GreatWhiteNope

One and Only "ECW: One Night Stand" Thread

Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"

• Good
    • Mediocre
    • Bad

I knew the second Eddie became his on-screen heel persona that it wasn't going to be a great match. If time was allocated, they didnt have enough of it, and they just looked like they wanted to give it 8 minutes and get out of there.

I'm not sure if people are blind or just being pussies, but I'll say it: Benoit vs Guerrero was fucking BAD.

It wasn't bad... but it was just a Raw TV match when they could and should have had a classic.

I'll go further then. It was really, REALLY bad. Loved the show, though.

It was bad, but it wasn't REALLY bad. It wasn't Jackie Gayda's first match bad, but it was two guys who just wanted to get it over and done with bad.

When ECW was in business, I never bought one their PPV's but I felt like I needed to get this. I thought it would better than the HHH show and it was. Bring back ECW, there are plenty of indy type guys out there and established talent out there. From what I saw on television, that was a New York crowd. This was great... it ain't about stars but it is something else.

Guest TroughOfMantaur

Benoit and Eddy looked ready to bring their A game at the beginning, but the crowd sucked the life out of the match by totally ignoring them and chanting at Edge. When Eddy hit the aisle and looked legit upset early on, I had a feeling we weren't gonna get a good match out of them. Even if they had a 5 star classic, I wouldn't have been able to get into it since there was zero crowd heat.

Guest *KNK*

When the crowd ignores you for the first 5 minutes for a guy in the crowd and are given only 8-10 minutes, why would they bothered, they knew the rest of the show would deliver.

Its rare yes for those 2 to pack it in but they did live to let it past.

Guest *KNK*

Great, 25 minutes after show and we are already bitching about the one weak spot of the ppv.

The only things I didn't like:

-Benoit/Guerrero was weak.

-Thought the WWE/ECW stuff was kinda weak, but it served it's purpose.

That's it. That's my only 2 beefs.

This was the best PPV since who the fuck knows. I don't even want to watch WWE anymore.

So, yeah, thoughts and stuff.

The Good

- Balcony moonsaults are fun.

- TANAKA VS AWESOME. FUCK. I thought Tanaka was dead as dead could be when they did the reverse powerbomb spot off the top rope. *This* close to being impaled on a table leg. I demand that Tanaka be brought in as a part of JBL's Cabinet as Minister of Foreign Relations.

- Enter Sandman.

- Jericho's Tiger Suplex on Storm. Jerico's vest and tights were choice too.

- CATFIGHT~!

- Heyman blowing the roof off the place.

The Bad

- Rey/Nicho was pretty whatever, aside from the dirty guillotine legdrop across the railing and the sweet 'rana at the end.

- The aforementioned Benoit/Eddy shittiness.

- No Raven.

- Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much WWE involvement. The editing was straight out of a WWE show and they were devoting time to the Smackdown guys when THEY HADN'T EVEN SHOWN UP YET.

- Austin putting himself over the entire group of WWE guys in the balcony and ordering everybody in the ring around.

Yeah they really should have just done Eddie/Malenko there and gave Benoit something else to do. It wasn't really BAD I didn't think but the crowd was distracted with the Crusader jobbers and thus they did a lot of slow mat stuff. I bet Deano is kicking himself for missing this PPV.

There were just brilliant bits of continuity on this show though. Stuff like Rhino attacking RVD, which is exactly what I would have done since the last ECW PPV had them facing off. Then the Sabu save and reunion with RVD...I don't believe they had shared a ring since early 2000, right when Sabu did a heel turn on RVD and teamed with Awesome to do a beatdown. It warmed my heart, I love those crazy fucks.

Dreamer was a man tonight as well. He took the cheese grater to the head, he took the 3D, then took the powerbomb through the burning table. And yes, I loved the Tommy/Beulah moment all the more knowing that they are married in real life as well. And that too was continuity at its finest since the Duds gave her the 3D.

My lord was Joey Styles on his game tonight or what? The man shot all over everything, told it like it is, trashed Bischoff, trashed bad gimmicks like Simon Dean, badmouthed Mike Awesome for leaving ECW something fierce, only to then get caught up in his fabulous match with Tanaka. I'm not sure if it was quite as good as their old ECW matches but it was damn great.

And of course, what more needs to be said about Bischoff getting his ass handed to him? Usually when announcers say "This is one of the greatest things I've EVER seen" it's hyperbole. Not in this case. This was the shitkicking I think everyone has wanted Bischoff to take since he joined the NWO in 1996, but since he ran WCW he always booked himself to look way too good (the Zbyszko match, Flair feud, etc). For that and his attitude towards ECW I just loved seeing him get the shit beat out of him.

Great PPV tonight!

I loved this show...I bought it, I'm going to download it and will be getting the DVD. Anyone who didn't like it expected too much or were just going to piss all over it no matter what happened.

