TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Skywarp!

Weezer - "Make Believe"

Haven't heard it yet, but the 1st review is in.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-revie...e-believe.shtml

An 0.4 out of 10.0. I don't think I've ever heard an album deserving of that score. I'm pretty sure Pitchfork is just being theatrical to gain attention, as usual, but it still doesn't give me hope.

It probably does suck, yes, in fact I'd wager that it sucks a LOT. But it's PITCHFORK, fer fuck's sake.

I have liked Weezer for a long time. I was scared after hearing Beverly Hills, since that was a boring, monotonous, and shitty song. However, the rest of the album is pretty good. I listened to it on My Space the other day. It's not up to Blue Album or Pinkerton levels, but it's worth buying for $9.99, IMO (That's the most I'm willing to pay for a CD).

I listened to Myspace this morning, but I only got to listen to the 1st 4 tracks. "Beverly Hills" isn't the worst song I've ever heard, nor is "This is Such a Pity". However, track 2 sounded like a damned Good Charlotte song, and track 4 might have been the worst Weezer song of all time...barring anything following it actually being worse but I don't know how that could be true.

I'm not a big Weezer fan, but I'm familiar with a lot of their work. "Beverly Hills" is just completely awful. "This Is Such a Pity" isn't bad, though, and should be the second single (from what I've read, "We Are All On Drugs" will be).

I haven't heard the whole record. So far I like This Is Such A Pity and Hold Me, but the rhymes for this song are really awful:

"We Are All On Drugs"

When you're out with your friends

In your new Mercedes-Benz

And you're on drugs

And you show up late for school

'Cause you think you're really cool

When you're on drugs

And you put on your headphones

And you step into the zone

When you're on drugs

But the world don't care

If you are not there

'Cause you're on drugs

GIVE IT TO ME

We are all on drugs yeah

Never getting enough (never get enough)

We are all on drugs yeah

Give me some of that stuff (WOO)

I heard Make Believe a week ago. It strikes me as one of the worst albums I've heard in ages. I like a grand total of three songs, and even then the lyrics still bite in all of them. It's like River Cuomo got hit in the head with a guitar and magically forgot how to write a song so he put out shit like "My Best Friend" and "We Are All On Drugs."

I finally broke down and bought it. It wasn't unlistenable like I thought it was going to be, but it definitely does disappoint. Who knows? Maybe it will be a grower, like the Green Album.