TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

Warner Bros. spent a shitoad on marketing the movie, so I'm sure the budget is north of 200.

Compared to other blockbusters and their openings (The Hulk, X-2, Spidey), Batman's opening was below that.

No one is saying it did poorly, but it wasn't the blockbuster people were expecting.

Okay-

Batman and Robin made 42 million

Batman Forever made 52 million

Batman Returns made 47 million

Batman did 42 million.

Batman Begins did 48 million.

Now, that's why it's disappointment.

:huh:

Does the other $25 million "Batman Begins" made so far somehow not count?

Is the other $25 million not as good because it was earned on a Wednesday and Thursday, instead of a Friday?

Maybe if they'd released the movie on a Friday, they'd have done better weekend business, since people wouldn't have rushed out and saw it Wednesday.

Botton line: $73 million is $73 million.

Look at BB's opening to other movies that opened over 5 days- it's way down the list.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/5day.htm

That chart cuts off at number 38, creating the illusion that it only did better than 3 other movies.

I guess I see your point now, but this is still stupid. How the fuck did Hollywood get to the point where it considered a movie that makes half its budget back in less than one week be considered a disappointment?

Hollywood movie executives sound like the kind of pricks that yell at their kids for getting an A instead of an A+.

$73 million is a shitload of money, and more money than most films make their entire run. When you add another 5 weeks of box office, plus DVD sales, TV rights, and merchandising, there's really no reason to complain.

How does that in anyway help your point?

There have been more than 38 movies released. Sure, 35 movies beat it, but think of the thousands of movies that weren't even on the list.

$73 million is NOT a small amount of money for movie to make in 5 days.

That's why the list was of the top 5 day grosses, not EVERY 5 day gross.

No one is saying Batman Begins bombed, but that it's opening was underwhelming and maybe slightly disappointing.

That's why the list was of the top 5 day grosses, not EVERY 5 day gross.

No one is saying Batman Begins bombed, but that it's opening was underwhelming and maybe slightly disappointing.

Oh, but people ARE saying it bombed, due to the ridicules expectations that the hack entertainment reports of the world have subjected us to.

Guest El Satanico

WB is quoted as being pleased with the number and that it's close to their expectation.

Everything else said is meaningless.

I was about to say, why was this thread focused on her to begin with.

Direct to DVD sounds accurate.

Robot Jerk is really bad at arguing this.

The thread is about the weekend box office, of which The Perfect Man was a part of.

No one is stopping you from discussing anything else

For the record, I wasn't EXCITED to see BB, the trailer was underwheling, as were the commercials.

But the movie itself...man, I want to see it again TODAY, pre-order the DVD and get a lawn chair for my place in line for the sequel.

Dames

How does that in anyway help your point?

There have been more than 38 movies released. Sure, 35 movies beat it, but think of the thousands of movies that weren't even on the list.

$73 million is NOT a small amount of money for movie to make in 5 days.

When a movie that gets the hype that Batman Begins got does worse than Jurassic Park III and the Hulk, it underperformed. Yes, Pirates of the Caribbean was an enormous success and is directly beneath Begins, but it wasn't nearly as anticipated as Begins and it retained a large portion of its audience throughout the rest of the summer until about Labour Day. Whether Batman will do the same is still to be determined.

Guest SP-1

This might be the dumbest debate about a movie.

It's not a disappointment to WB so forget anyone else who doesn't like the figures. Because check this out:

WB IS THE ONLY ENTITY THAT MATTERS when it comes to the future of this Franchise. The old Bat-Movies? Sucked compared to this. They're history. This is a success monetarily no matter how you look at it up to this point, and this is a success as far as maintaining the spirit of the source material.

And I'm with Dames. I'm qutting my job to get in line for this sequel. Lucas's got nothing on this.

I'm shocked they spent 100 million to market Batman Begins, considering the TV ads and trailers really didn't even make the movie seem all that compelling.

As I've been saying in the Batman thread, this movie is a hard sell to a mass audience (as in gigantic box office total). It doesn't have a notable villain that fans are familiar with. In fact it struck me as a solid graphic novel on Batman's origin aimed at geeky fanboys, rather than a definitive "This is what happened, no more arguments" origin like you see in Spider-Man. Stuff like Bruce Wayne travelling to Tibet to train with Ra's Al Ghul isn't what I'd have in mind when thinking of Batman's origin...it's stuff seemingly from a graphic novel that 10 people would buy.

I think to some extent people are Batmanned out. The last couple of Schumacher films, the Catwoman fiasco last year...no one was just DYING for another Batman movie. In fact I think Batman and Robin being so horrid is making this film look better than it really is. Good film, but I found it more of an interpretation of Batman's origin rather than something definitive.

I thnk batman begins will have some ok box office legs though. I get the sense people are just wary of it because of the last batman movies and the not-so-exciting marketing, but if word gets out that its great (as it seems to from both people who saw it and critics), more people will come to it.

Wonder how much of a dropoff there is? It would be great if it could stay 45% or under.

As long as it makes enough in the long haul to warrant a sequel, I"m happy.

This might be the dumbest debate about a movie.

I don't see the problem with debating whether a 70 mil opening is a disappointment.

