TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Do you think the world will end in 2012?

Guest Olympic Slam

China scares the crap out of me. People say "oh they're not the children of Mao anymore, they're gonna be McDonalds loving capitalists from now on." Yeah, but they're still ruthless fucks with no concept of human rights. And if they're so friendly why are they spending more money on their military than anything else? Hmmmm. I just hope Bush and Blair know what their's doing with this Iraq thing. The more I hear about peak oil, the more I'm hoping that it IS all about oil. We good guys need that stuff.

Prediction?: North America vs. European Union vs. New USSR of China/Russia for control of the world. Coming to a future near you!

Speaking of the anti-christ stuff, I heard an interesting take on the European Union. Some guy on one of the cable news shows was making links between the anti-christ prophecy and the emerging EU. Maybe the anti-chirst isn't a person but a new global entity that functions in the same way? The guy's rant was interesting, but still falls under the label of "crazy."

Say what you will; fossil fuels are finite.  I still believe this will be a humongous problem in our lifetime.

Then explain to me why. Because by any stretch of any sort of analysis, your claim falls on its face.

If supply tightens, prices will rise. Higher prices increase incentives to develop alternatives (which we are seeing already).

In the history of man, every time a doomsday said we'd run out of something, we haven't, because alternatives develop. Don't give in to the scare tactics.

And yes, resources are finite. But constraints guide us along.

Some say the end is near.

Some say we'll see armageddon soon.

I certainly hope we will.

I sure could use a vacation from this

bull-shit three ring cirrrrcus siiiideshow of

Freaks here in this, hopeless fucking, hole we call LA.

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

Any fucking time.

Any fucking day.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and

Fret for your latte and

Fret for your lawsuit and

Fret for your hairpiece and

Fret for your prozac and

Fret for your pilot and

Fret for your contract and

Fret for your car.

It's a bull-shit three ring cirrrrrcuus siiideshow of

freaks here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA.

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

Any fucking time.

Any fucking day.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.

Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.

Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.

Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Some say the end is near.

Some say we'll see armageddon soon.

I certainly hope we will

I sure could use a vacation from this

stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

(Learn to swim. 3x)

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.

Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to beeeeeeeee.

(Learn to swim. 8x){continues in background}

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and Fuck all his clones.

Fuck all these gun-toting Hip gangster wannabes.

Fuck retro anything. Fuck your tattoos.

Fuck all you junkies and Fuck your short memory.

Fuck smiley glad-hands with hidden agendas.

Fuck these dysfunctional, insecure actresses.

(Learn to swim. 8x)

Cuz I'm praying for rain

and I'm praying for tidal waves

I wanna see the ground give way.

I wanna watch it all go down.

Mom please flush it all away.

I wanna see it go right in and down.

I wanna watch it go right in.

Watch you flush it all awaaaaaaaaay.

Time to bring it down again.

Don't just call me pessimist.

Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't

Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it come down.

(Suck it down. 2x)

Flush it down.

As tekcop pointed out, "the end" has been predicted by people as far back as people can remember. Folks of a particular time will always point out "signs" that the end is coming and blah blah blah.

I think these people have problems dealing with the fact that the world will go on WITHOUT them! The world can't go on without me. The buck has got to stop with me, right? Wrong. It'll go on. Will it be better or worse, who knows? But it will go on.

Earth blows up along with the rest of the universe when a Tralfamadorian test pilot presses a starter button.

Duh.

Damn, SS, I wish you came around more often. Drop on by at The Pit sometime.

Pff, a Slaughterhouse Five reference is too easy.

Oh yeah, the world isn't ending in 2012, it's just going to end as we know it. Time is cyclical, and we need to stop relying on numbers and, as someone on Coast to Coast AM said last night, "stop standing too close to time to see the big picture."

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Time's an arbitrary human concept represented by numbers. How is time not?

A lot of the mainline Protestant church's just view Revalation's as a parable about the persecution of Christians under the Roman Empire, so I'm not to world about that as oppossed to man made tuff like glorbal warming or a nuclear exchange.

http://www.projectmerlin.com/

"The code was custom designed by a team of SDI/StarWars physicists to capture moments of what Guercio and Hart like to call "heightened-eventfulness." These uncommon moments of future activity, where important events will likely occur, are generated by mathematically capturing a particularly propitious past moment, like the beginning of a relationship or the start of a new job and applying a precise formula of cyclic intervals to that past 'frozen' moment.

The result is a graphical image of all the future moments, when echoes of the original moment will again be heard. MERLIN Timetraks® are a lot like pages of sheet music from a very unique and one-of-a-kind symphony that can predict the timetable of future events. The Timetraks® for Friday night's Coast program, and instructions for reading them can be viewed/downloaded at the project's Timetrak® Library."

Okay, so there's a great degree of math involved in figuring out the cycles, but time is still a lot more than hours and days and years and all that.

Guest lsw_gordon
If there is one thing I hate thinking about, it's the end of the world.Of course, many people talk about how 2012 ends in some sort of calender year and that the world will be coming to an end. Now me, I'm not really affiliated with anyone, but this is one thing that bothers the hell out of me.

What do you all think?

Hi....Im not a christian but somehow I think those predictions from bible or experts really giving me creeps. However even it is, they are just predictions right? And even if some of the predictions come true, we should be prepared for the worse and I think with the advent of sophiscated scientific stuffs, we could escape from this might come catastrophe...I reckon. Since in bible says that Jesus will be back in 2012 and before he does, a major event should come first, right? But since we are god sons, how is that possible, it might be some depth in what the verse really means.....(sorry if i meant something wrong or bad about those christians here). Maybe what is said in the verse may mean other than just comets or asteriods collinding the earth...?

