TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

2 top 100 Video Game Lists

IGN 1st:

Ok, this list loses points for having Shining Force III and SD:HTCP being on the damn list.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is 90? Fuck that shit. More points lost.

Phantasy Star IV at 89? This game was pretty much one of the greats for RPGs for first gen and gets written off? Travesity.

Fire Emblem comes in at 51? M'kay... Wasn't expecting it to make the list at all.

Xenogears gets #40. Geezus, this list is fucking wacked. 40? Xenogears? Please, this deserved to be near 60-70.

Ninja Gaiden is 39? The Xbox released Ninja Gaiden? Ugh... 50ish at best.

Super Mario Bros. 3 comes in at 32? What, the, fuck?! This game is Top 20. Hell, I'd say this is top 10. *looks at 31* Hello, this one comes after Mario 64? Hell no. (Super Mario World didn't make the list)

...whoever reads IGN these days really made up a shitty list.

Wow... Final Fantasy VII only gets 29th? That's a shocker, would've expected it to at least make Top 10.

Metroid Prime comes in at 28th and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is 23rd? I really wanna see what makes Top 10 now. (Super Metroid didn't make the list)

Final Fantasy VI makes 20th? :huh: Wow... Was expecting lower than 20th. What the fuck made Top 10?

Ok, when GoldenEyes doesn't crack the Top 10 (13th), I think this Top 10 list will suck.

Well, well. Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past makes Top 10 at 10. Wonderful.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas comes in at #9. Meh, I guess I can live with it making Top 10.

The original Soul Calibur ranks in at 8, and I can live with that fact.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is 7? Um... Fuck no. Top 11-20 at best. Geezus...

God of War at 6? Ok, did they just take all the games from nowadays and went with what's the hotest stuff? Ugh...

Half-Life comes in at 5, and I'm laughing at how bad this Top 100 list is.

Too my shock, Chrono Trigger actually makes the list and is #4. That I can agree with.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory makes #3? Oh geezus, these readers are stupid.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time makes #2 and I wouldn't have a problem with this except...

Resident Evil 4 is #1.

There, I saved everyone the trouble of looking at the list.

IGN 2nd:

Don't look. Honestly, don't look.

Edited by Lightning Flik

I don't know many of these games, and I think it would be near impossible to do an accurate "ranking" because technology has changed so much over the years, but the second list is WORLD'S better than the first...

Agreed. Those GBA Metroid games aren't bad, but no way in hell do two of them belong in the 90's of any top 100 list.

Two Zeldas in the top 10 of the second list is a *little* controversial--but I see X-COM and blink "huh?"

The 2nd list's order is suspect, but pretty much all of those choices belong there---except Wolf 3-D shouldn't be, since it's impact was minimal until Doom and it wasn't a great game. Golden Axe sucks today, flat out.

Tobal 2 doesn't really belong on the list for obvious reasons. It sounds like import snob hype to me.

Gunstar and Bionic Commando should be higher, but being on the list is good enough.

Super Mario World is mediocre compared to SMB3, I swear. It should get SMW's spot, although I guess it's because more people probably played SMW.

However, Yoshi's Island beating SMW makes it alright. :)

1st list--WTF?!

HCTP?! Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (good game, but come on..)?! Maxx Payne 2?!?! Zelda at 80?! Starcraft at 74?!

METAL GEAR SOLID 2??!?!?!

Fuck this list, I can't read it anymore. Jak 3 making the top 50, ditto on that being messed up.

Guest CronoT

The Top 5 should be these games, in this order:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That game redefined adventure games.

2. Chrono Trigger. This is, without a doubt, possibly the greatest RPG, EVER.

3. Final Fantasy III (VI). This is the only RPG that can compete with Chrono Trigger in levels of greatness.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. To this day, many people still argue over whether this game or Zelda 64 is the best Zelda game.

5. Final Fantasy VII. This was undoubtedly the greatest RPG of it's generation.

Guest CronoT
"5. Final Fantasy VII. This was undoubtedly the greatest RPG of it's generation."

