TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Angora Jellyfish

So I'm In NYC for 2 Weeks

The best Pizza is usually the one thats not very popular in terms of reviews, and critics, and shit like that. Just go to some unknown pizza place, like Joe's Pizza or some shit like that.

It also depends what type of Pizza you like. I really haven't tried much Pizza out of New York.

Good for you, cuz when I moved to socal I was in for a big surprise. Most of the pizza places here are chains like Pizza Hut or dominoes, or Papa Johns. Then there are local chains such as Toppers, and Round Table (which may have the worst pizza I have ever tasted) It's hard to even find Pizza Parlors (which they dont call them here) that serve single slices (outside of sbarros). Hell if you ask for a large pie, theyll probably respond with "apple or lemon?" The main problem is that people here are so into themselves that they have to be on diets all the time and thus don't like greasy food (well outside of mexican food), meaning the pizza and chinese food and anything else good tastes like crap to outsiders like me. Hell even the ham here sucks, man do I miss Boar's Head. Actually the one thing that is pretty good here is the beef.

Actually you are right, its the small mom and pop type pizza joints that have the best pizza in NY, just look for the smallest, oldest, dirtiest looking one and it will probably have the best pizza you have ever tasted.

yknow I was backin NY 3 years ago and went down to Jersey Shore (saeside heights) for a bit and they had some pretty good pizza on the boardwalk.

Guest Miss Indy Queen
Staying with a friend near Garrison, 156th in the Bronx.

Well like others have said, the best places to find pizza joints is going to mom and pop shops. There is a place called Giovanni's in the Bronx (149th and Grand Concourse) that has really good pizza. They have another pizza place in the bronx, and their pizzas are really large and thick. Dames can vouch me on this suggestion. I live in the Bronx and work in Manhattan and I tend to stay away from chains in the city because all you're going to find is thin pizzas that taste like cardboard!

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I went to New York City one time. Spent most of it in godforsaken The Meadowlands, but did some running around the actual good areas. I walked away with the impression that it's a decent enough place to visit, and the last place in America that I'd want to live. I don't go for big cities much. Atlanta's decent, and I adore New Orleans, San Francisco, and Portland. Southern California wasn't too bad, even if I felt like a total rube. The rest of 'em I've been to just kind of run together, or I have no strong opinion.

Guest Angora Jellyfish

I am a terrible writer, so I'll just mention I ventured to Yonkers for pizza, and was guaranteed the best in the tri state area by a shopkeeper. It was Giuliano's on Yonkers ave. Along with not putting hardly any sauce on the pie, apparently they're cutting back on actually putting cheese on pizza as well. It had the appearance of a cartoon pizza from the TMNT video game for NES, and the taste of an houre d'ovre.

On a more positive note, I went to Daniel's Bagels, which received BEST Bagel in NY honors. EXCELLENT - you can even taste the syrup they used in the boiling process. The lox was out of this world as well. Even though I was extorted $4.50 to cross the Triboro Bridge - and then shaken down even further for $8.50 for a teeny weensy slice of lox I can say it was totally worth it for the thrill of the syrup alone.

I am a terrible writer, so I'll just mention I ventured to Yonkers for pizza, and was guaranteed the best in the tri state area by a shopkeeper. It was Giuliano's on Yonkers ave. Along with not putting hardly any sauce on the pie, apparently they're cutting back on actually putting cheese on pizza as well. It had the appearance of a cartoon pizza from the TMNT video game for NES, and the taste of an houre d'ovre.

As I said before taste is subjective, I have never been to that place before so I dont know. Dont trust what everyone says either. Try the hole in the wall places.

Though my dad has visited home a few times recently there (infact hes there right now) and told me that "A and V" pizza is great, not sure where thats at though.

Guest Angora Jellyfish
I already told you man. The unknown mom and pop shops. Those are the best.

I'm starting to lose my patience.

