TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
humongous2002

Why is Cena.....

I can't believe of all the things to complain about; this is one of them.

How hard is this to understand?

Cheap.

It's not complex in any shape or form.

Cheap, it's an insult just like Asshole or "Scum".

It means Jericho is low and resorts to anything it takes to get attention but not by anything of substance.

But it's so stupid, I think that people want to think there is a deeper meaning. I'm a smart guy and I didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

And at the risk of starting a war with many on this board, I have to say.... how in the hell is this guy over and why is he WWE champion?! I've reserved comment for a while because the guy was on Smackdown and I rarely catch the show, but now I have seem him a few times on Raw and literally can't stand a thing he does.

The guy is absolutely terrible in the ring. And not terrible in that he relies too heavily on spots to pop the crowd,, or has a weak looking finisher. He just literally looks like he has no idea what he's doing in there. There is no fluidity to his movement, the matches have no reliance on psychology and he blows spots all the time.

His look is beyond awful. He doesn't look street or thug... he looks like the wiggers you see at the mall who have no idea how ridiculous they look. I don't think anything he does is edgey. In fact it's a ridiculous gimmick and its the sort of thing that makes me embarrassed when I show a non-fan.

Furthermore, he's way overrated on the mic. Although I think he can talk, nothing he says makes me want to pay to see him and none of it gets over the feud or the guy he's working with. He relies too much on the gay bashing and street talk.

Now if you think I'm wrong, enlighten me.

You took the words right out of my mouth. When I saw how huge the cheers were that he was getting, I was assuming he'd improved on the mic during the time I wasn't watching Smackdown, but he really hasn't. That promo against Jericho was one of those that's so embarrassingly bad, I'd have to change the channel if anyone else was in the room.

If anything, it reminds me of Bradshaw's second to last big push. He'd basically say, well, I'm from Texas, I wear the same kind of clothes Austin does, I'm teaming with Austin, and I'm a big rebel drinker like Austin, so if you cheer Austin, you should cheer me. I'm just like Austin, honest I am.

Every promo Cena cuts he's always like, "don't hate me because I'm from the streets, I'm not ashamed of being a thug, I can fight even if I don't fit in with the rich people", and there's NO reason for it in the storyline. It's kind of ironic that his catchphrase is "real recognizes real" because he comes off as a bigger poser than Vanilla Ice ever did.

The worst part is that if they play up is this rich, chosen one vs. poor thug aspect in a feud with Jericho of all people, they're going to hammer it over our heads tenfold when it actually fits the character against people like HHH and Angle.

Well, while West Newbury is one of the seedier parts of Boston...it's not as bad as Compton or parts of NY. Hell, it's not even the worst part of Boston. The thing is...being FROM Mass...when I think Boston, I think punks. Not as in "wow, that kid's such a bitch, what a punk," but like "anarchy, bondage pants, piercings" punk. I wasn't even aware there WAS a rap scene in Boston until a couple years ago when I heard about Made Men.

That said...yeah, the whole gimmick is terrible. It started as a way to make him get over as a heel, because EVERYBODY hates wiggaz, but...it caught on for some reason, and now he's popular. And it's funny...because Jericho has every right to be the face in this feud. He's busted ass for years and years, has done everything there is to do, and now he wants to do it again, but Cena is being a bitch about it. In 5 years, people are gonna go "why did I cheer Cena and boo Jericho again?"

Of course, that's the whole problem with the product in general (not being given a real reason to cheer/boo people), but I digress.

Guest MrBriggs
Maybe he uses too many throws or projectiles in Street Fighter II..

Hahahaha. Well played, good sir.

His look is beyond awful.  He doesn't look street or thug... he looks like the wiggers you see at the mall who have no idea how ridiculous they look.  I don't think anything he does is edgey.  In fact it's a ridiculous gimmick and its the sort of thing that makes me embarrassed when I show a non-fan.

Exactly. If you want somebody who can work and get over using a thug gimmick, go grab Homicide. Not only is Cena completely not a thug or from the streets, my friend from work went to college with him in Springfield, Mass and knew him pretty well.

