TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Crash

Film of the year right now for me, hands down. Superb performances by Cheadle, Dillon, Ludacris (~!), Larenz Tate and Michael Pena, moving cinematography and directing and an amazing story. It's a shame this will be forgotten about come Oscar time because of it's early release date. Paul Haggis deserves serious recognition for this one.

Guest Vitamin X

I saw that it was playing at a nearby theatre and was interested in seeing it, but it didn't really have anything to reel me in except for the cast. I know it's focused on a bunch of people rom different races that come in contact with each other within 36 hours, but what is it about besides that?

Yes, they should have picked a different title since there was already a movie by that name, but this movie is great so get over it.

This has Daniel Dae Kim in it, right?

Daniel Dae Kim is only in it for about two seconds.

I know it's focused on a bunch of people rom different races that come in contact with each other within 36 hours, but what is it about besides that?

The L.A. district attorney and his wife are carjacked. A wealthy black couple are humiliated and violated by a racist cop during a traffic stop. Don Cheadle plays an Internal Affairs detective who realizes that his first assumptions about the case he's working on may not be right.

There are more plotlines and characters than that, but basically it's about how everyone reacts to their situation, how our prejudices and fears inevitably lead to and explosion when we colide with each other, and how everyone believes and reacts to stereotypes in at least minor ways. Most of the character are neither completely good or evil and it helps to make the movie seem more realistic and compelling.

This movie is well worth seeing.

Theres a great sex scene between Arquette and Spader, man I remember when all this furore over the film, and it getting banned in some parts of the country, but not others, weird

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115964/

That's a different crash.

I'm pretty sure this film actually came out last year, as I heard it was played at last year's Toronto International Film Festival.

Dillon gives one fuck of a performance in this.

I tells ya, you want to turn out a oscar contending performance play a retarded guy or a racist.

Unless you are black...then you have to play a slave.

Get me a role as a retarded slave, then I will get my Oscar.

Guest Evolution

I too marked out for DDK, but this whole movie was really good, and is likely going to be the best movie in most theaters until Episode III is released, if not longer (like Cinderella Man long).

It was my favorite Matt Dillon performance since Wild Things, but there was plenty of good acting to go around.

Guest Vitamin X

I had a difficult time enjoying the movie since I had a shitload of other things on my mind, but despite that I reaaaally loved the movie. Don Cheadle is like the new Morgan Freeman.

This had a REALLY strong cast, and I think Ryan Phillippe is also a very underrated actor, he should be getting more work than his wife.

I saw this today, and it took the place of In Good Company as my my pick for best overall film of the year so far. It's Crash, In Good Company, and then Sin City so far for me this year.

The scene where Dillon...

Saves the woman he previously violated...

Is one of the best in recent memory. I saw things in just about every actor and actress in this film that I just flat out didn't really know was there. If nothing else, this film deserves an award for best ensemble cast.

In Good Company #2? The movie was okay but the CORPORATIONS ARE BAD message really got old after a while. That and Scarlett Johansen's awfulness.

Crash was pretty awesome. I felt guilty that I laughed at much of it, but that was a very powerful and haunting movie.

BEST movie this year so far.

This movie should be required viewing for all sociology majors.....

The characters are so well-defined, it's astounding that they fit all of it into one motion picture.

The movie was okay but the CORPORATIONS ARE BAD message really got old after a while.

I found reading that funny because Michael Medved, who reviews movies when he's not being a conservative pundit and trying to politicise Million Dollar Baby, actually praised it because he said it dosen't have a "corporations are evil" mentality.

That movie was dissapointing, I expecting better than okay.

Guest Vitamin X
In Good Company #2? The movie was okay but the CORPORATIONS ARE BAD message really got old after a while. That and Scarlett Johansen's awfulness.

Not to mention that the story didn't really have a focus on what it wanted to develop, and neither of the plots involved had a solid conclusion to them. That's what bothered me the most. You expect something more to happen.

Crash, however, didn't have that feeling. Everything wrapped up very nicely at the end.

I especially liked, for TSM reasons:

"My father's from Puerto Rico, and my mother's from El Salvador, and you know what those two countries have in common?" "What's that?" "That neither one of them are named MEXICO!!"

Finally, got to check out this film the other day. It was a really captivating film as it put me on a rollercoaster of emotions. The scene that really got to me was

when the Persian store owner confronts the Mexican locksmith later in the movie

. Matt Dillon is the character I love to hate and Don Chadle gave a heartwrenching performance. This movie definitely deserves at least an Oscar if not two.

I actually just saw this on Saturday. I thought it was a great movie, and I was really surprised by the performance of Ludacris. I'm just really sorry it took me so long to see it.

I thought it was pretty good but did anyone else feel like it was 2 hours of a 3 hour movie? And really, it had some truly absurd coincidences that keep bringing the characters back together. If you watch it again you'll see what I mean....I can't see in a huge city like L.A. people crossing paths so often by accident.