TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Guitar Hero.

Nope, that's clearly where my self esteem comes from. Kicking ass at playing virtual guitar and getting a round of applause for it, nothing better.

Yeah, but you just become "that guy". You know the ones, who play games for hours getting good at it just so you can win all the time when around other people who can't play the game.

Granted, it did inflate my ego to see people going "wow, this looks well hard and you can do it!" but then I just felt really sad that I could do it. Like I had become "that guy".

Well, it wouldn' take hours to get better than someone who can't play it at all.

Being 'that guy' though does suck, it's akin to going to a gig wearing the t-shirt of the band that are playing and then mouthing all the lyrics. No one wants to be that guy.

If we're taking turns, I could give a fuck if anyone else is good. But if we're on co-op, please don't bring me down and cause us to fail.

The weird thing is, I have friends who are not musically inclined at all (I am a mediocre guitar player) and they kick my ass at Guitar Hero. I still can't play most Expert songs on GH3 while sober. Stoned, yes- that's how I beat TtFatF- but sober, no way.

Fuck expert, I can't get passed the stage with Slipknot, Muse, QoTSA and Disturbed on hard. I can't get anywhere on those songs!

I only beat 1 of the songs in that group on hard, either the Slipknot or Disturbed song - I think Slipknot. The rest of them kick my ass. The Slipknot (or Disturbed) song gets easier after you get out of the beginning part. It took me a bunch of times before I finally beat it, though.

The Disturbed song I beat on Hard first time through, somehow. I didn't score very well but I passed. The rest took me forever. I still love going back to playing Knights of Cydonia, at least until the HO/PO part about 2/3 of the way through. I hate that part.

My skill level is such that I could just barely do "Stricken" well on Hard, and have a lot of fun with it. I wasn't great at "3's & 7's", but I love the song. Gonna buy it for Rock Band eventually. I think I pretty much hated "Before I Forget", though.

I didn't get past "The Metal" on Expert career, but I think I tried a few from that harder tier on Quickplay. The 3-note chord wankery kinda ruined things for me. Not only did I fail, but it wasn't much fun.

Where I don't have my own copy of GHIII yet I've only gotten as far as beating everything on hard except for 'Number of the Beast' and 'Devil Went Down to Georgia.' As much as I love Guitar Hero I have managed to resist the urge to get it as of yet so I didn't spend all my time playing that and fail university. That's all going to change as soon as I graduate.

Can't they do GH band games for bands i like? A Clutch one would be awesome.

I'm sure it'll be mostly older stuff, like the Aerosmith game. They'll likely have some singles from the newer albums (I like Load/Reload, for the record) but at most it'll be the song "St. Anger" and/or "Frantic" from that album.

Well, they've already had "One" in a GH. They're going to have a rough time of it paring the song list down to a manageable one for the game, plus leaving room for bands "inspired" by Metallica. I would like a few of the newer songs, but like Matt says, it's probably going to be a progression through their career a la Areosmith.

Anybody heard any possibly legit rumors for the World Tour set list yet?

"Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert, 100% & Full Combo'd last night, by iamchris4life. :headbang:

Incidentally, if any Canadians read this, and don't already have the game, EB has the 360 version, game only, for $10 new, or $5 used. My brother picked it up for me last night. In my first act, I got 4 stars on "Slow Ride" Hard. :bonk:

There should be some downloadable content which I would imagine would feature songs from the previous games.

When we'll get them though is a different story.

Does anybody have any good tips to make the transition from medium to hard besides practice?

I am getting 5 stars on medium all the way up to "One" but on hard the only songs I can finish are "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and "Slow Ride". Friggin' "Talk Dirty to Me" is kicking my ass and I have a 100% on the song in medium.

It frustrates me enough that I almost don't want to play it anymore. Any tips I'm missing?

It's a big jump. The best thing to do would be to put some time on the Hard modes of GH2 or Rock Band, which are considerably easier than that of GH3. Excluding that, you can try a few things that helped me go from pathetic to decent:

-Get more comfortable sliding your hand position, particularly remembering not to panic if you miss a note because you're positioned wrong.

