TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

That's what they said about Episode I...

I see where you're coming from and it certainly sounds like this is, for Star Wars fans anyway, the best SW film in the past 25 years, but there's some lingering doubt hanging around. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I dunno if this will actually end up better than ROTJ. ROTJ has a repeat viewing quality in terms of being a happier, redemptive film whereas this is bound to end up ultra depressing and sad. It is odd but I'd say Jedi is the most underrated film in the series, given far too much latter day trashing for inconsequential reasons (Ewoks, 2nd Death Star).

But hell I saw AOTC 2 times at the theater, I have to see this one 3 or so, haha. Only saw Phantom Menace once, mainly because I thought that one sucked. And incidentally, can we PLEASE stop referring to the original as A New Hope? I know that's the official title in the reissue but it's still incredibly lame.

I've always liked Jedi. I have no beef with Ewoks (the E-e-e-e-e-e Ewoks, the spirts of the forrest moon) and it brings everything to a happy close.

Plus the green light sabre kicks ass.

I didn't care much for The Blogger Ranter Whose Name Is Not To Be Spoken Here's review of Episode I stating that it's actually a better film than ROTJ, but everyone has the right to an opinion (even if it's wrong). Though I do admit that 6 years after the fact, removed from the hype of being the movie people were waiting 16 years for, it's clealry not the worst thing ever.

"Bad guys use red, good guys use blue, that's just the way it is" was what Lucas told Jackson before he got his wish for the distinct purple sabre.

I'm of the understanding the lightsabre is green in Jedi because of the outdoor battle scenes' blue sky making it hard to see the blue one.

I kind of wished they just dropped the General Grievous character and just have Dooku do that stuff instead. He was one of the more interesting villains in the series, and he is woefully underused.

Other than that, easily the best of the prequels and probably the best since Empire.

BTW, I absolutely loved Grand Moff Tarkin being there at the end.

EDIT: Whoops! Too tired. Sorry about screwing up the tags.

Just saw a midnight shwoing.

It's strange. A pretty good movie, but it skipped around so much and several important aspects were left too briefly touched upon, I think...but I feel quite underwhelmed and sad at the same time, both for the story and for what could have been.

I knew what to expect, but I'm sad that the last Star Wars movie to be seen new and live in a theatre was such a downer.

I give it *** out of 5.

I knew what to expect, but I'm sad that the last Star Wars movie to be seen new and live in a theatre was such a downer.

Interesting. Most of the people I know were cheering for Vader.

I think it lived up to its hype. Definitely could've been trimmed up a bit, but that's the case with both trilogies. Easily the best (and most satisfying) installment of the new trilogy.

Guest Vitamin X

I absolutely loved it, but there were times where it felt very rushed. Still, two questions remain:

1. I haven't watched the OT in years. How does Vader discover that Luke is, indeed, his son? From what's told in ROTS, Vader could have figured that his children died with Padme.

2. What's the deal with the Qui Gon Jin stuff at the end? The fuck was the point of that?!

Aside from those two things, everything else in the movie, is well, rather expected. All of us know that Padme is going to get pregnant with Luke and Leia, and that she does give birth to them, and that Anakin becomes Vader, Obi Wan and Yoda live. I kind of regret not looking at the spoilers now, because the far and few things that were a surprise, were very trivial things. Nothing happens in ROTS that has an astounding, profound impact on the rest of the saga- It's just there, but fuck it was very well done. You gain a certain sort of sympathy for Anakin/Darth Vader after this film, and his character is infinitely more valuable as a result of this trilogy. I'm not sticking with the haters on the prequel trilogy; There were moments in Episode II and III that really outclass the OT, especially the ridiculously overrated Episode IV.

With all that said, out of the 6, the only one I would classify as an actual bad movie (not just bad for Star Wars/in comparison) is Episode I. I could go on and on, but I'll save it for a time when I have my thoughts a bit more organized about it. I'll just leave it saying that Episode I really seemed absolutely pointless in the grand scheme of things.

As for non-movie happenings at the theatre, there was a 6-man lightsaber fight that broke out in my theatre, which was really amusing and helped pass the couple hours I was waiting there for about a half hour or so, then going back to the mags I brought. Of all the fucking things that could have happened, the projectors went out (you've all seen the effect done before, where it looks like the movie "melts" and all you're left with is a blank screen) right as Padme was giving birth to Luke and Leia. Oh man, I thought there would be a riot, but some people (including myself) used it as a bathroom break, and the movie finished up from then on.

I'm watching the OT starting tommorrow when I receive Episode IV from Netflix. I think it really will enhance the quality of it a lot better, having watched Episodes II and III yesterday and today, respectively.

How does Vader discover that Luke is, indeed, his son?

Apparently, Skywalker isn't a very common name...

The Empire has spies, and it wasn't much for these spies to get ahold of the new Rebel hero's name.

That said, isn't it kind of dumb that Obi-Wan and Owen didn't decide to give Luke Owen's last name, especially considering that they were trying to hide Luke?

I enjoyed myself quite a bit.

Anakin was a bad ass, both as a jedi and sith lord, and Obi-Won had some quality fight scenes himself.

An emotional downer in terms of the story but it was well told.

Guest Vitamin X

That's what I was thinking as well! How the hell did Luke end up with the same last name? Why would Obi-Wan tell Luke's parents just exactly who he is, and more importantly, how would Luke not find out in advance as well?

