TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dogbert

Western backlash against the Liberals

As we all kind of figured would happen, the reaction from Alberta to the passing of the gay marriage bill is one of outrage. The papers have been filled with columns and letters that mainly repeat the same thing: the Liberals' contributions to the "moral bankruptcy" of Canada. These same letters laud our provincial government, and the federal Conservatives, for standing up to the government and showing Alberta's superior morality, in comparison to that of the East.

Here's what bugs me about it: Alberta is in no way, shape or form morally superior to anybody due to our collective (at least, the ones they'll print) stance against the bill. Know why? Because the popular opinion here has nothing to do with what "we" think of homosexuals.

The only reason that the majority of Albertans are against this bill is because the Liberals proposed it. We are, simply, a flock of sheep who will believe whatever someone wearing Tory blue tells us. If the Liberals opposed gay marriage, we'd be all for it out here, complaining that the government was withholding basic human rights from our same-sex brethren. It never changes.

Albertans aren't the hayseed-chewing, cattle-raising, cousin-fucking rednecks we're made to look like: rather, we're simply mindless zombies, brainwashed by the Tories and the media into believing whatever they want us to.

Actually, I'm not convinced that what we are is any better than what non-Albertans think we are.

(Edit: Upon reading this, I think that someone may infer that I believe that homosexuality is morally wrong: this couldn't be further from the truth, in actuality. I am simply trying to point out that the ones who say so don't have the high ground that they think they do.)

Hey man, how come whenever something comes up to do with Albertans, the headline always makes some satement about "western voters?" Like Alberta is "western Canada." I mean, here in BC people are down with same sex marriage, we were the 2nd province to legalize it. And opinion poles put the Conservatives (and especially Steven Harper) at pretty damn low levels of popularity currently. We're very very different from Alberta and the prairie provinces politically. I mean, we don't even really have a provincial conservative party, its either Liberal or NDP. So come on Canada, stop using "the West" to describe Alberta.

This only re-iterates the fact that it should be a provincial decison and not a national one. Couldn't a gay couple from Alberta cross the border into BC to make the move? Clearly most of Alberta doesn't want it to be.

But that's my two cents.

This only re-iterates the fact that it should be a  provincial decison and not a national one. Couldn't a gay couple from Alberta cross the border into BC to make the move? Clearly most of Alberta doesn't want it to be.

But that's my two cents.

I don't know if it's that clear. Honestly, the only letters the papers print and interviews the press will show are the ones who suck up to the Conservative philosophy. Anything else gets swiftly censored or berated publicly. Dr. David Swann (asshat as he is) is a fine example of that.

And the Calgary Sun calls the Toronto Star "Canada's version of Pravda".

See, this is why I support government-mandated civil unions over marriages. They should have just opened up a channel to allow gay couples to receive benefits and let provinces sort the terminology out. In Alberta it's a civil union, in Liberal-topia the same certificate counts as a marriage, and the national government doesn't care.

That way, people in regions who get picky over a word can have it their way, and people in regions who are like "OMG THE GAYZ SHOULD BE MARRIED ANYTHING LESS IS AN OUTRAGE" can see what they want in their province, too.

Hey man, how come whenever something comes up to do with Albertans, the headline always makes some satement about "western voters?" Like Alberta is "western Canada." I mean, here in BC people are down with same sex marriage, we were the 2nd province to legalize it. And opinion poles put the Conservatives (and especially Steven Harper) at pretty damn low levels of popularity currently. We're very very different from Alberta and the prairie provinces politically. I mean, we don't even really have a provincial conservative party, its either Liberal or NDP. So come on Canada, stop using "the West" to describe Alberta.

Yeah, I can't stand that either. Parts of BC are Conservative, but the Greater Vancouver area and especially Vancouver Island are very left wing. The Conservative in the riding beside mine only won because the vote was completely split on the left (something like 33% lib, 33% ndp, 33% tory). There is certainly no noticable backlash against gay marriage, that's for sure.

Listening to some Albertans, they want to wipe their ass with the Canadian flag while waving the provincial flag hoping and praying the Marines will come over and carpetbomb Ottawa.

I still haven't seen one good argument against gay marriage. Pretty much all of them boil down to "the Bible says queering is a sin". (In the same book that says that a woman having her period is a sin.)

I don't know that taking a crap or having a period is a sin, but in Leviticus, the eating of crab is explicitly prohibited, but you don't see any of the Fundies protesting Red Lobster.

The only reason that the majority of Albertans are against this bill is because the Liberals proposed it. We are, simply, a flock of sheep who will believe whatever someone wearing Tory blue tells us. If the Liberals opposed gay marriage, we'd be all for it out here, complaining that the government was withholding basic human rights from our same-sex brethren. It never changes.

Albertans aren't the hayseed-chewing, cattle-raising, cousin-fucking rednecks we're made to look like: rather, we're simply mindless zombies, brainwashed by the Tories and the media into believing whatever they want us to.

Oh, so you're Texas.

I still haven't seen one good argument against gay marriage.  Pretty much all of them boil down to "the Bible says queering is a sin".  (In the same book that says that a woman having her period is a sin.)

It's not that having a period is a sin, it just makes a woman ritually unclean, same as having a wet dream or touching a corpse.

Yep, it's all in Leviticus.

but in Leviticus, the eating of crab is explicitly prohibited

In the New Testament somewhere, Jesus says that it's okay to eat pretty much any animal you want.

This is why Christians don't have to eat kosher.

Not to get into a big thing, but I'm pretty sure the Book of Timothy in the New Testament also talks about homosexuality being a sin, or at least "unclean."