It was a hole in the wall. The decor looked like something out of Kevin SPacey's apartment in Se7en. You think just because a shop keeper toots his own horn that the place is posh? What should he have said? "Eat-a here? Mah pizza pie taste-a like-a shit!" ?

Stop being a prick because you feel like flaming this morning asshole.

It was a hole in the wall. The decor looked like something out of Kevin SPacey's apartment in Se7en. You think just because a shop keeper toots his own horn that the place is posh? What should he have said? "Eat-a here? Mah pizza pie taste-a like-a shit!" ?

If that's considered flaming, then maybe New York just isn't the place for you.

If that's considered flaming, then maybe New York just isn't the place for you.

LOL I understand your pain dude.

Seriosuly taste is all subjective, if you grew up in NY you will think that the food there is best, just as if you grew up in Chicago, LA, Atlanta, New Orleans, Texas, or what have you. Which is why I always prefice my comments on food with "IMO"

Guest Angora Jellyfish

Ok - I went to John's of BLEECKER STREET in the Village.

Very good crust. Nothing to cum over, but the crust was good, the cheese was good, an the sauce was good. I can sum it up as "perfectly acceptable pizza." Sort of like watching a Chris Benoit v.s. Edge TV match which ends with a roll-up after 7 minutes or so.

At this point, I'm guessing NY Pizza is a little overrated because of New Yorkers emigrating worldwide, spreading urban legends. I can see how it would be wonderful by comparison, if you lived in BumbleFuck Wyoming with a Dominoes and Pizza Hut as your choices. Nothing has blown me away.

Ate at Frankie and Johnnie's in the Bronx, right outside the Bronx Zoo. BEST FUCKING ITALIAN FOOD I'VE EVER HAD. Pasta was perfect, olive oil was fantastic, calimari and scallops were tender. Marinara was fresh as can fucking be. Bread was eh, but there was plenty of other starches that were insane. If coming here was a damnable offense to the lord, I would still recommend it.

Also, snuffbox was correct. There were very reasonable places to shop in the village. Parking was ridiculously hard to find, but that's my fault for driving I guess. Plenty of beautiful women, and they didn't even have handsome or rich looking boyfriends. I'm still glad I'm leaving before the 10 degree winter, but I can say it wasn't a waste of my time totally.

Bottom Line: Cabbies and residents are insane, cost of living is too high for low paying professions, and traffic was obviously designed by a secret society of pigeons so as they would have something to laugh during flight. BUT...ah who gives a shit.

Guest Vitamin X
The best Pizza is usually the one thats not very popular in terms of reviews, and critics, and shit like that. Just go to some unknown pizza place, like Joe's Pizza or some shit like that.

It also depends what type of Pizza you like. I really haven't tried much Pizza out of New York.

Good for you, cuz when I moved to socal I was in for a big surprise. Most of the pizza places here are chains like Pizza Hut or dominoes, or Papa Johns. Then there are local chains such as Toppers, and Round Table (which may have the worst pizza I have ever tasted) It's hard to even find Pizza Parlors (which they dont call them here) that serve single slices (outside of sbarros). Hell if you ask for a large pie, theyll probably respond with "apple or lemon?" The main problem is that people here are so into themselves that they have to be on diets all the time and thus don't like greasy food (well outside of mexican food), meaning the pizza and chinese food and anything else good tastes like crap to outsiders like me. Hell even the ham here sucks, man do I miss Boar's Head. Actually the one thing that is pretty good here is the beef.

You must live a VERY sheltered life in L.A... Although I'll admit there's more of a mom and pop pizza thing in NYC, as it is here in Miami which has a very strong New York influence. Thing is, out there, there's a bunch of great coffeehouses and diners, fantastic places for burgers you won't find many other places, and awesome ethnic food, particularly Japanese and Mexican. The comment about people "being so into themselves that they have to be on diets all the time" is incredibly false and a really bad generalization.

Also, I lived in SoCal almost all my life before I moved here about a year and a half ago, and I've never heard of Toppers and have never eaten at Round Table.

