TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Batman SE DVDs coming

Guest El Satanico

As long as you're not blaming anyone else for you owning two copies, then fine.

I'm looking forward to these discs (maybe not B&R unless the somehow replace Schwarzenegger with Patrick Stewart (who was the original choice)) I have the first film on DVD already and the picture quality sucks. Now being a Batman Forever mark all I can say is that I've been waiting for a extended version of this film since I first heard the term Director's Cut. One of the scenes if this is true is going to be a whole new opening sequence of Two-Face escaping Arkham which was referenced in the video game and the strategy guide which mentioned it cut from the film.

And I still want a Mask of the Phantasm SE. In my opinion, it's a lot better than Burton and Schumacher's movies.

You're not alone, and I think it's better overall than Begins, but since Timm/Dini and crew borrowed a lot from Year One, they don't deserve *full* credit. They'd probably be comfortable with doing commentary since they've already done commentary tracks on the box sets. I'd be up for it, even double-dipping.

I think its actually "Batman: Year Two" that they borrowed from. The Phantasm is pretty damn similar to the Reaper.

The scene in the building under construction? Bruce's early vigilantism prior to donning the costume? Those are borrowed from Y1.

Y2 was out of print for a while but I see that apparently it's available again. I'll have to pick it up, but from what I'm reading, the story doesn't really match up even if the Phantasm is *kind of like* the Reaper.

Guest Askewniverse

Looks like the director's cut of Batman Forever has been scrapped. Specs for the SE DVDs, which will be released on October 18th.

Batman Begins and the 1943 movie serial collection will also be released on the same day.

batmansedvd.jpg

Batman: Two-Disc Special Edition

- Digitally Remastered Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer

- English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track

- English DTS 5.1 Surround Track

- Audio Commentary with Director Tim Burton

- Legends of the Dark Knight: The History of Batman Documentary

- Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight Parts 1, 2 & 3

- Beyond Batman Documentary Gallery

- Visualizing Gotham: The Production Design of Batman

- Building the Batmobile

- Those Wonderful Toys: The Props and Gadgets of Batman

- Designing the Batsuit

- From Jack to Joker

- Nocturnal Overtures: The Music of Batman

- Batdance, Partyman and Scandalous Music Videos by Prince

- The Heroes and The Villains Profile Galleries

- Batman: The Complete Robin Storyboard Sequence

- On the Set with Bob Kane Featurette

- Batman Theatrical Trailer

batmanreturnssedvd.jpg

Batman Returns: Two-Disc Special Edition

- Audio Commentary with Director Tim Burton

- The Bat, The Cat and The Penguin Cast Recollections

- Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight Part 4

- Beyond Batman Documentary Gallery featuring:

- Gotham City Revisited: The Production Design of Batman Returns

- Sleek, Sexy and Sinister: The Costumes of Batman Returns

- Making Up the Penguin

- Assembling the Arctic Army

- Bats, Mattes and Dark Nights: The Visual Effects of Batman

- Face to Face Music Video by Siouxsie and the Banshees

- Batman Returns Theatrical Trailer

batmanforeversedvd.jpg

Batman Forever: Two-Disc Special Edition

- Audio Commentary with Director Joel Schumacher

- Riddle Me This: Why is Batman Forever?

- Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight Part 5

- Out of the Shadows: The Production Design of Batman Forever

- The Many Faces of Gotham City

- Knight Moves: The Stunts of Batman Forever

- Imaging Forever: The Visual Effects of Batman Forever

- Scoring Forever: The Music of Batman Forever

- Kiss From a Rose Music Video by Seal

- Selection of Additional Scenes

- Batman: Forever Theatrical Trailer

batmanrobinsedvd.jpg

Batman & Robin: Two-Disc Special Edition

- Audio Commentary with Director Joel Schumacher

- Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight Part 6

- Additional Scene: Alfred's Lost Love

- Bigger, Bolder, Brighter: The Production Design of Batman & Robin

- Maximum Overdrive: The Vehicles of Batman & Robin

- Dressed to Thrill: The Costumes of Batman & Robin

- Frozen Freaks and Femme Fatales: The Makeup of Batman & Robin

- Freeze Frame: The Visual Effects of Batman & Robin

- The End is the Beginning is the End Music Video by Smashing Pumpkins

- Foolish Games Music Video by Jewel

- Gotham City Music Video by R. Kelly

- Look Into My Eyes Music Video by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony

- Batman & Robin Theatrical Trailer

kinda off topic question;

what's the deal with the different animation styles in the Batman cartoons? One looks really good and is all detailed, but all of a sudden it sucks. What happened?

what's the deal with the different animation styles in the Batman cartoons? One looks really good and is all detailed, but all of a sudden it sucks. What happened?

