TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Have fun. :)

http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=...rticleid=258951

Yay! A few whacky enthusiasts bought the 360 in Japan!

Following the light-hearted ceremony, the two Microsoft execs got serious, issuing some stern comments about their company's competitors. "History tells us that no great empire lasts forever," said Moore. "In the case of the Sony PlayStation, obviously it has been a great empire. But when a superior culture comes along, typically, it means the end of that empire.

Yeah. Go to hell, Peter.

Aparently, via an article and picture over on Joystiq, you can buy 360's in Japan for 18,000 yen (1/2 off), or $150 US and they still arent selling (1/2 the number of original X Boxes they sold at launch in Japan).

Somehow, I find it funny that Americans bought into the hype and the Japanese no sold it. Microsoft might as well abandon Japan, or else its just going to cost them money. Those conoles sitting on shelves in Japan are consoles that could be flying off the shelves here.

The 150-dollar 360s are only if you sign up with a certain broadband service.

I think they've sold less than 500 360s to date over in Japan.

The # I saw was like 62,000 as of a couple days ago.

And people here in the US would spend buy anything to get a 360 for $150. I know AMEX had a deal for card memebers to get one for a low price..

DS US sales overtake the PSP.

Um, that actually did happen last month.

Source?

The # I saw was like 62,000 as of a couple days ago.

I don't remember where I read the above...but seems it's obviously wrong.

I'm seeing about 41,800 sold, myself.

I GOT MY XBOX 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooooooooooooo and it works fine.

I've given up getting a 360. Looking around was getting me frustrated. I'm going to Best Buy on the 18th when it opens and I better find one. MS is so incompetent. I want to give them $400+ if they'd just have the product....

No its still working....my internet stopped working yesterday through, but that doesn't count.

Guest T®ITEC

The 360's just working at all your technology, bit by bit, until it finally explodes in dramatic fashion.

So I'm thinking about getting a gamepad for my poor little PC. Silent Hill really sucks on the keyboard. Anyone have any recommendations?

Guest T®ITEC

I hate my Xbox. Unless they have an adapter for that. I'll check it out. Thank you, all the same.

EDIT: Oh my hell this game is impossible on the keyboard. I give up.

How many X-Boxes have been sold in Japan (the original)?

Why the friggin' hell does it seem like Microsoft made 10 times that many 360s for the Japan launch?

What was the point of a worldwide launch when MS can't even get enough systems out? How could such a large company be so incompetent? This is like a Nintendo style debacle.

What was the point of a worldwide launch when MS can't even get enough systems out? How could such a large company be so incompetent? This is like a Nintendo style debacle.

That potshot makes no sense.

Territorial lockout on 360 is silly though.

I would just like to say that Call of Duty 2 (360 version) on "Veteran" difficulty is pissing me off. I've made it all the way to climbing the cliffs at Pont du Hoc and I can't go anywhere. The machine gunners are constantly shooting at me (even when I'm ducked down into the trenches where there's NO WAY they can see me) and when I do get to a sniping spot there's a constant stream of soldiers picking up the machine gun so I can't advance. Plus, if I throw smoke grenades, I inevitably get caught in a cross fire. At the rate this is going, then next to last mission (the taking of Hill 400) will be next to impossible.

NPD Releases Xbox 360 Sales Data

Hardware shortages keep November numbers lukewarm.

by Che Chou, 12/16/2005

Folks, the dust has settled. Earlier this week, industry marketing research firm, the NPD group, released its Xbox 360 sales data for the month of November. And luckily for all the pundits and critics out there, Paul Thurrott's Internet Nexus has posted some numbers. The results from all the hype and hoopla surrounding one of the most exciting (and for some, frustrating) console launches in gaming history are, if nothing else, interesting to behold. The fact that Microsoft's flagship launch title, Perfect Dark Zero, was outsold by existing current-gen titles like Madden and Need For Speed Most Wanted must be disappointing for their first-party portfolio. Furthermore, Call of Duty 2 being the best-selling game on Xbox 360, and one of the best in November overall -- who saw that one coming?