Vitamin X

1. He finds out after he blows up the Death Star. He could sense something was wrong even during the Trench Run in ANH, and we he found out that a kid called Skywalker blew up the Death Star, he came to that conclusion. It is interesting to note that Palpatine doesn't find out until afterwards because Vader didn't really feel like telling him.

2. This is the explanation to why Obi-Wan & Yoda can survive as ghosts.

All I have to say is...after seeing it in theaters...I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can watch all 6 movies back to back to back to back to back to back.

From 1-6.

Also, We know now that Luke is officially smarter than his father was when his father was younger, as Luke didn't fall for the same trap that Anakin did.

Guest Vitamin X
Vitamin X

1. He finds out after he blows up the Death Star. He could sense something was wrong even during the Trench Run in ANH, and we he found out that a kid called Skywalker blew up the Death Star, he came to that conclusion. It is interesting to note that Palpatine doesn't find out until afterwards because Vader didn't really feel like telling him.

That still kinda doesn't explain how Luke comes to have the same surname as his father, without having any connection to him at all whatsoever. Also, as LIM pointed out, apparently Skywalker must not be a very common name in the whole galaxy. What are the chances of such a thing occuring, anyways?

Apparently the Force works in mysterious ways, eh?

Luke does live a very sheletered life. Owen keeps refusing year after year to let him go to the academy.

Perhaps they could say they "gave" Luke the last name in tribute of Owen's step-mother Shmi Skywalker.

I just got home from the theatre. That was fucking AWESOME. All of the fight scenes delivered, and the ending was perfect. IMO, Lucas has redeemed himself.

I'll post my thougths tomorrow, but at my theater a man cam in full Darth Vader costume, with the absudley expensive FX Lightsaber- and his family. Kind of ruined the bad-ass image of Vader, what with the two kids and wife standing besides him.

And they weren't even twins!

Also, apparently there was a lightsaber battle that broke out in my friends theater. I of course missed it since I got my tickets about 7 hours before the movie and was in the last theater they opened up.

Absolutly Awesome!!! So well worth the hell that will begin in the coming few hours with heading into work. No complaints about anything. I would have loved it to have been even longer. Can't wait to see it again.

Guest Vitamin X

I was just thinking about this part. Man, this really wrapped it up so well that whe nI sit down and analyze the meanings and what each character represents, the movie gets incredibly deep. I don't have much energy to go and write it all out right now, but I was just thinking about what the strongest scene in the movie was. For me, it was When Palpatine executes Order 66, and all the Jedi Council members get betrayed all across the galaxy, and Anakin goes berserk and just goes on the insane killing spree. The scene and particular moment I think was the strongest was when he goes into the Council Chambers where all the young Padawans (all "younglings", aka children) and they feel relieved to see Anakin, thinking he's there to save them and teach them to defend themselves. Then the child asks him to help them and he just gets this look in his eye and busts out his lightsaber, and cuts from that part- That was fuckin AWESOME.

The Order 66 scene is awesome. It's just so emotional. Especially the first two deaths we see involving Ki-Adi Mundi and Aayla Secura. For Ki-Adi, it's raining and after yelling "Come on!" he and some clonetroopers are charging toward some battle droids. As he's charging, the order comes and it shows the running clonetrooper feet stop. Ki-Adi takes care of the droids, turns around and then the troopers attack. He defends himself briefly, and then he goes down. Aayla doesn't even get a chance to defend herself. She gets shot in the back. And then a upward shot come and it pans away and the troopers continue to blast her corpse. We don't see her head as a mushroom like tree is covering it, so I assume it gets blown off. Also the music during this scene is phenominal and probably helped. Great scene. I wish we would have got to see the Temple Massacre and the Seperatists Massacre though.

Guest Smues

I got to the theater at 9:30, and was pleasantly surprised to see that at 9:40 or so they let us into the theaters, as opposed to every other midnight movie I've been to where we wait in line until at least 11, usually 11:20. Was nice to be able to sit down, and it gave all the super geeks plenty of time and space to wear themselves out so they'd be quiet during the movie. Highlight of the pre-movie festivities would be a guy in full vader gear fighting two guys in full star trek gear.

As for the movie I'm exhausted and need to go to bed, so I'll be brief and maybe blab on more about it tommorow.

In short: Anakin is still a crying pussy, Darth Vader kicks all kinds of ass, Padme is still annoying (maybe I was just tired but something about her eye brows was bugging me), the lovey dialouge between Anakin and Padme has NOT gotten better since episode 2, Mace Windu kicks ass, Obi-wan kicks ass. GREAT movie.

Bad: Jar Jar binks. Good: He never says a word and is only seen twice for like 5 seconds each time. Bad: I've been praying for Jar Jar to die since episode one, but he didn't. Good: I'd been fearing that if he was killed it would be tramatic and upsetting, when it should be celebrated, so at least that didn't happen.

Bad: Jar Jar binks. Good: He never says a word and is only seen twice for like 5 seconds each time. Bad: I've been praying for Jar Jar to die since episode one, but he didn't. Good: I'd been fearing that if he was killed it would be tramatic and upsetting, when it should be celebrated, so at least that didn't happen.

Just be happy in knowing that the last time you see him, he's sad and unhappy. He probably committed suicide or something.

so the movie is good because of the action sequences...okay figured that much...how is the actual PLOT...how is the acting...same as the first two episodes (McGregor, McDiarmid, and Lee are the only good actors)?