He said there was absolutely nothing about Cena that was even remotely "thug" and not only that, he wasn't even a wigger yet. He was still a roided, asshole jock. I find this funny, because he's even fake to the point where he's not even a real wigger. Being a hip hop artist, I find his antics absolutely laughable, and every time he tries to use street phrases they come out forced and completely fucking ridiculous. Just listen to the way he says "ya'll" and "peoples". It sounds like he's readin a script and doesnt' come out in even a remotely natural fashion.

I rewatched Cena vs Taker from Vengence last year and found it to be way better then I remember it. Taker gave Cena as much as he's given anybody in a while.

It was two years ago, actually, so your "gave Cena as much as he's given anybody in a while" comment is a lot longer than you think.

Guest MrBriggs

Adding to what I said a couple posts up, I hope the crowd turns on him soon and they turn him heel. I actually liked him when he was a heel because I thought his gimmick was a parody. When his gimmick appeared to be a parody and he had B2 it was actually mildly entertaining. Once he turned face and people started taking him seriously, it has been nothing but unwatchable nonsense for me.

Yeah Cena was a great heel about the point where he was feuding with Eddie over the US title. In fact the parking lot match on SMDN was Cena's best match until the JBL I Quit topped it. Cena is becoming the singles version of the Nasty Boys: Excels in hardcore matches, but for the most part sucks ass in a standard match unless someone carries him (Angle=Hart Foundation, Benoit =Steiners).

I can't help but think when I watch Cena that a better looking, better build Road Dog is holding the WWE title. Let's face it, the guy's matches look like Road Dog matches.

Except Road Dogg is enertaining and didn't squash every heel in the midcard during one summer

Except Road Dogg is enertaining and didn't squash every heel in the midcard during one summer

^Not Cena's fault.

Man, I forgot how much the 'net hated Cena. I personally am not offended by him. Sure, his in-ring work is bland, but he's carryable and the crowds are always into his matches. I have a feeling he's capable of more than he shows; It's sort of like "The Rock effect" where he gets complacent and just does whatever pops the crowd.

As far as mic skills go, he's pretty hit-and-miss. His first promo with Christian on Raw was good, but then he went to the Hassan promo where he accused Hassan of being tied up while Daivari gives him spankings (Oh, glorious spankings!). Then he cuts a decent one against Jericho two weeks ago, but this week's was pretty bad. But if I'm gonna rip his bad promos, I'll give him credit when he gets one right. To say he has bad mic skills in general is pretty ridiculous, though.

The other plus he brings is his charisma. Whether you like him or not, he's easily the most over guy on the roster, so that helps all of his matches and feuds. It's not a bad business move to have the title on your most over guy.

Guest KingofHarts
It's not a bad business move to have the title on your most over guy.

Actually I disagrre with this. The titles should be used to a) move a person from one card to another (i.e. Christian gets the title and moves from Mid-Card to true Main Eventer) or b) to get somebody over. If a person is already over and in there card there is no reason they need the Title. And the ones that don't need itand continue to have it eventually turn to it like a crutch and actually come to depend on it. And when they finally lose it no longer know to stay over (Ala Orton) Or worse yet being the Title holder becomes your gimmick (Paging Mr. Lavesque McMahon)

Guest MrBriggs

I guess I'm not offended by him, but the way he plays his gimmick is an absolute slap in the face to anyone who's ever spent even 5 minutes in the ghetto.

"HEY YAWL IM JAWWWWNN CENA!!! WORD LYFEE!!!!!"

Yeah, that's just how it goes.

PS. "YO YO YO YO.. HOW YAWWL GON' SPREAD MAD CHEAP SAUCE ON MAH PEOPLES!?!?!!"

He makes me want to fuckin vomit sometimes.

Actually I disagrre with this. The titles should be used to a) move a person from one card to another (i.e. Christian gets the title and moves from Mid-Card to true Main Eventer) or b) to get somebody over. If a person is already over and in there card there is no reason they need the Title. And the ones that don't need itand continue to have it eventually turn to it like a crutch and actually come to depend on it. And when they finally lose it no longer know to stay over (Ala Orton) Or worse yet being the Title holder becomes your gimmick (Paging Mr. Lavesque McMahon)

I disagree, but I think our points are interrelated.