It's not a disappointment to WB so forget anyone else who doesn't like the figures. Because check this out:

If Batman doesn't hold up, this could mean less money for the sequels.

doesn't have a notable villain that fans are familiar with.

They don't really tell you who the villains even are in the ads.

I think they're doing a sequel, but it won't have Katie Holmes.

Guest El Satanico
I'm shocked they spent 100 million to market Batman Begins, considering the TV ads and trailers really didn't even make the movie seem all that compelling.

I don't believe that has ever been confirmed, alot of people just repeat it like it's a fact. I think the only site to post that number is IMDB, and well I don't even have to say why that's meaningless.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
NEWSFLASH: Compare Batman Begins to other blockbusters or even other Batman movies. It's not that great.

NEWSFLASH: Compare Batman Begins to other Batman movies and you get a result you haven't seen in a long time... A GOOD MOVIE.

Wow, you guys are throwing around "dissapointment" and "letdown" far too much.

The problem is that everybody expected this to be in Spider-Man or X-Men range, and you should've known from the start... it wouldn't be.

Strong word of month could provide BB with legs, and in the end it'll prove to be a profit. I must've spoken to at least 15 people who've all said that they would see it again and recommend it to everybody.

THE WB knew that the last time they focused on villians and name value... they got Batman & Robin. Besides to the average movie-goer and not the hardcore fanbase, when you think of villians you think Catwoman, Joker, Penguin, not Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul.

In the WB's eyes, this has been a huge success (Which it has) and they've gotten enough positive feedback/returns to warrant to a sequel and possibly more beyond that. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Guest El Satanico

I doubt any movie not named Star Wars will do as well as people not involved in the movie expect. Even Episode III isn't doing as well as many predicted, as it looks to finish with under 400mill.

FF will do better than BB for friday-sunday. The trailers make it look like a decent fun entertaining movie ala Spider-Man, so it'll do well with casual moviegoers and kids. My 5 year old nephew loved the trailor that aired during Episode III and said he wants to see it, so it has the attention of the childrens.

I don't believe that has ever been confirmed, alot of people just repeat it like it's a fact. I think the only site to post that number is IMDB, and well I don't even have to say why that's meaningless.

It wouldn't surprise me though. Marketing budgets are never fully released though.

NEWSFLASH: Compare Batman Begins to other Batman movies and you get a result you haven't seen in a long time... A GOOD MOVIE.

I'm not debating the quality of any Batman movies, I've only seen one.

I'm just saying that box-office wise, it didn't do as well as the other four.

The problem is that everybody expected this to be in Spider-Man or X-Men range, and you should've known from the start... it wouldn't be.

I don't think it was a stretch to expect the movie to be in the 80s or possibly break the 90s. It was supposed to be the movie that finally got the box office out of its slump, and it didn't.

THE WB knew that the last time they focused on villians and name value... they got Batman & Robin. Besides to the average movie-goer and not the hardcore fanbase, when you think of villians you think Catwoman, Joker, Penguin, not Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul.

Well Batman and Robin would've been a disaster no matter how you slice it.

I think WB should've at least done something to establish the villains. I want to see Batman, but again, I just don't have the anticipation I had like I did for other event movies.

Monday's Box Office is out-

Batman Begins fell about 58% from Sunday to Monday, while Perfect Man dropped 33%.

Other summer blockbusters Sunday to Monday drops:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith: 56%

Star Wars: 58%

Harry Potter: 65%

I-Robot: 57%

Bourne Supremacy: 56%

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

And this means?

It's Monday.

Pefect Man dropped 33% because it opened with a low number to begin with.

People want to know whether Batman Begins will have good legs, looking at how it does midweek is a good indicator of that.

That's why I also showed how it's drop was compared to other summer movies.

Nobody is debating the actual quality of the film. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to this week. But before its release it was expected to do Harry Potter, Spider-Man, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings money, and it clearly isn't. Now we come to the big question, why did Spider-Man do so much better? And like I said, I just think that based on Batman & Robin and Catwoman that WB has a big image problem right now and that it will take a lot of time to overcome that. We know because we get updates on the Net, and we can tell that things are heading in the right direction (finally) for things like this and Superman, but Joe Moviegoer doesn't know these things. It will take word of mouth to get him in the theatre because of WB's terrible track record. Meanwhile X3 will probably do better even though it is looking terrible because the previous X-Men films were good.

As for Fantastic Four, I've said all along that it will be a fantastic flop, and I've seen nothing yet to indicate it won't be. Batman Begins didn't have great trailers, but Fantastic Four has bad ones. Going by the trailers it looks more like LXG than X-Men. It might end up being good, but the marketing sure isn't unless they have absolutely nothing to work with, which is what I fear.

Guest El Satanico

I still don't understand why some people think the FF trailers look bad. The first trailer wasn't very good, but each trailer after that was an improvement and the theatrical trailer is good.

regarding all the B.O. compared to previous Batman movies, right now Batman Begins is strongly ahead of the other Batman movies (slightly ahead of Batman Forever)

Batman Begins: $79,524,398

Batman and Robin: $55,845,233

Batman Forever: $72,177,183

Batman Returns: $66,242,712

Batman: $63,783,478