Guest Brian

If I were in New York, I'd head over to the Sturgeon King's to get breakfast. and get a smoked sturgeon plate. Or there's like a hundred good-great restaurants around there.

Fuck the pizza.

Compared to what? Trust me, it's fine.

Then again... when I went to Round Table, this was when I was in the mountains, and it was the only pizza place for 50 miles. And that's the only one I've ever been to. Might have just been that one.

Alright...lets stop fucking around.

As Miss Indy Queen said, Giovanni's Pizza on Fordham and University Ave is my second favorite pizza on earth.

If you don't care for that, there's Brothers pizza on Jerome and Kingsbridge, which is my number 3.

Silvio's Pizza in my old neigherbood, 194th St & Marion Ave is the greatest of all time, IMO...but its not in the best of neighborhoods.

The mom and pop shops really are the place to go.

And fuck anything they market as Pizza in Manhattan.

Dames

Round Table is the worst chain there is, IMO. First of all they don't know how to NOT burn the bottom of the crust, and secondly their prices are fucking outrageous.

Philadelphia > NYC

Friendlier people (you'll always have your assholes either way), less fucking bums begging for money, more interesting shops that don't scream "Hey! We're not TRYING to be different!", more likeable sports teams (Phillies, 76ers, Knicks, Mets, Rangers all blow, so it's basically Eagles/Flyers Vs. Jets/Yankees), better cheesesteaks, less of those annoying EMOtastic college idiots sleeping on streets waiting for tickets to "Rent", cheaper prices for pizza (I'll take a $1.00 slice off of a scary man hanging out his restaurant's window over the $3.50 "deal" because it's "NY - The City", I did like the pizza in little italy NY however).

Take South Street for example, you can walk and see all the good stuff, not take a goddamn subway with your little gold tokens to avoid the lines and potential muggers, cowboys, hippies, or homeless cretins annoying you.

I can't comment on the strip joints of NY, though. I'm sure that's got us beat.

The clubs are way too overpriced in NY. Fuck the A-List of "hot clubs", I don't go there to pay you $40 just so I can stand in the walkway and look at people while waiting to get past a coat check. I can go Philly and pay $10-15 and fucking hook-up with some fucking girl who doesn't act like she's some fucking hot shit that "stepped outta Brooklyn, yo", even though she's from Bergen County.

Sports you got Lincoln Financial Field, nicer than any North Jerz on NYC stadium.

Food you got Pats, Ginos, or Tony Lukes.

Basically, you walk into THE CITY in NY and sit down, you're gonna deal with a buncha pricks and overpriced food.

You find a speakeasy in Philly, you get some proud papa that'll serve you a decent mean and not be a dick.

Basically, go Philly. Our town is nicer per square mile.

Philly's mayor is a horrible scumbag though. How Philly got him I'll never know............

Guest Vitamin X

I always avoided Philly because I thought it was crime-ridden.. [kkktookmybabyaway]then again, that probably came from hearing it was the "City of Brotherly Love"...[/kkktookmybabyaway]

Guest Angora Jellyfish

Just ate at Silvio's, whoever suggested it was basically dead on about it being delicious. $10.00 for a humongous 18 inch pizza, and it easily had the best crust. Tasted almost buttery, and 3 pieces filled me up. I wouldn't say it was a bad neighborhood, just an insanely busy, loud, puerto rican one. Best $60.00 I spent in my life (got pulled over for the cops for driving without a seatbelt. When I asked how in the hell they saw from so far away, I was informed the entire block is under strict surveilance).

Overall, Nicky's on Mamaroneck St. in White Plains was the best pie in NY. Sauce was just plain tastier.

Guest Angora Jellyfish

I wouldn't even BEGIN to compare Philly to NY. The people were friendlier, but there are so many pockets of NY to begin with, I mean...it's TWICE the size of Philly.

Guest Vitamin X

If you want to talk about folks in Philly being friendly, then obviously you haven't heard of the scum that infests Veteran's Stadium and Lincoln Financial.