-Start with your index finger on the red and your pinkie on the orange, and make that your "home" position since it's much easier to stretch your pointer than your pinkie. It's easier to correct out of this position if you fuck up your hand movement.

-Try a few songs in practice mode on half speed just to teach your hand how to slide back and forth on the neck of the guitar. Similarly, practice mode will let you go through the whole song messing up however much you want, so you can get an idea of the note chart and the really tough spots on any song.

I dunno, for me it was just a matter of playing & playing the songs until I was able to beat them. I never used practice mode. But keep in mind I topped out on Hard in the grouping that has the QoTSA song, and never bothered to learn/perfect hammer-on's or pull-off's.

It took me a little while to get out of that 1st grouping on Hard ("Talk Dirty" gave me a ton of problems, too), but I pretty much breezed through the next 2 groupings.

"Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert, 100% & Full Combo'd last night, by iamchris4life. :headbang:

Incidentally, if any Canadians read this, and don't already have the game, EB has the 360 version, game only, for $10 new, or $5 used. My brother picked it up for me last night. In my first act, I got 4 stars on "Slow Ride" Hard. :bonk:

I hate to reply to an old post, but this deserves pointing out. Did you hear the multiple "HOLY SHIT's" at the end of the video? You would think the guy just saw his first set of tits, or just got his first head. Hell no, he just watched another guy get 100% on TTFAF then went into a near-orgasm.

Yeah, on HARD I can beat Hit Me with your best shot, but I don't play the game enough anymore to get any better then how I am now. When I first got the game, it was GHIII almost all the time, then in 2008, there was plenty of other games to distract me, not to mention playing Rockband at friend's houses which is a completely different feel on guitar.

Between now and when Guitar Hero 4 is released, I doubt my skill will improve much, but my mind is really focused on hitting up the drums on GH4 anyway.

I actually found the raised notch on the yellow button to be helpful in moving from medium to hard, because you can use that to tell whether you're in a higher or lower position on the neck without looking.

Also, if I recall correctly, in a lot of the earlier hard tracks, there's places where there's no green, just orange, or vice-versa. Try to figure out which part of the song has what, so you know where your hand should be.

Is there any news on the line up of songs for GH4?

I only know there's going to be a Linkin Park song <_<

Is there any news on the line up of songs for GH4?

I only know there's going to be a Linkin Park song <_<

From Wiki:

Four bands have been confirmed for the game from the Game Informer preview: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park, and Sublime. The Game Informer preview also suggests that Dream Theater may be included. Neversoft claims that there will be more songs on disk than any other Guitar Hero game, and that all songs included in Guitar Hero World Tour will be master recordings.[4][5] Project director Brian Blight claims that they have "a pretty even split between the '80s, '90s, and classic rock" with a "good amount of emerging bands".[5] A leak from a market research firm also mentioned that the game would feature Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Foo Fighters, Guns n' Roses, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Default, Toby Keith, The Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, System of a Down, Ozzy Osbourne, Interpol, and Muse.[16] and that Official Xbox Magazine announced that AC/DC is in.

While it has not been confirmed by Activision, The Answer mentioned in a press release that their 2005 single Never Too Late would be included in Guitar Hero World Tour after they won a contest at 2008's Marché international de l’édition musicale conference.[17]

A press release from Fearless Records announced that the song "One Armed Scissor" from At The Drive-in's 2000 release Relationship of Command will be included in Guitar Hero World Tour.[18]

Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way" was featured in the world premiere trailer[19] and was confirmed as a playable song in a demonstration of the game at Wall Street Journal's D6 event.[20]

Blink 182's "Dammit" was featured in a video showcasing the game's drum set featuring former Blink-182 and current +44 drummer Travis Barker doing motion capture for the game. The video also featured Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith along with The Police drummer Stewart Copeland commenting on the performance of the prototype drum set.[9]

It has also been confirmed that Ted Nugent doing motion capture for the game.

I hate to reply to an old post, but this deserves pointing out. Did you hear the multiple "HOLY SHIT's" at the end of the video? You would think the guy just saw his first set of tits, or just got his first head. Hell no, he just watched another guy get 100% on TTFAF then went into a near-orgasm.

It was the guy who played going into orgasm, not somebody watching.