TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

shed scene from Commando

One of my favorite things about Commando is that most of the film rests on the premise that Bennett is an equal match for John Matrix. He's a chubby Australian guy in leather pants and chain mail, and I love it.

Vernon Wells was the man though. It's weird that he was one of those freaky dudes in the assless chaps in Road Warrior (Wez)....he looked nothing like Bennett in that film.

Commando is the ultimate 80s guilty pleasure. Just the fastest, silliest 90 mins. you'll ever spend. It's a video game come to life, and Bennett is the main boss.

God, I love this scene. Arnold beats the shit out of Bennet with his one good arm, then he picks up a giant pole with his bad arm and impales Bennet with it.

I locw 80s action movies.

Oh God, speaking of cheesy 80s actioners I watched Cobra tonight. Watching it you realize how thin of a line it is between genius (Commando) and crap. One main problem that these Stallone movies have is the silly preaching involved. When you hear the preachy "criminals have rights, victims don't" trash in Cobra or the embarrassing Vietnam exploitation of Rambo, it's all the more refreshing to just put on Commando. I think Arnold realized more that goofy action movies are escapist fare, thus his stuff is easier to take nowdays than Stallone.

Oh yeah and Rocky ending the Cold War. In real life they probably would have shot him just like we probably would have done if a Russian fighter came here during the Cold War, beat our best fighter, and then told us we can change.

Oh man does Cobra make me laugh though. The killer guy (yanno NOT AHnold) and all his (pig) cheesy (pig) satanic "subtext" has line after line of awesome dialoge. Stallone has his fair share too ("Hey dirtbag, you're a lousey shot. I hate lousey shots"). Oh the laughs. That shit will never be unfunny.

You know it wasn't all that long ago that we were all still afraid of heavy metal and the devil. Classic 80's.

Edited by CheesalaIsGood

I think that dude's name is Brian Thompson. That is one fucked up dude right there. Shame his character was so underwritten in the film...we never get what his whole "New World Order" thing is, who all is involved, why the police chick joined up with him (the evil Stockard Channing looking chick!). It's almost like they cut 20m or so out of the movie.

This wasn't the only Stallone movie I saw this week. I also got the DVD of Over the Top that just came out. It doesn't get much more gold than seeing a huge redneck armwrestler guzzle down Valvoline. Over the Top is one of those movies that you can't unsee....it just stays with you for life. I remember seeing it when I was about 7-8 at the theater, and for some reason it still bears on my mind.

Sully's scream is some funny shit.

BLABLAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

Any way someone could post video of Ahnold beating the crap out of the mall cops?

Cobra's pretty freaking great. The Alien Bounty Hunter from X-Files is busting up prices. The scene with Brigitte Nielsen and those fucking robot statues cracks my ass up every time. If you want a really weird experience, listen to the George P. Cosmatos director commentary. He basically just describes what's happening on screen, slowly, and in broken English, occasionally saying how much he likes certain songs. Songs that, sometimes, I'm pretty sure aren't even in the movie.

Cobra was on tv here in Sweden tonight, so I just couldn't resist watching it, as it never ceases to amuse me. I think the best part of the film is that factory at the end which seemingly only has one function, to produce flames. If it wasn't so late right now I'd watch Commando as well, as it has much the same effect on me. Oh well, I'll do that tomorrow. My favourite part of that film is the final showdown between Matrix and Bennett, one of the most hilariously homoerotic scenes I can remember seeing. I don't specifically remember the dialogue, but I think Matrix says something along the likes of "You don't want to shoot me Bennett. You want to stick your knife in me don't you, stick it in and twist it". The look on Bennett's face when he starts screaming "I'm coming to get you John!" almost puts me on the floor everytime.

Bennett is one of my favorite heels in 80s films, he really is. There is definitely a bizarre homoerotic vibe to his character, the way he waxes poetic about Matrix being able to take out an entire army. And of course the finale where Bennett seems to get some creepy sexual thrill out of tossing his gun only to go after Arnold with a knife.

It should be noted that Vernon Wells' other well known character from The Road Warrior actually WAS gay I think. Recall Wez in that movie had the blond boy that was his BUTT buddy, although it was never directly mentioned exactly.