If you mean Batman: TAS/Adventures of Batman and Robin VS.

New Adventures AKA Gotham Knights...

I think it's simply a case of same writers, different animators. Plus, they kind of felt like "reinventing" some of the character designs. I do know that most of the animation for the older (TAS) episodes were done by foreign animation studios, and I *think* the newer animation (New Adventures/Gotham Knights, Superman, and Justice League) is done in the US.

I'm assuming you don't mean "The Batman" which is entirely different. None of the TAS/GK peeps worked on it except for Glen Murakami.

When the Gotham Knights/New Adventures DVD set comes out, perhaps they'll spill clearer details.

And I still want a Mask of the Phantasm SE. In my opinion, it's a lot better than Burton and Schumacher's movies.

You're not alone, and I think it's better overall than Begins, but since Timm/Dini and crew borrowed a lot from Year One, they don't deserve *full* credit. They'd probably be comfortable with doing commentary since they've already done commentary tracks on the box sets. I'd be up for it, even double-dipping.

I think its actually "Batman: Year Two" that they borrowed from. The Phantasm is pretty damn similar to the Reaper.

The scene in the building under construction? Bruce's early vigilantism prior to donning the costume? Those are borrowed from Y1.

Y2 was out of print for a while but I see that apparently it's available again. I'll have to pick it up, but from what I'm reading, the story doesn't really match up even if the Phantasm is *kind of like* the Reaper.

Ain't no "kind of" about it, homey. The Phantasm = The Reaper.

Batman Returns: Two-Disc Special Edition

- Face to Face Music Video by Siouxsie and the Banshees

SOLD!

"Ain't no 'kind of' about it, homey. The Phantasm = The Reaper."

Phantasm didn't have the backstory as a vigilante prior to Batman, was upholding his sick brand of justice and not simply seeking revenge on a set groupe of people.

Also didn't thrash Bruce within an inch of his life, force him to go to lengths he never imagined himself doing, taking up a gun, allying with criminals, make Gordon practically turn on him, etc.

The main similarities are that he was a vigilante who killed, and at first his work was mistaken for Batman's; some similar concepts with vastly different execution.

Plus the less detailed designs were easier to animate AND they matched up with Superman: TAS.

Ah, kind of forgot that they were doing both at around the same time.

Rachel Caspian (a woman who Bruce Wayne once proposed to who's father died) later became the Reaper in 1991's "Batman: Full Circle", while Andrea Beaumont (a woman who Bruce Wayne once proposed to who's father was murdered) became the Phantasm.The subplot of Wayne choosing love over crime-fighting only to eventually loose the girl and go back to crime fighting are the same in both "Year 2" and MOTP. The similarities are very striking, but I had to go back and look at Year 2 to see the differences. I actually saw MOTP before I read "Year 2", and couldn't help but notice the strong parrallels when I finally read it.

As long as I'm on the subject...looking through the "Year 2" trade really showed me what a hack Todd McFarlane is (I don't think McFarlane improved much in the years after "Year 2" was published). Alan Davis's art trumps McFarlane's in every way, and yet, which is the fan favorite millionaire?

You must be talking about The Batman cartoon currently on Cartoon Network with the the rastafarian Joker.

joker320.jpg

Guest SpiderFan
Anyone know who has the best deal on the set?

Not sure about down in the States, but up here in Canada Wal-Mart has the best price. They have it for $57, while Zellers has it for $68. Future Shop is smoking something strong and selling it for $90.

Target:

Batman Begins Deluxe - $19.99

Batman Anthology box set - $49.99

And you know, I wish we could see Harley Quinn in real human form. That would be fantastic, possibly.

harley.jpg

The new Batman sets, all five of them, are just great by the way. I especially love the Anthology box, it's pretty cool and different than most collection boxes.

Unless the Batman and Robin commentary consists of Schumacher saying 'Oh my god what the fuck is that?! I'm so sorry' for 2 hours, I ain't buyin.

LOL

The only redeeming thing to Batman and Robin is this:

This piece of crap was in theaters when I was working at one, and my one friend wanted to see this. So, despite my warnings, we went to see it for free one night. Now we were seated behind this family with a little brat who was always making noise and such things that demonspawn do. Anyway, there was this scene where the chick who was Batgirl was getting in her outfit, and right after these several close-up shots of her BUTT/boobs/etc., without missing a beat, the kid asks one of his parents "Is that Robin?"