No.

"Of it's generation," meaing the best RPG on the PlayStation. You could make an arguement for Final Fantasy Tactics, but I think of that more as a battle/tactical simulation game, myself. But, is it better than FFVII? That's like the situation with Zelda 64 and Zelda: LttP. You could spend hours debating it, and get nowhere.

"5. Final Fantasy VII. This was undoubtedly the greatest RPG of it's generation."

No.

"Of it's generation," meaing the best RPG on the PlayStation. You could make an arguement for Final Fantasy Tactics, but I think of that more as a battle/tactical simulation game, myself. But, is it better than FFVII? That's like the situation with Zelda 64 and Zelda: LttP. You could spend hours debating it, and get nowhere.

Tactics is better than FFVII. Hands down. No debate.

There are RPGs better than FFVII on Playstation, like Star Ocean 2, (as much as it pains me) Xenogears (disc 1), and arguably a few other choices like Suikoden II or Dragon Warrior VII.

Best Playstation RPG at the time (like Beyond the Beyond or Shadow Madness are really tough competition), but outclassed soon after but less well-known games.

Even without that on the list, your list is still needs more variety, and the 2nd list gaves Mario his deserved props. A game that almost single-handedly revived the industry, has been copied countless times over and defined the platformer genre, and still is fantastic fun to play and one of the best games on the planet certainly is worth a top 5 spot at least.

I agree about the LttP/OOT situation. It's hard to pick the superior game.

I might even put the Lunar's over FF7.

(as much as it pains me) Xenogears (disc 1)

Proud of ya boy. Doesn't it feel good to let it out?

Just because it doesn't totally suck doesn't mean I don't hate it.

But the dungeons absolutely suck, still.

FFVII sucking late in the game puts them on a similar level.

Lunars are iffy--if they were Playstation exclusive I'd say yeah, but they were upgrades of Sega CD games. Then there's WD's moronic translation bogging them down.

If people are up for it, why not us do our own Top 100 list? I mean, not all that hard really. Get a bunch of people to submit a listing of the Top 100 games they have, get a panel together to make some comments about the games and hell, we could probably even post it on the main site.

Just an idea.

We tried that before, remember? A bunch of Lamers fucked it up.

:P Actually, that was trying to make a what games were great from last year. I think if we got off our asses and did it up, I think we could do good.

We've never had a "Top 100" of any sort. Best RPG, Best Hero, Best Villian, but not really Top anything. Hell, those best ofs, were more Clash ofs then Best ofs.

We could just get a select panel to write up their top 100 games, each list giving off "points" and do up a list that way. Might work better.

...no one participated in what games were great from last year because they were pissed about the selection. Hence why I never posted the results.

Guest CronoT

True; all the people were coming all over themselves over Halo 2. Now, that game is mostly considered a hardcore fanbase game.

"Of it's generation," meaing the best RPG on the PlayStation. .

No.

Agreed. I could EASILY list at least 5 better RPGs on the PSX.

(in no order)

Suikoden 1 and 2

Azure Dreams

Dragon Warrior 7

Final Fantasy 9(waits for the fallout from that one)

Persona 1 and 2

And that's without even having to stop and think.

Well, I agree that it's be pretty much a pointless exercise, because too many biases would creep in. I think the 2nd list is adequate, although I might disagree about the order. That's really not a damning thing to say about a list, because people tend to never be happy about those lists anyway. But when games that in no way in hell should be on there are (the 1st list) then there's a problem.

Incidentally, I found an EGM from 2002 with their top 100 list (it was the issue with Seanbaby's list of worst games of all time, which brought ET to the attention of a lot more people, I believe).

I won't type every entry up, but the top 20:

20. Galaga

19. Panzer Dragoon Saga

18. Pokemon Puzzle League

17. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

16. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

15. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec

14. Metal Gear Solid

13. Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting

12. Final Fantasy V (Antholgy Ed)

11. Super Mario Bros. 3 (All Stars Ed.)

10. Super Mario World

9. Final Fantasy III

8. Legend of Zelda: OOT

7. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (yeah--HUH?!)