Keep in mind that the summaries below are only based on numbers from mid-to-late November, when Xbox 360 games, and then subsequently console, became available for consumption. So without further ado, let the shock and awww begin!

Total number of Xbox 360s sold in the United States in November: 325,902.

Total number of Xboxes sold in the United States in the same number of days following launch: 556,221.

The best selling Xbox 360 title: Call of Duty 2 with 250,730 copies, making it the 3rd best selling console title in November.

The worst selling Xbox 360 title: Ridge Racer 6 with just 9,091 copies sold.

Perfect Dark Zero was the best selling first-party title.

The worst selling first party title was Kameo: Elements of Power, with 73,801 copies sold.

Total number of Xbox 360 games sold: 1,273,352.

Total number of Xbox games sold: 1,334,930.

Total amount of money made by Xbox games: $72,072,729.

Average number of games sold per Xbox 360 console: 3.9.

Average number of accessories sold per Xbox 360 console: 3.

Percentage of wireless controllers sold per Xbox 360: 98%.

The top 10 selling Xbox 360 titles in November were:

Call of Duty 2 (Activision)

Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)

Need For Speed: Most Wanted (Electronic Arts)

Perfect Dark Zero: Limited Edition (Microsoft Games)

Condemned: Criminal Origins (SEGA)

Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft Games)

Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Games)

Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Games)

Quake 4 (Activision)

NBA Live 06 (Electronic Arts)

Source: The NPD Group and Paul Thurrott's Internet Nexus

(Somebody explain to me what the big fat hairy deal is over wireless controllers? They eat up batteries, and are easier to drop/misplace. I've found them to be little more than a novelty at best, and overpriced pieces of junk at worst. At least the Nintendmote is justifiably wireless.

I'm imagine 1st party ones would be made better...but if they're cheaper to be wired, give me wired. )

Edited by AndrewTS

Well Microsoft is pushing wireless controllers as the controller people need to have for consoles now. Their the new controller type! You could buy wired controllers for the system, but you can only use two wired controllers on the 360, you can use 4 wireless through. Besides that if you worried about the controllers eating up the battries, just get a play in charge kit. It's only 20 bucks and it will charge the battery pack that comes with the cord weather your playing or not.

Guest T®ITEC
Silent Hill 2 for PC. $4.25 with tax. ZOMG~ ... So yeah, I'm pretty happy. Gonna wrap it up and toss it under the tree, for fun. Don't want to break my skull against the keyboard due to bad controls or something, so I'll just wait and get a gamepad of some variety.

Furthermore, Call of Duty 2 being the best-selling game on Xbox 360, and one of the best in November overall -- who saw that one coming?

In retrospect, it shouldn't have been too surprising; Call of Duty 2 was usually the game that stores displayed as a playable demo for the X360, so most people that played it in the stores knew that it was the game that they wanted to bring home.

Somebody explain to me what the big fat hairy deal is over wireless controllers? They eat up batteries, and are easier to drop/misplace. I've found them to be little more than a novelty at best, and overpriced pieces of junk at worst. At least the Nintendmote is justifiably wireless.

Couple of reasons.

1. Nobody likes to trip or leap over wires when they're crossing in front of somebody playing a video game.

2. Much easier cleanup - no wires everywhere.

3. Much more conducive to a "pimped out" gaming setup; if you've got your Xbox hooked up to a projector for Halo 2, you want to be able to have some space to enjoy it.

It does seem like a silly waste...until you pick up the Wavebird or the Logitech wireless PS2 controller and realize how convenient it is.

Somebody explain to me what the big fat hairy deal is over wireless controllers? They eat up batteries, and are easier to drop/misplace. I've found them to be little more than a novelty at best, and overpriced pieces of junk at worst. At least the Nintendmote is justifiably wireless.

Couple of reasons.

1. Nobody likes to trip or leap over wires when they're crossing in front of somebody playing a video game.

2. Much easier cleanup - no wires everywhere.

3. Much more conducive to a "pimped out" gaming setup; if you've got your Xbox hooked up to a projector for Halo 2, you want to be able to have some space to enjoy it.