My friend and I just bust out laughing right then and there...

Guest jenzie

looking forward to getting these, as i have all four on widescreen vhs ..... AND batman forever and batman & robin in fullscreen video :bonk:

but .....

why haven't i seen the music video for "arms of orion" on the BATMAN SE DVD?

Kind of off topic, but does anyone remember the Batman burger (I think it was called something else) that McDonalds released during either Forever or Batman & Robin? It was a triple cheeseburger with some different other ingrediants on the same kind of bun they used for McRibs, etc. Don't ask why I just remembered this...guess I'm wishin it was back!

Kind of off topic, but does anyone remember the Batman burger (I think it was called something else) that McDonalds released during either Forever or Batman & Robin? It was a triple cheeseburger with some different other ingrediants on the same kind of bun they used for McRibs, etc. Don't ask why I just remembered this...guess I'm wishin it was back!

I don't remember the exact burger, but I remember from Batman Forever they did the huge McDonald's crossover. I remember they had a burger and the glass mugs, as well as the line early on "I'll get Drive-Thru" prominantly being featured in commercials for McDonald's.

Now that I think about it, Taco Bell had the promotion for Batman & Robin.

To stay on topic, I just love these SEs. I hadn't bought any of them before on DVD just because I was waiting for the SEs and they were definately worth the wait. From the box and DVD menu right down to the features, this set is pretty sweet.

You knew Batman and Robin was a dead movie when the henchmen were on rollerblades and Batman broke out the Batman credit card to try to pay for a date with Poison Ivy.

Forever I didn't mind. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. It was lukewarm average. Returns was decent only because of Walken and Michelle, Devito should be punched in the mouth for his role.

I don't remember the exact burger, but I remember from Batman Forever they did the huge McDonald's crossover. I remember they had a burger and the glass mugs, as well as the line early on "I'll get Drive-Thru" prominantly being featured in commercials for McDonald's.

Now that I think about it, Taco Bell had the promotion for Batman & Robin.

To stay on topic, I just love these SEs. I hadn't bought any of them before on DVD just because I was waiting for the SEs and they were definately worth the wait. From the box and DVD menu right down to the features, this set is pretty sweet.

This is my penchant for random fucking knowledge but the cross promotional tie-ins went in the following order:

1989 (Batman): Taco Bell, I believe these were plastic tumblers that had Bat Graphics with info like specs on the Batmobile, Batwing, Batman and Gotham

1992 (Batman Returns): McDonalds, Cups like the previous promotion, but with mini frisbee Bat-Disc lids as well as Happy Meal toy vehicles, the one I remember most was the splitting Batmobile launcher.

1995 (Batman Forever): McDonalds, The chisled glasses of Batman, Robin, Two-Face and the Riddler. I don't remember the burger and I believe that there was a Happy Meal toy tie-in too.

1997 (Batman & Robin): Taco Bell, the cross promotion comes full circle, however there were no cups, or toys but a cheesy collect, match and win game for prizes.

You knew Batman and Robin was a dead movie when the henchmen were on rollerblades and Batman broke out the Batman credit card to try to pay for a date with Poison Ivy.

Forever I didn't mind. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. It was lukewarm average. Returns was decent only because of Walken and Michelle, Devito should be punched in the mouth for his role.

I still can't believe that I saw B&R multiple times, but I was 15 and with no social life. Forever I adored, granted the story could have been a tad darker, but the soundtrack and Nicole Kidman made the film for me. Returns was good but I want to hit whoever thought that it would be a good idea to have the Penguin run for office as a story line. Also for some godawful reason we go back to the campy Schumacher formula of B&R could we get DeVito and Schwarzenegger as Evil Twins?

I've still got three of those chisled glasses, all except Robin I believe. Loved those things.

I'll be getting all four DVDs and the Begins special edition eventually. Of course, Batman was my favourite of the four, but Returns was a close second. I still love that movie. Forever was saved by Jim Carrey, and B&R was utter crap apart from some parts of Arnold's character. I'll still buy and watch all of them though.

Not ready to splurge on the DVDs yet, but I really want to hear the director's commentary for B&R and BF. Which one has the better commentary track?

I just want Batman and Batman returns out of the new dvd's. Batman Forever and Batman and Robin just got to corny with the cartoon sound effects and all the neon crap. Batman Forever should have been dark and SHOULDN'T have had Val Kilmer playing Batman, that casting person should be punched in the mouth for deciding that one. And with Batman and Robin...they fucked up Bane. Personnally I think Bane should have been a main villian not some souped up hinchman.