TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
algrim

Former WWE Writer Chris Kreski Passes Away

Chris Kreski, who was one of the main guys who replaced Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara, passed away yesterday of cancer at age 42.

Kreski didn't have cancer when he worked for WWE and left the company to pursue other opportunities. Stephanie McMahon then replaced him as head writer.

There goes the only chance Vince had to do things right. Rest in peace, Mr. Kreski. :(

That sucks. He left the federation four years ago, and people still thought he would be able to turn the company around if he ever made his return.

I feel bad that he died, but there was no chance in hell of him coming back to "save" the WWE. He went from writing storylines for WWE to Hollywood, where the job is A) higher paying and B) more prestigious. Writing for Hollywood is where it's at, not for WWE unless that is specifically where you want to be which is why "wrestling" people should be writing the TV, not Hollywood hopefuls.

Still, RIP Mr. Kreski.

Kreski also wrote for The Daily Show, Remote Control, Beavis and Butthead, and cowrote Growing Up Brady with Barry Williams and Star Trek Memories with William Shatner. He also was one of the creators of Idiot Savants, a game show on MTV which occasionally featured Steve Austin long before he had any measure of mainstream popularity.

Guest Fook_Theta

Oops. I've seen a bunch of people call for this guy to be given his spot back as the man with the plan. Wonder who the next internet fantasy booking darling will be.

Guest theanswer1824

what were the main storylines that he came up with? this is the first i've heard his name.

what were the main storylines that he came up with? this is the first i've heard his name.

He was head booker in 2000.

This came out of nowhere and it sucks. RIP Kreski.

Guest slmon

That's sad. Sad for us as wrestling fans and a lot sadder for his family and friends, obviously. Please God, tell me that we aren't stuck with Steph as head writer (!?) forever.

It's too bad to hear about Kreski, and he was certainly better than any of the current writers. However, 2000 was not the Fed's best year. That would be either 1998 or 1999.

To be honest, when under Vince's supervision:

Russo >>> Kreski

However, 2000 was not the Fed's best year. That would be either 1998 or 1999.

Russo >>> Kreski

2000 was the fed's best year financially.

So, Kreski > Russo.

Well I'm shock....this truly sucks....

Chris Kreski did a fantastic job back in 2000.......I mean what he did for the WWE was very good....here is a guy....that had NO experience in wrestling.....and was able to create the most memorable storylines in the history of the WWE....he was very good a creating characters as well....

Triple H should be crying at this moment.....because if it wasn't for Chris Kreski...I dont' think Triple H will be where he is today.......The McMahon-Helmesly storyline really help elevate Triple H....Kreski really spent lots of time trying to make Triple H a main event superstar......he also tweak the Rock's character a little bit....and lets not forget the biggest overhaul he gave to a wrestler......and that was "The Undertaker" he really took a chance with that.....and Kreski did a very good job of trying to evolve the Undertaker.....

RIP Chris Kreski...you made history when you were the head of WWE creative team...

He went from writing storylines for WWE to Hollywood, where the job is A) higher paying and B) more prestigious. Writing for Hollywood is where it's at, not for WWE unless that is specifically where you want to be which is why "wrestling" people should be writing the TV, not Hollywood hopefuls.

Actually its the reverse...he left Hollywood for WWE and went back to Hollywood when he left WWE.........He signed a six figure deal with WWE back in 1999....and he quit WWE in late 2000.....and Steph took over in October of 2000(she confirms this on her past visit on the Howard Stern Show back in 2001)

Guest fanofcoils

<-- notices how much Chris Kreski was a no name during 2000 until it was probably reported he left, very backstage (hiding behind the scenes) he was

And where the hell do you get 2000 is better financially than 1999?

Guest TheLastBoyscout

Well, Kreski wasn't really the reason 2000 was so good. 2000 was so good because the mid card was the best EVER in any promotion. And the Main Events ruled too.

At least he didn't go along with Russo's dumb idea to have Test marry Stephanie. Maybe we would have to endure Test as multiple world champion today :lol:

Seriously, the wwe did get a goldmine with the radicalz jumping at the same time. They should also be thankful for Kurt Angle's quick learning, but Kreski did help Angle into the main event scene.

And where the hell do you get 2000 is better financially than 1999?

I don't feel like looking it up, but I believe he's correct when he said that. In 1999 the ratings were higher than 2000, but it didn't translate into PPV buys. Russo put a product out that was good at garnering interest from casual fans on Monday nights but was difficult, relatively speaking compared to the ratings, to get people to pay for PPVs. 2000 had higher buyrates on most shows, if I remember correctly, probably because the workrate was higher and people knew they'd get a good show, with great matches, on PPV.

Jason

Guest Mos_Def
However, 2000 was not the Fed's best year. That would be either 1998 or 1999.

Russo >>> Kreski

2000 was the fed's best year financially.

So, Kreski > Russo.

Yeah, but from a financial standpoint, when Kreski took over, the WWF was by far and away the #1 company…Russo built the house, Kreski maintained it and made upgrades.

WWF was on a death watch when Russo took over for the most part…He had a big hand in developing : Rock, Austin, Mr. McMahon, HHH/DX, and giving the company an identity.

Russo’s obvious negatives were his contempt for actual wrestling, and his xenophobia. He went over the edige sometimes in terms of decency, but as a teenager watching Raw, it was fun to watch him skate the lines of good taste on a weekly basis.

Russo (with the help of Vince and other WWF writers) knew how to not make mid-card acts seem like afterthoughts, and the guy was always on the grind to make new stars …He pimped the shit out of his crash t.v format, and changed the wrestling paradigm…Gave wrestling purists fits, but one cant deny the results…He was thoroughly exposed when he went to WCW tho.

The WWF definitely had a better product in 2G vs. 98/99, but to be fair Kreski had the Radicals and Jericho which fleshed out the wrestling portion of the show.

Sad news about his death…Condolences

I thought Russo was a long time wrestling fan? You know, Russo probably just thought things were skyrocketing with 2 minute matches that he wanted to cut down on the wrestling. It didn't exactly prove to be right when Kreski took over with a stronger depth of talent. I remember reading Russo's greatest matches and champions list(might post it some time) and he had it pretty damn smarkish. The British Bulldogs were the #1 tag team in wwf history. Steamboat/Savage as the greatest match or it was behind Bret/Owen. Bret Hart as the greatest wwf champion. I think Russo knew the wwe could not compete wrestling wise with the deeper roster of wcw. He got burn out for a reason in 1999, but by that time the wwe had guys like Jericho and Big Show jumping ship. It also should be noted he changed the titles of all divisions more times in that 1999 year than anytime in history and that helped bolster the ratings. Still he did build the empire, but his wcw run shows Mcmahon knew how to use the guy's "talents" properly.