6. Soul Calibur

5. Super Mario 64

4. Castlevania: SotN

3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

2. Tetris

1. Super Metroid

MM is a bit of a head-scratcher, and FFV?! Other than that, not bad, and typical of most of these sorts of lists.

BTW, that list = the suck.

Well, maybe we shouldn't do a Top 100, as that would allow games to creep in via bias, but if we did a list via Top 30, I think we could get away with it, because there should be about 30 games that have to be on the list, and if not, the list is garbage.

Guest JebusNassedar

You see, it's other gamers that make me ashamed to play games.

The best game ever is Tetris, by the way. Because long after we're all dead, people will still be playing it.

BTW, that list = the suck.

No, average list. Not as good as the 2nd list, but better than the 1st one. Plus, the whole 100 is pretty good overall.

The best game ever is Tetris, by the way. Because long after we're all dead, people will still be playing it.

Devil Dice is better than Tetris. :P

Guest JebusNassedar

Devil Dice is better than Tetris. :P

Everone plays Tetris, though.

Hardly anyone played Devil Dice.

True; all the people were coming all over themselves over Halo 2. Now, that game is mostly considered a hardcore fanbase game.

And Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger and Zelda and the like are what?

Not trying to start anything, I just realized that most big games have their own hardcore fanbase. Zelda, Mario, et cetra have the unquestionable loyality of Nintendo fans. Most big name RPGs have fans so hardcore that they dress up like the characters. And games like GTA and Halo 2 (and most of the big X-Box/PS2 games) have the most desired demographic: 18-34 males.

I find it really hard to do these lists. It's tough to decide what goes in what order especially once you get far into it. Like how do you decide the difference between the 33rd best game ever or the 36th? And after a while it gets boring and you just start adding stuff to fill the list. I have my top 8 games pretty much set in stone, but after that it would change depending on the day.

I think what CT means is--once the marketing hype has died down, the game has been played, and long after it has been released--how will it stand?

Obviously it will be different for different people, but the general consensus I'd heard is that a lot of people didn't think Halo 2 quite matched up to the hype, at least for the single-player missions. I'd often heard it referred to as a glorified expansion pack. In comparison, Halo 1 might be more fondly remembered in the long run, but I think both will be given plenty of props in the future.

The best of the Mario/Sonic/Zelda games are going to be fondly remembered by casuals and hardcores.

I don't like that "unquestionable loyalty" assertion, though.

There's some smug assumptions made about fans, of--oh, the GTA games. Despite the fact that they're good games, there are many, many people who love it who are idiots, and don't know shit about games besides.

It's easy to hate something because its popular.

A perfect example of this is the opinions about X-Box 360 being debuted on MTV, which is a complete joke to just about any gamer over the age of 13 (and likely plenty of non-gamers as well).

I find it really hard to do these lists. It's tough to decide what goes in what order especially once you get far into it. Like how do you decide the difference between the 33rd best game ever or the 36th? And after a while it gets boring and you just start adding stuff to fill the list. I have my top 8 games pretty much set in stone, but after that it would change depending on the day.

Hence why you do a Top 30, instead of 100. For a Top 30, there's a couple of games that have to make the list. These lists would be more for replability, ability to pick it up and still be good fun, and what they did for the gaming industry as well as how good they were at the time.

Any Top 100 without the arcade Popeye game is crap. </joke>

Seriously though...I'm slightly surprised that no Mega Man games are on there. Guess they didn't stand the test of time as well as the others on the list.

Heh the fan vote IGN list is just hilariously bad. SNK vs Capcom? Hahaha yeah, okay. I mean, that game isn't just undeserving, it's flat-out bad.

A TSM top 30 list could be fun.

Mega Man 2 & 3 are still REALLY fun. I bougth the anthology and played them recently. The controls were SO much better than 'classics' like Castlevania, Double Dragon, Ghosts and Goblins.