However, generally, If we are prepared well and faced those obstacles with will and optimism, we can really make it through our last breadth and not really end as said in 2012.....We can live over 2012 and more......just like those troublemakers who spread the word of Y2K before millienum....and didnt happen

Edited by lsw_gordon

Slayer, on the oil thing, nobody with a brain is saying that we are going to "run out" of oil. The purported problem is global demand outpacing global supply. We have seen the effects before of a drop in supply (70s oil crisis). It is undeniably true that at some point, global oil production will "peak", and, after that, some sort of adjustment will necessarily occur. The debate is, I suppose, regarding the nature of those adjustments (living in caves or driving tricked out hybrid cars?).

Edited by bigolsmitty

Say what you will; fossil fuels are finite.  I still believe this will be a humongous problem in our lifetime.

Then explain to me why. Because by any stretch of any sort of analysis, your claim falls on its face.

If supply tightens, prices will rise. Higher prices increase incentives to develop alternatives (which we are seeing already).

Is there any precedent for such a massive restructuring of an economy (both the global & American economies)? I mean basically our entire economy IS oil. Food, medicine, national defense--it all runs on oil. If supply tightens sooner rather than later, I am afraid that the American oil economy will be woefully unprepared for the shock, given the paltry funding and research toward alternative fuels thus far.

Furthermore, I disagree that the transition to lower oil production will be painless. World leaders are aware of the problem.

By some estimates, there will be an average of two-percent annual growth in global oil demand over the years ahead, along with, conservatively, a three-percent natural decline in production from existing reserves.That means by 2010 we will need on the order of an additional 50 million barrels a day.

-Dick Cheney

This is coming from the guy probably most responsible for US energy policy who also plays a major role in US foreign policy.

Because leaders are aware of the impening crunch, the world has been engaging in "oil wars" now for about 30 years. China and Russia are trying to gobble up oil fields wherever they can and using their UN clout to protect their oil producing, human rights abusing hook up countries. Also, even if the US successfully transitions to a post-oil economy, China is just about to hit its stride and have MASSIVE energy demands.

I hope your optimism is well founded, but I am less sure.

Edited by bigolsmitty

This guy put it well:

"Can't We Use a Combination of

[Alternative Fuels] to Replace Oil?"

Absolutely. Despite their individual shortcomings, it is still possible for the world economy to run on a basket of alternative sources of energy - so long as we immediately get all of the following:

1.A few dozen technological breakthroughs;

2.Unprecedented political will and bipartisan cooperation;

3.Tremendous international collaboration;

4.Massive amounts of investment capital;

5.Fundamental reforms to the banking system;

6.No interference from the oil-and-gas industries;

7.About 25-50 years of general peace and prosperity to

retrofit the world's $45 trillion dollar per year economy,

including transportation and telecommunication

networks, manufacturing industries, agricultural

systems, universities, hospitals, etc. , to run on these

new sources of energy.

8.A generation of engineers, scientists, and economists

trained to run a global economy powered by new

sources of energy.

9.Rational elected officials and capable government

appointees to manage the generation long transition.

If we get all of the above, we might be able to get the energy equivalent of 3-5 billion barrels of oil per year from alternative sources.

Edited by bigolsmitty

There are so many theories and ideas of how and when the world is coming to an end it's not even funny. People say the UN is where the anti-Christ comes, the Catholics are an evil cult, someone's ham sandwich has to portray a reflection of this or that...hell...I'm sure there's one out there that might consider this board to be a sign of the end times. All I know is I'm not worried about when the world comes to an end. If it happens, it happens.

Guest ksimisk

This thread takes me back to my christian upbringing and if memory serves the end is something like this,

1. First the Roman Empire is refounded - The EU was started by the treaty of Rome, so thats one down.

2. The Anti-christ will rule this new empire - well good news despite currency and potential taxes soon we have no permanant EU president yet.

3. In order to put the Roman empire back together we need places like Turkey and North Africa as well as Iraq and other middle eastern countries - well we do have a war in Iraq, Turkey is after EU membership and I imagine Israel and Jordan will follow.

4. The Anti-christ is supposed to bring peace to the Middle East - very important this one as the meeting point for 3 major religions it would make him popular with Jews, Christians(The West) and Muslim (Middle East/North Africa) countries.

5. An increase in major natural disasters is supposed to happen - we might be in that right now.

6. A new power is supposed to rise in the east and contest the new Roman Empire - people used to think Japan but it seems likely that China will take that role.

7. America will colapse - See any oil predictions to see the chances of the american economy going south.

8. Then lots of religous problems - Influx of people from 2nd/3rd world into major 1st world countries leading to internal friction - Paris riots, rise of national parties in Britain and other EU countries, after all a dictatorship works better for the Anti-christ to rule.

9. Then Jews and Christians can expect some problems - Depends on whether you believe christians leave before things crumble or after or prehaps half way through.

10. So either 7 years of bad stuff, or 3 1/2 years of good followed by 3 1/2 of bad.

And thats why I left the church, its a little intense. - It all sounds like fun, of course if religion is wrong then maybe the'll just be a dino style mass extinction so watch the skys for any large rocks ;)

God has to wipe out catholism before wiping out the sinners?

Catholics and sinners are two different things?

OHHHH YES I WENT THERE

EDIT:

God has to wipe out catholism before wiping out the sinners?

If he took step 1 there'd be no need for step 2 BAH-ZING!

Well, I guess I can never accuse anyone else of having a stale act. I gotta check the dates on posts.

Edited by The Czech Republic