(A) First, I don't think titles should be used to make someone a main eventer. At least not the main titles. I think a person needs to have a feud that gets them over to the point where the fans want to see them win the tile, or for heels, makes it believeable that they could be a threat.

(B) The thing is, to get someone over, the title has to be on someone who is over. The feud is what gets people over, not the belt. If you feud with someone who's over, your crowd reaction is greater, fans pay attention to you, and you get more over. So as long as Cena jobs to someone other than HHH, there will probably be more interest in the new champ.

Cena made it very clear that the "cheap" comment was based on how Jericho would waste everyone's time blathering on about his past accomplishments - seriously, the Jericho character hasn't done anything worthwhile in over two years. The entire promo built up to that one insult.

Additionally, I can't believe how people want to paint Cena in a bad light, especially the posts about Cena being complacent, when it's really about character development. The guy was just beginning on a STRONG heel run, maybe with a program against Benoit or a continued one with Angle, when they allowed the fans to make the call. The character was not finished being told when they did the face turn, which is unlike any of the company's past successful characters. If you look at ALL of the past stars of the Attitude era, did any of these not look complacent through a face run?

-- Austin did all of his work in late 1996/1997 and the summer of 2001. The best memories of him are during his heel runs.

-- Rocky is obvious.

-- Kane is obvious.

-- HHH is obvious, bombed as a top face.

-- Angle is obvious, bombed as a top face.

-- Taker is obvious, doing the same schtick for years, making slight adjustments during an occasional heel turn.

...and so on and so on.

It's debatable whether Cena needs another heel run to cement his character. Why is he now playing to the crowd? What defined his heel character and what defines his face character? With that, could he survive as star doing a tweener character?

I don't think Cena can turn heel now. He'll probably just have to keep doing the same thing until the crowd gets tired of him. But right now, he's just too hot.

I see nothing wrong with Cena calling Jericho cheap. I agree with the person earlier who said that Jericho used to be the Undisputed champ & can't really do anything of worth ever since losing (the highlight reel, all the talk of his albums & I'm pretty sure Cena's 1 album outsold all 5 of Jericho's which is pretty damn sad).

What importantly bothers me is all the unnecessary Cena bashing. I understand that he's not the best guy in the ring & all but like many others have said, the guy has charisma & I believe that his in-ring spots (5 knuckle shuffle, spinning back suplex, ect) help get the crowd into his matches. The FU looks better now ever since WM 21 when he started to drop down to his ass when slamming them. Props to whomever told Cena to do so. Makes the move look a bit more credible now.

As far as Cena's gimmick goes, I really don't get where some of you are coming from. Cena is a "poser" or a "wigger" b/c of his gimmick? Firstly, how is he a poser? He portrays a RAPPER, nothing more. I believe most of the "wigger" (damn I hate that word) comments are coming from people thinking Cena doesn't fulfill some kind of bullshit qualifications of being a rapper.

It seems as if to be a rapper nowadays you HAVE to be from the hood and/or the ghetto, have been shot numerous times & slanged rocks (sold drugs). That's BS & it's hurting the hip-hop industry. If people would stop seeing shit in black & white all the time then hip-hop would be better today.

Some of you say that Cena comes off goofy or as a dork? Well, who here saw that Jamie Kennedy movie from '04 (don't remember the exact year) ? I think it was called 'Malibu's Most Wanted'. It featured Jamie Kennedy posing as a rapper & most of the humor of the movie came from him immitating hip-hop culture & coming off as a corny white boy. Average racial humor. Now, seeing as how goofy Jamie Kennedy was in that movie can any of you honestly say that Cena is anywhere NEAR Kennedy's level of goofyness that was portrayed in that movie? For me, HELL NO.

