TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

ECW One Night Stand

Is this true  Can anybody else back this up as it seems everyones saying the buyrates are already in 

No. The dot on the chart that represents Bad Blood 2005 is One Night Stand. These are just the estimates so they are not the final numbers, but usually they end up being in the same ballpark.

Guest Brian

Well, it depends. Estimates generally ten to rise. But IIRC, they're generated in much the same way overnights are for networks shows, using top metered markets and such and basing it on heavily populated areas. That means that these could more likely than most WWE numbers, come in lower, if they still generate estimates in a similar fashion. Set your hopes low and you'll be surprised; 800,000 was far, far to unreachable of a target.

Usually they do tend to rise (there are exceptions like WM X-8 which dropped from the estimate), but when I say in the same ballpark I mean that it won't be a noticeable change. It might go up to 300,000 or something like that, but it won't go up to say 500,000. It won't go up enough to change how the show was viewed financially. It is either a success now or will be a failure then.

There's still one reason I'm not 100% buying that figure.

Casual fans bought this PPV. I mean, people who hadn't bought a PPV in years bought this show. Some because they loved ECW, some because they were curious.

Does that mean every regular WWE fan decided they didn't want to see it?

That and people were still talking about this event a week after it happened

Add that with the number of people that have come into work asking me if we got the DVD in yet.

I'm not necessarily saying that the estimate isn't official, but I have to believe it's higher than that until I see the final numbers

This is why I don't really buy this 270,000 figure. There's too much anecdotal evidence that the PPV did better than the avg. PPV. Stuff like sports bars being packed, people buying the PPV that usually don't, the DVD selling very well.

This is why I don't really buy this 270,000 figure.  There's too much anecdotal evidence that the PPV did better than the avg. PPV.  Stuff like sports bars being packed, people buying the PPV that usually don't, the DVD selling very well.

Well ummm, if sports bars are packed, wouldn't that mean a lower buyrate? Because instead of all being at home and ordering themselves, they instead went to place, and gathered to watch, where the PPV was only payed for once..

Guest Brian

No.They're not figured in.

Usually they budget shows low so that they can understate what they're making at that point, and understate how much they hold.

Like I said earlier, a whole different set of barometers.

For one, don't forget that there are a lot of long-time fans that are disenchanted about the product. Remember Meltzer and the oldtime NWA fans. Well, there's probably a good portion of ECW fans in the same boat, who are considered casual fans or guys who haven't watched shows in a while.

DVD's are also word of mouth, and people who saw this at at the bar or somewhere else where they don't have a copy. I don't think it's really that good of an indicator of success of a show's buyrate.

Again, we're on a message board where the good majority of the TARGETED audience bought the show, so you'd expect there to be talk of it afterward here.

It really needs to be repeated that the internet was the intended market here. It makes a lot of sense that TV buyrates were low and webcast buyrates were high.

Especially since webcast is cheaper than satellite/cable, and this seems to be the Mother of all "don't really want to buy it, don't really want to miss it" PPVs as far as the retellings of bar and movie theater showings go. It seems like the internet crowd bit onto it, but not many others did, and those that did were unsure enough about how well the show would be pulled off to watch it somehow other than ponying up the cable fee, like going to a more public performance which only counted as one buy.

People were hesitant until the last minute whether this show would deliver. Adding Raw & Smackdown stars may have added to that hesitation, or it may have not.

Why isnt Eddie on good terms with Benoit anymore? I thought that they were the best of friends. :S

This will probably get off-topic, but I'm thinking it's because Eddie found out he was tapping out clean to Benoit at ONS, got pissed about it, and therefore gave him a bad match on purpose. I already posted that in the "One and Only ECW One Night Stand" thread a while back.

If this is true then Eddies an ass.

Btw, are web cast buy rates included with the numbers?

that number, if true, and there seems to be plenty of confusion in this thread about that and which number where on what chart represents what ppv *head explodes*... anyways, thats not a bad number at all imo, it seems to be about on par with what the lower end WWE ppvs are doing.

For what it's worth I just got the new Observer and Meltzer said that cable insiders pegged the ECW PPV as doing 390,000-430,000 buys. Not an official buyrate I don't guess but a larger figure than what is being mentioned here.

Guest krazykat72
For what it's worth I just got the new Observer and Meltzer said that cable insiders pegged the ECW PPV as doing 390,000-430,000 buys.  Not an official buyrate I don't guess but a larger figure than what is being mentioned here.

Yeah, but then he published on his site the 270k number after the issue came out.

-Paul Jacobi-