To counter the talk of the worst match, Tanaka-Awesome was fucking balls out. I had expected Awesome to not give a shit, but both men really killed each other for our perverse enjoyment. The show was struggling in the middle, but that match really blew the roof off the building and got the crowd right back into everything.

I could watch Tanaka and Awesome hit each other with chairs and put each other through tables all day.

I'm not blind either.

Benoit/Eddie flat out sucked, and sucked hard. It was just "a match", nothing special, nothing that mattered. That said, I still LOVED the match, because of what the crowd was doing the entire time.

That's the thing. Even when I didn't like what was being presented on the PPV (which wasn't a lot at all), I ended up loving it because of the great crowd.

Way to go Jericho, for not only jobbing, but actually going back to his ECW self, and actually working his ass off for that match.

Just look at the results of the poll in this thread. Hell, there are STILL 145 people reading this topic, and the PPV has been off for almost forty minutes now!

I'm not blind either.

Benoit/Eddie flat out sucked, and sucked hard. It was just "a match", nothing special, nothing that mattered. That said, I still LOVED the match, because of what the crowd was doing the entire time.

That's the thing. Even when I didn't like what was being presented on the PPV (which wasn't a lot at all), I ended up loving it because of the great crowd.

Way to go Jericho, for not only jobbing, but actually going back to his ECW self, and actually working his ass off for that match.

Just look at the results of the poll in this thread. Hell, there are STILL 145 people reading this topic, and the PPV has been off for almost forty minutes now!

I was very impressed. I was terrified it was going to be WWF-ized, but I didn't think it was, maaaaaybe the ending. I would have loved to have seen Paul E clobber Bisch, but, fortunately, Bisch did get his in the end :D :D

Good show all around, IMO.

I'm not sure if people are blind or just being pussies, but I'll say it: Benoit vs Guerrero was fucking BAD.

It was not fucking BAD.

Yes, it was. Nothing stood out. NOTHING.

I'm gonna have to agree. Looked like they were going through the motions.

Was it weak? Sure. Fucking BAD? Not a chance. Orlando Jordan vs. Heidenreich is fucking BAD. Benoit/Guerrero tonight wasn't.

It was "there is no point to this match" bad. Which is the trend with the WWE and Benoit/Guerrero. Their matches go like this - sequences for the first few minutes, then they go straight to the finish and act tired after 5 minutes. There is no "content", there is little pacing, it's just random moves. Jericho/Storm was similar, but they were able to get more from it by doing some neat counter wrestling and throwing in some payback spots.

Most of the matches were way too short. The 3 way dance should have gotten more time. There was no need for Sabu/Rhyno. Rey/Psi just sucked and no amount of time would have changed the fact that they had no chemistry - which is an amazing thing to consider.

RVD's promo, and JBL's promo were great. But it wasn't until Awesome/Tanaka that the show really got going. Before then, it was pretty disjointed where they built momentum and then lost it. Awesome/Tanaka, as expected because they had nothing to lose, blew the roof off the place. Heymans promo was fucking amazing. Those were the two main reasons I bought this PPV - Awesome/Tanaka and Paul Heyman, and it delivered in spades. The main event was great (ENTER SANDMAN!!!) until Austin came out, which pretty much ruined the finish. Overall, good show, it wasn't 100% genuine ECW (gah WWE production!), but it was enough for me tonight and certainly more "real" than the shit the WWE has been kicking out for years now. It was something a lil different, and certainly a change of pace, which we'll probably never get again.

Guest Ronixis

Best PPV since XX and X-7.

The first 4 matches should have been better- but they were great never the less. I think that the Beniot match was not too bad, but they will have to make them BOTH the last 2 contenders for the number one contenders match for a future smackdown title shot. They can do better than this.

Sabu and Rhyno was great.

BUT WOW ON Tanaka and Awsome! Thats a FMW match that I miss man. They both rocked the house!

Paul E is the best. I am sorry. I love when he makes punk ass bitches sweat at the truth (MATT FUCKING HARDY!, HHH WOULD NOT WORK TUESDAY!)

The Tag Team... EC'F'N'W!

The final braw- I expected a war, but getting back at Bischoff was the best!

BEST PPV in YEARS!

I hope the champs learn something for this...

I had no worries about that match since I knew they would fucking kill each other. Hell, I didn't expect Awesome to bust out the sitdown powerbowb off the top rope and yet he even did it THROUGH a table.

People who are criticizing matches are missing the point in a way though. This was a show designed to exhibit the ECW style, thus guys only got a certain amount of time and all that.

Oh I guess this is a minor quibble but I wanted Taz to choke Angle out in the ring with everyone stopping and looking at it. Out on the floor it didn't quite have the same impact.

Guest *KNK*

When RRR gives a WWE show credit and considerable praise, you know they did something right.

Really the whole show was just a breath of fresh air. Damn near every WWE PPV just blends together as the same old crap they've been doing for half a decade, it's good to finally have something different presented for a change.

Did they ever show the entire Roadkill/DD segment, or did they just totally fuck it up and never go back to it? If they went back to it, I totally missed it.