Anyway, to close this, I don't see how Cena is supposed to be portraying a "thug" or a "gangsta" with his gimmick. He's never came out & claimed he's been shot 9 times or talks about shooting people. I see Cena's character as a take-no shit, hip-hop influenced wrestler. You do NOT have to be from the "hood" or the "ghetto" to be a rapper.

Edited by Da Maintenance Man

Well, if you watched the promo Monday, Bischoff, Jericho, and Cena himself, all referred to Cena as a "thug" multiple times. The fact that he's trying so hard to play up that side of his character is one of the major complaints about him.

Well the hilarious thing about Cena looking like a suburban wigger that isn't from the street is that, well, that's true.  I mean the guy is from a suburb of Boston, isn't he?  I'm not sure where W. Newbury is but it hardly sounds like the guy is from Compton or East St. Louis.  MA is associated with bluebloods, Irish drunks, and paranoid Red Sox fans.  It's not exactly a place to be from if you want thug street cred.

I strongly disagree ... yeah, it's not Compton or ESL, but Boston's not exactly the friendliest place on earth: http://www.bostonbeatdown.com/

I'll agree that if you're looking for "gangsta" cred, yeah, Boston's not the baddest place to be from. But Boston's got a lot more than bluebloods.

It's not a bad business move to have the title on your most over guy.

Messrs. Hogan and Austin made huge $$$ being the most over & the titleholder.

I'm sure Boston, like a lot of towns, has some bad neighborhoods. But I mean it'd be like me saying I'm from the street since I'm from Louisville....yeah Louisville has some bad areas too but it's hardly like saying "I'm from the mean streets of Detroit."

Sure Cena isn't as much of a wigger as Jamie Kennedy in that movie, or the kid from the Pretty Fly For a White Guy video. He has to be taken seriously to some degree.

I'll tell you what Cena reminds me of, because I've seen the type. The sort of white guy who will listen to rap, be influenced by black culture, but not really like any black people.

And the Road Dog entertaining?? When was this?

Cabbageboy, is it a coincidence that the three cities that you chose to reference as scary cities are all very black? Compton, East St Louis, and Detroit are all considered to be very black urban cities ... is that the reason why they're scarier than other cities?

/not a flame, or a challenge, but a legit question

And the Road Dog entertaining??  When was this?

Road Dogg was perfectly fine as a midcard wrestler, particularly considering he spent large amounts of time working with Billy Gunn, Chyna, and X-Pac. I can't speak for his TNA work, I haven't seen enough of it.

I see nothing wrong with Cena calling Jericho cheap. I agree with the person earlier who said that Jericho used to be the Undisputed champ & can't really do anything of worth ever since losing (the highlight reel, all the talk of his albums & I'm pretty sure Cena's 1 album outsold all 5 of Jericho's which is pretty damn sad).

What importantly bothers me is all the unnecessary Cena bashing. I understand that he's not the best guy in the ring & all but like many others have said, the guy has charisma & I believe that his in-ring spots (5 knuckle shuffle, spinning back suplex, ect) help get the crowd into his matches. The FU looks better now ever since WM 21 when he started to drop down to his ass when slamming them. Props to whomever told Cena to do so. Makes the move look a bit more credible now.

As far as Cena's gimmick goes, I really don't get where some of you are coming from. Cena is a "poser" or a "wigger" b/c of his gimmick? Firstly, how is he a poser? He portrays a RAPPER, nothing more. I believe most of the "wigger" (damn I hate that word) comments are coming from people thinking Cena doesn't fulfill some kind of bullshit qualifications of being a rapper.

It seems as if to be a rapper nowadays you HAVE to be from the hood and/or the ghetto, have been shot numerous times & slanged rocks (sold drugs). That's BS & it's hurting the hip-hop industry. If people would stop seeing shit in black & white all the time then hip-hop would be better today.

Some of you say that Cena comes off goofy or as a dork? Well, who here saw that Jamie Kennedy movie from '04 (don't remember the exact year) ? I think it was called 'Malibu's Most Wanted'. It featured Jamie Kennedy posing as a rapper & most of the humor of the movie came from him immitating hip-hop culture & coming off as a corny white boy. Average racial humor. Now, seeing as how goofy Jamie Kennedy was in that movie can any of you honestly say that Cena is anywhere NEAR Kennedy's level of goofyness that was portrayed in that movie? For me, HELL NO.