It does seem like a silly waste...until you pick up the Wavebird or the Logitech wireless PS2 controller and realize how convenient it is.

Also, and this is from my sister's husband...certain pets try to chew on the wires. His cats did that.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28338

Video-Game Characters Denounce Randomly Placed Swinging Blades

August 9, 2000 | Issue 36•27 | Special Section: Gaming

WASHINGTON, DC–A coalition of video-game characters representing the nation's leading systems appeared before Congress Monday to decry "the pointless, deadly presence" of spinning blades in video-game landscapes.

Enlarge ImageVideo-Game Characters

A concerned Mario discusses the rotating fireball chains found throughout World 1-4 of Super Mario Bros.

"We are here to demand an end to the shockingly casual placement of dangerous blades in our places of work," said Tomb Raider star Lara Croft, who estimates that she has lost more than 600,000 lives to spinning, falling, swinging, and suddenly appearing blades this year alone. "This kind of thing has been going on since the days of Pitfall Harry, and it has got to stop."

Croft, flanked by Metal Gear's Solid Snake, Super Mario 64's Mario, and both soldiers from Contra, called upon Congress to revise OSHA laws to extend protection to the digitally rendered.

"From Pitfall to Bad Dudes Versus Dragon Ninja to Gauntlet, the deadly spinning blade has been with us so long, we no longer even question it," Croft said. "It's high time it was done away with once and for all."

Exacerbating the situation, Mario said, is the seemingly arbitrary placement of the hazards. "I could see why, if you're in a factory, you might find yourself jumping around on dangerous conveyor belts moving in different directions," he said. "But why would you have conveyor belts in a castle? Or in the middle of a forest? Nintendo and these other companies are always talking about how realistic their graphics are. Well, what's so realistic about killer turtles shooting out of clouds and such?"

Added Mario: "It's-a me, Mario!"

In addition to the standard spinning blade, the coalition is seeking restrictions on random whirling fireball chains, falling blocks, spike-pit traps, and invisible cross-corridor laser arrays.

Legislators listened attentively as the digitized characters told of their near-death encounters.

"Just the other day, I was running through the British Museum's Egyptology exhibit when a bunch of six-foot steel scythes suddenly burst out of a sarcophagus," Croft said. "Fortunately, I managed to leap out of the way at the last possible second. But a situation like that could have easily turned tragic."

"We're not so different from you," the blue-jacketed guy from Double Dragon said. "We just want to be left alone to do our jobs–saving princesses, finding lost treasures, destroying out-of-control nuclear-equipped robots. But it's nearly impossible to go about your daily life when you're living in constant fear of some giant, evil mushroom suddenly lunging at you from out of nowhere."

"I mean, would you put up with a row of whirling knives in the cereal aisle at Safeway?" the Double Dragon guy continued. "Of course not. Why, then, should Duke Nukem have to run through a corridor of them to get the health pack he needs need to survive?"

The characters said they intend to boycott their respective video games until Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and other manufacturers take "significant measures" to improve safety.

"In addition to mandatory warning lights and buzzers at least eight seconds before the appearance of a blade, spike, or other health hazard, we are calling for mapping features in all 3D-rendered environments, large flashing arrows to highlight such hidden objects as health and life bonuses, and, in the case of Sonic Team games, safety guardrails on all loops."

Added Sonic: "And would it kill you to compose better music? I almost didn't finish the jungle part on that last one."

I was just thinking about that a couple days ago when playing through RE4 for PS2. There's this part where Ashley is captured by a randomly placed trap where she leans against the wall and steel bars come out of no where and grab her. It's like, why would the castle builder have installed secret metal bars to kidnap people that just happened to lean against that particular wall? Then later on there's a tunnel that has....spinning blades.

DBZ Budokai 3 has gone GH with a new cover and now features the original Japanese voices (I'm assuming as an option w/ subtitles).

...*shrug*...

Somebody here may care.