most idiotic comment I've ever heard, made funnier by Stevie Ray on commentary fixating on it for the match.

Ever since then, everytime I see Jarrett, I think of that.

i don't get it...why do they HAVE to be on Monday nights opposite RAW?

I believe the thinking is that "Monday is Wrestling" as far as the core audience is concerned so they want to air then.

"Cos everybody knows, I'm the stupidstar around here!!!!!!"

Oh, you meant that...psh nevermind.

This would be my show.

120 mins - 25 for commercials. - 5 Commercials

8:00-8:15 - The Naturals d. AMW to retain the Tag Team Titles @ 15 mins. Team Canada comes out after the match... CANADIAN DESTROYER to Chase Stevens!!

8:15-8:20 - Commercial #1

8:20-8:25 - AJ Styles hype video, showing why he is the world champion and why he's the best. Showing clips from the King of the Mountain. 5 mins.

8:25-8:32 - World Title Match Promo Announced by Dusty, with AJ Styles & Raven & Jeff Jarrett - 12 mins Overall

8:32-8:35 - Lance Hoyt d. Sonjay Dutt via pinfall @ 3 minutes. Dutt gets in a few high spots, but Hoyt is ultimately the bigger, better man.

Hype Picture for World Title Match

8:35-8:40 - Commerical #2

8:40-8:46 - The Outlaw d. Konnan via pinfall @ 4 minutes after BG James interferes. Killings runs out to make the save but is beaten down by the Outlaws. (Overall - 6 mins)

8:46-8:49 - Christopher Daniels hypes the upcoming X-Division Gaunlet, as he will face the winner at the end for the X-Division Championship. 3 mins

Hype picture for World Title Match.

8:49-8:54 - Commercial #3

8:55-9:21 - 4 Man Gaunlet.

Michael Shane d. Elix Skipper via pinfall @ 8 minutes.

Michael Shane d. Shark Boy via pinfall @ 3 minutes.

Sean Waltman d. Michael Shane via pinfall @ 5 minutes.

Petey Williams d. Sean Waltman via pinfall @ 7 minutes.

- The Naturals come out, with AMW closely behind and beat up Williams for the earlier attack. A-1, Young, and Roode come out to help Petey.

Hype for World Title Match.

9:21-9:26 - Commercial #4

Hype for World Title Match.

9:26-9:40 - Christopher Daniels comes out bragging that he doesnt have to defend his title now because Williams is to hurt to continue after the tag team brawl. Enter Chris Sabin's music. Sabin says Daniels will defend his title, against Chris Sabin himself! Daniels agrees. X-Division Title!!!

Christopher Daniels d. Chris Sabin via pinfall @ 11 minutes.

9:40-9:42 - Monty Brown d. Mikey Batts via pinfall @ 1 minute. Squash. Abyss comes out and we get a staredown between the two huge men.

9:42-9:47 - WORLD TITLE MATCH IS NEXT HYPE

9:43-9:48 - Commercial Break #5

9:48-10:05 - AJ Styles d. Raven & Jeff Jarrett @ 15 minutes via Styles Clash on Raven (with pinfall) following The Raven Effect on Jarrett. Clean Finish to the end the show, even with a little overrun. If WGN doesnt like the overrun idea, crack 2 or 3 minutes off the opener, and give it to this match.

that would be my show.

My Directv Guide says Blue Jays @ Cubs next Monday night on WGN, 8-11pm

Cubs fans > Wrestling fans

I say this because I find it hard to believe they'll be able to have the Monday 8-10 pm slot every week without being pre-empted for Cubs/White Sox/Bulls games.

Maybe I'm wrong.

My Directv Guide says Blue Jays  @ Cubs  next Monday night on WGN, 8-11pm

Cubs fans > Wrestling fans

I say this because I find it hard to believe they'll be able to have the Monday 8-10 pm slot every week without being pre-empted for Cubs/White Sox/Bulls games.

Maybe I'm wrong.

July 4th and August 8th are the only two Cubs games in that timeslot after the deal begins. They could actually air a 1-hour version of TNA on the 4th since the Baseball game starts at 6 EST. There are no White Sox games in that timeslot for the rest of the season.

The Bulls weren't aired on WGN on Monday nights during the 2004-2005 season.

The preemptions for sports isn't a big problem. If the show draws some solid ratings they'll schedule the WGN telecasts of Cubs games around it next season.

There is going to be absolutely no overrun on WGN due to the news following TNA. Unless the show starts doing monster ratings I think you can throw that idea out the window.