Anyway, to close this, I don't see how Cena is supposed to be portraying a "thug" or a "gangsta" with his gimmick. He's never came out & claimed he's been shot 9 times or talks about shooting people. I see Cena's character as a take-no shit, hip-hop influenced wrestler. You do NOT have to be from the "hood" or the "ghetto" to be a rapper.

Just having spots that can pop a crowd mean nothing unless you know how to work them into the context of the match. I'll be the first to admit I haven't watched a ton of his work, but it often seems like the FU will come out of nowhere, or there will be a bunch of boring restholds followed by one of his "signature" moves. It would make more sense if he knew when and where to use these moves in order to keep the crowd interested in the match, instead of just waithing for the recognizable spots.

So Cena portrays a rapper? Know who else did? PN News. Van Hammer was supposed to be a heavy metal guitarist. Did anyone want these guys to be world champ? So he may not be Jamie Kennedy from Malibu's Most Wanted (Scotty II Hotty might though), but the gimmick is still ridiculous. I don't think he has to be from the hood or have been shot to be a rapper. It's just that anyone who respects that genre of music at all can realize how much he sucks and how ridiculous the whole thing comes off.

Does Cena have charisma? Yes. Can he work the mic? Yes. Does he, in his current gimmick, make me change the channel every time he is on? Yes. That shouldn't be the reaction from a life-long WWE fan who puts up with all their crap.

So Cena portrays a rapper?  Know who else did?  PN News.  Van Hammer was supposed to be a heavy metal guitarist.  Did anyone want these guys to be world champ?  So he may not be Jamie Kennedy from Malibu's Most Wanted (Scotty II Hotty might though), but the gimmick is still ridiculous.  I don't think he has to be from the hood or have been shot to be a rapper.  It's just that anyone who respects that genre of music at all can realize how much he sucks and how ridiculous the whole thing comes off.

I might be wrong - and I don't like rap that much, so really can't judge for myself with any real accuracy - but I thought that he was considered remotely talented? Certainly not comparale to PN News and his cartoonish raps.

So Cena portrays a rapper?  Know who else did?  PN News.  Van Hammer was supposed to be a heavy metal guitarist.  Did anyone want these guys to be world champ?  So he may not be Jamie Kennedy from Malibu's Most Wanted (Scotty II Hotty might though), but the gimmick is still ridiculous.  I don't think he has to be from the hood or have been shot to be a rapper.  It's just that anyone who respects that genre of music at all can realize how much he sucks and how ridiculous the whole thing comes off.

I might be wrong - and I don't like rap that much, so really can't judge for myself with any real accuracy - but I thought that he was considered remotely talented? Certainly not comparale to PN News and his cartoonish raps.

Yeah, the PN News comparison was probably a little harsh. I still wouldn't call his rapping good by any stretch. Passable, maybe.

I didn't know you needed to live the gimmick to use it.

Also, you'd have an argument here, except he's over. He's more over than anyone else right now. So all your points are moot, till the rest of the millions of people don't give a damn about him anymore. Till then, suck it up.

I don't think Cena can turn heel now. He'll probably just have to keep doing the same thing until the crowd gets tired of him. But right now, he's just too hot.

The rousing chorus of boos he was getting from certain sections of the crowd on Monday call bullshit on your "too hot" theory.

Guest MrBriggs
I don't think he has to be from the hood or have been shot to be a rapper.  It's just that anyone who respects that genre of music at all can realize how much he sucks and how ridiculous the whole thing comes off.

Does Cena have charisma? Yes.  Can he work the mic?  Yes.  Does he, in his current gimmick, make me change the channel every time he is on? Yes.  That shouldn't be the reaction from a life-long WWE fan who puts up with all their crap.

God, thank you, sir, for hitting the nail right on the head. The whole thing is a fucking joke.